Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• rogue9rogue9 Posts: 8
    If you are leaning towards an 09 instead of a 2010 prius from a pure price standpoint, then how you intend to finance it, is an issue you should consider. The banks will consider the 09 a less desirable vehicle to extend a loan on, and thus the money factor on a lease for this vehicle will be worse than on the 2010 simply because the resell value hence the residual value of the vehicle will be much lower.
    If you intend to purchase it apposed to leasing, then your interest rate should be somewhat comparable on both vehicles depending on the lender.
    In essence you might be better off if you are considering a lease to look at the 2010 over the 2009 because the money factor is more favorable on a newer vehicle model year, especially when significant upgrades have been made to that newer model.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    If she works at a dealership she should know more details. In CA the batteries are good for what_ 10 years and 150,000 miles? If it's within that period and needs replaced and Toyota won't cover it then it would be noce to know the "rest of the story". If thgere was damage then perhaps the $5K was for more than just the battery?

Maybe the Gen 1 are more but other postings show the battery at less than $3.

Still the lease vrs purchase decision needs to factor in the miles you drive. If I only drove 10,000 miles a year I'm not sure the Prius would be my choice anyway.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    I inadvertently posted my question on the wrong thread. Sorry.

All you 2010 owners.

How does the calculated (miles driven/gallons) compare to the dash mpg display?
  • "My wife works for a southern california toyota dealership and had mentioned the other day, the first case of a customer having to pay out of pocket for a replacement battery for a 2001 prius. The cost of the battery was 5 thousand dollars. ..."
    Oh man, too bad:

The NHW11 model Prius, 2001-03, had the first generation prismatic battery that is not as strong as the NHW20, 2004-09 and ZVW30, 2010 battery:

Many of us think the best answer for the NHW11 is to rebuild the traction battery by using the more modern, NHW20 modules.

Regardless, one could pick up a worn out Prius with a bad battery and for an additional $3,000 and your own labor or pay Toyota and get a car that easily achieves 45-50 MPG. But of course, some drivers"> may prefer to pay at the pump.

Bob Wilson
  • rogue9rogue9 Posts: 8
    She is in finance dept. not parts or service so it is quite possible that the figure included some sort of disposal fee, installation fee, and any other fee they could think of. Nonetheless doesn't sound cost effective for a 8 year old car.
    The current batteries are covered for 10 years and or 150k miles but not too sure if the 01 model had the same coverage.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Sorry there's somthing fishy in that story. The full retail MSRP of a new replacement battery for a 2001 Prius is $2288!!! ... not $5000. Labor is extra but not $2300 extra.

Yes the smart thing to do is go to the body shop of any large Toyota store and look for a Prius of that Generation that has been totalled with front end damage and try to buy the battery from the insurance company that's paying off the claim.

Batteries ARE NOT $5000!!!
    There is so much written about new battery technology, and the fact that Toyota stayed with the older, proven technology. Do you suppose that at sometime in the future, the current battery can be replaced(upgraded) with a newer, high-tech battery? Maybe it is an invalid cormarison, but (as long as it fits) a driver has a tremendous number of options in which 12 v battery to uses. Granted, a newer battery would need to have all the correct mounts and connections ..... my question pertains more to the electronic issue of a later swap.
    Allegedly the Li-Ion batteries were supposed to have been put into this new Gen3 Prius replacing the NiMH batteries. However a couple of years ago when it was discovered that the Li-Ions were not ready for prime time and may not be ready for full scale usage before 2011 the NiMHs were kept for the Gen3.

One of many benefits of the NiMHs is their very low cost and unquestioned durability. In the auto business these two characteristics alone are enough to keep them around for a long long time. My own guess is that the NiMHs stay for at least another 10+ years as the 'base' technology for vehicles only getting 45-55 mpg.

When new battery technology arrives it will be blended into the mix but as a 'premium' offering with better capabilities .... at a premium price.

