Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

mznmzn Posts: 727
Friends, I had to freeze our earlier discussion
because after 500 posts or so, things can get
unstable. So, let's continue our conversation here.

There is always something good to say about this
lovely car!

carlady/host

Comments

• scarls13scarls13 Posts: 11
    Since the last thread was frozen, I'll repost here ...just in case!

Hello, everyone...I'm new to this site, and I'd
    appreciate a bit of advice!

I just graduated from college and I'm looking at
    getting either a 99 GLS 2.0 Beetle, a 99 GLS 2.0
    Jetta, or a 99 Dodge Stratus. I have my heart set
    on a Beetle, but I doubt I can afford it unless I
    can get it under MSRP. I've been to one dealer
    here in Grand Rapids, Michigan (there are two VW dealers in town), and they seemed very helpful and nice, but I haven't yet asked about price on the Beetles. I'm wondering - is there anyone here
    within a few hours drive of Grand Rapids that knows of a dealer that would sell for less than MSRP? And should I wait till July or August since the 2000's are coming? And finally, would you expect that my chances for a deal on a Jetta would be better since the Beetles are the hot sellers right now?

Thanks in advance!
    Steve
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Thank you Steve. It is hard to find the right place to close out a discussion. I did put a note in the frozen discussion directing folks to answer your question here.

Have you tried Auto-by-tel? It can't hurt and it might help!

carlady/host
    Ahhhh, nevermind. I went to a dealer today, and they have a four month waiting list for Beetles. I think I might get a Jetta instead! I got a pretty decent deal ($800 under invoice for a GLS 2.0 with AT) and the guy I worked with was awesome. Very nice, didn't play any games...

Thanks anyways!

Steve
    Oops, I mean $800 under MSRP, not invoice...;-)

Steve
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    Jettas are nice cars, I did just the opposite, went in to look at a 99 Jetta and bought a Beetle instead. My dealer has more Jettas in stock than any other VW model, even a few TDI's. Still happy with the 99 GLS New Beetle.
  • suldes2suldes2 Posts: 2
    Waited on lists for 9 months for a cybergreen turbo and jumped the gun when I came across a Dark Blue w/cream turbo sitting on a dealer's lot. Drove it and bought it. Impressions: First, I'm 6/7" (had 4 bugs in past life) and even though I have a sunroof, I have a ton of room in all directions. The seats are plenty comfortable (215lbs) and with the telescoping/rotating wheel, anyone should find a comfort level. Even the ratchet for seat height works real well. Second, the turbo is quiet and powerful. So much pull through the gears--even with the AC on and in 5th gear at 70mph. Third, all around mileage is 29-30. Fourth, sunroof is excellent. Fifth, fit and finish was superb. No squeaks, rattles or mystery noises. Sixth, trunk is lame, but, it's a bug! Beats putting it under the hood --like the old days.
    One problem: how dumb is having a spoiler that deploys at 93mph? Even dumber is the placement of the hidden button for manual deployment. For such a well thought out car, this is just... dumb.
    Last positive note: I just love getting in this car and driving. I loved the old ones, and that feeling has been successfully translated back into this wonderful (not so) little bug.

PS: MSRP and great dealer at NEMER VW in Albany NY
  • mintcar25mintcar25 Posts: 1
    Thanks for letting me know about the Turbo Bug. I want a cyber green one too and I love that spoiler!? ARe you kidding me that it deploys at 93mphs and you have to hunt around to manually deploy it!? I'm laughing my head off. Thanks for warning me about that. I'll skip the Turbo and get back to basics for my new bug.

-- BeetleBabe --
  • coherencecoherence Posts: 6
    Spoilers do absolutely nothing for the performance of a car until you reach speeds of over 90 mph.

What makes it truly hypocritical, is that most cars have tires that are only rated up to 88 mph, beyond which they are exponentially more likely to blow out.

Both speeds (tire rating and spoiler effectiveness) are over the legal speed limit as well.

