Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Does Subaru Know That Others Don't?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Is it a concept and doesn't even have an upgraded engine.

I think this is more of an SPT catalog item than a new model.
  • Subie hawtness

Man I would love to this one come to market unchanged but I won't get my hopes up :( Still a fantastic looking concept :shades:
    I like it, too. Bob had e-mailed me that photo.

I love the front and rear views. From the side, the flares are a bit exaggerated, but this is a concept, after all.

I hope the production model stays true to this concept.

Also, they imply it is a through-the-road AWD system, well, I wonder if the motor will power the front axle or the rear axle only? Electric power only to the other axle, I read.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    All recent posts here look pretty much like cgi dreams to me.
  • Subaru Advanced Tourer Concept is an awesome angry wagon

Unfortunately, with Subies releases lately, the concept gets watered down... alot. I'm hopeful that this one will be different but I'm not holding my breath. Still, the good news is maybe Subie will bring back the Legacy wagon! :D
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Gorgeous! I really like those wheels, too, despite their being oversized for the car.

We'll never see anything like it on the road, but it sure holds promise, doesn't it?
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Bring back the Legacy wagon? Oh, please, oh please...... I would LOVE that.

I suspect that would be the wife's next car. If they don't make it it's probably on to an Outback.
    Too much watering down when it came to the Impreza concept, but note that the BRZ turned out just fine.

I don't expect the Legacy to look like that, but at least the concept is inspiring.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Oh, I'd be stunned if it looked like that but am pulling for a return of the Legacy wagon.
    GT with a manual, please. ;)
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    edited November 2011
    Well, as AJ said, the BRZ is pretty close to the concepts that were shown. That said, for this type of vehicle, real-world reality will set in negating some of the extreme styling aspects. Still, I'm sure it will be better than the current frumpy-looking Legacy and Outback.

One thing in its favor: Kia and Hyundai have shown that really attractive cars will sell to mass-market customers—and Subaru knows that! That plus the current Legacy and Outback are a clear step backwards in terms of looks—and Subaru knows that as well.

So the pressure is on the Subaru decision-makers to let the designers do what they do best—design!

Bob
    edited November 2011
    The current Legacy and Outback easily outsell the outgoing model, though likely due to size, not styling.

Still, when the 2005 Legacy came out, people called it boring, Camry-like. Then again people complain no matter what Subaru does. I'm surprised few are complaining about the BRZ, first non-controversial looking new product I can recall.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    edited November 2011
    They're outselling the old Legacy/Outback—in spite of their styling, not because of it.

The new cars are just better at being "family" vehicles; thanks to increased size, better content and pricing.

Just imagine how well they would be selling if the styling was exceptional. The dealers would be sold out.

Bob
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,432
    edited November 2011
    2005 Legacy was nothing like Camry. It was smaller and nimbler (which of course for many was a negative - not for me), it had a great looking wagon (2005 and 2006 - then discontinued). I was really disapointed with this new one. It's a barge. :( The specs etc. may be all good, but the size is not for me. OTOH Impreza is already too compact, both in terms of size and and equipment. Even current STI (I own 2008) is not exactly "premium" - $18K Impreza roots are visible.

I really liked the older one, especially in GT trim, it was a true sports sedan/wagon, but I understand why they did what they did (pretty much same as Mazda). For one lost customer they probably picked up couple of new ones.

All those things made me pony up additional 10 grand for 328 wagon w/ manual tranny :P .

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

I didn't think that way, but those were the comments from the peanut gallery. The 05 model was very conservative, perhaps too much so.

I happened to like it a lot.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    I thought the 05 was a big improvement over the outgoing model, very clean. The new one, too big and bulky looking.
  • Does your 328 have AWD? I would love to buy one of those but they are about as common as a Bugatti Veyron :(
  • And this is a pretty cool video of the new BRZ (Not a fan of the name...)

Subaru BRZ gets sideways to some adult contemporary in first film

Looking forward to test driving this one!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    BRZ does remind one a bit of a Plymouth.

Seems like Subaru and other companies have better luck tagging numbers and initials onto words, at least in North America. It's not the WRX, it's the Impreza WRX (or WRX STi). The B9X concept became the B9 Tribeca and then just the Tribeca.

Most people in NA never say MX5; they drop that and just say Miata. But Audi and BMX get away with the hard to decipher names.