Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Corolla

BurgundiaBurgundia Member Posts: 8
Toyota has announced that their 2010 Corollas will start arriving at dealerships in late February.

According to this press release, VSC and TC are now standard on the 2010. Also, the MSRP will be the same for 2010 as for 2009.

What do you think this will do to the 2009 prices? Will dealers just extend the current cash rebate & low rate financing, or will the discounts get even steeper?

Comments

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Is the addition of VSC the only improvement over the 2009? I hope it's not true! Toyota is not blind. Didn't they read all the complaints and suggested improvements here on edmunds?

If they did not read it yet, let me male a short list of suggested improvements from various sites:

- Move the clock to the radio area (add date/day of week if possible);
    - Improve steering feel;
    - Illuminated controls for power windows, door locks & mirrors;
    - 8 way power driver’s seat w/lumbar support;
    - Armrest position needs improvement, as per many;
    - Radio backlighting should be blue to match other controls (XLE);
    - Make the LCD bigger and higher resolution so it contains more info at a time (see Elantra). Every cheap gadget these days have high-res LCD’s with a wealth of information! and get rid of the pixelated fonts;
    - Fog lamps on XLE;
    - Heated outside mirrors standard on the XLE (Elantra offer them standard on all models);
    - No intrusive hinges on trunk;
    - Offer heat elements for the front wipers like on the Sienna;
    - Make Bluetooth available on all models, not just on the navigation models - after all we all use cell phones these days (see Nissan Versa) - Import all contacts & photo ID automatically, & they should appear even when in Drive.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Moving the clock is the only BIG issue, IMHO, but they won't do that until MAYBE the 2011, when they normally make bigger changes. 2010 is only the second year of the 10th generation Corolla, and Toyota normally does not make any larger changes until the third year. I've seen all the other complaints that you listed above on Carspace and other forums, but the big one is the clock.

I think making VSC standard is the only thing that is really important to most, and Toyota knows it. The rest is pretty nit-picky, especially for cars in this size/price range.

Besides, in this economy, no automaker is going to make any big changes in the second year. Also, the Corolla's sales for last year were VERY strong, so Toyota won't change much.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How much are you willing to pay for a Corolla with features that you listed? Because I think you are looking pretty far north of $20k, before adding things like leather and nav. Some of these changes wouldn't cost much, but some like 8-way power seat would. FYI, few economy cars have power seats. I can only think of a couple that offer them--the Jetta (only on higher trims) and I think the 2010 Mazda3s will offer it.

Personally I applaud Toyota for making VSC and TC standard on every Corolla for 2010, ahead of the Federal mandate for ESC, without raising the price. I'd like to see other changes too, including higher-quality materials in the interior, but standard VSC is arguably the best change Toyota could have made as it improves the safety of the car significantly.
  • USA2007USA2007 Member Posts: 10
    Maybe the 2nd generation of the power steering will get a tweak. The day of only using one hand are gone with the 2009 Corolla. It's just a different animal.
  • frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
    2009 S type are starting under $15k now so there is a good chunk of change less now if you want to avoid the VSC and TC and save a couple thousand.
  • USA2007USA2007 Member Posts: 10
    I saw a few folks are now pleased and can drive like normal again by removing the Electric power steering relay and putting in a switch in extra unused spot near driver.. It would not veer a :blush: nd you can drive it as if it was intended to be.

I drove on with it's "disconnected" and it was awesome! I could even steer it just fine in the city.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Glad to hear that you are now satisfied with your sterring. However, by disabling the EPS I would strongly dissagree with your statement that you are "now driving it as Toyota intended it to be". They would have never introduced EPS if that's "how they intended it to be".
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Bluetooth comes with the JBL stereo. You can't even get factory bluetooth with nav.
    Adding clock to the radio or somewhere else with a dedicated display needs to be done. Some of the things you listed like 8 way power seats are not going to happen, but the clock is a simple fix they should not ignore. It is outrageous where it is now.
    The location of the clock did play in a role in my decision to not buy the 2009 Corolla.