IMO we will soon see $15000 - $28000 'traditional' hybrids using NiMH technology and $30000+ hybrids using Li-Ion technology.
  • I've also heard that Toyota lowered the cost of the battery packs considerably. I am pretty certain I read that the MSRP for the 2004-2009 battery pack is $2200.00 As time goes on, I would expect that cost to even lower. If you look at eBay there is almost always a few people selling salvage battery packs from Prius'.
    I have a web site to monitor arriving ships. Does anyone know which sea port Toyota uses for west coast imports? .... specifically Utah.

I assume the vessels are special built Toyota ships. Does anyone know the names of the craft in Toyota's fleet?
    I am a soon to be Prius owner. I have seen no thread that identifies a potential problem ......that I have wondered about: With the excessive starting and stopping of the ICE ..... isn't there an abnormal amount of use (wear and tear) of the starter? It would seem that the starter, solonoid and gears would need to of exceptional quality to withstand the constant use. Any experiences with these components?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    The Prius is designed for frequent start/stops. It does not have a typical "starter" or gears.
  • What you're asking relates to conventional thinking and cars of the past The Hybrid Prius is unlike that thinking and design. With over 100K miles I am a believer in this car and it's high-tech design. It simply works like no other. This is a big part of the future of automobiles.
    There are multiple threads on this subject over a PC with people tracking 'their' vessel up and down the W Coast and E Coast. Toyota doesn't owns the ships but likely has longterm charters from NKK and other owners.l
    Actually the ICE has a very very very easy life with almost zero cold starts. It almost always runs at it's most optimal speed of about 1600 rpms or it simply idles along @ 950 rpms...even at 70 mph.

MG1 acts as the 'starter' motor getting the ICE up and spinning but not using any fuel. MG2 gets the vehicle rolling and uses its massive torque to overcome intertia.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I would think that it would not even need a traditional starter, since when the engine kicks in the car's inertia should be enough to turn the engine over. It's sort of lke push starting a car in which case the starter is never being used, or at a dead stop the battery is linked to the drive train that provides the inertia to "push-start" the engine.
    Thank you for all the information about the operation of starting the ICE ... fascinating. Now, the question arises, with the ICE running infrequently, and at such low RPM's, I wonder why the frequency of oil changes cannot safely be extended?

BTW, I heard from my dealer that mine will be here by the end of July.
  • msmortonmsmorton Posts: 4
    I rented a 2010 model V which I enjoyed. I read reviews that the 17" tires make the car handle a lot better than the 15". After looking at some tire sites it appears 16" may be an option. I just don't know if it is a option on the 17" or 15" set up. Just don't want to spend 30,000.00 for the V model.
    A week or so ago I found a web site that showed the Prius Allocation list. It listed dealers, location, vehicles, models, Nav, interior colors, and etc. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the site (I thought I did). I have searched, but cannot find the site again. Anyone have any leads where that might be? Thanks in advance.
  • Am ready to buy a new 2010 Prius. My first ever new car finally at age 62. We live in the Seattle area of WA and am looking for the best Toyota Dealership to work with. I want all the the options available.

What should I be expecting to pay?

What Dealership do you recommend I check with? I will pay cash for the vehicle. Currently through July Toyota will pay all sales tax in our area.

Any idea how long a wait I should expect?

Since it probaly have to be special ordered, how much of a down payment will I need to pay?

Thanks for any help you might have to offer. Chris
    Unfortunately it's not just the larger wheels and lower profile tires you get with the V. You get tighter steering as well. Additionally for the price you get the LED headlights and fog lights too. The IV with a set of aftermarket wheels and tires will be close to the cost of a V and you still don't have the other items.
    I may not be the most knowledgeable person to respond to your post.

First, congratulations on your upcoming purchase.

Now, "special ordering" a Toyota is not like a "special order" of a domestic. The factory in Japan makes various models with various "packages," then allocates them to various dealers. As I understand it, some combinations may be different in Seattle than in another area of the country. The dealer watches the allocation, and in some cases, if he sees what you want allocated to another dealer, makes an effort to swap one he is allocated with the other dealer. I have one on "order" and I put $500 down. The wait could be a number of weeks to months. I have waited for about 3 weeks thus far, and I have been led to believe an allocation has been received for one like I want ... and it should arrive by the end of July.

