Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen EuroVan

I am in the market for a 98 Volskswagon Eurovan. I
would like to know any information
from previous owners of earlier years on
reliability
or problems.

Comments

• I think the Eurovan of old is no longer available in the US (since '93 I believe).
    But, my VW dealer tells me that Volkwagen will release the present European Van in the US this spring (called the SHARAN over there).

I drive a GTI now but am in the market for a minivan sometime in Spring '98. My 1st choice is a Grand Voyager. Both my GTI and Jetta have been great for reliability - so I am holding out for reports and reviews on the SHARAN when it hits the US.
  • I'm considering a used VW Vanagon, and would like any information experienced owners can give. I would appreciate comments concerning reliability, potential problems, things to look out for, and general impressions of the vehicle. Thank you!
  • I live in Denver. I've looked at the '97 Eurovan and liked it very much. Winnebago has done afine job with the interior. So how come we can't find any data about the VW camper on the Edmunds page?
  • SGALCZYN-
    You are correct, the Eurovan is ude back late this Spring or early this Summer. It will be just like the model previously sold here except for that it will have the VR6 engine and dual air-bags. In Europe it's called the Caravelle, not the Sharan. The Sharan is a much smaller van shared with Ford and built in Portugal. It is rumored we might get a version of the next generation Sharan due in 2002, to supplement the Eurovan.

taflaherty-
    The VW Camper is technically considered a conversion van since Winnnebego modifys it. That is why Edmunds dones' have the pricing.

Jon
    "The Roaming Host"
  • I had a 93 Eurovan for my business and have fond memories of it. Owned it from 93 to 96 and put just shy of 200k on it. Might have bought another if it would have been available in 96 (non camper). The 93 was great on long highway trips but a little underpowered. Will VW bring the CL or GL Eurovan back? I need to replace the current business vehicle this December and would consider a non camper Eurovan again (especially with VR6 engine).
  • MiyoshiMiyoshi Posts: 1
    I recommend a LOT of patience for anyone waiting on VW to put out a new Eurovan. I REALLY wanted to buy one and called VW and was told that it would "be in the showrooms this coming (Summer, Fall, Winter)" You get the picture. They told me that it was imminent, but I have yet to see a new one on the market since I first called and was promised it would be out in six months. (That was in '95)

IF you need a van, check out others while you are waiting. We finally bought our second choice. But if VW does come out with it, we will get one when this one gets too old to drive.
  • I am not really a "car person". What I mean is I drive whatever car is available, and do not become emotionally involved with cars. Until now. My 84 Vanagon has changed me. It has been such a dependable and versatile vehicle that I cannot imagine ever getting rid of it. When my honda or GMC fail to start in Colorado's winter, the Vanagon always does. It is this dependability that prompts me to buy a Eurovan, and I too have been waiting for about a year. I am on every dealers list on the front range, and each assures me that the new vans will be here "very soon". Meanwhile my GMC has died, and I have no vehicle to tow my little pop-up camper. Does anyone have a definitive answer about the 6- banger Eurovan's debut? My wife wants the Toyota Sienna, and I can't hold her off much longer!
  • bktoolsbktools Posts: 1
    I bought a '97 Eurovan Camper in December, 1997 and have put 8,000 miles on it and have camped in it about 15 times. The VR6 engine is gutsy but could use a little more horsepower for pulling the hills, although I guess this engine is a definite improvement over the previous 5 Cylinder.

The suspension is somewhat under-engineered for the weight on the left side (fridge, stove, fuel tank, water tank, etc.) and I had to install some load boosters/stabilizers (Timbrens) to provide for stability and control, especially on the corners.

