Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• ajordan1ajordan1 Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 97 Euro Winnebego Conversion with 90,000 miles. The van appears to be in excellent shape. What are the issues I should eb concerned with?
  • keybankerkeybanker Posts: 20
    90,000 miles is not too bad for a 1997. You should expect no engine problems for quite some time. But it is definitely in the danger zone for transmission replacement which costs $6,000. Unfortunately, I know of no way to check a transmission for wear other than if it is acting funny. Make sure you don't pay much more than $20,000 for the vehicle because it is very likely you will spend some serious money on that transmission in the next 30,000-40,000 miles.
    90,000 miles is not too bad for a 1997. You should expect no engine problems for quite some time. But it is definitely in the danger zone for transmission replacement which costs $6,000. Unfortunately, I know of no way to check a transmission for wear other than if it is acting funny. Make sure you don't pay much more than $20,000 for the vehicle because it is very likely you will spend some serious money on that transmission in the next 30,000-40,000 miles.
  • I would check: http://www.poptopheaven.com/

I got a 3rd seat for my Eurovan there. :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • cmajorcmajor Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a 2003 EuroVan. Is yours still available? I'm ready to upgrade from my 1986 vanagon.
  • cmajorcmajor Posts: 2
    Who makes a hard top for the EuroVan? I have a fantstic one on my 1986Vanagon. I'm looking into modernizing to a 2000 to a 2003 EuroVan and I don't see any with hard top conversions. We don't need any other conversion, just the top added after a hole is cut in the roof. Do they exist? I'm in Orange County, California south of Los Angeles.

Where can I find dimensions of the EuroVan and Vanagon? I want to compare so I can see if I'm loosing or gaining space.

What is the ground clearance under the EuroVan?
  • fbrawsr0fbrawsr0 Posts: 16
    Yes, I still have it and its just beautiful, it now has 40k miles. email is raraseal@aol.com. I am in Seal Beach, CA
  • skipplesskipples Posts: 1
    Which model and how much?
  • Sorry I didn't get the message in last time. Does anyone know how to untangle the shower hose that is mounted inside the back left panel of a (for example) 2000 EuroVan? This has been a handy feature for me and it is tangled now internally so I can't pull the hose out more than a few inches. Most panels seem to give me access to electrical system only. thanks
    It's a 2003 GLC with less than 41K miles and an extended 100K mile warranty. Excellent condition. I am asking 17K OBO. Absolutely beautiful piece of machinery. Great place to call home if someone wants to save money, be free of landlords and mortgages. Live in it and shower at your local gym.
    The hose probably got twisted. Can you gently try twisting it in one direction or another? That might help loosen it up. I call Chris at GoWesty for advice. He manages the service department there and the phone number for the service department is on www.gowesty.com website. Good luck! John
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    We don't allow buying/selling in the Forums, so please take any further negotiations to email.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Sorry about using the forum as my personal classifieds. If the person still has interest in my VW van, please contact me directly at raraseal@aol.com. Thanks
  • Can anyone tell me where to buy new gas struts? The ones I have do not hold up lid covering stove and sink.
  • I bought mine from Mobility RV which is the authorized distributor of Winnebago Industries parts. Their phone number is 1-800-933-7742. Good luck. John
  • Hello, Everyone:

I just joined this discussion group to ask for some help.

I purchased new, and still own, a 1993 VW EuroVan CL. It has the inline five-cylinder gas engine, with a five-speed manual transmission. The EuroVan now has about 120,000 miles on it. I say, "about," because the odometer went out a while ago, and this is an educated guess at the actual mileage.

I won't bore you with all the details. but the FIFTH clutch is about to go. It has chattered for quite some time, and now the throw-out bearing is making a hideous noise. It is not going to last much longer.

So, I live in San Francisco. I need a good, qualified mechanic who really knows the EuroVan to install a new clutch.

Anybody know someone? San Francisco? Marin County? Sonoma County? Or, maybe, South - San Mateo County? Santa Clara County? East Bay?

