Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 318ti

Comments

• wassabiwassabi Posts: 3
    I bought a '98 IT active package with 20K about 2 months ago. Today I had the oil changed at the local BOW dealership. I had several items covered under warranty such as passenger's side mirror adjust was malfunctioning, bad odor emanating from ventilation system with a.c.off and just fan running, drivers door stereo speakers not working. The first two items were covered under warranty, but the third, malfunctioning speakers, was not... due to wires being left unplugged by the last service etch to work in the door. I was very pleased with the dealership and the warranty service policy. They even washed and vacuumed my car! This is my first BOW and if all remains at this level of satisfaction or better I believe I may be a convert for life! In my many years of owning Honda's(3), Toyota's(2), Volvo's(1), Scab's(1), Mercedes(2), Porsche(1) I've never had such a wonderful experience driving and owning such a wonderful auto, or visiting a service department.

I'm going to need new tires in about 5k miles. A former BOW service manager suggested Michelin's MXV4 205/60 R15 H. Anyone know these tires. I don't need to drive 120 any more! I know that there is some trade off of longevity for sticky high speed/performance tires. Still, I'd like some road hugging ability.
    Thanks,
    Wassabi
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I would stay away from the Michelin MXV4. They are loud at highway speeds, have terrible traction in the rain and snow, and have a problem with sudden loss of grip with little to no warning (I found that out the hard way when I spun 90 degrees with no warning while attepting a turn at 35mph). They are relatively comfortable riding tires and lasted about 35-45K without being rotated often, but the noise was just plain annoying and the rain traction a bit scary. They also hydroplaned easily. This experience was with a 92 Accord with 15" wheels. If they sucked on a front drive car, just imagine how bad they would be on a rear drive car. I would suggest maybe the Michelin Pilot XGT H4 or V4 (not the non-Pilot XGT H4 or V4, because they have horrible wet traction), Pirelli P6000, Bridgestone RE950, or Dunlop D60 A2. Check out http://www.tirerack.com They have excellent reviews of tires and how customers rated them. They also have significantly cheaper prices than you will find at any tire chain store and deliver right to your door. I have ordered through them many times and have been very happy with their customer service.
  • wassabiwassabi Posts: 3
    Thanks Ingtonge18 for your insight and info. I visited Tirerack's website and am considering the Yokohama AVS db. I currently have 205/60 15's on the BMW 5 spoke alloys. What will be the result of going with 215/60 15's. Thanks in advance for any info.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    If you want to go with 215 section tires, I would get 215/55 not 215/60, because the 215/60 will have a slightly taller sidewall than your current tires and will cause the speedometer to read a little slower than you are actually going. If that doesn't bother you any, than don't worry about it. The larger 215 tires will enhance braking stability and roadholding over the standard 205 and make the wheelwells look fuller and sportier.
  • slm62slm62 Posts: 1
    Hi - I'm new to this board but would appreciate anyone's input. I'm considering purchasing a 95 318ti w/71,000 miles. Interior and exterior is in immaculate condition, the owner has all service records and it seems to be in great condition. I was going to take it to a mechanic to give an "check-up". The guy is asking 10,500 which seems reasonable according to Kelly but a little high according to Edmunds. Suggestions for fair price? It does have the Sport Package, cloth interior, sunroof, cruise etc. Thanks for your help!
  • mary1117mary1117 Posts: 1
    This morning I took my car (318ti) into the dealer for scheduled maintenance (the yellow and red lights were on). After going through a long list of inspections that they were going to perform, the cost they gave me was $1280.00! This seems a bit excessive, and it is not the price that I am going to pay (I am only having them perform a few of the items on the list for about $250). Does anyone have any insight as to why it would be so expensive for inspection and maintenance? My car is a 1995 318ti with 60,000 miles. Please respond...
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    If the dealer is proposing to do an Inspection II, along with major brake work and other repairs, the cost could be quite high - what are they including in the estimate?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Paying a dealer to perform an Inspection II will set you back $500-$700. A good independent BMW shop may charge one-half that amount- especially with a BMW CCA discount. Like silver bullet, I'd want to see what else is on the list.
  • pa559pa559 Posts: 4
    Found a super clean 1996 318ti with "M" package and only 36,000 miles on it. The only problem that I can see is that the wheels and tires may not be the right ones for this model with the "M" package. Title search shows that this was a one owner car prior to being traded in. Tire size on the car now is 185/65R15 on plain steel rims with a plastic BMW wheel cover or hubcap. Tires are new Michelin's. Dealer has about five other BMW's on his lot and a service area not open to the public. My big question is have the wheels been switched on this particular vehicle? My second question is can this car run on regular or does it require premium? This is my first BMW so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    If the car you are looking at really did come with the "M" kit, then it has lost its original wheels somewhere along the way. The original wheels were 16" alloys with five rounded face spokes. Are you sure someone didn't take a base car and just stick on a couple "M" kit parts, like the body pieces?
    Called my local dealer and service dept. manager about the car in question. He ran the vin and it did come with the sport package. Seats are correct as is the front end and body side moulding. I also ran the vin and the title number as per carfax. Got the prior owners name and address. I'll give him a call and see if he traded the car in with the sport wheels that it came with. Does anyone know what tire size is correct from the factory with this package? Also, do foglights come with the package? If anyone can give me a list of all the items that come with the sport package I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    If it is a sport package, as opposed to the much rarer "Club Sport" edition, I can recall the following items:
    * M Technic body kit (front valance, sideskirts, and rear diffuser)
    * Leather/cloth sport seats
    * Sport suspension
    * 225/50-16 performance tires on 16x7 (maybe 7.5?) five-spoke alloys -- Style J wheels?

