Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder blows cold air while idling

We have found on the internet that many 2005 owners have a problem with the heater blowing cold air while idling. Once we get going again it blows hot air. But we are unable to find a solution. Can anyone help?

Comments

• joe05joe05 Posts: 11
    I had the same problem in my 06 Pathfinder, only it was occurring when the temps didn't get above -10 fahrenheit. I took the vehicle to a Nissan dealer and they diagnosed as the heater hose was seeping, and all it needed was a repositioning of the clamp, and then air bled from the system.
  • kalekale Posts: 15
    Interesting! I have a 2005 LE and have the EXACT same issue! I just called up the dealer (he has the Pathy for some other issues :( ; and had him look into it :mad:
  • So . . . . what did the dealer say was the problem?

I have the same issue with my 2005 Pathfinder LE, even after replacing the radiator last year due to leakage. It also seems to take around 15 minutes for the heat to kick in whie driving, even though the blower seems to kick in with 5 minuts just blowing cold air.
  • My problem was the heater core went bad. All good now. :)
  • bert2xbert2x Posts: 2
    On my 2001 LE, the heated air blows out the upper vents and windshield defroster but only cold air comes out of the floor vents. I can see the control arm moving to change the air paths. Everything else seems to work fine. Any ideas?
  • mcribbmcribb Posts: 20
    I had this same problem. Take the radiator cap off when the path. is cold and see if it is low with water. If the radiator is 2 or more inchs low with coolent , the car will not heat when idle. Fill it up and everything SHOULD be fine. There may be other problems if this does not work. This fixed my 2006 path.
  • bert2xbert2x Posts: 2
    I did what you instructed, but the fluid in the radiator looked full. I put fluid in the reservoir anyway and went out for a little drive and amazingly I now have heat top to bottom.

Thank you much!!
  • mlaniermlanier Posts: 17
    Not sure if you have solved this problem yet, but I had my 05 Pathfinder for a recall and asked the mech and service manager, What causes this problem? Their reply was the system is a vac system not like older systems, which means the system is air bound, it needs to be bled to get the air out. There are a couple of ways to do this, 1 Is to find the bleeder valve in the coolant system which is near the firewall, and bleed it there while engine is running at temp.
    2 Is to take the radiator cap off while vehicle front end is jacked up off ground or parked on a slope so while it is heating up the air will be forced out of system.
    Hope this helps you out.
  • smimonsmimon PennsylvaniaPosts: 1

We are having the same problem with our 2012 Pathfinder. I thought my husband was exaggerating the lack of heat, it has been in the single digits her for about a week. I used the Pathfinder last night to pick up my daughter at a friends, of course she wasn't ready when I got there so I sat and waited. I am accustomed to the heated seats in my VW so I was really cold. I tried switching to inside air, thinking maybe the heating system simply could not compensate for the very cold outside air. Nothing worked. When she finally came out and we started moving, we had heat. My husband has it at the dealership right now for a scheduled oil change so he will ask them to assess the problem. I am hoping it is something simple like a loose hose or that the system just needs to be bled. We had a problem with air pockets in the heating system of our Porsche. My husband made a tool to bleed even the smallest bubbles from the system. When you use the bleed screw you lose a bit of coolant every time you do it, the way he does it you don't lose coolant.