Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Green Cars Be Exciting To Drive And Enjoyable To Own?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    What I was referring to is the claim that Prius and/or hybrid owners are self righteous, arrogant, etc., etc.

I think they switched from Volvos ;-)

Now Prius drivers cover most demographic buyers. I see them racing down the freeway at 80 MPH like most everyone else. It is less frequent to see them in the Left lane staying right on 55 MPH, like when the Prius first became popular. I think those types found out they were not making converts to their thinking.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    Of course, things like this don't help

Come to Seattle, you'll find LLC Prius.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Oh, yeah. About 1% of all drivers are just NUTS!
  • All stereotypes have a grain of truth in them.

I think cars like a Prius do, in fact, "sedate" most people, merely by the nature of the beast---flinging a Prius around curves is not much fun and acceleration is leisurely at best.

Self-righteousness appears in many forms, from the "I'm saving the planet" cognitive dissonance of the Prius owner who drives a 1.5 ton machine running on gasoline to pick up a bag of taco chips at Costco, to the Porsche owner who believes that somehow the car's precision and abilities are transferred to him personally.

Hopefully, most hybrid owners have less noble aspirations and will confess to buying such a car to "save a buck" (eventually).
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Seen at the Seed Savers Exchange in Iowa.

• How's the Smug level in the midwest?
    Prii keep blowing by me on the Interstate as I tool around. :-)

But there does seem to be a lot of pride in the Volt.
  • i like Volti--I'm anxious to drive one.
    edited August 2013
    Guess the owner gets lots of questions - this was on the side window:

Fitting thing to spot considering we're house-sitting at our NM friend's off-grid house this week. Yep, this is a solar post (although TaosNet, a great ISP here, is still on the grid).
    Did Tesla Just Make Its First Big Mistake?

Tesla has succeeded at just about everything it has tried so far, and there’s no reason to think it can’t pull this off too, if that’s the company's top priority. There’s just one problem with Tesla’s ambitious goal of building a self-driving electric car in three years. Tesla already had an ambitious goal, and that was to build an affordable electric car in three years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57599474/elon-musk-tesla-to-make-affordab- le-electric-car-in-three-to-four-years/

Tesla backers may insist that Musk can do it all: make Teslas self-driving, make them affordable, put a man on Mars, and build the Hyperloop in his spare time. Perhaps he can: There is no one more dynamic executive in the auto industry today, and perhaps not in the technology industry either. Clearly the engineering team he has built at Tesla is formidable.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/09/18/tesla_self_driving_car_is_thi- s_elon_musk_s_first_big_mistake.html
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    edited September 2013
    Ah, I see that CBS got sucked into the hype.

Tesla is not "the safest car in the world". That was just more Tesla hooey.

Fact is, NHTSA did not crash-test any of Tesla's competition, nor did it give Tesla a 5.4 rating. There IS NO 5.4 rating.

NHTSA had a screaming fit about Tesla's claims, which have been retracted.

I hope Tesla can pull an affordable EV out of the hat. That would be great for them, although I don't see EVs capturing major market share.
    I don't see it either. Just trying to be fair and balanced. I did not know there was a fast one pulled by our buddy Elon. He was so convincing with his story about breaking the machine that tried to crush his car.

I thought my Touareg TDI was the safest car in the World. ;-)
    Think about a self driving car next week when you do that LA road trip. If you get stuck in traffic your soundproof luxobox with the nice tunes playing will be sweet, but it'd be even sweeter if you could nap through the congestion.
    I'll believe it when I see it. I don't like the lane assist programs in some lux cars. I remember one of the science magazines talking about such things back in the 1950s. Along with a watch you could talk to people on. 63 years later they have a cell phone watch. I'm not ready to get on a freeway with every vehicle depending on satellite communications.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    edited September 2013
    Well if your Touareg hits a Fiat 600 and that Tesla hits a Southern Pacific locomotive, your car *IS* going to be the safest in the world.

Cars that drive themselves? Can you hear the lawyers sharpening their knives?

I'll tell you an interesting fact about "futurists". They are almost always proven wrong.

Flying cars! Robots in the kitchen! Air-cushion highways! Atomic automobiles! 1000-seat airliners going coast to coast in one hour!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Well, Google dropped a quarter billion on 'Uber', the taxi/app company, with the hope it'll lead to this:

"The real potential is for something quite different: ubiquitous taxis – summoned via smartphone or weird glasses – that are so cheap they make car ownership obsolete. That’s the kind of social and technological revolution that could justify the lofty valuation granted to Uber. It explains why the same company that’s invested in the technology to drive the cars is now investing in the technology to hail them. It’s a world in which algorithms for matching cabs with passengers and user interfaces for summoning taxis will become crucial elements of everyday transportation, the way gas stations and parking lots are today."
  • I like the Uber plan. It makes a lot more sense if you live in a big city--an alternative to buying a $40,000 car to "save gas".

Combining Uber with pilotless cars also makes sense in a big city. It's really more like a miniature computerized subway train that are run now.

Driving yourself around in a big city is stressful, no matter what you drive.

i think that one day there won't be privately owned cars in large cities.

We country folk, of course, probably won't have the benefit of all this new tech for a much longer time.
    I like the Uber plan.

Not being a taxi person I was not aware of the App. Where it makes sense to me is taxi driver protection. You can PU rides that are already vetted. Be nice if the picture of the owner of the smart phone is displayed so when you pick the person up you know they have not stolen the phone.
  • yes it shows their photo ID!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Are you suggesting that you can identify a mugger or violent person by a cell phone image?