Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I took a look at the prices and could not justify the Prius..loaded nearly $35 K!
    Maybe in California will you have to pay 35K for a loaded Prius but that would be well over MSRP. Besides, why complain about the Prius being overpriced when you're obviously looking at a car with options not even available on any other car for less than $50K. Price a Prius with the options you want and compare it to the Honda or whatever interests you. The fact that it offers some high dollar options is not a bad thing. You simply don't buy one with those options if they don't interest you.

My 2010 will be a shade over $30K with leather, Nav and the 17" wheels and LED lights. If I thought that was over priced I could easily forgo the wheels, LED's and NAV and get the car considerably cheaper. The options make this a more widely accepted car to the masses. Not everyone wants a stripped Insight.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    The Prius starts at $22,750 and has way more features than the Insight. The base Insight does not even have stability control.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    May-2009 Hybrid sales,
    Ford - 3,906
    Honda - 4,857
    Toyota - 14,846
    GM - 1,739

Total - 25,348

I guess its the highest in this year. Probably Hybrids captured 2.8 % share.

For Ford, this is the record, seems Fusion/Milan Hybrids have sold very well.
    Also Ford retained #2 share in US market pushing Toyota to #3 place.

For Toyota, Prius was launched only on May-18 and so its only a partial month, expect more stronger sales in June.

Honda sold 2,780 Insights, not as much as expected, although in Japan, they are selling well. As the gas prices increase, its sales may increase.

Nissan's hybrid sales are yet to be published.

Conclusion : Ford learnt to make and sell Hybrids.
    Insight is not a match for Prius in USA, but its a match in Japan.
    Curious to see same report for June since that is when most of the new 2010 prii will hit our shores.
  • gasoutgasout Posts: 1
    We traded 2005 Prius for 2010 Insight. We loved the Pruis but Insight is a great car. It gets over 53 MPG (mostly highway) very consistently. I don’t know why the EPA rating is so low.

We were getting close to 50 MPG with 2005 Prius and I can’t wait to get the new Prius for my wife so we can compare the two over the same route. The Toyota dealer said mid July but I hope it is sooner.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Can the new Prius carry 4 male passengers of average size and 4 golf bags? Thanks.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Car and Driver also didn't rate it very well in their 600 mile loop. Don't have the mag here now but 36 comes to mind and 42 for the 2010 Prius which was the same as the third car they also tested along with the Honda and Toyota. What was the 3rd car. A 12 year old Chevy Metro with over 100+K on it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,692
    If two of the gents know each other pretty well, and depending on their girth, it might be possible to fold the "40" side of the back seat down, put one bag there, and the other 3 under the hatch. Also depends on how far away the golf course is. Next time you go golfing, take your 3 friends and your bags to your local Toyota dealer and do the "proof of concept." :)
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Thanks all for the replies. When it is my turn to drive my golfing buddies currently ride in a Cadillac DTS which if you believe the advertisement for roominess showing the 4 basketball players and their 4 bags, is going to be a tad more comfortable than a Prius. The feedback I get on the Prius might not be too positive.

Seriously I've been in the old Prius and they are fairly roomy. The luggage space on the 2010 is supposed to be about 21+ cu ft which is 2 cu ft bigger than my existing trunk.
    Hatchback luggage space is measured to the top of the car (above the rear seat back). In otherwords if you drew a vertical line from the top of the rear seat to the roof of the car then everything behind that is cargo space.

Still it may be roomy enough for 4 if you pile them high. Worth a try.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Probably not.

It depends on the lengths of the drivers ( not the human ones ). I can fit both my clubs and my wife's clubs in my 2005 Prius and I could prolly stack two other sets on top of those but I think I'd have to take the drivers out of the bags and stow them separately. 4 guys inside for a normal trip to the course is no problem whatsoever.

Some stories from the last 5 yrs...
    I've had in my 2005 Prius
    ..a 43" Flatscreen from Best Buy
    ..my clubs
    ..briefcase and two pizzas
    ..my wife and I
    A friend has had inside his 2004 Prius
    .. twelve 6' folding tables and
    .. 40 folding chairs
    A friend has had in his 2006 Prius
    .. 3 guys ( 2 + him )
    .. SIX surfboards
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    Some stories from the last 5 yrs...
    I've had in my 2005 Prius
    ..a 43" Flatscreen from Best Buy
    ..my clubs
    ..briefcase and two pizzas
    ..my wife and I
    A friend has had inside his 2004 Prius
    .. twelve 6' folding tables and
    .. 40 folding chairs
    A friend has had in his 2006 Prius
    .. 3 guys ( 2 + him )
    .. SIX surfboards

