Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    And you people keep buying these cars despite all this. Whose fault is that? VW wuill not improve the quality if they can sell their crap at premium prices and then pretend that nothing is wrong and refuse any warranty coverage.
  • While looking at VW brochures for a 2005 & 2006 Beetle...they both say under type of gas....unleaded(premium recommended)...does your Beetle run ok with regular unleaded???? or do you need premium for better mileage???
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    The 1.8T requires hi-octaine fuel to protect against detonation. (holes in the pistons) With the other engines using low-octaine fuel, the knock-sensor will retard the ignition timing and you may not get optimum performance.
  • manraymanray Posts: 8
    The check oil and temperature lights both come on (beep and flash) constantly. I know it does not need oil and the temp light stays on long after the car has been warmed up. I have talked to the VW dealer, but they won't know until the investigate ($$)....has anyone here had the same problem and if so, what was the cause and cost??
  • Hey...glad to find you.
    I bought my 1999 beetle just last week and I already got the check engine light on!
    I called the dealer as I have a 3 month warranty and he told me that is totally normal in the VW cars....oh, well, I thought it'll dissapier in a couple of days but it didn't. Then, I called the dealer again and asked him for a car report (last oil change and all that info. He claims he doesn't have anything else than the CARFAX report)...So I just went and had the oil change and the 75,000 miles inspections. The light went off only for a couple of days and I got it back on again.
    VW will charge 180 dollars only for the diagnosis. Is this normal?
    The oil pressure lamp NEVER EVER means that you need oil. I hope you do not really think that is what it means.

There is a reason it is called an "oil pressure" lamp. When the oil-pressure is low, it meas that the moving parts are not getting the proper lubrication and the engine may soon become an expensive boat anchor.

In general, on VW/AUDI vehicles, if a lamp is FLASHING along with an ALARM (beep) there is somthing serious that needs immediate attention.

You should not even START the engine until an oil-pressure test is done to determine if this is a false-alarm or somthing more serious.

You have been warned!
    Yes, it is normal for mechanics to charge for diagnosis, They have to spend their time on your vehicle and also have bills to pay for their diagnostic equipment. It is NOT normal for the CEL (Check EngineLight) to be on. Nor is it normal for them to CHARGE you if you have a 3-month warantee.

Since you mention that you have some sort of 3-month warantee... (I assume from VW dealership) then THEY are under the gun to fix it. A CEL means that your car AUTOMATICALLY fails emmissions test.

More good news is that your car is covered under the extended MAF (Mass AirFlow Meter) warantee. (7 years/70,000 miles) So if the problem is the MAF, you should not have to pay ANYTHING for diagnostic nor repair.
  • I own a 2004 New Beetle 1.8L Turbo Convertible with the 6 speed automatic transmission. I have never had a problem with the car, but my opinion is a bit tainted. I rarely drive it. It is always garaged. I bought it 7/2/2004, new, and with 400 miles on it. As of 1/23/2006, it has 6,453 miles on it, so I haven't driven it enough to get it "broken in" good. It has lots of power, and is an excellent driving vehicle for both city driving & long trips. The transmission seems to work really well. It gets around 25 mpg. I would recommand buying one. Everybody who sees it loves it!