That's all I can recall. The Club Sport cars also had the sexy rear view mirrors from the M3. No changes to the engine, transmission or brakes that I remember. Foglights were part of the sport front valance. I believe SR, LSD or ASC+T, and maybe the onboard computer were optional.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    The Club Sport was only offered in 1995. 1996 and later Sports were essentially Club Sports without the M3 mirrors. Are the Michelins Artic Alpins? The PO may have traded the car with the snows.
    Thanks for the info. I ran a DOR check on the car and found that it was a corporate fleet car for a local BMW dealer. It probably was a car given to one of the principal's kids then went straight to the dealer I'm trying to deal with right now. The BMW dearer can't swap wheels on a car without a ton of paperwork and disclosure statement that would create a paper trail that would still be with the car at this point. I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow afternoon and see what kind of a deal we can make. I think he switched the wheels for a prior customer or another car on his lot. Everything else checks out for a proper sports package. I'll let know what happens next. Thanks for the sports package info.
    MB has just announced a new hatchback that looks like a steamlined 318ti. Has anyone heard anymore about a new 318ti or an updated model? Seems that MB moved into the slot that BMW had with the best looking hatchback on the market. I must admit the new MB looks really good.
    The new BMW hatch is not destined for the U.S. - good thing, too, because it is an embarassingly ugly design. We will likely see the new Valvetronic engine technology, however.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I think BMW got gunshy about selling the hatch here, because it sold poorly (the old-style suspension and 1.8 engine didn't help, IMHO).

I still think they'll bring it here IF the new
    M-B 230 hatch does really well. We'll see.

The problem with any lowest-rung model in a luxury marque is options and their prices. Sure, these cars start at $25k, which is what draws customers. By the time you option it the way even the most basic luxury car should be equipped (sunroof, leather, CD), you're at $30k, a price point at which other cars start to look a lot more tempting.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    So how's your BMW 318ti doing? Perhaps you can give us a report.... ;-)

To everyone- Be sure to check out the Additional Resources on the left side of the page. I just added a couple links, including Edmunds' Road test of the 1996 318ti. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • marts1marts1 Posts: 2
    My 1998 ti was going great until recently.A transmission seal leaked "catastrophically" while
    the car was parked overnight.Didn't notice it the next morning because it was still dark.Result? The
    transmission was ruined during my 83 mile commute.
    Any similar experiences? By the way,it's an auto
    trans and the car had 62k miles on it.$3,500 later (rebuilt trans installed),everything appears to be OK.
This discussion has been closed.