The '97 Eurovan seems to be available out here in Western Washington. In fact the local VW dealer has two of them available now.
  • volksvanvolksvan Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a new Volkswagen Transporter Cargo Van with diesel engine and so far haven't seen any feedback on it. Can anyone help?
  • SherylSheryl Posts: 1
    Help. am ready to buy a eurovan but what is a good price? Since there are no dealer invoice costs available, it's difficult to figure this out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I live in Western Washington
  • jamie01jamie01 Posts: 9
    Sheryl, I may be able to help. You can get an good estimate of the invoice by using the percentage rule. If you look at the retail price and the invoice price for other VW products, for example, you'll notice that the invoice price is 90% of the retail price. For more price leading cars like the Golf, it is more like 91.5%, but for the Passat it is approx. 90%. You can safely bet that the Eurovan is priced in a similiar way. Just take the retail, multiply it by .9, and you will have a close estimate of the invoice. Subtract any incentives (rebates)-- I doubt there are any on the Eurovan--and you have a figure to build on for your offer. How much you should pay over this figure is largely determined by the demand for that particular model, how long the dealer has had it, how badly they need to sell a car, etc. Good luck-I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out and how you like your new Eurovan.
  • MGAJEWSKIMGAJEWSKI Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used '97 camper. Does anyone have any useful details on this van? trouble areas to look for, likes/dislikes etc. I seems rather difficult to find any information on this limited production vehicle. I have had bus and vanagon Westfalia's and loved them. Hoping that a eurovan still has some of the character of these classic, wonder lust Westies!
  • jonkjonk Posts: 1
    O.K. so I'm a little behind the times here in NYC where my wife and I haven't owned a car for 8 years, but we're moving to the Midwest where we'll again rely on a car/van and we have always wanted a VW camper/van. Where do I begin to look? I didn't even think they made them anymore. I owned an '85 GTI and loved it, now I want to continue my love affair with a family van!
  • cinscottcinscott Posts: 1
    I just recently found out that Eurovan will have both the GLS, the MV, and the MV Weekender in showrooms in the U.S. in July. I am really interested in the Weekender, and am wondering if I am getting the run around about when these vehicles are due in. My lease will be up in the fall and I can't afford to wait too long.
    Also, anyone hear anything about the cost of the Weekender? My dealer said he has the figures but I never seem to get them.
  • StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    I gave up my old '87 Vanagon GL camper a while ago. I thought about purchasing a new EuroVan, but in the high $30(000)s with a less-than-150 hp engine and a heavy vehicle with not so many premium automobile features, I didn't find it worthwhile. I used my old van mostly for city use anyway, so I decided to buy a minivan and a trailer to go with it so I don't always have to lug around the extra weight (fridge, stove, etc). Also, it doesn't seem right to me to try and fit all the features you would find in a full-size RV into a van.
    That is the beauty of the weekender. It has the basics (bed, table, curtains, screens, fridge, pop-top, etc), without the heavy stove, heater, and sink. In 1995 it cost somewhere around $25K.
  • StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    The basic design is okay, but I'm not sure it's worth the price it's asking. In '87 I paid about $20,000 for my Vanagon. I liked the camper features but most of the time I was using it around town.
  • cozycozy Posts: 3
    The Eurovan VR6 is here. (in the bay area). But none of the dealers I've called have any literature on them or options. I want a seven passenger, with two captains chairs and a bed in back. Much like the 93 MV. All they have is the 7
    passenger with two bench seats. I've heard they will be getting an MV 6-cylander, does anyone know?
    I wonder if only certain dealers are buying the Eurovan for their inventory, because the VW dealerships here (D.C.) don't seem to know anything about the Eurovan being available (in non-camper form). Please let us all know how it drives and what it costs if you get a chance!
    The dealers said they didn't even order them that they just show up. I guess that's why theres no literature or info. yet. I did test drive the 99'.
    It's definately fast or faster, Takes off pretty good. I liked it a lot and plan to buy one, but I'm holding out for more styles and colors, and to
    maybe see some on the road first. One dealer had a price of 33K and another one a friend works at and they were 27K.
  • mdennismdennis Posts: 1
    My wife and I are considering purchasing the Volkswagen turbo diesel camper van for traveling in Europe. We drove the turbo diesel for a month in Europe back in 1990 and were impressed with it. Any comments about the reliability and up keep costs of the Volkswagen vans would be appreciated.
    Just checked out VW's website, and they have the Eurovan listed as an available model. They do say it has limited availability, and may need to be specially ordered. They also list the prices! It looks like they are only offering it fully loaded, inluding automatic, and only w/the VR6. The GLS lists for $29,900, and the MV lists for $31,400. The Weekender package (pop top w/bed, fridge, screens, etc.) is available on the MV.