I looked in my area on the Toyota site today and they aren't even making XLEs for California right now. You can't build one with the online configurator.
    Bluetooth is now a lame dealer/port add-on "BLU Logic" instead of factory integrated.
    Wow! How can you possibly say the days of driving the Corolla with one hand are over? If you need two hands to drive this car there must be something wrong with your good hand. I can drive my XLE with one finger at 60mph. on the highway and still control it just fine, let alone one hand.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • outbackj1outbackj1 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone out there know if a cargo net can be installed in the new Corolla? I do not
    see any clips in the trunk to hold one. I have one someone gave me and would like to put it in.
    Thanks for any input!
  • coffeemlkcoffeemlk Member Posts: 20
    I am very close to buying a 2010 Corolla "S". I've been reading a lot of complaints about the 2009 EPS problems. Are the 2010's any better? Thanks
    Go for it, the new Corollas are wonderful. I suggest the JBL stereo upgrade, it's a mile ahead of the standard sound sysytem. Complaints, you,ve gotta be kidding! The 2009 EPS sterring has been a wonfderful new innovation on the 2009 Corollas. I just love it on my 2009 XLE. Haven't drove a 2010 yet but they're gonna have a long way to go to beat the steering on the 2009 ! The ease of this steering is just so relaxing to drive. Hope they didn't change it for the worse.
    Drove home with the new "S" today. The EPS is sensitive and I don't notice any correcting I had to do until I was up around 80mph, and I shouldn't be driving that fast anyway. If no one had mentioned the EPS concerns, I probably wouldn't have even given it a second thought. Thanks for your posts.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Yes - the clips come with the net and have to be installed. If you don't have clips, I don't know whether the parts counter sells them separately or not.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,went on a test drive yesterday in a 2010 corolla S 5sp manual.the car ran decently enough in the city but that's where it ended.after reading the reviews for the 09 corolla and reading about problems with the corolla being blown all over the highway by the slightest gust of wind i decided to see if the 2010 model does the same thing and if it was corrected from the 2009 model.sure enough,the same thing happened with my 2010 corolla test drive.you need 2 hands on the steering wheel at all times or else the car will wander all over the road almost like a shopping cart.i found this to be extremly annoying enough to not consider purchasing the corolla.infact,i found this to be dangerous.
  • dvd0060dvd0060 Member Posts: 8
    I have a question:
    The standard corolla LE has 15 in tires that are S rated, if I move to to T rated or H rated,but keep the exact same size tire, do you think that would effect my MP G's
    I just had a 09 Corolla for 10 days and drive all over Norther Cali. I never noticed that problem ever.
  • tallahasseetallahassee Member Posts: 10
    I live in Florida and I'm interested in buying a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE with cruise control and remote access entry. I have been quoted a price of $18,300 (OTD). No trade is involved. Is this a good deal or should I keep looking?
    Why not go to Edmund.com look up a new 2010 Corolla LE and price it out for yourself with you zip code and options you want. This way you could find out what the dealer is paying for this car and what other people in your area are also paying to get this car.
    Here is my quote on an 2010 LE in Massachusetts:
    MSRP of $17,950 and Your Final Price will be $15,156 plus $298 dealer fee and your sales tax; also 0% financing.
    Why a $295.00 dealer fee?
    they all do it. profit i guess.
    In order to get the final price of $15,156, were there any rebates figured in at the time you purchased your car? According to several dealers in N. FL and S. GA that I've talked to in the last 48 hours, nothing but the low cost financing is presently being offered in this area of the country. In short, the price I was offered breaks down to about $16,800 for the 2010 LE with the cruise control and remote entry package---plus tax, title and tag. With the TTT added on, the best OTD price I got was $18,300. After looking at Edmunds TMV for my zip code, it appears that's a fair price. However, because offers seem to change daily, if anyone that reads this message has recently gotten a better deal, I'd appreciate the details.
    Thanks for your help.
    There was a 500 dollar rebate figured into the price which expired on 8-3-09. I am also from Florida, but I buy my cars in New England when I am here visiting. I hate all the add-on fees that the Florida dealers invent, so I take my business elsewhere.
    Go to www.Bochtoyotasouth.com and request a quote on one of their online inventory, you'll be surprised. I bought my 2010 "S" loaded for $16,100 plus tax & tag, had a sticker of $18,705.
    I emailed the sales department and they sent me a quote which was much less than the dealers cost. It just goes to show the dealers cost figures are bullsh*t. I think Fl, Ga, and SC are in some Southern dealers network and it seems they add on quite a bit.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    The southeast region down here are total thieves when it comes to their add-ons and dealer fees...hate buying from them and all the other foreign name plates down here in South Florida. Really hate the whole car buying game actually but every so often it must be done. Dealers, at least most, are right down there with lawyers in the lack of ethics in dealings with the public. 90% of the American population probably feels the same way. Guess it's that lack of trust that makes car buying so distasteful to most. And it doesn't have to be and the internet has helped level the field to a degree but all the nonsense just needs to stop. Funny how with this C4C program and dealers upping their prices to get the "free government handout"...just leaves a bad taste and trust me, people won't forget the games these stealerships are playing. Bottom line folks..."what goes around...comes around"! So enjoy the trough now...it's gonna be a long long winter!

