Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Green Cars Be Exciting To Drive And Enjoyable To Own?

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,641
    whoa! Better not discharge that capacitor with your screwdriver! :P
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    "The 2014 Mazda 6 with i-Eloop technology returns 28 mpg in city driving and 40 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA. The non i-Eloop-equipped Mazda 6 returns 26 mpg in city driving and 38 mpg on the highway when equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission. "

Sure is a lot of money for a 2 mpg boost...
    Well you could buy one of those bolt-on hydrogen generators on eBay and get 50% better gas mileage, decrease your emissions and clean your engine---all for $69! :P

What Mazda doesn't know, Harry P. Smith in his garage in Cleveland has figured out!
    $69?? Heck, give me a Mason jar, two wires, and a rubber hose, I'm there! $5 max!

I'm surprised (and thankful) that HHO has stopped cropping up on the boards I frequent - or is it hiding out somewhere else on Edmunds? Hope not!
    unfortunately, HHO generators still persist in the marketplace. It's pretty much a "faith-based" cult at this point and no amount of science, or reasoning, is going to change the believer's mind.

What the HHO scam artists have done is package the kits with electronic devices that re-map the 02 sensor or the engine's ECM---a very bad idea, as you can imagine---to give the illusion of a MPG increase (at the cost of a very lean-running engine).

Other 'demonstrations' of the HHO generator either apply to tiny little lawnmower engines, or are tricks, wherein extra hidden hydrogen is injected into the engine during the demonstration.

I suppose if you had a 480V electrolysis system in the trunk, it might work a little.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    The 2014 Mazda 6 with 2.5L automatic, is EPA rated at 28/40 without iFop brakes. Sounds like an expensive gimmick like the auto stop on my 2005 GMC Hybrid PU truck. Lots of added expense with NO real gain. Get some brownie points from the Eco-Nuts and let the Consumer pick up the tab.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,938
    edited July 2013
    Well, 21/30 was the EPA mpg for the 2013 Mazda 6. Looks like a big boost to Mazda's CAFE numbers going to 28/40.
    Must be their new SIDI engine. I don't think it is any electronic wizardry.
    "The i3 is being looked upon by the German carmaker as a whole new chapter in the age of the automobile — one in which new solutions in lightweight construction, a clever new production process, high levels of overall efficiency and traditional driving fun come together into one. Our drive of a preproduction prototype this week revealed it is perhaps the most engaging electric car of our times."

2014 BMW i3 First Drive

I wondered what happened to the designer of the Pontiac Aztek when GM dumped them? Butt ugly with a paisley sort of paint job. :sick:
    edited July 2013
    It's still wearing pre-production camo, but I thought it looked pretty good. Looks more practical than the competition, although the Leaf hatch would work okay. I'm a bit dubious about those 19" tires though.

Here's what seems to be a neat idea, that CNG tank doesn't look much bigger than a scuba tank! No extra drive train or expensive batteries needed, either.
    Combo CNG/gasoline car
    Interesting, but I still see CNG as more of a solution for short haul delivery trucks where a bigger compressor can refill a small fleet overnight.
    Not as bad from the side. Not big on suicide doors. Wonder what it will cost? Any guesses? What will the average miles per charge be with 4 people on board. Supposedly the New Volt will only be $30k so BMW will have to probably take a loss to move many of them. Carbon fiber cannot be that cheap? Have to give BMW credit getting it down to 2634 lb. That is 1100 lbs less than the Chevy Volt. It sits nicely for me. Just needs about 600 more miles range. :shades:
    I think that is a great idea if the Eaton solution to home fueling becomes reality. For those that want access to the HOV lanes with one driver the CA rules will not allow a combo set up. If those small tanks have the latest 25 year certification, that could be a great solution. The current Honda Civic GX is really the only game in town. If you can get the CarLab system installed with the home fueling for $3500 I think it is a winner.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 386
    edited July 2013
    When did the BMW grills morph into Pontiac grills? ( or is it just the camo?) I can only imagine how expensive 155/70-19 tires are going to be, and how hard it is going to be to get them ( though at least they have a higher aspect ratio- don't know why they need to be 19 inchers though).
    They are probably low rolling resistance and run flat tires. BMW seems to be into those tires. You can bet they will not be cheap to replace. I cannot find them even listed anywhere. So count on big bucks from the BMW dealer.
    edited July 2013
    "The 2014 Focus Electric offers customers a fully contented, all-electric vehicle option," wrote Said Deep, a Ford spokesman, in response to an Edmunds query on Thursday. "The new starting MSRP keeps us competitive in the marketplace and is an important part of our commitment to provide customers with a range of electrified vehicles to choose from."

The move by Ford follows a similar strategy by Nissan with its Leaf electric vehicle. The 2013 Nissan Leaf S starts at $29,650, including an $850 destination charge, reflecting a $6,400 price cut over the base 2012 Nissan Leaf. Nissan's price cut was announced at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show."

2014 Ford Focus Electric Gets $4,000 Price Cut
    So when does the $7500 tax credit end? I know the manufacture limit is 200,000 vehicles, which is highly unlikely to be reached in the near future. Is it an open ended give away or did Congress allocate a certain amount?
    Lets see: $7,500/car X 200,000 cars X 5 makers (lets assume) = $7.5 BILLION.

I bet we could achieve much more with that amount of money than we'll get from this...