Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Green Cars Be Exciting To Drive And Enjoyable To Own?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Up, CR tested a 10 year old Prius and the batteries performed like new.
    ·
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/22/west-coast-cities-dominate-greenest-car-shopp- ers-list/

Actually includes Washington. It's all those NGOs based here, I think. Or maybe EnviroCab and they're all fleet models.
    ·
  • fintailfintail Posts: 35,179
    Weird that Seattle isn't on the list, as I can't throw a cat around here without hitting a Prius/Leaf/Volt/Tesla etc - tons of Prius taxis and government fleet vehicles too.

Then I can fire up the fintail and cancel out about 50 of them :shades:

NGO, isn't that code for sucking down public funds, but doing it under the ruse of a private enterprise? ;)
    ·
    the fintail ... cancel out

You knocked then down to 11th. ;)
    ·
    http://youtu.be/LRBspDS4Wdw

So you save $40 a day on gas, but how much would you make if you could drive those 30 minutes instead of waiting for a charge? I wonder if the cabbie ends up ahead or behind?
    ·
    edited April 2013
    Not a chance I would buy any TSLA stock

Me neither, it's too late anyway:

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/04/23/tesla-stock-reaches-record-high-brushes-53/- -

We've already missed the boat. 300% of the IPO price ain't bad...
    ·
    Gov actually got some of the money back:

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/04/24/fisker-execs-congress-hearing-doe-loan-repa- yment/

This won't end well, though.
    ·
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,584
    I cannot imagine most people wanting to ride in the Leaf vs a Town Car Cab. They would have to offer half fares for tolerating the tight back leg room. Riding once as a novelty and waving them off after that would be me. Of course I hate riding in cabs and paying those outrageous fees. Cram me into a Leaf and charge $45 for a ride home from the airport.
    ·
    I generally prefer the subway, but cabs aren't bad for NYC. If you can find one!
    ·
    Tesla outsold the Volt and Leaf, wow....
    ·
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,895
    Tesla high or Volt/Leaf low? I wonder about how real the Tesla numbers are - aren't they trying to make certain financial hurdles?
    ·
    They also announced the loaner fleet, I wonder if those were included in the numbers?
    ·
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 43,847
    edited April 2013
    Low-Emissions Vehicles Are the Dirtiest You Can Buy

Stick with SULEV II. And don't breathe orange air.

"Size doesn't matter. The diminutive 1.4-liter turbo engine in the Fiat 500 is certified as LEV II, which makes it dirtier than the mighty 6.2-liter Ford Raptor, which is certified to ULEV II."

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

·
    edited April 2013
    Get the Raptor for the environment. :D

Are trucks given a softer standard to meet, though?
    ·
    edited April 2013
    Not anymore, per Wiki, which says:

"The former Tier 1 standards that were effective from 1994 until 2003 were different between automobiles and light trucks (SUVs, pickup trucks, and minivans), but "Tier II" standards are the same for both types."

·
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 396
    But per mile driven the raptor will still pollute more, this is the problem with the parts per million based emission standards, the raptor will produce more parts per million per mile than the fiat, so although it looks cleaner by the per million basis is it really when you consider the per mile emissions?
    ·
    Well, if you look at grams per minute, the answer looks to be no.

Emissions Test: Car vs. Truck vs. Leaf Blower

It sounds like you're saying parts isn't parts?

·
    Yep, Raptor's cleaner than the Fiat 500. ULEV-II vs LEV-II.
    ·
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 396
    Well colour me impressed with the ulev-III standards then, I had always assumed since the parts per million basis was used, that if a car ( or truck ) burned more fuel per mile that it would put out more parts per mile, but I guess there is actually enough of a difference in the different levels of the emmisojns regulations to actually offset this difference, good on them I guess. But of course that doesn't mean that a ulev-III truck would be as clean as a ULEV-III car that used far less fuel, but I am still happily surprised by the results of your test.
    ·
    edited April 2013
    Surprised me too.

·
    I don't think they considered CO2, which of course now is only a worry for the diehard "Warmers".
    ·
    Right, that's next on the plate.

Really, the emphasis should shift to enforcing emission regs on semis and converting more of them to natural gas or whatever else they can come up with. Then they can hammer on the trains and ships and planes.

Cars are in pretty good shape.

·
    Coda's DOA
    ·
    edited May 2013
    Came to post the same news, you beat me to it.

Didn't help that the car looked like a mish-mash of early 90s Civic and Daewoo. It was a decade old at launch. $37 grand for that? You almost had to buy a Focus EV.
    ·
    ·
    Funny....

I'd love to see the list of assumptions the snake oil sales men are making when they come up with these proposals.
    ·
    Electric Rolls-Royce Phantom 102EX Rejected by Consumers, Automaker Says

"The Rolls-Royce Phantom 102EX, an experimental car billed as the world's first battery-electric vehicle for the ultra-luxury segment, has been rejected by consumers, the automaker told Edmunds.

"We expected it to be better received, but no one wanted it," said Rolls-Royce CEO Torsten Muller-Otvos in an interview here on Monday.

The experimental car, which had been on tour as a "test bed" since its unveiling at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show, barely interested luxury buyers. They told Rolls-Royce they didn't like its range or recharging time."

·
    I guess I'm not surprised - why would someone interested in an EV want to buy a car that looks like a gas guzzler but with a surprise inside?

These failures are examples of the basic EV problem: until there's a true battery breakthrough in cost/kw-hr of storage capacity (like a factor of 3 or more reduction), it's just too expensive to have enough range. They may make a great niche vehicle for commuting (but at a high cost, ignoring government (my) $$), but that's not a big market.
    ·
    Ran across this excellent article about battery costs, including this plot:
    ·
    Neat graph.

That top/left corner of the purple rectangle represents Prius sales. :D
    ·