Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Green Cars Be Exciting To Drive And Enjoyable To Own?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,506
    Hummer was dying before that, so was Pontiac. H2 and H3 were just rebodied conventional SUVs for those with bad taste, size issues, too much money laying around, or combinations of all 3. H2 especially represented everything wrong with America, in vehicle form. Good riddance.

MDX is a glorified minivan, not made for off road use.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I wasn't familiar with that case, and I'm a Terp (BS '90 and MS '93). Wifey as well.

Go MD! My kids might go there, too.
    I'm sure a Hummer is more durable than a people moving crossover, but what I doubt is that they will ever accumulate 300,000 miles, as was assumed (average).

There isn't enough oil on the planet for every Hummer made to go that far. ;)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    That guy filed suit when the 2nd gen Prius came out with HSD in the 2004 model. There was a big debate here at Edmund's. Then it was forgotten. Originally the court awarded $25 per vehicle. Toyota appealed and the anti went up with the more expensive models like RXH and Highlander Hybrid. From that article it looks like Toyota settled for an undisclosed amount. Rumor has it at $98 per vehicle. Let's see 3 million hybrids at $98 each. He should be able to eat well for some time.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,984
    edited April 2013
    Probably went out and bought a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm sure a Hummer is more durable than a people moving crossover, but what I doubt is that they will ever accumulate 300,000 miles, as was assumed (average).

I am sure the average Prius is more likely to reach the 109K miles than the average Hummer reaching 300k miles. Not many vehicles are kept running that many miles.

I am still curious who would go to those lengths for a study that was obviously aimed at denigrating the Prius? Maybe GM as they were struggling at the time and were getting beat up by Toyota.
    Let's see 3 million hybrids at $98 each

Yeah but patent lawyers get $97 of it, so he probably ended up with $3M. ;)

For a very short while I worked in the patent office at NIH, nice folks but pretty cut-throat business.
    Good question, you wonder who funds a lot of these "studies".

Companies like AMCI are hired and supposedly do independent analysis and comparisons with competitors, but you wonder, do they only report results that are favorable? For sure the results are sealed, since the only folks to ever comment on them are the manufacturers that hired them in the first place.

Don't bite the hand that feeds.
    To elaborate a bit more, I imagine it could go like this:

77% prefer Car B to Car A in handling
    66% prefer B over A in acceleration and response
    81% prefer B over A in braking performance
    70% prefer A over B in styling.

Final Verdict: 7 out of 10 people prefer the styling of car A more than the leading competitor (they don't even mention the name, nor all the bad results).
    I think the best bang for the buck in green, fun driving will be the VW Golf GTD. Capable of 50 MPG and handle with all but the best sports cars.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1211_2014_volkswagen_gtd/
    That would go a long way towards getting more Americans to warm up to diesels.

In fact, I bet it would draw people in to showrooms who may even buy more basic models, just as a halo car does in any showroom.
    edited April 2013
    Can't use that tagline any more.

"Nissan is partnering with McDonald's, which will be installing quick chargers at its restaurants in Norway. Customers will be able to fast-charge their cars while they fill up on fast food.

In a country of 5 million people, Norwegian buyers purchased more than 10,000 plug-in electrics last year. That's more than 5 percent of total vehicle sales, compared to .06 percent of both electrics and hybrids in the United States."

Norway Loves the Nissan Leaf

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

You can still go to McDonalds and get plenty of gas.

Oh no I didn't. :D
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    That '.06 percent of both electrics and hybrids in the United States' is WAY off. Per WSJ:

"2012 was a decent year for sales of alternative energy vehicles in the United States. Not a great year, but not bad. Sales of hybrids rose 61% over 2011 sales, and as a percentage of total sales, hybrid sales rose 13%. Overall, hybrid cars comprised 3% of total auto sales in 2012, according to hybridcars.com. That is up from 2.1% of all sales in 2011."
    edited April 2013
    Bet he meant to say "electric vehicles".

"Electric vehicles account for less than 1 percent of new-vehicle sales in the United States, according to LMC Automotive, J.D. Power’s automotive forecasting partner." (NY Times)

Good catch.

Norway is smaller than CA and has about the highest priced gas in the EU. They tax the crap out of the people so the King can live in opulence. :shades:

Sounds more like the USA every day. I wonder if they subsidize the electricity, making EVs more practical? Has to be a good reason.

In addition, the country has about 3,500 public EV charging points, many of them free.

Sounds like EVs are a no brainer if you live close to a free charging station.
    I wonder what hybrids are selling? The Prius is off 22% from last year.
    Good question. Maybe Prii will be well under invoice if and when we decide to buy. :shades:

Interesting that California has 9 times the population of Norway. Looks like the GDP per capita is pretty close too.

In my garage at work they offer electricity at 1/3rd the going local rate, so it's basically 67% subsidized. They do it to meet LEED platinum certifications.

On top of that, when you sign up the first 10 hours of charging are free.

On top of that, you get two of the best spots in the garage, right up near the elevators.

I don't think most people can rely on those, however. Just a nice perk for some.
    They still sold 22,140 of them. In a month.

Audi diesels were down 49.35%. Ouch.

I'm guessing it was the drop in gas prices, even though it was slight, people were no longer afraid. Also, DI and CVTs are making regular gas cars so efficient, many are probably asking why get a diesel or a hybrid at all?