Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Suburban window problems

quejoquejo Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
I hava a 2001 chevy suburban.I here clicking when i try to roll the window down.Do i need just a motor or do I need the regulator and the motor?

Comments

• Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Take the inside panel off the door, and observe what is clicking, and why it is clicking.

It may just be something loose or jammed, and you don't need anything but a wrench.
  • Options
    quejoquejo Member Posts: 3
    I may try that but if i dont find what it is then what?if i need both the regulator and the motor what would i be looking for?if i just need the motor what would i need to know to tell me "all you need is the motor"
  • Options
    If the 'clicking', is the motor turning but the geared track not moving (example, track bound or loose, so track moves away from motor gear), then your fix is dependent upon whether you've stripped any of the gears, and if so, whether you've stripped the track, the motor gear, or both.

If you haven't stripped the gears, and the track is loose, tighten the track.

If you haven't stripped the gears, but the window/rack is bound by something, unbind it and you may be okay as is.

If the 'clicking' is electrical and coming from the regulator, then you'll probably need a new regulator.

You really do need to take it apart and observe the operation to figure out what is wrong. Don't buy the parts until you figure out what you really do need.

Or....take it to the dealer and have them fix it since they'll know exactly what to do.
  • Options
    natural2natural2 Member Posts: 2
    While trying to let up passenger window, it turns about 180degrees upward but it will go down.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    While trying to let up passenger window, it turns about 180degrees upward but it will go down.

What are you trying to say here? Can you explain this better?
  • Options
    natural2natural2 Member Posts: 2
    When trying to let up the passenger window, the" window" actual turn counter-clockwise, so the corner of the window is pointing upward. It will let back down though.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You'll need to take the inner door panel off, and inspect the lifting mechanism. Something either came apart, wore out, or broke. Window's ride up and down in track, with usually some sort of mechanical scissor arrangement that lifts the window in the track. I would expect that you'd see that only one side of it is connected and working.

If one side of that comes off, you'll get the symptom you are seeing where the window starts to come up, but it only comes up on one side so the window twists and doesn't life evenly.

It comes back down okay, because gravity assists the side that isn't working correctly.
This discussion has been closed.