Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005+ Tacoma with RUSTY FRAME

Comments

• What state are you in? if it's Ohio I definitely want that dealers number. I think New York was the one of the few/ if not the only state that waqs extended till decemer of 2012.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    edited June 2012
    You know as well as I do that Toyota is not spending $200.00 per vehicle but actually spending much more for Tacoma owners who come forward with the frame problem. Buy backs at 150% of book value per truck? Frame replacements at $11,000.00 per truck? And your gonna quote me $200.00 per vehicle ? What a joke !
  • You just made my point.

Toyota admits that 812,000 vehicles where affected and eligible for the program. If the $100,000,000 dollar number you threw out is correct then they have paid an average of $123.15, per eligible vehicle. (actually lower than I estimated).

Of course that number is incorrect. They paid much more per vehicle. So they couldn't have taken care of many of them at all with only 100 million dollars.

That means there are a lot of people out there who own these trucks and have either not been notified or have been denied repairs.

You may have been one of the lucky ones, good for you. but if you had not had yours repaired but instead denied You may feel differently.
    I'm sorry, my mistake. After re-reading the article by the New York Times, the $100 million was just for the buybacks of the 1995 to 2000 Tacomas. We both know many thousands more built after 2000 had frame replacements at approx. $11,000 a pop, so obviously much more than $100 million was spent on the program. This proves even further the commitment Toyota had to resolving the rust issue.
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    I strongly doubt that Toyota actually footed the bill for most of these. The frame manufacturer (Dana) would retain liability and was probably forced to pick most or all of the cost. Toyota becomes the middle man and while I'm sure there were costs to them, the bulk of the expense was picked up by Dana.
    No, Dana settled with Toyota in January of 2011 for a one time payment of only 25 million dollars to release them from all warranty claims due to frame rust issues. Dana is now out of the frame business and sold the business to a Mexican company.
  • mcmotomcmoto Posts: 3
    Who have you written to so far regarding your 05. The dealer will not touch the 05 Tacoma in Woburn MA. I would love to get an idea of how many other people are facing this problem. Maybe an open letter sent to an agency can get some action. I am gather information to write letters to different parties hoping to get some response. Any information or ideas are welcome.
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    Didn't know that Tom. Thanks for the correction. Dana got off incredibly easily.
  • cshinn89cshinn89 Posts: 4
    Both my father and I had 05 tacomas I still have mine but the frame is starting to look bad, as for my dads he had to replace it 2 months ago because his frame rusted through and creaked and Toyota tools him he was SOL
    I am assuming SOL means statute of limitation. 2005 was not part of the class action. That is the problem. I wonder if some of the 2005 were equiped with some of the Dana frames. Anyway of finding out what kind of parts you have on your car? Seems interesting some trucks have the same trouble.
    I am assuming SOL means statute of limitation. 2005 was not part of the class action. That is the problem. I wonder if some of the 2005 were equiped with some of the Dana frames. Anyway of finding out what kind of parts you have on your car? Seems interesting some trucks have the same trouble.
  • oly51oly51 Posts: 3
    I think he meant Sh*t Out of Luck...

I'm going to bring my '05 Taco to a dealer next week for an oil change and will have them inspect the frame so it is on record.
    I did mean s*it out of luck
  • paul239paul239 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 tacoma king cab long bed with frame rot at the front inside on both sides at the radius directly behind the wheels. Are there any considerations offered by toyota? I will follow up with my dealer.
    Their solution was buy a new one with no help from us
  • This sounds exactly like what happened to me! I got a letter from Toyota about 2 years ago saying that my truck MAY be recalled due to a rust issue and that I should contact my local dealership... which I did! Though I tried multiple times over the next 2 years, each time I called the dealership (Sloane in Glenside, PA) I was told that MY truck was NOT one of the ones recalled even though it was listed online. The dealership refused to even INSPECT it!

Then, three weeks ago, my own mechanic told me my 97' Toyota Tacoma would not even pass inspection next year, that it was unsafe, and that the frame was completely rotted! He showed me! It crumbled in his hands when he pushed his finger through it! I called the dealership AGAIN! This time they told me it was covered for another 3 months, scheduled for me to bring it in this morning, but when I did they had NO record of the appointment, NO record of me ever being in their system at all, and told me that the recall had expired, thank you very much and have a nice day. I AM FURIOUS because now I have a worthless truck that I paid full price for that I can't resale! And I can't afford to fix it OR buy a new car! I really want to get involved in a class action law suit! This was intentional! I'm at mdomanska@sch.org if anyone has a good lawyer! They owe me a vehicle!
  • In your case your truck IS! part of the recall and you ARE! entitled to 150% of the KBB value
  • claudieclaudie Posts: 2
    My 05 Tacoma is unsafe to drive as per the dealer . I had it inspected in 2010 was told it was not bad just minor rust.had it inspected again July 30 2012 was told by service manager yep unsafe to drive.sorry call Toyota experience and complain we can't do anything. called them with case # they said its in dealer hands. my stabilizer bar is rotted off the frame plus holes through frame I'm looking into a class action law suit any helpful information ? I know i;m not the only one.JUST LOOK AROUND ITS ALL OVER THE INTERNET.ANY ONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM SHOULD CALL AND COMPLAIN ! DON'T LET UP THATS WHAT TOYOTA WANTS THEY WANT YOU TO GO AWAY WELL GUESS WHAT I'M NOT!!!!!!!!!! TO BE CONTINUED.............
  • andiautandiaut Posts: 2
    I would love to be a part of that law suit if you find one. We took our 2002 tacoma in, it was inspected, they passed it and sprayed the frame to prevent rust. This was when the recall first happened about two years ago. They gave us the extended 15 year warranty. As we were driving the brakes went out two weeks ago. Upon futher inspection the brake lines were rusted in two. As we looked under the frame had a hole completely rust in frame. both side were cracked. Took it to dealer they said one side was definitly rust damage but the other side was due to stress. They had inspector look at the frame and he said it was due to abuse. SO it is Not covered. Abuse cause by what? driving it in the snow? If one side is rust of course the other will have stress. We own three toyotas at this time, and have owned many before these. It is ashame to be a loyal consumer and be screwed like this!!
  • andiautandiaut Posts: 2
    I would love to be a part of that law suit if you find one. We took our 2002 tacoma in, it was inspected, they passed it and sprayed the frame to prevent rust. This was when the recall first happened about two years ago. They gave us the extended 15 year warranty. As we were driving the brakes went out two weeks ago. Upon futher inspection the brake lines were rusted in two. As we looked under the frame had a hole completely rust in frame. both side were cracked. Took it to dealer they said one side was definitly rust damage but the other side was due to stress. They had inspector look at the frame and he said it was due to abuse. SO it is Not covered. Abuse cause by what? driving it in the snow? If one side is rust of course the other will have stress. We own three toyotas at this time, and have owned many before these. It is ashame to be a loyal consumer and be screwed like this!!