Pease advise, and thanks ...

inlinefive
  • 2001 Eurovan (76K miles MOL .) Automatic transmission acts like it is slipping in 1st gear, and sometimes jerks when beginning to move. Also, car will roll back when on slight hill at stoplight. Local dealer says $7600 for a rebuilt transmission. From this forum, it looks like there may be an electrical problem possibility also, so replacing the transmission may not be the right fix.
    1. Any suggestions? 2. Any recommendations on how to find a reliable independent mechanic in the Denver, CO area? Thanks.
  • The automatic transmissions in the Eurovans is the weakest part. They can go out at any time and rarely last more than 120,000 miles. I suggest you call some wrecking yards for used ones.
  • I have a 1993 Eurovan with a 5-speed manual transmission. When Iput it on reverse it makes a funny noise... other gears are ok..Any ideas what that could be?
    Thanks Alain
  • KP_AKKP_AK Posts: 1
    I have a newer Eurovan that runs great as long as the outside temps are above 20F or so. If I take the van out, warm up the inside, park it and then the outside temp drops into the teens or lower the van will not start. Get a click, click noise - some noise from under the passenger seat. All other electronic items seem to work o.k. - lights, radio, dash lights, etc. Have been to the dealer twice. Last winter they said it was some computer thing, not under warranty, that would cost over $900.00. This winter we have a different answer - "You need to drive the van more and the problem will take care of itself." Don't get me started on the dealer, they haven't got a clue as to what the problem is. There has been some discussion about ingnitions, key programming, and other possible problems on the forum. Has anyone else had this problem? HELP needed in Alaska. :sick:
  • tormantorman Posts: 1
    Inlinefive:

Did you ever get a list of recommended mechanics for your transmission? I am having the same issue with my 1993 and would love to hear about any reccommendations your found.
  • Hello:

I never received a response from this forum. However, after a long process, I got into the hands of Tom Cebollero (Owner) of Metric Motors at 1480 Howard Street in San Francisco. Tom has owned Metric Motors for nearly three years, and I cannot imagine a business-owner who is more eager to please the customer. They did great work. I am absolutely confident that if there are any problems with the job they did, they will back it up. I was around there long enough to notice that Tom seems to have many satisfied customers. I certainly am one of them.

I had posted the phone number, but got "busted" for so doing. So, just look 'em up in the phone book.

Inlinefive
  • I bought new struts through Winnebago.com. Their corporate headquarters in the midwest. They actually have a parts catalogue on line.
    Chris
  • I have a 2002 Eurovan GL and needed a roof rack a few years back. We've owned it new and it has 140k miles on it. I bought Thule for it. It has plates on the ends of the rack which lay on the body and at the end of those plates is a "hooked" edge that hooks onto an edge above the windows. I use it twice a year and it has never come off. I take them off after each trip covering 1,600 miles roundtrip, not counting miles once were at our destination.
  • I had that problem only recently. Our '02 that we bought new, now has 140k on it with no breakdowns. The button was frozen. We were in Chicago for a week during Christmas and sat for about 2 days till we loaded it up to drive home(700 miles south). A blowdrier freed it up after several minutes of warming it up and it was above freezing at the time. Since then, it has frozen up twice over night and take 5 minutes or so with a blowdrier inside the van blowing on the shifter and up-and-down the shaft. I did nothing outside. I drove it up on ramps to look underneath to see what there was down there and saw an enclosed box, at about the location where the shifter was mounted to the floor, with what looked like a cable coming out and headed towards the left front. So, it appeared that the mechanism is sealed up down below and explains why the blowdrier worked. My only guess is we spilled liquid down along the shifter along the trip. The problem is disasembling it to see what, if anything, is in there freezing. :confuse:
  • My reply is 2 years old, but it's about the same problem. I took a blowdrier to get mine going. I looked under the vehicle and found nothing exposed....which explained why the blowdrier worked(two more times). It's only happened beginning this past Christmas(2008) up in Chicago and then twice in Tulsa. I thought maybe we spilled liquid down along the shaft along our trip, but I'm afraid to try disassembling the shifter to see. Have you had any response or answer to your question over these past two years? :confuse:
  • Where do they drill the small hole? I looked underneath and it looks like a sealed box with a cable coming out of it about where the shifter appears to be mounted to the floor. My guess is that the drivers spill drinks. :confuse:
  • HI. If your rack is still available, I have a question or 2.
    (1) Will if fit a 2002 Eurovan, and
    (2) What would you consider to be a reasonable price?
    Thanks
    Larry
  • A friend recently reported that the engine light on my 2003 VW eurovan stays on when started. It is parked for 6 months while I am in Italy. I had all fluids checked before leaving and there in no oil leak. Does anyone have any suggestions or know why this is happening? Thanks