Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• nypaulnypaul Posts: 35
    My wife amd I have been driving VW buses for over 20 years and just love the 1971 camper we have now. It's my wifes daily driver and our vacation home all rolled up into one. There is a sink with a 7 gallon potable water tank, an ice box, and cupboards and cabinets galore. Plus, it sleeps 3 adults and a small child. There are provisions for plugging into regular electic outlets if your campground has it or many folks fit the bus with a second "camping" battery. For sure it is the slowest thing on the hiway, but whether we're on vacation or just a weekend getaway we like to go slow. It does have enough get up and go for the around town driving that my wife uses it for.
    The down side is that being an old car it doesn't have all the creature comforts we are all so used to. You know, airconditioning, cruise control, hot and cold running water, a built in stove and on, and on, and on. Also, depending on the condition of these old cars, they can be a real maintenance nightmare. I've seen some that I wouldn't even drive around the block and others that are in better than showroom condition. And,it can be difficult to find a mechanic to work on these old aircooled VWs.
    Really it comes down to what you feel that you want or need to enjoy yourself. Take your time and investigate all your options.

Paul
  • zavfejzavfej Posts: 13
    We are on our second VW bus (a 67 camper and now an 01 Weekender) and there is a world of difference in every area, BUT one thing is worse - back then they were easy to find parts for, get repaired or even attempt to repair myself. With the low volume of sales, there is a real issue with finding even simple parts - at 20K miles my front pads need replacing (an issue itself) and there are none in the country! VWofA came through and is renting me a vehicle until the parts get here, but how awful is that - no brake pads in the USA!
    I opted for the Van fora variety of reasons but tried to plan for this kind of thing by purchasing a 100K mile/10 year 3rd party warranty. It was expensive (around $1200) but it gave me peace of mind (Warranty Gold was the company I chose).
    Great vehicle, totally unique, excellent for short camping trips, huge interior volume and great seating configuration (with two rear facing seats).
    Hope that helps some.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    Hard to believe there were none in the country. Did you try www.busdepot.com?

With production of Eurovans in Mexico now underway, EV parts should be available economically through aftermarket sources. Some will be VW of Mexico parts and some will be from mexican aftermarket sources. Who knows what quality will be. VW afficionados sometimes decry mexican and brazillian parts, but I'm not sure how much of this is can be blamed on germanophilia or outright racism.

I would be surprised of VWOA changes its posture with regard to EV parts. I don't think they care about vans...
    >>but I'm looking to sell my beloved 1993 Eurovan GL with 73,000 miles, strong durable 5-cylinder Audi truck engine

Exactly what kind of Audi trucks came wiht this Audi truck engine? :)
    Here are some prices from busdepot.com:
    Solid Front Brake Rotor, 93-6/96 EuroVan $49.95 701 615 301B
    Vented Brake Rotor, front, 93-95 Eurovan $49.95 701 615 301A
    Ventilated Brake Disc, EuroVan $41.68 701 615 301D
    If you paid 275 per rotor, you paid too much.

Brake Pads, front, Does Both Wheels, 92-95 EuroVan $29.95 D3232M
    Front Brake Pads US Made 93-98 Eurovan $29.95 D750M
    Again, these parts don't seem priced too high. Don't forget to try non-VWOA parts sources.
  • zavfejzavfej Posts: 13
    I learned something - there are three different p/n for the '01 EV front pads. Mine end with "A" (which we assume means they come with an embedded wire that acts as an early warning for wear). This is the one that is on b/o nationally.
    The cost (via the dealer) is around $130 for the pair. Like I mentioned earlier, as soon as I learned this, I called VWoA and they started a case file, and this week rented me a car. Of course we can't camp in a Dodge Neon, but I felt that the company is trying to do th right thing since they did not support the vehicle. My 2 cents.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,943
    Volkswagen to build new Microbus in 2005

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ropedartropedart Posts: 163
    too early for a board on the microbus 2 years away?
    Actually we did have one but it faded away (discussions automatically archive after 6 weeks or so of inactivity). I thought about pulling it out of the archives, but it's probably still a bit early to sustain itself.

Steve
    Host

• traubejotraubejo Posts: 5
    New to the board and to Eurovan research. The premium fuel requirement on the 2001-2002 Eurovans would seem to make them somewhat expensive to use as a daily driver. Is premium required for 1999 and 2000 EVs too? Thanks.
  • wkb4447wkb4447 Posts: 14
    Well, I got feedback from my post in March, and I talked to a number of VW Camper and Eurovan owners as I evaluated the possibility of buying a well-maintained used camper. Conclusion: pass

Interesting how people who like the van talk about it. They rave about how great it has been for their kids, short camping trips, etc. But, after what seems to be a weak attempt to convince themselves that they made a wise decision to purchase a VW camper/van, the confessions begin to roll forth. Yes, in fact, it has been in the shop a lot, and, yes, they know me down there by my first name, and, yes, it's gutless and a pain to drive, etc. Then, the kicker: "But, we love it!"

I think owning a VW van is somewhat like a marriage for some people - they have so much invested in it that even though it's not ideal, what the heck.