2beetleman

PS: I also have a 2000 GLS 2.0 New Beetle, with a 5-speed manual transmission, that I drive everyday (30 mpg). I, too, was worried about the "girl's car" reputation. After I pass all the gas pumps I used to be on a first name basis with with my Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck I can say I no longer worry about what others think. My gas bill is half what it used to be for the month. I just use an American flag instead of a daisy in the vase. No one says anything!
  • Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with my 2000 1.8T NB and it goes into the shop Monday.
    Thanks....I think. I wonder why the dealer never thought to do a oil pressure test? In fact, I just had it in for it's 60,000 tune up. :confuse:
    No, never did get to the bottom of the issue. I just had it in for it's 60,000 tune up and mentioned the problem again to the dealer. They seem to have no idea :cry: what it must be....hmmm. Good luck to you!
  • vwbuggedvwbugged Posts: 1
    I have three problems if anyone cares to chime in.
    My engine coolant temperature light (blue) sometimes stays on for long periods and then disappears then reapears all during the same driving period. Sometimes it will blink then go solid. No ryme or reason when it will go on or off.
    My engine oil pressure light will beep and flash six times at any given time. I could be idle, taking a left turn or just cruising.
    My last issue is that my wind shield washer fluid will not squirt when I pull the lever. I replaced the fuse. It worked for one day and then nothing.
    All these problems have been happening the last 6 days.
    I bought my 2002 2.0L GLS standard trans new. It has 51,500 mi. Please help.
  • Maybe you guys can help me understand this...

I have an '06 Jetta, and I have driven an '06 New Beetle, and i want to know why is it that the acceleration of the New Beetle is so much faster then my Jetta?

They both have the same 5cyl engine, and the New Beetle weighs less then 200lbs less then my car, yet it makes my car feel sluggish compared to how fast it feels to drive the New Beetle.

If anyone has answers, it would be very much appreciated. thanks. :D
  • I heard some rattling in the front of my 2004 New Beetle a week or so ago - nothing bad, just thought it was wind in the grill which had been cracked. Then yesterday, a white, hard plastic thing worked its way out from under the hood and got caught in my windshield wiper. I pulled it out, and it has a VW logo. It is about half an inch wide, about 8 inches long, and maybe 3/8 of an inch thick in the middle but tapers to very thin on both ends. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I think the service people left a tool inside when they did the last service on my car, but I am worried that it might be a part that has come loose. I'd take it to the dealer, but the service department and I are not on good terms - they keep the car more than I do. Any ideas about this would be appreciated.
    Sounds like we are having the same issues. You would think that VW dealers would have recurring problems logged in their database. Please, let me know if you discover a solution. :confuse:
    By the way, the oil light I was referring to is NOT the for the oil pressure, it is in fact oil level. I checked the owner's manual.
    Volkswagen engines do not have an oil level indicator. (besides the dipstick) Your owners manual may say to CHECK the oil level... but that indicator lamp is for oil pressure.

Technically, it is almost impossible to design an oil LEVEL indicator that is more accurate than the dipstick. The oil-level constantly changes while the engine is running and besides... it is the PRESSURE that is important.

The oil LEVEL can only be accurately checked with engine turned off and allowed to sit for several minutes so it can drain back into the pan. The DIPSTICK is for checking the oil LEVEL.

Do you do all your maintenance based on the owners-manual? I have the factory shop manual and over 30 years experinece with engines. The owners-manuals are not very technical and are intended for quick-refernce. They are also often INCORRECT. Are you aware that the oil-reccomendations for many VWs has changed since your manual was printed?
  • Hey,

I think I can help with one of your problems, but it sounds like you've got a pissy car (no offense). I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T and my coolant light used to come on sometimes. After taking it to the dealership I was told to simply add more collant. The light hasn't come on since. Go out and buy some pre-mixed collant (Like Prestone 50/50 and fill your collant level a bit (MAKE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS COLD WHEN YOU DO THIS!).

Sorry, but no advice for your other probs!

--Daniel
    NO NO NO -- Do not ever use any antifreeze besides G12 in a Volkswagen. Bad things can happen... you have been warned. (Hint: Gelling due to incompatable antifreeze can destroy the engine.)

If you just need to top off the cooling system... it is acceptable to use distilled water. (use no more than a cup or so) If you need to add more than that, you have a leak and should be adding G12 antifreeze. (after fixing the leak)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I wanted to say something about the antifreeze issue but bit my tongue too. It's amazing how we make the second largest expenditure in our life (car after home) and then totally ignore dealers and dealer parts, buying premixed generic antifreeze (or other fluids) from the nearest, cheapest source. This sort of stuff (fluids and parts) although seemingly expensive is the cheapest part of overall car ownership.