In the end, spoilers are worth nothing more than appearance. If you have a "Turbonium," you may as well deploy it manually and leave it that way.
  • toddhtoddh Posts: 1
    Interesting comments on the New Beetle. I'm shopping the vehicle, and am still a little "green" on it, though I've been tracking popularity and MSRP loosely since '98. Any info anyone can offer on whether they think the turbo is worth the extra $$ over the other gas models is appreciated. I'm also interested in the ACTUAL price people have paid for their Beetles, if I may be so bold as to ask. I'm in a quandry between going for a new one, or saving a few bucks and looking for a 98. Any insight is welcomed. Thanks in advance to all replies.
  • suldes2suldes2 Posts: 2
    Read BeetleBabe's comments and was sad to hear that the spoiler deal would "spoil" you thoughts about the turbo. The spoiler was a half-baked idea at best, or meant for those who cruise the autobahn, but it is neat anyway. And don't just settle for the gas model. If you want to really zip and never want for power, go for the turbo. I've compared the two and the difference is enormous. And when all is said and done, pull up alongside a gas Veedub and contort your wrist and pop that spoiler button-- and smile!
  • copelandukcopelanduk Posts: 14
    doesn't the spoiler reset (lower) if you go below 10mph, I don't know where I heard this but I would like to hear from some direct experience. If so does this mean you have to be over 10mph while you are reaching for that button?
  • I have two teenagers, one driving and one wanna drive, and currently have a 96 Dodge Caravan which I love. Unfortunately, I also have beetle mania and want a bug. I was thinking of talking my son into driving the van for two years and getting myself a NB. Will the 2000 models provide us wannabugs with some leveraging regarding price and dealers without heart? I can wait, but not long.

Thanks
  • karnesjmkarnesjm Posts: 15
    Seeking red, silver, or white GLS 5 spd 1.8T. We are located in a "low volume" VW area and the dealers nearby just don't get many NBs. Will consider flying if right car and at MSRP. Simply won't pay over MSRP and willing to wait.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    sredmon149, if you can talk a teenager into driving a van for 2 years while you drive a New Beetle, you have my deepest admiration! :-)

carlady/host
  • mlleb70mlleb70 Posts: 1
    I am currently in the throes of decision-making regarding the purchase (or lease) of my next vehicle. One model I am seriously considering is the '99 New Beetle GLS (silver). I test drove it and thought it handled well. Of course, I was charmed by its styling -- there's no other late-model car on the road today that even comes close to the personality offered by the NB.

I am concerned, however, that this car may turn out to be all style and no substance.

Is this an unwarranted fear? I'd love to hear from any NB owners out there and what, if any, problems they've had with their NBs. Save me from buying a Civic!!!
  • laturjlaturj Posts: 45
    hi,
    besides the often mentioned trunk rattle (for the 98's) we have had no problem with our NB through 8500 miles. VW really is a better car than a decade ago, I don't think the same issues about quality apply. If you are really concerned consider the extended warranty, you already have 2 year complete and 10 year powertrain.

by the way, whay is the facination with everyone wanting to pay less then msrp?? It is soo relative and in many ways msrp is arbitrary, it's all part of the game, I know. Just decide if you like the car at that money, compare it with other cars at 3% over invoice (for the other cars) and decide. Don't let the feeling that you HAVE to get less than msrp, because that is the norm, prevent you from buying what you want.
  • laturjlaturj Posts: 45
    I should have added DONT pay over msrp, that is part of the game that i believe in not acceptable.

ahhh, but what do I know (i did get ours at msrp, here in austin texas)
  • karnesjmkarnesjm Posts: 15
    We drove and loved the New Beetle (NB).
    The Honda has a good reliability record, but has zero personality. The #1 reason we are pusuing a NB is resisdual value. NO car matches the NB for resale value. Used '98 NBs are selling for more than the original MSRP.
  • Hi, I've read all 500+posts and need to know from the current TDI owners/drivers if they are all driving a stick-??
  • coherencecoherence Posts: 6
    karynsells,

I read a few conflicting reports, but it seems the New Beetle TDI is strictly manual. No automatic transmission available.

That's very disappointing to me, considering how much automatic helps resale value. Of course, we are also talking about a diesel, and that can hurt the resale value, as well. Unfortunately, there is a certain stigma attached to diesel cars, that they are noisy, polluting, gas-guzzlers. This is not the case with modern diesel engines (except the noisy part, perhaps), but many people remain ignorant.

I had been considering a TDI when gas prices skyrocketed here on the west coast, but changed my mind when I found out that automatic transmission was unavailable.

If anyone from VW reads this: BIG MISTAKE!! ;-)