Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Green Cars Be Exciting To Drive And Enjoyable To Own?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,531
    edited September 2013
    Ah, I see that CBS got sucked into the hype.

Tesla is not "the safest car in the world". That was just more Tesla hooey.

Fact is, NHTSA did not crash-test any of Tesla's competition, nor did it give Tesla a 5.4 rating. There IS NO 5.4 rating.

NHTSA had a screaming fit about Tesla's claims, which have been retracted.

I hope Tesla can pull an affordable EV out of the hat. That would be great for them, although I don't see EVs capturing major market share.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,893
    I don't see it either. Just trying to be fair and balanced. I did not know there was a fast one pulled by our buddy Elon. He was so convincing with his story about breaking the machine that tried to crush his car.

I thought my Touareg TDI was the safest car in the World. ;-)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Think about a self driving car next week when you do that LA road trip. If you get stuck in traffic your soundproof luxobox with the nice tunes playing will be sweet, but it'd be even sweeter if you could nap through the congestion.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't like the lane assist programs in some lux cars. I remember one of the science magazines talking about such things back in the 1950s. Along with a watch you could talk to people on. 63 years later they have a cell phone watch. I'm not ready to get on a freeway with every vehicle depending on satellite communications.
    edited September 2013
    Well if your Touareg hits a Fiat 600 and that Tesla hits a Southern Pacific locomotive, your car *IS* going to be the safest in the world.

Cars that drive themselves? Can you hear the lawyers sharpening their knives?

I'll tell you an interesting fact about "futurists". They are almost always proven wrong.

Flying cars! Robots in the kitchen! Air-cushion highways! Atomic automobiles! 1000-seat airliners going coast to coast in one hour!

• texasestexases Posts: 5,532
    Well, Google dropped a quarter billion on 'Uber', the taxi/app company, with the hope it'll lead to this:

"The real potential is for something quite different: ubiquitous taxis – summoned via smartphone or weird glasses – that are so cheap they make car ownership obsolete. That’s the kind of social and technological revolution that could justify the lofty valuation granted to Uber. It explains why the same company that’s invested in the technology to drive the cars is now investing in the technology to hail them. It’s a world in which algorithms for matching cabs with passengers and user interfaces for summoning taxis will become crucial elements of everyday transportation, the way gas stations and parking lots are today."
    I like the Uber plan. It makes a lot more sense if you live in a big city--an alternative to buying a $40,000 car to "save gas".

Combining Uber with pilotless cars also makes sense in a big city. It's really more like a miniature computerized subway train that are run now.

Driving yourself around in a big city is stressful, no matter what you drive.

i think that one day there won't be privately owned cars in large cities.

We country folk, of course, probably won't have the benefit of all this new tech for a much longer time.

I like the Uber plan.

Not being a taxi person I was not aware of the App. Where it makes sense to me is taxi driver protection. You can PU rides that are already vetted. Be nice if the picture of the owner of the smart phone is displayed so when you pick the person up you know they have not stolen the phone.
    yes it shows their photo ID!

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,187
    Are you suggesting that you can identify a mugger or violent person by a cell phone image?
    I am suggesting the person you have in front of you on your screen should be the same person you are picking up. That being the case I would assume that person you are picking up has a cell phone contract and associated address etc. Which gives a greater sense of security in picking the person up. We established recently that cab drivers are high targets of crime. Also with a name and face in front of you it would not be difficult to tie that to a criminal data base. It would particularly useful in CA where they have to dump 40,000 prisoners back on the street by the end of this year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/californias-prison-disaster-heres-what-you-need-t- o-know-2011-5
    That's way too paranoid for me. I have faith in the ID system. Most thugs would not have either the resources or brains for such an elaborate scheme. They just hit you over the head. :)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,561
    Maybe stop prioritizing useless minor drug related crimes, and some of that would change. The corporatized prison industry (it really is one) doesn't help, either.

Crime rates vs incarceration rates are alarming - something is broken.
    Maybe stop prioritizing useless minor drug related crimes, and some of that would change. The corporatized prison industry (it really is one) doesn't help, either.

You don't go to prison for selling a lid of pot. They have already let out over 10,000 sex offenders. Most are already lost from the system that was supposed to keep track of them. It is a mess.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/jerry-brown-california-inmates_n_382540- 1.html
    Green cars? Green cars?

Why not have prisoners building green cars????
    (Reuters) - Ecotality Inc, a maker of charging stations for electric cars that won a $99.8 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy four years ago, has filed for bankruptcy protection and said it plans to auction its assets next month.

Just say the magic word "Green" and split a $100 million dollars.

Ecotality's $99.8 million grant was awarded in August 2009 to help develop the EV Project, a network of charging stations for vehicles such as the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf in major U.S. metropolitan areas.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/17/ecotality-bankruptcy-idUSL2N0HD26E2013- 0917
    "The San Francisco-based company is among a growing number of U.S. alternative-energy companies that have struggled or succumbed amid consumer resistance to the high cost and restricted driving range associated with electric vehicles."

it's YOUR fault. :)

Well, everybody clamors "OH, let the market decide" "Let's have a free market"

Okay, the market decided that EVs are generally a pain in the butt to operate.