So, I've "broken my engagement" with the whole notion of owning (marrying?) one of these things. Still, where are you going to get a vehicle that doubles as a cool camper with a pop-top, a sink, fridge, a little stove....?

Breaking up is hard to do.
    Consider another poptop camper?

http://www.sportsmobile.com

If you pass on all the RV stuff, these can be as economical as a eurovan. I once checked and confirmed it could be outfitted similar to a eurovan weekender. If you add furnaces, starcool ac, bathrooms, etc and you'd be better off buying a real RV.

There are a few other campers out of canada also. One company converts fords and is called gtrv. Probably just www.gtrv.com. The other converts GM big vans and astros. http://www.parnado.com/ These too can be had in weekender configuration.

Have fun.

• wkb4447wkb4447 Posts: 14
    Cool site. Never heard of those guys. Very impressive. Maybe......
    CNN story on the '05 Microbus. Hard to stay excited about something so far out in the pipeline.

Steve

Host

• jcampa1jcampa1 Posts: 7
    I sympathize with your situation. I had to make a similar decision myself. I too, really liked the Eurovan with the weekender package. I just could not justify the cost overall. I read all the posts of how the repair costs were "relatively" high. As well as the reliability was not there. I'm sure that their are a host of people out there that will refute this but I decided to play it safe and go a slightly different route. I bought a 2002 Honda Oddessey van and I tow a 5X8 utility trailer to haul all of our "stuff". It works great and my wife and two children love our many one week camping trips. It is still like van camping, but we just sleep in a comfortable 12X14 canvas tent and bring all the amenities that we desire. Noone said that camping means that you HAVE to be uncomfortable. Power issued, no problem, got two Honda generators. Hot showers, no sweat, I got a "Laser Insta-hot" water heater. These camping trips are pretty inexpensive overall. The Honda gets 20 mpg and we have plenty of room. Sure I envy the guy with the "blue metalic weekender" parked a few sites away with the top in the open position. I'll just go and visit them and compliment them on their purchase.
  • jcampa1jcampa1 Posts: 7
    Well I am back from my three week vacation to Virginia, Washington, and New York. I put on well over 3,000 miles and the EX preformed flawlessly. I'm glad it did since it's new. I towed my 5x8 utility with all my camping gear. Here is the brake down: The combined weight was 7,400lbs. This was 525 people weight; approx. 400 van cargo; trailer and gear was 2480lbs. add the weight of the new weight distribution hitch from reese and I am just under the 3,500lbs limit. I cannot be any happier on how the Honda has preformed. But by far the most important, crucial, factor was the w/d hitch. The vehicle and trailer towed like it was one unit. when you "crank" on the lever and see the front end of the van get "pushed" down by the action of the hitch, you actually see the vehicle level out. "catam" was absolutely correct about using this type of hitch. "reese" just came out with this type made just for mini-vans. I drove at 60-62 mph on flat roads and got 21 mpg. on "road crowns" or small over-passes I would slow down to 50 or less. when I was going through the mountains, I just shifted to "D-3" and slowed to no higher than 45mph. My total average for the trip was 20-mpg. I know that if I drove at 55 the whole way, I would have gotten even better mileage. I had full control of the vehicle and never experienced a panic stop situation. In any event I maintained a longer than usual stopping distance between cars. I left all the rude drivers in Florida and did not get "cut-off" until I got back into the Miami area. I hate to perpetuate the myth about Florida drivers but from what I see, it more fact than anything else. When I got back, I did the "7,500" service. Changed the oil my self and had to buy Honda 5W-20 at the dealer. Mobil-1 is my preference but they won't have this viscosity until 2003. As far as the transmission temp. gauge that "peloqt" wanted to install. well I did that same thing on my 2000 and it kept on throwing a trans-code. Dealer threatened to void my trans-warranty. My gauge was an "Auto meter" mechanical type and was professionally installed. It was tapped through the oil cooler line and after consulting several engineers, it was determined that the flow of fluid was interrupted do to the in-line "tee" and was producing "bubbles" in the fluid as it passed through the lines which resulted in the trouble code. I over sized the line which was tapped and the problem went away. I strongly sugjest that if anyone was going to attempt this, it would be better to tap into the pan and avoid disturbing any fluid lines. In any event, this would have to be done at a professional shop and not just a rig. Anyway, can't be any happier about my Honda. Plan to go to the Grand Canyon next year. Ain't America Great!
    Sounds like pretty fancy van camping compared to my style! Thanks for the trip report.

Steve
    Host

• Hello. What is the correct oil filter for the 2001 Eurovan. The #021115562A VR6 filter does not fit.

Thanks
  • In the market for a minivan. As a current owner of a '91 Passat Wagen and a few other previous VDubs, naturally I thought of the EuroVan. I am looking for a daily "family hauler" and am considering the Odessey EX with DVD and the EuroVan GLS. I love the sunroof heated seats of the EuroVan, but think the 2 side doors and the Honda practicality might be of major value. I could use a hand in the decision. Any help out there?
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,788
    When do we expect to this Micobus on the road?
    Good question - it's not even showing up on our Future Vehicles radar (meaning not within the next 18 months most likely).