What is this? A new take at how many people can we stuff into a phonebooth or a Volkswagen? :D
  • Of course you could take up tennis and solve the equipment storage problem and save $$$ on so many things ...course fees, clubs, and also alot more exercize. Just a thought. Then again miniture golf is less strenuous. Seriously though, I know someone who bought a very small one wheel trailer to carry his clubs and odds & ends. Worked very well. ;)
  • halwickhalwick Posts: 45
    Hmm......What about installing seat covers? Would this be considered "messing" with the factory seat and hence possible voiding the warranty?
  • vitdoc1vitdoc1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Touring version Prius and was planning to get a 2010. When I delved into the details it became apparent that if one wants the model 5 the solar cooling is not available. I do not know why, nor does the dealer. To get the solar you have to go to the model 4 which looses the high intensity headlights and the larger wheels.
    Odd marketing.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I forget which review it was, but I believe it has something to do with the total weight of the vehicle. The increased weight of the solar roof with the additional options in model V would affect the desired MPG.
    Sometimes MPG can be a matter of what options I want. To me it may be worth losing 1 or 2 MPG in order to gain the car I want. Thats why most cars have at least 1 more option for engines.
    From the manufacturer's pov it needs to be able to meet the EPA number with all the models in a vehicle line. If adding the 17" wheels and sunroof and all the other high-tech features of the Prius V increased the weight such that that model failed to meet the fuel standard then something had to go. It was the Solar Sunroof.
    For some reason I just don't think the Prius won't meet the EPA requirements no matter what they add to the vehicle. I bet by next year if not sooner it will be added.
  • knopflerknopfler Posts: 2
    They are really nuts with the marketing on this one. For some reason they decided that they will only offer literally 10 possible configurations total- and bolt on things like the upgraded radio or leather upholstery count as a configuration. I guess in the short term people will buy them anyway, but this reeks of "any color as long as it's black" general disdain for the customer. I realize that reducing the number of build configurations is efficient, but changing the wheels out isn't like cutting a roof or dropping a different engine in.

For example, in the US, the sunroof is only available bundled with remote air conditioning and solar panels that run vents to cool your car while it is parked. Nice if you live in Phoenix, but a waste of $3600 if you live in a tiny temperate market like NYC or Chicago.
    For the last 3 yrs there have been only 4 combinations offered in most of the country, now there's 10 combinations. Your first statement though completely misunderstands the Toyota/Honda production/sales method.

It is the opposite of the D3 method of offering literatlly 10's of thousands of variations. I believe that Fords had over 100,000 ways to order a Mustang. Toyota and Honda try to limit the choices to less than 100 ( colors x option packages ). The options you mention like wheels and standalone sunroofs are all available aftermarket. This gives the buyers complete freedom to build what they want while keeping the manufacturers' costs as low as possible. It is a different way of doing business and one that works. The customers don't seem to mind apparently by the rate of growth of the two brands.

However nothing is carved in stone. If there is demand for say the solar sunroof as a stand alone option without the navigation then it will be offered that way sometime in the next year or two. These initial shipments are the result of pre-launch decisions on orders that had to be given to the factory last January, well before the first vehicle was ever purchased or driven.

Eventually the market will speak its mind and the 5 or 6 most popular packages will be decided.
    Here is how the EPA works.

To keep car makers honest they must keep all cars within 500lbs (approx number - can look it up) so that the numbers are valid. This keeps them from making a super light stripped down version that gets great mpg and then selling most of the cars with hundreds of pounds of mpg robbing options.

Sure the Prius wouuld still do well, but if it weighs too much they have to rate the heavier cars seperately.
    In this day and age of computers that shouldn't be a problem. If they can do it for different engines than they could do it for heavier options. What is required is for people to complain to their dealers and emails to Toyota.
  • bob104bob104 Posts: 94
    Sorry for shouting but this could be important. If you buy Prius V you'll be getting 215/45/17 Turanza tires. If you get any other Priuses you'll be getting 195/65/15 Ecopia tires.
    Here are the differences:1) You'll get at about 3 mpg less with the V, based on the difference CR found in Prius/Prius Touring. 2) The Turanzas will last about 30k miles (my own experience with an 08 Touring). The Ecopias are warranted for 50k in some sizes, but not in in the 195/65/15 case. 3) Were you to replace the tires today, buying from tirerack.com, you'd pay $340 a set for the Ecopias and $600 for the Turanzas.
    Here are my estimates for the added cost of the V over 30k: gasoline 38 gallons@$4/gallon=$150. Assume the tire wear is the same but I'd think the Ecopias do better than Turanza. Cost to replace tires is currently $260 more for the V. Total added cost over 30k miles is about $400. Plus the V costs about $1,000 more than a non-V and you'll not get much if any of that back when the car depreciates, I think.
    CR found the Touring (the V) worth the difference in price for the safety and handling, but I don't think they thought the tire issue through. Also, maybe Bridgestone will make Ecopias in the 215/45/17 size by the time you need to replace your original tires.
    Happy Trails what ever you choose. I'm happy with my 08Touring and luckily Ecopia just became available for them. Bridgestone claims they are made for high mpg results. We'll soon see.
    Almost every new car I have bought I go straight from the dealers to Discount Tire who gives me 1/2 the price of what the tires are worth toward any new tires I want. To me this is better than suffering through those cheap factory tires that come on most cars.
  • bob104bob104 Posts: 94
    That's a good idea if the car comes with real cheapos, of which there are many, but the Turanzas that come on the V are good tires, grippy, stable and pretty quiet, though lasting only 30k, so I definitely would not trade those out.
    I don't know about the Ecopias that come on the rest of the trims. No one knows about them as they are very new. The low-rolling-resistance claim is promising for good mpg, the price is good at under $100 and the warranty of 50k in some sizes is good. So I also would not trade these out unless I had better info about their noisiness, grip and stability.
    If you buy Prius V you'll be getting 215/45/17 Turanza tires. If you get any other Priuses you'll be getting 195/65/15 Ecopia tires.

