Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    bamacar and tiff_c

I agree completely that the current 09's with the 'closeout specials' being in effect are the bargains. The top Package 6 can be bought today for essentially what the baseline Package 2 was going for last summer. The current baseline Package 2 is just above the new Insight II prices and may even be lower if the dealers hold to the ADM's.

One idea that's apparently been adopted in Japan, and depending on how tight we the public are this year, is to continue the current Gen2 2009 Prius as a very basic model right above the Insight II prices. The 2010's would then begin at $23500-ish or so.
  • rbk3rbk3 Posts: 34
    Bamacar,

Perception is everything. If we raced the two cars the Insight will win based on your reviews.

The Insight may be quicker 0.10 - 0.20 sec 0-60mph but the engine in the Insight makes a very whinny sound when standing on the gas. Maybe this is why the Prius felt quicker. The dealer that drove with me also said he thought the car moved like a slug compared to the Prius.

Same with the handling. To me it felt better in the Prius.

I don't work for either company.
  • One item to remember as to which car to consider buying is the fact that the '09 Prius is the 6th year same style hybrid and that is worth keeping in mind. The '10 Prius hasn't changed all that much although there are several engineering changes worth weighing in the decision. After seeing the 2010 model I have to say that if there are reasonable negotiations it may mean that the better choice could very well be the 2010 Prius. Just an opinion. As to the Insight, I like it but it lacks fit & finish that the Prius has.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    The '10 Prius hasn't changed all that much...

No. Just a new platform with different suspension; new exterior (although a similar overall shape, but less drag); new interior with more room, new dashboard and center console, and new seats; mostly-new powertrain (larger and more powerful ICE, new batteries, etc.); and many new features including moonroof with solar panels.

Nope--not much new there. ;)
    True that. The skin looks the same but according to Toyota under the skin the 2010 is 90% different
  • What I said still is generaly accepted in the Prius Circles. The "LOOK" is pretty much the same exterior. On the inside there are several changes. I went to an exclusive showing in Chicago a few weeks ago and had an oppertunity to take an "up close and detailed" check of the '10 Prius and yes I was presented the many new & improved details of the 3rd Gen Prius. I like it but only if the Price Is Right! I'm sure it will do well in this depressed market as opposed to other cars. Time will tell.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    The Insight feels more sporty than the Prius in much the same was as a Civic LX feels more sporty than a base level Corolla. But in reality The Prius feels more like an Accord or Camry and the Insight more like a Civic/Corolla.
    Although neither description is totally correct.
    2009 Prius = Big car feel
    Insight = Econobox feel
    My main concern is how much better the 2010 Prius is over the 2009. Sure it's all new and just the elimination of the bladder fuel tank makes me 10 times more interested in it vs the 2009. Where I live we have very cold winters. Bladder tank can be an issue around here.
    I need a car by the end of the month and seriously doubt the 2010 will be out then, so the question is how long can I wait and how much ADM will dealers add to the new model. For certain they WILL do it at least in my area.
    $2,000 ADM on an Insight and I told the Honda Dealer I could buy a new Prius for that and this was an Insight LX!
    He basically said that the Prius was a rattletrap and fell apart after 30-40k miles and that the Insight would easily outlast the Prius.
    The Internet Sales Manager I normally deal with wasn't in.
    But the Insight doesn't impress me and back seat room is awful.
  • chadxchadx Posts: 153
    "He [salesman] basically said that the Prius was a rattletrap and fell apart after 30-40k miles and that the Insight would easily outlast the Prius. "

And he said that with a straight face?! He is either uninformed, a flat out lier, or both. Time to find another sales person (even if it's at the same dealership) to work with. Don't give your money (sales commision) to someone that will lie that blatantly.
  • Better yet. When ever a (supposed) salesman bad mouths a competitor's product turn a deaf ear and walk away. Facts & fair comparisons are all a good salesman ever needs to sell a car. That and a test drive. Why do you think Toyota has come to be a leader in the automotive world? My '04 Prius is closing in on 100K and nary a problem. Much the same with all (yes I said all) my other Prius owner friends and acquaintances. I've owned over 50 cars thru the yrs and I've never come across a better car for all around performance, quality, and dependability...not to mention high 40's mpg. Anyone notice gas starting to edge up lately? What did you expect? Lastly, the Prius is not the only great car on the market it's just at the top of the heap of those great ones.
    "He [salesman] basically said that the Prius was a rattletrap and fell apart after 30-40k miles and that the Insight would easily outlast the Prius. "

And he said that with a straight face?! He is either uninformed, a flat out liar, or both. Time to find another sales person (even if it's at the same dealership) to work with. Don't give your money (sales commission) to someone that will lie that blatantly.