The VR6 develops only 140 HP in the Eurovan, which seems a little low, considering it produces so much more in the VW cars. I guess they tune it more for torque, but still--140? At least it gets decent economy--they list it at 22 city, 28 highway.

They also have a good selection of pictures, in the "Gallery" section of the site. Check it out at www.vw.com
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Posts: 128
    I'm currently looking at a 94' Eurovan GL with 80k miles and a price of $9000 from a local used car dealer. Am I safe to assume that parts for it are very very $$$. Anyone had any experience with the 93-96 van?

I love the size and uniqueness of it. Am I nuts to buy one or will it be a great adventure?
  • dbaxdbax Posts: 1
    Not likely the Sharan (the Passat-based minivan) will be available in the US, at least as a VW. I have heard that it may be the replacement for the Mazda MPV in 2000. Ford and VW developed this model together for the European market. Since Ford owns 25% of Mazda the MPV replacement seems a natural. I have a 1985 Vanagon with 180,000 miles and I love it--not terribly reliable when I bought it used but with much mechanical renovation and careful maintenance it has become VERY reliable. The weak point is head gasket leaks of coolant that are best addressed by replacing the engine--more minor fixes seem to be very temporary. Would love to see more base versions of the new Transporter/Caravelle/Eurovan in the United States. Commercial and Diesel versions have always been available in Canada. At the prices for the non-camper versions of the Eurovan in the U.S. it would seem that VW won't be selling very many of these.

Donald Baxter
    Sorry to say to VW that the 99' Eurovan was just to expensive for my budget, and we ended up buying a Subaru 2.5GT Wagon and I love it. But I still have my 89 GTI 16V and I love that too! So I guess I will be checking out the station wagon conference from now on. Good luck to anyone who buys a new Eurovan, I'll be jealous.
    Just saw a brand new '99 Eurovan on the lot here in No. Virginia (Woodbridge). It was very nice looking, especially the more rounded front end. It was also VERY expensive (around $31,000), for the basic model (not a weekender or a camper). It was fully loaded up with basically every feature as standard, however. But once a van gets over that $30K mark, it becomes a stretch. The dealer said they ordered this particular van 3 years ago, and it just arrived! Guess they won't be making any deals on it. EPA estimates on the sticker were 15 city 20 highway, lower than what I recall seeing on VW's website. Can't wait to see one with the Weekender package--has anyone seen one?
  • Does anyone know of any crash tests or reliability figures on the new eurovans--have looked on the vw websites here and in Europe with no luck. Thanks!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    Here is Edmund's info and review for 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS Passenger Van and 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan MV
    Passenger Van

Sorry, no picture. :-(

KarenS/roving host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Is VW smoking something with a base price of $30k. I think the Euro is very cool looking and different from the pack, but $30k base and $33k as tested. Who are they kidding? Plus, I hope they fixed the rusting problem seen on the 93's.

I've decided to buy an Odyssey 99'. 210hp, Honda reliability and ergonomics, sedan-like ride?

VW could have at least priced the Euro at $25k. What gives?
  • DRiceDRice Posts: 3
    For anyone interested in another road test of
    the EuroVan you can go to

http://www.thecarplace.com/homecar.htm

Be aware, that the reviewer was not too fond of the van.