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Folks, you'll find more conversation and more knowledgeable members (helpful members and dealers alike) in the Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experiences discussion.

But let's try to avoid the name-calling as we pursue the various charges dealers impose, please. It's not necessary and not conducive to a civil conversation.

By the way, I find that it's always best to negotiate on an out the door price. Figure out what you want to pay for the car, make your offer and make it clear that you mean out the door (tax and tags will have to be added to that, but you make it clear that nothing else is to be added), and then let the dealer allocate the money to whatever category he chooses. As long as you are happy with what you are paying to get the car off the lot, who cares if this amount or that amount goes to some fee or the other.

Just a thought. You'll get more and better advice in the discussion I linked.

As for the C4C program, we have a discussion that will be helpful with that program as well. Find out all you need to know and more here at this link: Cash for Clunkers - Does it Work for You?

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Sometimes a few negative comments can have a "positive" effect in the decision making process, especially about certain dealer practices. Thought I was trying to be "helpful" but since I'm not a "knowledgeable" poster, I think I'll refrain in the future. It's just as much fun to lurk in the different discussions so I can learn from the "smarter" members in Edmunds.com. It's always been a true passion of mine...the auto industry... so keep up the great discussions...The Sandman will be lurking in the hallways!
    Cheers ;) .

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Negative comments about the subject of the discussion made constructively are always welcome, of course. :)

Personally directed comments such as name-calling and insults do interfere with the course of a productive conversation and should be avoided.

You are welcome to post here and in any discussion, of course. "Knowledge" is not a requirement to ask questions or express opinions in a constructive manner! :shades:
    Keep looking....that's waaaaay too high!!
    Thanks for the advice. Others have told me the same thing. Since I don't need to find a car right away, I'm now going to take my time and get some additional quotes. As was mentioned earlier, once the C4C is history, maybe there'll be some new cash rebates offered. Regardless, I will end up with a good deal.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Ok, LE with standard stock radio, nothing fancy.

Periodically I get a "beeping" tone (3 times in fairly rapid succession) which comes over the radio. Thought it was the station, but it does it on various AM stations at random times. Anyone experience a similar event?
  • fist52fist52 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem. Small lights - not head lights, not parking lights are always on day and nite. I do not know if there is a special switch to turn them off or if I have an electrical problem that is keeping these lights on - I do not know if these small lights next to the head lights are called fog lights or not but why are they always on? Help.
    Thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    They are called "daytime running lights" or DRLs and they are on all the time for safety reasons, so others can see you better. Your owner's manual should explain how to turn them off, if that is possible (it is on some cars, not on others).
    Daytime running lights. I don't think you can turn them off on the newer Corollas' and why would you want to? They have been documented to improve safety dramatically by reducing daytime automobile accidents by 10%.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    On my 2004 Subaru Forester is was just a plug took 15 seconds to unplug. I looked on my Corolla but could not find the relay switch. Yes its good for safety but i also would like the option and control my own car and not have big brother decide for me.

If you find a solution let me know

Thanks
    MNF
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    After reading your post I had to search again here is a solution. The only issue i have is it will also disable your auto headlights off also.