Wile those are possibilities, the people that have received their 2010 Prii have several other tires installed from the factory. So far these are listed as:

tcrawley (NC) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    mvmooney (CA) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    i3akachan (CA) Prius II - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    Steve Cebu (NH) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    psu77 - (FL) - Prius II - Yokohama Avid S33
    Zaxcom (NC) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    msirach (IL) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    s017mag (VA) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    oz132 (IN) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    dbacksfan (AZ) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    dmhorn28 (AL) - Prius III - Yokohama Avid S33
    alfon (OR) - Prius III Nav - Yokohama Avid S33
    Musigny (OR) - Prius III Nav - Yokohama Avid S33
    dc202 (WA) - Prius III Nav - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    Jay C - Prius IV - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    buzzydog (WA) - Prius IV - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    barbaram (NJ) - Prius IV - Yokohama Avid S33
    PriusCrazy (NC) - Prius IV - 15" Yokohama Avid S33
    reesch (IL) - Prius IV Nav - Yokohama Avid S33
    Winebuff (OR) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    jbelectron (OR) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    Teknolust (OR) - Prius IV NV - Yokohama Avid S33
    NoMoShocks (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    REDWIND88 (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    DaveinOlyWa (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33D
    mosttosyrk (WA) - Prius IV Solar - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20
    Gadgetdad (CA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    rcsting (CA) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    HTMLSpinnr (AZ) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33D
    Danny (NC) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    FireEngineer (IL) - Prius IV Solar - Yokohama Avid S33
    Vincent (FL) - Prius V Nav - Bridgestone Turanza EL400
    stream (CA) - Prius V Nav - Toyo Proxes A20
    eglmainz (IL) - Prius V Nav - Toyo Proxes A20
    basspro (IL) - Prius V Nav - Michelin HX MXM4
    Husker4theSpurs (NE) - Prius V Nav - Toyo Proxes A20
    LTRAIN (WA) - Prius V Nav - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    ggood (TX) - Prius V AT - Toyo Proxes A20
    greenbirder (TX) - Prius V AT - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    a priori (IL) - Prius V AT - Toyo Proxes A20
    LaMesaGuy (CA) - Prius V AT - Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02
    exbauer (IL) - Prius V AT - Bridgestone Turanza EL400
    Paradox (NY) - Prius V AT - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Seems factories in Japan are working round the clock to make more units.
    I hope they will allocate more to USA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/business/global/13prius.html?_r=2&hpw
  • rogue9rogue9 Posts: 8
    My wife works for a southern california toyota dealership and had mentioned the other day, the first case of a customer having to pay out of pocket for a replacement battery for a 2001 prius. The cost of the battery was 5 thousand dollars
    which the customer declined the purchase, all previous cases of battery replacements in her dealerships history were covered under toyotas warranty. She didn't mention how many miles the customer had on the vehicle but, this is a true case of a real issue that exists with these vehicles.
    If I were in this customers shoes I perhaps would look in the junkyards for a battery
    replacement. Cant really think of a cheaper solution. Those junkyard owners probably know value of those batteries as well, but it still has to be a cheaper solution than shelling out 5 g's .
    I have a sequoia coming to the end of my lease and am seriously considering buying the new 2010 prius. I have a son who is almost 10 and was thinking if I purchase instead of lease that it would be a good first car for him when he is ready to start driving. But hearing about a 5000 dollar battery makes me think leasing is better than buying. Who wants to finally pay off a vehicle to find out you need to come up with 5 grand just to keep the think running. It is a serious issue to take into consideration when deciding to own or lease one of these.
    I think Toyota makes a superior product and excited about getting great gas mileage as well as emitting lower emissions. To buy or to lease is the real issue.