Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Green Cars Be Exciting To Drive And Enjoyable To Own?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    With 3 times the subsidy from the tax payers. C'mon that is hardly an apples to apples comparo. Last year you could get $7500 from the Feds and $5000 from CA. Making the Leaf a pretty good deal if you had a commute it would fit.
    Tesla currently is accepting reservations for the Model X on its Web site. The base Model X requires a $5,000 deposit, while the uplevel Model X Signature requires a $40,000 deposit. Tesla has not posted official pricing on the Model X. The deposits are fully refundable, according to the Web site.

My uncle put a refundable deposit on a Tucker. When they went belly up he got a Tucker Radio in the bankruptcy. Wonder what that would be worth today? If I knew him he gave it to the Salvation Army.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    edited March 2013
    Seriously? One sold on eBay had one per the Auto Channel, but I don't see a price. There's a '48 Tucker heater on eBay right now, starting bid $199.
    My uncle would pull out his Tucker Radio to show anyone that was interested. Sounds like someone got a heater for their deposit. If any company goes bankrupt the likelihood of getting any money invested or put down on deposit is slim. I have lost my share on GREEN companies. A fairly long list of hopeful winners. So far I am batting ZERO on Green stocks. ECOB, GSPI, ZAAP. From here on out I will leave the Green Crappola to those with more money than brains.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    $7500 is the maximum, newer plug-ins with less battery capacity don't qualify for that much.

MD offers up to $2000, is it really up to $5k in Cali?

Considering they had rolling black outs not too long ago, that's kind of odd. Of course you can program them to charge off peak.
    Just no place to fill up.

"The CNG technology in the European Fiat Panda could transfer to U.S. Fiat brand models."

Fiat May Bring Natural-Gas Cars to the U.S.
    The guy I talked to with a Leaf told me he got $5k from CA. According to the website it is now $2500 and going fast. I think it is a direct rebate and not a tax credit. Which is even more expensive.

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-projec- t
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    There's not much difficult in building a CNG car or truck, but the fuel availability and the tank size are issues.
    edited March 2013
    That's a lotta meat-a-ballsa.

They need to phase these out and maybe replace them with perks, so it costs less but still provides an incentive. HOV lane access (already in use in some places) and cheaper parking, perhaps.
    EVs and CNG cars get full HOV access. Plugin hybrids get limited HOV. The hybrid HOV access was phased out a couple years ago.
    I guess it becomes too much of a good thing and the lanes get crowded.

Around here, VA had it but I also think it was phased out.

There are proposals to close Beach Drive, I think it would make sense to leave it open only to HOV and greenies.
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2013/03/15/obama-to-announce-2-- billion-plan-to-get-u-s-cars-off-gasoline/

call for $2-billion energy security trust fund dedicated to research to boost automobile efficiency, enhance battery technology and expand the use of biofuels, among other clean-energy efforts. The ultimate goal: getting the country off oil
    Trying to make Bartlesville a ghost town?
    I doubt that'll happen, but at least they can offset an increase in energy demands. Maybe.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    No 'maybe' about it, it's already happening, coupled with long term increases in US oil and gas production.

I question the basic assumption that eliminating gasoline is worthwhile. The only way to substitute biofuels is through massive increases in farming, and we've already seen the ecological disaster that is ethanol and biodiesel from the tropics.

Be careful what you wish for...
    edited March 2013
    The only way to substitute biofuels is through massive increases in farming, and we've already seen the ecological disaster that is ethanol and biodiesel from the tropics.

Be careful what you wish for...

It would seem to me the only logical source of biofuel is Algae. It can be grown where nothing else can. The per acre production is 100s of times for Corn ethanol. And Very little of the green agenda cash is being spent on R&D for biodiesel. Too many eco nuts think they can overcome the laws of physics.
    "I can see the day when the 3 and 4 Series will be powered by three-cylinder engines with electric boosting for low revs.

"The combination will be exciting with the low-speed torque of electric power and then that is taken over by the high-end performance with gas engines. It's exciting for us."

BMW Plans More Plug-In Hybrids, Gas Engine Overhaul

Tiny, low revving engines don't sound like a recipe for fun. You have to wonder if BMW is getting too far ahead of themselves. That would make a Prius look like a sports car.
    BMW has to do something. They don't have enough cars that get great mileage to compensate for the gas hogs they like to sell. I wonder with the mileage mandate, do you have to sell any or just offer them to get the credit?
    CAFE is a sales weighted average, so they have to sell.