Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tmcarstmcars Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you ever got a helpful answer to your rear brake pin question. I have tried unsuccessfully to do the same and still don't have them changed. Thanks.
  • Did you figure out what the problem was? I'm having the exact same issue and none of the shops can figure it out.
  • Catalytic Converter is what you're looking at fixing. You either can choose the inexpensive route and cut it off and welding pipe to connect the gap or get it replaced. Caution though, cutting it off will fail emmissions (if you have test in your town) and will be louder. But its up to you. I had the same problem. Oh and if you choose the cut it off option then your engine light will be on indefinately until catalytic converter is put back on.
  • does anyone know why i wouldn't have any rear brakes. traced line cannot find any leaks in line my front brakes work fine need help!
  • Greetings everyone, last week my 2001 montero started to act up. I'm trying to diagnose this problem my self and get some advice from the some knowledgable montero owners, and rather than me describing the problem in detail, briefly I will let you know that the noise occurs when I first step on the brake pedal, once brake is held firm for example a red light the noise goes away, on the other hand, driving is as smooth as can be, but as soon as i put my foot on the brake the grinding and scraping noise comes back and here's a link to a video I made of what the problem sounds like, please if you know what this is your advice on going about fixing it without shelling out tons of money would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

http://youtu.be/Vg9AFW_H5mo
  • sorry posted in the wrong section, did not mean to interrupt your post.
  • Greetings everyone, last week my 2001 montero started to act up. I'm trying to diagnose this problem my self and get some advice from the some knowledgable montero owners, and rather than me describing the problem in detail, briefly I will let you know that the noise occurs when I first step on the brake pedal, once brake is held firm for example a red light the noise goes away, on the other hand, driving is as smooth as can be, but as soon as i put my foot on the brake the grinding and scraping noise comes back and here's a link to a video I made of what the problem sounds like, please if you know what this is your advice on going about fixing it without shelling out tons of money would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

http://youtu.be/Vg9AFW_H5mo
  • Can you tell me the steps of how you removed and replaced the airbag...I have one on the way and need to know how to change it out without blowing up an airbag in my face..lol
  • I believe that first post might have been rather confusing here is a better video explanation:

Noise from engine when pressing on brake pedal:

http://youtu.be/oTIzFqgxJs4

An interior view on what happens when I press on brake pedal:

http://youtu.be/kpGB_Y083a0

This is what happens when I simultaneously press on the brake pedal:

http://youtu.be/FSvuG4v3_qc

This is the cylinder that rattles when I brake, I'm assuming this is where the noise is coming from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ma_eyS9Kg
  • This is in your owners manuel. It says that when the N starts flashing that there is a transmission problem and it would be wise to take it to the nearest dealer..
  • I have the identical problem. I'm embarassed every time I take it to the transmission shop because they cannot get it to misbehave. Recently the 4x4 has been acting up and only likes to engage in warm weather - not helpful in the snow. Have you been able to resolve the problem?
  • I am having a problem I think. It feels like when my transmission goes into gear it feels like it is slipping. Is this a problem. I don't remember it doing this in the past. I have about 75,000 miles on it. Someone suggested that I pour two cans of carbueter fluid in it. Is this safe. Could it be a sensor?
  • I have had this problem before and i may have a simple fix. Every time the 4x4 has acted up i took it to a car wash that had an undercarriage wash and it seemed to loosen up some gunk or dirt that may have been aroung the 4 wheel drive. Good Luck! If it isn's stored in a garage it may be cold so you could try to warm it up before shifting into 4 wheel drive.
  • its the transmission "fail safe relay" they mounted it upside down under right kick panel and contacts collect moisture and corrode $28
  • I had the same problem with 2001 Montero Sport ES 3.0L auto . Finally the engine light came on ,Neutral indicator on dash flashed code said tranny relay . I replaced the Transmission "fail safe relay" which is mounted upside down to collect moisture under the right kick panel . the car has never driven so good since i owned it. The relay contacts collect moisture and corrode because the A-holes mounted it upside down !!! $28 part will save your tranny!!!!
  • tammie12tammie12 Posts: 3
    Did you ever get any answers on your "slipping" issue or find a resolution? I have the same make/model and am experiencing that same issue, when my transmission goes into gear it feels like it is slipping, it kinda jerks a little.
  • gmguy18gmguy18 Posts: 7
    Hi, I'm a GM/Ford tech, Looking for some help. Read a few of the discussions and got some answers. However, this thing has some other issues. 1st: Oil Leak (lots of oil)- coming from what I beleive is the cam covers in the back of the heads. Normal??; 2nd: Battery light/Red brake light came on- Battery at 12.08 volts but not dropping off while running, load system down with lights, wipers, A/C, etc. only went down to 11.98 volts and held. Seems like alternator is trying. But not real sure.; 3rd: Engine Light on- P0421 Catalyst warm up- the cat is covered by oil (thinking oil may be leaking into it and burned it up), P0403 EGR Solonoid Circuit- Checke voltage and have 12 volts supplied, vacuum check moved EGR valve. Don't have a scan tool to activate the solonoid, do these commonly fail?? Looking for some help, Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps, gmguy18. God Bless

• misterv1misterv1 Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1999 Montero Sport (2wd automatic 3500 v6)and it is doing the same thing kelvagirl's was. It sounds like a rumble strip at around 42 mph or pulling a small grade. Seems like it doesn't know which gear to pick. I can drive through the rumble and everything seems ok. I can also eliminate it by dropping into 3rd.
    I am curious if kevlagirl tried viking62's solution? I was thinking that it may be a clogged AT filter and weak fluid. But after reading so many posts it could also be the speed sensor or as viking62 states the fail safe relay(?). I am going to try the relay, filter and fluid flush. Hopefully I will be able to report back with results. It may not be immediately....