2005 was the last prediction for the roll-out year that I recall.

Steve, Host

• lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,788
    I think I saw some articles about the Micobus as a concept van. I don't remember where I saw. The concept looks like those cars in the Jackson cartoon. I want to see if they can keep some of the original body style (like the front end with a big VW logo) from the old van into this Micobus. Pretty much the similar body style on Beetle and New Beetle.
    There's a link to a concept article in this message:

boaz47 "Microbus in 2005" Jun 24, 2002 9:16am

That discussion is frozen now, but may be of interest.

From what little I've seen, I like it a lot!

Steve, Host

• My 21 yr old son is interested in purchasing a 92 Vanagon or Eurovan. ANy ideas on what kind of gas mileage, repair costs, availability and price of spare parts, etc??? How about handling in the snow?? We live in Maine and would expect he would be putting on 20- 30K/ year on it. THe vehicle has 175K and is is "fair to average" shape for the year- meaning some rust. Maine is notorious for rust with VW's. Inspection sticker is good through July 03 so I assume that it should be safe to drive as is.
    I don't think there was a 92 VW Van in North America. 91 was the last year for the Vanagon. Those are very, very expensive to maintain. They have a preposterous head gasket design that fails regularly and a tricky FI system also. 93 was the first year for the Eurovan. Costs to maintain a Eurovan are fairly high also. Those had Audi 5 cyls in them and many of the peripherals are VW EV specific. There's just not many of them around.

The Vanagon and EV are also drastically different vehicles. Vanagon is rear engine, rear wheel drive and the EV is front engine, FWD. The early busses are pretty good in the snow and even offroad. Vanagons are more evenly balanced front to rear, so they aren't as good in the snow. You'll need snow tires at least and probably chains also. I've never owned an EV so I have no idea.

Parts for either are expensive and hard to find. You won't be buying much at your local car parts place.

EPA said about 17-19MPG in a vanagon and that's about what I got. When people are selling these things, they often promise much better MPG (to offset the sluggish performance I suppose). I've heard it all and never seen a vanagon get(or known a reliable person to claim) 20MPG or better. EV will be about the same, I'm told.

I have this deep-seated, irrational love for VW vans due to vacationing in them as a child. I've owned many and I'll probably own more. In my experience, they have all been very unreliable and very expensive to maintain. You will have to do alot of the work yourself unless you have tons of money. Many mechanics won't work on them or will charge you extra (especially the vanagon). I still love them, but they have abused me, each and every one.

30,000 miles a year is a lot to ask out of one of these. Better to tinker with it all year and get it out for a camping trip or two in the summer. If it were a friend or relative of mine, I'd suggest an old Toyota or Previa if the goal is to get something that is funky/neuvohippy/ earthnuggety. Or perhaps a 1st gen Honda Odyssey/Isuzu Oasis or 4 cyl Dodge if the goal is MPG and snow ability.

Because of the cult following of the VW van, none are cheap. You can often buy much better vans for less if you aren't wedded to VW.

Look at the VW vans clubs at vanagon.com for more FAQ's regarding the vehicles. I think there is also a nice buying guide at www.busdepot.com that is aimed at camper buyers, but the chassis info is the same.

Good luck.
  • Hello. I am interested in buying a 1997 Eurovan at a dealer near my house. It has 35,000 miles on it and has the middle seat, refridgerator...the whole 9 yards. The dealership told me it would cost 26,000 but I am looking online on Edmunds and it says I should only expect to pay 13,000 for this vehicle.. I am trying to figure out if that 13,000 is without the refridgerator and everything else.
    In 1997 the ONLY Eurovan was the Winnebago Campmobile. The 13,000 price is for everything, even that refrigerator. The extra seat is an option, but it was only about $750 or so new. A new EV Camper is only about 35,000-37,000.

Run away fast.
  • I have a 2001 Eurovan. It's about 15 months old and has 17,000 miles on it. It came with Dunlap tires, and the tread on all four tires is shot already. It seems to me that tires ought to last longer than that. Has anyone else had a similar problem. Also, has anyone had good luck with a particular brand and model of tires on the Eurovan. It looks like I will be shopping for new tires soon. Both VW and Dunlap pretty much told me to take a hike when I brought the issue to their attention.
    you must use a reinforced tire. This is because the VWs are tall, narrow, and capable of carrying a large load. Many are 1 tons. Your VW camper is heavy every single day. That is why VW specs the load indexes for the tires that it does. A reinforced tire also greatly helps with front end sway.

Unfortunately, in USA there are very few available. The only appropriate replacement tire in 205/55/15C or Reinforced now available in the USA is the Michelin Agilis.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake= Michelin&tireModel=Agilis&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=065TR5AGILIS

Sorry, I cannot help with the Dunlop. I assume there is a manufacturers warranty? You rotated the tires, right?

• Just bought a 2003 Silver Weekender. Vehicle seems so vunerable with no mouldings or bumpers. Afraid to take it out of my garage.
    Any advice where I can buy some self adhesive type moulding made specifically for the Eurovan?
    Lou