Okay, the market decided that EVs are generally a pain in the butt to operate.

Why does CA keep trying to force the EV on us? It will come when decent battery technology is invented. Giving Green cash to crony corporate buddies is a dismal failure.

It is the fault of those that vote for the open wallet green agenda.

edited September 2013
    Why does CA keep trying to force the EV on us?

That's easy:

Move the smog to 4 Corners and let the Navajo enjoy it.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Not sure how recent that photo is. I don't think LA is that bad anymore. San Bernardino does have nasty smog. Mostly from the cargo ships coming into the West coast ports.

I have driven past that Huge coal fired plant on highway 89 going to Lake Powell. It was beautiful blue skies and only steam vapor coming off those stacks. It is a great source of income for the Indians. Hopefully Obama does not devastate them like he is the people of Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana.

Just how many people can afford an EV? If you have less than the average Los Angeles commute of 35 miles each way, something like a Leaf would possibly do for you. I know they are marginal over 70 miles. I don't think AAA is equipped to give you enough charge to get home. Not to mention they are losing capacity as they age. If they are marginal new, after a couple years you could be spending a lot of time waiting for a tow from AAA.
    Speaking of Indians and energy. SDG&E has found it easier to set up Wind farms on Indian reservations here in San Diego County, than to get permits from the Feds and state for them. The tribe gets income and SDG&E get closer to the mandate for alternative energy. Permits now for residential solar are up to $500. I can build a house in many states with less permit fees.
    edited September 2013
    Dunno about that smog photo - found one that was supposedly a "free" license to use via a Bing search.

Four Corners tourism endangered by smog (coloradostatesman.com)

Rooftop solar can be a danger to firefighters, even if it's correctly installed. The permit probably pays for the inspection with some left over for training (like EMTs had to be trained to deal with EVs and their batteries).

"Why does CA keep trying to force the EV on us?"

Same reason they forced the PCV valve on us in 1966. (Which Detroit fought tooth and nail, by the way).

The rest of America (well the civilized parts) will continue to adopt CAL emissions regulations, just as they have for the last 50 years, and probably most states (and much of Europe) will follow California's lead in working against global climate change.

All governments subsidize new technologies, so that they don't get left behind in their development.

Without government intervention, a 2013 car from Detroit would weigh 5000 lbs, get 10 mpg and have tail fins.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,532
    Just because there's a good idea (smog controls) pushed by CA doesn't mean EVERTHING pushed by CA is a good idea. EVs are a VERY expensive way to meet smog abatement needs. New cars contribute next to nothing to smog. And for about half the country regular hybrids are just as good as EVs in terms of CO2 emissions.
    All good points. I think you have to look at EVs as an entire sub-set of technology, not just as a car. For instance, today's EVs might morph into autonomous cars run on a city grid, and so the net effects are not only about pollution, but easing overcrowding in cities, convenience, and safety.

I just read the article about firemen not liking to fight fires in homes with solar panels. If I go solar it will not be on my roof. I would not allow them to penetrate the seal. Just asking for trouble. Too many horror stories with leaking roofs and contractors out of business.

As far as coal on Indian land, there are problems with Wind farms on Indian land also. An Indian friend told several of us that the smell under those Wind turbines is horrible from all the dead birds. It is not just hawks and Eagles it is doves and various other birds that get whacked. Those blade tips look like they are moving slow. They are moving 100 MPH in a 20 MPH wind. The ratio is 5 to 1. Not easy for birds to get out of the way fast enough. All so we can feel good about driving our Tesla.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/28/birdwatchers-flock-to-see-rare-bird-then- -watch-it-killed-by-wind-turbine/
    Oh yeah right, as if Fox News give a fig about birds or indians---LOL! . One cannot really have a meaningful discussion on any subject if Fox news (or most American media for that matter) is cited as a source. One needs to consult serious outlets for information, otherwise one remains in a fog of purposeful distortion.

In reality, wind power in Europe provides about 8% of the electricity for the EU. At the current build rate, the EU will have 17%to 20% of its power from wind by 2020 and has a goal of 50% by the year 2050.

The only thing that this completely irrelevant and fluffy "bird" article will do is help in some small way to make sure America is "left behind", as it is rapidly doing in Green Tech. About 80% of Europeans support wind power initiatives and government spending for same.

The fact is lots of birds are killed by wind farms. Here from another source for those that are closed minded to some sources.

Bird collisions have been one of the primary negatives of the recent growth in wind power across the United States and beyond. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) estimates that almost a half million birds are killed each year in the U.S. by wind turbines.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=wind-turbines-and-bird-conflic- ts
    yeah, so...we all sit in the dark and feed the birds? Lots of animals get run over, too---stop driving?