From my reading, that could change. The Prius is proving to be very popular world-wide. Today I read that Toyota may reduce the US allocation, because they are selling so many in Japan. The factory is working over-time, and unable to meet the demand.

My dealer and I agreed to MSRP. I do not like it, but that was the best I could do. Some report better deals; in some areas, the dealers are charging additional "fees" and/or surcharges, that personally, would not be acceptable. Unfortunately, I cannot suggest a Seattle dealer.

Good luck ... I hope that helps. If others want to comment or correct my statements, please feel free to do so.
  • There is no option for 16" tires BUT you can buy a lesser model than the V (saving thousands) then spend your own money on an aftermarket wheel/tire setup in a 16" configuration. Keep in mind that with the 17" wheels your mileage will be ~2 or 3 LESS per gallon than with the 15". This is what I've been reading and it certainly makes sense.
  • msmortonmsmorton Posts: 4
    I was hoping to buy lesser model and change to the 16" tires when they need to be replaced. Buying model V takes away from what your trying to save by buying a Prius. I'm going to rent model lll and see if I can feel a difference in normal driving between the two models. With careful driving on the V, I had a average of 57.5 MPG on the car read out. I would like to see what I get on model lll. The difference in tire replacement cost between !7" and 15" seems to double for the 17" tires.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Posts: 735
    I'm also looking at the 2010 Prius as a replacement, and like some of you will probably upgrade the tire/wheel combination.

IMO the 16" (good) or 17" (better) size creates the right visual proportion for the car, improving handling in the process. The 15" on the car I test-drove yesterday looked tiny, although it probably speaks best to the overall intent of the car.

Anyhow, there are still good size/type alternatives out there. To keep as much of the fuel economy benefits as possible, I'm thinking that low tire/wheel weight and tread pattern/rubber compound come into consideration.

Some tire products should fit the bill (prices are reasonable to boot).

This one, for example, is relatively light and has good life expectancy/probably yields good fuel economy (as indicated by the UTQG rating): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=Ecsta+AST&partnum=145HR7- - - - - EASTXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

This different brand of the same size will likely yield lower fuel economy and life expectancy, but should have better cornering/braking characteristics: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Sumitomo&model=HTR+Z+II&partnum=145W- - - - - R7HTRZ2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

As to rims, in general the offset, rim width, weight, and of course bolt pattern are the main factors to consider. Should be looking more closely at those as purchase time nears; I'll probably end up looking on eBay/Craigslist at 17" OEMs for other Toyota models as wheel specs tend to be similar across many model lines/manufacturer.
  • hihostevohihostevo Posts: 59
    Gasout........

If you don't mind, which option package did your 2005 Prius have and how much did they give you on trade-in.... or if you sold it privately how much did it sell for???

Sorry to be so nosy, but we currently have an '08 Prius and have found a very low mileage '05 with Nav that I am considering buying. (the '10 is just a tad pricey at the moment)

Thank you,

Steve
    Buying the PriusV also gives you the LED headlights and fog lights as well as a much tighter steering radius. If you want aftermarket wheels I'd consider the V and then put 16" on it and sell the 17" OEM's. There are a lot of people looking for them.
  • Thanks you for the information. Any details I have when I go to a dealer will be helpful. I don't look forward to the part of actually going to any dealership to order the vehicle. I don;t like the hardsell, pushy car salesmen that a lot of car dealerships use. I just want to go in order what I want with as little hassle as possible. Again, thanks for your reply. Christine
    This won't be as much of a hassle since as a "normal" purchase because you're probably going to pay close to MSRP anyway. Not a lot to dicker about unless they try to sell add-ons. Just say No if you're not interested in anything extra.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    That's really interesting... can I ask where you got that information? I always thought the ICE would work much, much higher at highway speeds... much more than 950 RPM.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.