Oh he's a flat out liar. They won't let me deal with the Internet sales manager any more for some reason even tho I bought a car from them.
    This sales manager is a hard case and I wound up going to another dealer and saving $2,700!
    This is a sales manager, not a salesman. Autofair Honda in Manchester, NH in case anyone is interested. They put ADM stickers on almost all of their cars, it's very annoying.
    Plus they have a $400 doc fee on all cars and it's non-negotiable.
    They do have an excellent service dept and I take my car there for servicing.
    Better yet. When ever a (supposed) salesman bad mouths a competitor's product turn a deaf ear and walk away. Facts & fair comparisons are all a good salesman ever needs to sell a car. That and a test drive. Why do you think Toyota has come to be a leader in the automotive world? My '04 Prius is closing in on 100K and nary a problem. Much the same with all (yes I said all) my other Prius owner friends and acquaintances. I've owned over 50 cars thru the yrs and I've never come across a better car for all around performance, quality, and dependability...not to mention high 40's mpg. Anyone notice gas starting to edge up lately? What did you expect? Lastly, the Prius is not the only great car on the market it's just at the top of the heap of those great ones.

Nah, i just hear them out and decide if they are full of bull and if they are I just ignore what they said. My main issue will be needing a car within a month and the 2010 Prius isn't due out until the end of May/early June. Might have to buy a different car. I don't care for the 2009 Prius. Too bad the 2010 Prius will not be out. They lost a sale from me last year because of price gouging and lack of availability and now it's not out by the time I will need a car. Oh well, I still won't buy the Insight.
  • I'm starting to look at a replacement for my wife's 03 Accord and until recently didn't consider the Prius. After seeing photos of and knowing about the features of the 2010 model, the car has become a serious option. I like everything so far except I'm not sure how I'll deal with the centered IP (might end up giving my car to my wife and I'll be driving the Prius).

Can those who have one or contemplating on getting one share opinions on this ?

I know the IP location may be a minor factor vs the car's core value, but I do have reservations about its logic.
  • Perifferal vision takes in an awfull lot. I found getting use to the 2nd gen Prius took very lttle time. I personally like change if it's creative, practical, and inovative. Toyota is that and more, what with its' hybrid technology and success in that venue. Some carmakers lead and some well......just tag along behind. Oh, by the way....Almost 100K on my '04 Prius and running strong. Best car "EVER."
    I sat in one at one of the preliminary presentations in DC. It's only slightly right of center. In fact the various info screens extend from directly in front of the driver to just left of center.

None are on the road yet for the public. Production is supposed to begin on Monday in Japan, meaning here at the end of May or so. You should wait til they arrive and drive one to see if the placement is a problem. I don't think it will be. When Toyota gave the Press a bunch to test drive no one even mentioned the info screens AFAIK.

;) Oh by the way, just over 110,000 on my 2005 and it's MY best car EVER also.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    I have a Yaris with the center stack and it is not an issue. It is not change for the better or worse really. I prefer the normal straight ahead left stack view slightly for everday use, but the center stack is nice when you are using a portable GPS and can put it right in front of you.

My hope is that all the lack of front seat comfort has been improved with the new Prius as they claim. The thigh area was uncomfortable in the present Prius (for bigger guys) with the wide console. The lack of seat height adjustment did not help as was the inadequate seat travel to the rear for those with long legs. For me, the Yaris was far more comfortable for my legs and knees than the Prius.

I have not sat in an Insight to test it's front seat comfort yet, but the reviews appear to greatly favor the front seat of it over the present generation Prius. The rear seat is a different story...
    I'm starting to look at a replacement for my wife's 03 Accord and until recently didn't consider the Prius. After seeing photos of and knowing about the features of the 2010 model, the car has become a serious option. I like everything so far except I'm not sure how I'll deal with the centered IP (might end up giving my car to my wife and I'll be driving the Prius).

Well if it's anything like the 2004-2009 Prius' then it should be ok. I've test driven the older models and they are ok as far as the speed. Most of the center consoles are crap and are deal breakers for me. MINI is the worst with that huge pie platter to the right that does nothing but show you a speed that you can't read without taking your eyes off the road.
    But as others have suggested, test drive it first.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Prices are out.

Excellent news.

Level I $21k
    Level II $22k
    Level III $23k

plus $750 shipping

Very nice price levels.

