Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Does Subaru Know That Others Don't?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The 09+ are taller and have more body roll.

Wrong type of vehicle for the track. Maybe Rally Cross.

Hon, can I borrow the keys?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,937
    Everyone else is having big recalls; time for Subaru to join the club.

Subaru Recalls Nearly 634,000 Cars and SUVs (NY Times)

Kind of funny that it's "puddle" lights getting wet that's the problem.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    edited January 2013
    Well, if nothing else (good) came of all that hullabaloo surrounding the "unintended acceleration" on Toyota vehicles, at least vehicle issues, regardless of how minor (in terms of failure chance), are treated in a far more transparent fashion now.

It'll give me a second excuse to take my Forester in for its annual exam next summer. So far, every time I've taken it in to have a concern addressed, I have asked them to apply a recall at the same time. :D
    Wife's car is probably affected.
    edited January 2013
    Passed 91k on the '97 Outback over the holidays and got a nice salty coat on it.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,159
    Wow Steve, only 91K? My wifes 2008 Outback will be there probably next year. Heck, my little 2007 Impreza passed that mark earlier this year!

BOT, Subie sales are up a huge 26% this year, or almost 70 thousand units. They've got some serious momentum going it seems, and with a new Forester coming next year as well as the XV Crosstrek hitting the dealers, things are looking really good for 2013... :shades:
    I know - really should sell it and let someone else enjoy it. Take the money and get some snow tires on the van. Don't really need two cars and we just drive the Subaru when the weather looks like it could get bad.

Everyone keeps saying that mine has the awful head gasket problem but so far so good.

I put $1,000 into good tires and new brakes all round in the last year. That's about it for maintenance since I did the timing belt for $715 back in 2010 and a set of tires back in '06; just oil changes and stuff. Subies do tend to run good.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Mind-blowing, Steve! That salt looks horrendous. 91K, sheesh.
    The only thing I can figure is that Morton must own the highway department.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    with all their sales success recently, they can figure out how to send more BRZs to the United States....it's one of two contenders for my next purchase, probably a year or two out.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,159
    edited March 2013
    A quick glance at this months numbers and it looks like Subaru is inching closer and closer to matching Volkswagon brand for brand! They were only about 3 thousand units off the mark this month and only 5 thousand for the year :surprise:

Not saying they are going to knock VW down a notch tomorrow but for a company that sells about 3/4 of the lineup that VW sells, and one without a Full size ute like the Toureg, a minivan or a full size car like the CC as well as being 100% AWD and marketed to the snow belt, those month over increases are pretty amazing. :shades:

Also, brand for brand, Subaru outsold Chrysler (the brand) this month... by 3000 units! :D

link title
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I've got to say, that IS pretty amazing. I knew Subaru's numbers were really good now, but I didn't know they were that good.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Up 11% over a good month last year.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    I see they yanked the Forester a year earlier to put in the new model. Lots of competition in that market segment.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    No, the Forester is on a 5 year cycle; current model debuted in 2009, so 2014 is the start of new 5 year cycle. And the model often debuts earlier in the calendar than year to year carryover models.
    Right, but 6 years is the standard cycle. 2014 shouldn't have been a re-do.
    1998 debut lasted 5 years.

2003 model went 6.

2009 gen 3 went back to 5.

You're both right, it is a matter of interpretation.
    I was thinking about *design* changes, not so much model years. I wasn't clear on that. So 6 years for a major re-make is sort of an industry standard these days.
    Yeah, I think when sales tanked a lot of cycles were stretched. Now sales are picking up and they're hurrying products to market.

The WRX is ancient, still based on the old Impreza.