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Toyota

MNF
  • zin22zin22 Member Posts: 15
    This price just does not sound real but I believe you I just mean to say that @ $15,156 that puts you @ 13% below invoice WITHOUT DEDUCTING YOUR $500.00 REBATE. Normal Toyota invoice is 8%-ish. My question is why is nobody else selling 2010's for that same price? Is your deal on a 2009 perhaps? I have a friend that runs a Toyota dealership and on a $18190 "S" I can get it for $16,900 which he says is invoice. I think if you charge cost on the options on this vehicle and not retail price you would be @ $16,740 but pretty close to sticker invoice anyway. I have no idea what real invoice is but I have seen people figuring it out but it still ends up to about 8%.
    I got quotes on two models, the LE and S, before deciding on the "S"

The LE had a Toyota msrp sticker of $17,950 and I could buy it for $15,156 plus $298 dealer fee and tax, title and tags. This price included the $500 rebate which expired 8/3/09.

The "S" that I bought had a Toyota msrp sticker of $18,705 and I bought it for $16,100 plus the $298 dealer fee, plus tax,title,tags and I got 0% financing for 36 months. The $500 rebate went to the dealer.

I realize that it is below what Edmunds says dealer cost is, but that's the deal I got at Boch Toyota South in S.Attleboro, Mass. I did not have to haggle, they gave me these prices over the internet.
    Okay so you paid approxiamately $16,900 plus tax and tags out the door for your "S". That's a fair price for both and not really such of an extreme of a great deal. Enjoy!
    $16,100 plus $298 = $16,398 plus TTL, not $16,900
    I think I got a good deal, that's all that counts!
    Hey !! You got a great deal congrats.... I wish I could get that deal ... No haggling or anything sweet. ENJOY!!
    No, $16,900.00. You said your $500.00 rebate went to the dealer so you paid that also!!!!!!! Like I said a fair deal for both of you.
    And why do you think you can't get a fair deal like this? Just ask!
    Why do you think I paid $500 for the rebate? Don't you get it? I paid $16398 period. The rebate went to the dealer not me. If it went to me then I would have paid $16898 and would have to wait for the $500 which would still net me $16398! Either way I paid $16398. Plus I got 0% for 36 mos. The car had a toyota msrp of $18705.
    I gave you the dealers name, all you have to do is go to their website, pick a car and email the internet sales and you can get a similar deal too. Their slogan is "our costs are less, so we can sell for less" and they can!
    Well I figured I would email your dealer and check it out and this is what they quoted anyway.

Thank you for your inquiry! I have one red left in stock with an MSRP of $18,439, your price on this will be $17,393. I can secure you an incoming unit with the MSRP of $17,950 as requested for a price of $17,059.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Inventory on these vehicles is extremely low in the region and they are moving fast. I can only honor this pricing for 48 hours due to the rising demand, however if you wish I can secure a vehicle and this price with a credit card deposit.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

nobody was giving me any deal you were lucky .
    I just looked at www.bochtoyotasouth.com and they have 34 corolla's in stock. You must have gone to the wrong site??
  • tipper1tipper1 Member Posts: 5
    My daughter just graduated college and we did all our homework and narrowed our search for a new car to the Hyundai Elantra SE and the Toyota Corolla LE. We used Edmunds and these forums which are a great help! We shopped last weekend and have been going back and forth with three dealers this week. First, we only found ONE Hyundai Elantra SE in all of Indianapolis and the dealer would not negotiate. We found only a FEW 2010 Toyota Corollas, SE model, no sunroof. We found our best deal at Andy Mohr Toyota in Avon, $18,200 sticker, $17,000 PLUS Tax, (7%) Title, Docs, etc. Out the door price of $18,420. She would qualify for the 0.0% financing and $1,000 new graduate rebate which would make it $17,420. The dealers here have VERY few in inventory and we have been to 6 Toyota Dealerships! VERY little negotiation and the %0.0 financing and student rebate end this Tuesday, September 8. Any ideas? Also, why is it so difficult dealing with a car salesperson? It is so juvenile the "tricks" they play? (also posted in price for new toyota corolla)