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/trims-prices.html
    Very nice price levels.

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/trims-prices.html

That link is for the 2009 Prius. I haven't seen any real specs on the 2010 Prius such as option packages and trim levels yet.
    http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20090421/LA0208421042009-1.html

Must have posted the wrong link.

Yes that link works! Thanks, yes that link pretty much defines out everything about the 2010 Prius. Looks like I will get a Pkg 2. I like the LED lights but not worth buying a pkg 5 for that.
    I just hope the dealers don't option them to the limit. As I don't want all those fancy options.
    Thanks again.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    Wow, $22k for a Pkg 2 is quite reasonable given the improvements. That seems less expensive to me than a comparably-equipped 2004 Prius, since features like SABs and VSC were optional on that car.
    Model / Pkg 2010 vs 2009 ( after $1000 rebate )

1221 .... $21750 vs Not Avail

1223 .... $22750 vs $23300 Pkg 2

1225 .... $23750 vs $24500 Pkg 4
    1225 .... $25500 vs $25200 Pkg 5 ( w/ Navi )
    1225 .... $27300 vs Not Avail ( Navi + SR )

1227 .... $26500 vs Not Avail ( Leather No Navi )
    1227 .... $28300 vs $26300 Pkg 6 ( Leather w/ Navi )
    1227 .... $30100 vs Not Avail ( Leather, Navi, SR )

1229 .... $28000 vs Not Avail
    1229 .... $19800 vs Not Avail
    1229 .... $32500 vs Not Avail

The high volume lower priced models are ultra competitive vs the 2009s....not to mention the Insight II. Currency issues have mostly disappeared it seems.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I'm struggling with this decision. I like the idea of the new 2010 model so the 2009 is not on my list even though it's about $3K off MSRP right now. My dilema is that the 09 TCH is about $5K off and that would make it cheaper than the 2010 Prius, both being comparably equiped. I'm not really worried about the money, but I'm always wanting the best deal.

The TCH was a very roomy economy car. I think I would miss power seats as me and the Missus are different heights. The 35 mpg vrs 50 mpg is not really that big of a deal financially, even if gas goes to $3.50.

But I know I like having the latest technology and like the "smugness" of obtaining 50mpg. The Ford Fusion would give me the technology. Possibly reliable, but I KNOW the TCH is reliable from past experience.

My dealer is trying to line up a 2010 Prius V like I spec'ed as their first delivery

Decisions, decisions.....
    I keep mine a bit longer than you do, Joe so the '10s are not in my view at all. I'm at 111,000 miles now and I'm expecting to go to 250K+ after 8 yrs or so. I 'might' catch the last MY of the Gen 3's in '13 or '14. That sounds weird.
    I'm changing little by little but so far 70,000 is my top limit for keeping a car. The TCH is the first new car in 39 years of driving that I had kept past 50,000. I really didn't have a reason to trade other than I was tired of the light gray interior. (I've traded for lesser reasons :blush: )
    Bob, do you know if the 2010 will have the bladder? Is this really anything to be concerned about? One of the things my wife misses about the TCH is the tank range. If the Prius, even at 50 mpg only goes 300 miles because you can't fill it full, then that would be a real negative for us.
    No it will not have the bladder. That gladly will be retired with the last of the 09s, That was one of the first questions asked to the Chief Engineer at the NAIAS in January.

I consistently run mine down to the last 'bar'. At that time there is a 2 gal reserve. So at that time I fill up with 9.5 gal or so. That means on the trip meter that I've gone between 400 miles ( winter ) and 525 miles ( summer ). 47.9 lifetime average in 111,000 mi. You know the terrain and the route I take.
    Thanks, A $20 fill up sounds nice :)
    Yep it runs from ~$16.75 to $19.00 depending. For that I get about 450 miles of driving on average.
  • dkrellerdkreller Posts: 5
    I couldn't agree more. That salesman is an outright liar. A 'rattletrap'? WTF? My 07 Prius is the quietest, smoothest driving car I've ever owned. I haven't owned any particularly expensive/luxurious cars, and there are probably even smoother driving cars on the road, but the Prius is great. My car just went 503 miles on a tank of gas. It is running better now that I have found a reliable source of NO ethanol gas. Who are you going to listen to ? One ridiculous salesman who will probably say anything to make a buck, or the hundreds of favorable reviews on the Prius? I just hit 30 k miles and not a single problem. Even people with older Prii haven't been reporting serious problems after hundreds of thousands of miles.
This discussion has been closed.