Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Interesting.... Fitzmall last week lost both its Chrysler franchises and then it lost its GM franchise the next day.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I heard on the news that the GM dealers that lost out only sold about 30+ cars a year. If that is correct I'd get rid of them too. GM's paperwork on that dealer must have cost them more money than the dealer made GM.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Interesting.... Fitzmall last week lost both its Chrysler franchises and then it lost its GM franchise the next day.

Wow, I would have thought they sold enough GM's to stay in the family. Their pricing is sure a lot better than the Cadillac dealers around here (who won't even talk with me half the time). I have noticed lately though their selection of GM is low and they don't seem to be adding to it. Maybe I'll still be able to pick up a CTS cheap ;o) The last three cars I bought I started at the cadillac dealer, usually get ticked off and come to my senses and buy a Toyota.

I've used their pricing as a negotiating tool for my dealer, although he knows I want to deal locally. I've told him I want him to stay in business but he does have to deal with me fairly. He's only got about half the normal level of Toyota's right now and they are moving a lot of used cars currently.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    As far as price, my father has a 2010 Prius II on order for $500 below sticker plus tax tags and license. No other charges.

With a recession, low gas prices, and the Insight, it is a great time to get a new Prius.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    Hello All,

I know we are all keenly interested in the arrival of the 2010's. Anyone with information, please share same with us all.
    They are already being delivered on the W Coast and being driven. The rest of the country is waiting, waiting, waiting.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    All the comments about having to replace the traction batteries are nonsense, pure bull.
  • 107main107main Posts: 33
    I took a look at the prices and could not justify the Prius..loaded nearly $35 K!
    I have driven several of the 2nd generation ones and did not like them near as well as a Honda Civic Hybrid and I have driven many of them doing dealer transfers. Prius does get a little bit better mileage. I wonder did Toyota get rid of the dumb bladder type fuel tank on the new 2010 ones? That was just one deal breaker for me. Having been interested in Hybrids, I bought a 2005 Civic Hybrid after trying both and have never been disappointed in my buy, absolutely no trouble in 40k. Soon be time to get a new car and am looking, but not in a hurry, I still have 3 years left on my never used extended warranty. I am NOT one of the misinformed tree huggers like Algore who will lie for money..you know cap and trade, the sky is falling clown who just happens to stand to get rich with his ponzi scheme(carbon credits). I do like not buying gas though, even if I do spend a little more for my vehicle (was the case with Honda) Not the case with the more expensive Prius..too much more money there!
  • 107main107main Posts: 33
    Dont know about Prius, but battery replacement on Civic Hybrid is nearly non existant so far. My son worked at a Honda dealership and only mabye one or two were ever replaced by that dealership, and in most cases, Honda will foot the bill. Batteries were a non issue at Honda.
    Something's wrong with that data. There is no $35K Prius. The top model Prius V with all the high tech toys is ~$33000.

The new Prius II starts at $22750.

Yes the bladder is gone on the 2010s
    I took a look at the prices and could not justify the Prius..loaded nearly $35 K!
    Maybe in California will you have to pay 35K for a loaded Prius but that would be well over MSRP. Besides, why complain about the Prius being overpriced when you're obviously looking at a car with options not even available on any other car for less than $50K. Price a Prius with the options you want and compare it to the Honda or whatever interests you. The fact that it offers some high dollar options is not a bad thing. You simply don't buy one with those options if they don't interest you.

My 2010 will be a shade over $30K with leather, Nav and the 17" wheels and LED lights. If I thought that was over priced I could easily forgo the wheels, LED's and NAV and get the car considerably cheaper. The options make this a more widely accepted car to the masses. Not everyone wants a stripped Insight.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    The Prius starts at $22,750 and has way more features than the Insight. The base Insight does not even have stability control.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    May-2009 Hybrid sales,
    Ford - 3,906
    Honda - 4,857
    Toyota - 14,846
    GM - 1,739

Total - 25,348

I guess its the highest in this year. Probably Hybrids captured 2.8 % share.

For Ford, this is the record, seems Fusion/Milan Hybrids have sold very well.
    Also Ford retained #2 share in US market pushing Toyota to #3 place.

For Toyota, Prius was launched only on May-18 and so its only a partial month, expect more stronger sales in June.

Honda sold 2,780 Insights, not as much as expected, although in Japan, they are selling well. As the gas prices increase, its sales may increase.

Nissan's hybrid sales are yet to be published.

Conclusion : Ford learnt to make and sell Hybrids.
    Insight is not a match for Prius in USA, but its a match in Japan.
    Curious to see same report for June since that is when most of the new 2010 prii will hit our shores.
  • gasoutgasout Posts: 1
    We traded 2005 Prius for 2010 Insight. We loved the Pruis but Insight is a great car. It gets over 53 MPG (mostly highway) very consistently. I don’t know why the EPA rating is so low.

We were getting close to 50 MPG with 2005 Prius and I can’t wait to get the new Prius for my wife so we can compare the two over the same route. The Toyota dealer said mid July but I hope it is sooner.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Can the new Prius carry 4 male passengers of average size and 4 golf bags? Thanks.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Car and Driver also didn't rate it very well in their 600 mile loop. Don't have the mag here now but 36 comes to mind and 42 for the 2010 Prius which was the same as the third car they also tested along with the Honda and Toyota. What was the 3rd car. A 12 year old Chevy Metro with over 100+K on it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    If two of the gents know each other pretty well, and depending on their girth, it might be possible to fold the "40" side of the back seat down, put one bag there, and the other 3 under the hatch. Also depends on how far away the golf course is. Next time you go golfing, take your 3 friends and your bags to your local Toyota dealer and do the "proof of concept." :)
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Thanks all for the replies. When it is my turn to drive my golfing buddies currently ride in a Cadillac DTS which if you believe the advertisement for roominess showing the 4 basketball players and their 4 bags, is going to be a tad more comfortable than a Prius. The feedback I get on the Prius might not be too positive.

Seriously I've been in the old Prius and they are fairly roomy. The luggage space on the 2010 is supposed to be about 21+ cu ft which is 2 cu ft bigger than my existing trunk.