Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• I have a well maintained VW eurovan GL that runs and drives great...only problem is that right
    after it is started, it doesn't want to stay running unless you give it some gas. Once I drive away
    and put it into neutral or stop at a light, it idles a-OK. It has been taken to a dealer twice and they've had no luck..they've tried switching fuse after fuse after fuse...specifically #15.
    Any ideas?

thanks.
  • More fun electrical questions to add to the list...When I try and lock the doors from the outside w/ the key on the driver's side door, all the doors lock fine BUT there is a continuous humming noise that will not stop within the driver's door. I would imagine it would run the battery down after a few hrs..so obviously, I don't lock it. I can't even lock the van since the driver side and passenger side doors cannot be manually locked when the key is not in the ignition...would anyone know what to start looking at? Thanks!
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    You folks might also want to ask your questions in the discussion below to see if the members there have any ideas.

Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems that are driving you crazy

Claire

HOST

• Help! I have a '99 EV camper, I camp a lot. Problem: When I am parked with the engine off and want to use my accessories...CD player, VCR, etc. I must turn the ignition switch on...this turns the headlights on. Question: Is there a way to keep the headlight from coming on every time the ignition switch is turned on???

Thank you, Larry in Boise :confuse:
  • wynne2wynne2 Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 2001 Eurovan. The sliding door started knocking 2 years ago. I took it in to the dealership. 2 days & $500 later I got it back, but door still making noise. The interior door panel has now pulled away in upper left hand corner where the lock is, and now door won't lock properly. :sick:
  • Have a 2002 Eurovan which needs brake pads replaced. The dealer's shop wants $700 for the work. Is that reasonable??
  • If its any consolation we have ben having problems with the door since the beginning. They don't know how to fix it. Ours even flies open without warning.
  • HELP! I can't find the oil filter on my 99 eurovan? Anyone have clues to where the canister is?
    Thanks
    :confuse:
  • If you only need the pads replaced, it is an incredibly easy task. With the newness of your vehicle, it should be simple. With the car up, and the wheel off, you will see two steel pins that go through the brake caliper - held in by a spring clip. The pins have a larger head on one end, so tap them out using a small drift accordingly. New pins that are anodized against rust are available from the Murrays Auto Store (Michigan) or other independent auto stores (about 20 bucks for the 4 pins and 2 springs). Also, new Bosch brake pads were available from the same Murrays source for around $40.00. Ordering takes 3-5 days, Brake pads just slide into a slot in the calipers. Take apart and installing new parts = about three hours with common tools. If you are not into doing your own work, you can buy the parts, take them with you and interview a competent repair shop for their estimate of labor. Anyone charging more than $100 labor for this easy job is to be avoided. A good repair shop should be able to do the whole job in an hour maximum.
    I did the same on my 1995 Eurovan. The pins were rusted in the holes - necessitated cutting them off, driving the pieces out, smoothing the holes out, and then just slipping in the new parts. Driveway time even with these complications = 4 hours.
    Good Luck, Wanderphil
  • Hello,

I am interested in purchasing A Eurovan Camper 2001-2003 with under 40,000 miles.

#1. It looks like a lot of the problems are with older model Eurovan Campers...how is the reliability mechanically of the above models?

#2. anyone suggest any alternatives to Pop Top Heaven, as someone suggested they are more expensive...but seem to be have the most inventory and deliver..as I am in New Mexico.

#3. Any accesories that you can't live without?

Thank you!
  • Deb:

We had the same problem. There is a switch attached to the brake pedal that is faulty. I don't recall exactly what the repair cost, but I do remember that it wasn't expensive. If you take it to a reputable VW repair shop, they ought to be able to figure it out right away.

Regards,

GeoffK
  • I'm thinking about converting a Eurovan to a delivery van and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about pulling a gas engine and dropping in a new TDI. Are there any compatibility issues? I know the tranny can handle the torque.
    Also, where can I get European suspension components? They have delivery vans in Europe based on this platform that have diesels and can carry much heavier payloads.
  • Hi, I'm wondering if you found anything more out about importing a diesel Eurovan into the dtates from Mexico. I am really interested in doing the same thing and also live in Arizona.

Thanks,
    Julie
  • My son has a '93 Eurovan that won't start,he had it in the shop and they couldn't figure it out. I've been checking it out and found the compression to be from 20 to 60 pounds. He said he did have a coolant leak that he fixed, but I'm thinking he overheated it and blew the head gasket and maybe warped the head. It cranks over and fires, but just won't start. I'm about ready to pull the head off and see what it looks like. Does anyone have a better idea?
  • did you find out where the oil filter is? I have the same problem.
  • I was wondering if anyone out there has had problems with the electrical system on their Eurovan. I have a 2001 van that the headlights and interior dash lights go out intermittently. I hear a click, the lights go out, the brake light comes on, 5 sec later, I hear the click again (from somewhere in the dashboard) and the lights come back on. Any suggestions on what is going on?
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, jsoria,

Another place you might want to ask this question is in the Electronic Gremlins: electrical problems that are driving you crazy discussion. Hope you get some answers soon :-)

Claire

HOST

• hey have you tried applying the parking brake? that does the trick you seek on my 2002... ;)
  • bot3bot3 Posts: 1
    Anyone with suggestions for how to repair the armrest on the Driver's chair? I leaned lightly on it and it gave out. Should I remove it to get at the mechanism? It's hard to see but it looks like an Allen wrench is needed.
  • I have just bought a 99 Eurovan Winnebago camper. It is frustrating trying to find parts and accessories for this hybrid that no one seems to want to own. Winnebago's web site doesn't reference the Eurovan Winnebago or tell you who sells their parts and accesories. One would think they would sell them. Indendent web sites that claim to are hit and miss as to what they have. A VW dealer doesn't know anything about the camper component. I live in Moorpark, CA and would like to find a good resource for camper things that break. Anyone have any suggestions?