Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• trikev19trikev19 Posts: 18
    The 2010 Corolla is a new design. If there are any issues, Toyota will correct them. Recalls are very common and essential to maintain quality standards. Things go wrong with machines. The difference between manufacturers is the way they stand behind their product.

It is true that a newer model may be worth more down the road. I think you may make out better taking advantage of current incentives than worrying about what a Toyota is going to be worth years from now. You can bet that it will be worth more than most competitors.
  • You raise a very good point and I completely agree with you. I think Toyota is very concerned about the so called steering issues with the Corolla. It seems as though nothing came out of the "investigation" opened in February by NHTSA. Obviously there isn't a recall for this issue that owners complain about with the "wandering" of the vehicle while driving.

I still assume (if the 2011 Corolla comes out in Dec.) Toyota is taking time to make modifications in some way, whether it be mechanical or physical, or both. The 10th generation debuted in February 2008, so this is currently the 3rd model year for this generation. If Toyota is manufacturing this generation for 5 model years, it MAY be due for a refresh in 2011. I remember with the former generation, the Corolla was refreshed in spring 2004 as a 2005 model, and that generation debuted in January 2002. We'll just have to waiit and see what Toyota has planned for the 2011s.
  • truzzotruzzo Posts: 3
    yes they do, works great
  • truzzotruzzo Posts: 3
    I take alint brush to them once in a while----no issue here
  • I recently found this video of the 2011 Corolla sold exclusively in Brazil, I think? They have a much more refined Corolla available there, a big difference compared to what is sold here in the U.S. Much more upscale features in a car of this class. Too bad we can't get our hands on a Corolla similar to this one here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ZXpRgm-ds
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Doesn't look any different than our 2009's and 2010's. Are you guessing that Brazil's 2011 Corollas will be different than our 2011's.
  • I was referring to the features the Brazil model has (rain sensing wipers, power driver's seat, rear seat center armrest, beige leather interior, rearview mirrors with turn signals, rear sonar system on rear bumper, upscale grill, hood insulator). These are some things we'd probably never see on a Corolla in the U.S.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, your right! After a quick check on the internet not much will change for 2011 in America.
  • So far what I've researched, the only POSSIBLE changes for 2011 include a standard USB for iPod, and a new 5-speed automatic transmission (on all models other than the XRS) to increase fuel economy. Obviously there are no guarantees we'll see these changes for 2011, but it would be wise for Toyota to implement them at this time, especially to compete with other cars in this class.

I wish Toyota continued to install hood insulators on ALL Corollas. Currently, only the XRS has a standard hood insulator. Several weeks ago, I test drove a new 2010 LE. I noticed it was significantly louder than my 2004 Corolla LE, that had came with a hood insulator. A thin piece of felt material seems to go a long way with noise reduction. Another perk is that it protects the underside of the hood from dirt and debris. I guess Toyota figured it would be a good cost cutting measure to take by not including them across the entire Corolla lineup.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    edited April 2010
    Sooner or later, Toyota will need to implement many of these feature, if they'll want to stay competitive. The upcoming Chevy Cruze promises to be a hit, (might be another reason why Toyota waits with 2011 model until December - to check out features & packages of the Cruze), the redesigned Ford Focus next year is also very promising, and even for now, the Corolla (once upon a time the leader of the pack) is rated much behind the Civic and Elantra (!).

If Toyota has these feature all engineered and worked out, as on the Brazil model above, it would be wise to add some of them here. At least for a additional cost. I understand that American people will not pay too much for a compact (hence, the reason Toyota dropped leather seating from Corolla); And I believe not a lot of us needs the corolla to wash their own headlamps and include signal mirrors, and maybe not even the automatic temperature control; but power seats, hood insulators, rear center armrest, and a few more features, is more than welcome.

Maybe the reason Toyota does not include the hood insulator is, among other technics, to reduce weight, and thus receive best mileage ratings in class. Not necessarily to cut cost.
  • thecsthecs Posts: 7
    I just test drove a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE. I drove it on the highway because I really wanted to try the wandering steering. I honestly didn't feel anything, not as tight of steering as my Honda Civic but no worse than my Hyundai Elantra. Is this something that develops over time?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,731
    Is your Elantra a 2007+ model, i.e. one with EPS? If so, that may be why you don't notice much if any difference with the Corolla. I have a feeling the Corolla tends to feel different to people who have not driven another car with EPS. There could also be a defect in the EPS of the Corolla that affects only some cars, which would explain the relatively small number of complaints on the steering vs. all the Corollas sold.
    Well you have to remember the EPS problem is something that affects only a small number of Corollas. You odds of test driving one that was affected were null to slim to start with. The vast majority of these cars work as supposed to.
  • thecsthecs Posts: 7
    We have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring. It has always felt like it fights me to stay straight....maybe that's why the Corolla didn't bother me at all--lol. Is this the only problem with the Corollas? That and the floor pads? I haven't seen where the Corollas are having problems with rapid acceleration. Is that true? I really liked the Corolla I test drove but, I don't want to drive anything unsafe. Thanks for your input. :)
  • The 2009-2010 Corollas manufactured at the NUMMI plant in California (which has now closed) and the Canadian plant in Ontario are subject to the unintended acceleration (sticky pedal) recall. Corollas built in Japan are not affected by this recall. I am aware of four recalls affecting certain 2009-2010 Corollas. Please see attached link for further information regarding these recalls:

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010/toyota/corolla/recalls.html
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    If you own a Toyota, live in LA or Orange County, CA and have a favorite story about your car, please email your daytime contact information and year/make/model to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• ntassistantntassistant Posts: 64
    While trying to "build" or configure a new Corolla on Toyota.com, I tried to select the optional iPod interface kit in conjunction with the optional JBL package. For some reason, the two are not available together and I think it has something to do with the XM satellite radio receiver installed with the JBL package.

So my question is, can you use an iPod with the AUX jack equipped on the Corolla (this is without the iPod interface kit). If so, exactly what kind of adapter is needed if it is possible to play songs on an iPod through the car's stereo? Any help or explanations are greatly appreciated!
  • I have a 2010 Corolla. I'm trying to remember but when I first got the car, don't remember the steering wheel every squeaking when I would turn it. I seem to recall it making little to no noise.

Then one day I brought the car into one of the dealerships to get something fixed. First thing I notice when I got into the car was the steering wheel squeaked when I turned it.

It's one of those situations where the squeak catches your attention right away...and you start to wonder if it ever did this...maybe I don't remember because it never did squeak. Only way I'm going to find out is to rent one and see if it does that on another car.

BTW, does your steering wheel squeak...not always but let's say you stop the car to park it and do some quick turns with the steering wheel....does it squeak?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    If it has power steering, you should first check the power steering fluid level. What you're describing is THE symptom of low power steering fluid - since the vehicle is fairly new, it may have a leak.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    edited June 2010
    Still hanging around after trading my 09 Corolla XLE for my 2008 Subaru Outlback (yep, I went backwards a year on a very low Mileage Loaded Outback...

That was a GOOD list of improvements you assembled! IMHO

FWIW, I think they should also add an emergency gas door release in the trunk! The Subbie does not have one either, and the release tab's metal on the Corolla is just SO THIN that over time, it does bend and the door can get stuck shut! The Corolla should offer H.I.D headlights as an option...missed them Just my 2 cents! REFINE the good points!!!!! Loved the Trac and VSC last winter, but missed the heated seats and outside mirrors which I have now!

A pie in the sky suggestion,but why not offer an AWD version of the Corolla...the matrix has some sort of AWD package you can add.

Good luck to all
  • "The Subbie does not have one either, and the release tab's metal on the Corolla is just SO THIN that over time, it does bend and the door can get stuck shut!"

I noticed this immediately while looking at the 10th generation Corollas. Both the trunk and fuel filler door release handles located on the driver's side floor area are made of a cheap, flimsy metal and have stickers for decals. This is another way Toyota decided to cut costs and "move backwards". My 1989 Corolla had the exact same release handles and you're correct, over time they bend and the stickers peel right off. The Corollas haven't had these same release handles since the 1988-1992 generation (I think). My '04 Corolla had sturdy release handles made of a thick plastic with the decals lasered right into them. Never once had a problem with the 04. Even the Yaris has the better quality plastic release handles.

If you really examine the 10th generation Corolla all around in person, you begin to see the many ways Toyota cut costs.
    Perhaps these gas door "cheaper release tabs" you posted about were a change for 2010. On my 2009 Corolla I have the same tabs as my 2001 Corolla. Rigid metal and never a problem.
    edited June 2010
    Here are pictures to compare the two different materials used for the fuel door and trunk release tabs:

http://idi.aultec.com/v/21/7034/txt/18889634_18572791.jpg
    (This is from a 2010 Corolla S)

http://idi.aultec.com/v/21/7034/txt/19087928_19627817.jpg
    (This is from a 2007 Corolla S)

Here is a picture of a 2010 Yaris release tabs
    http://67.192.79.212/inventory/thumb.php?cropratio=4:3&maxwidth=460&maxheight=34- 5&im=../eVox/stills_0640/6284/6284_st0640_063.jpg

Everyone has their opinion, but I definitely believe the tabs used in the 2003-2008 generation were of much better quality. Over time, the decals (stickers) will lose their adhesive and peel off due to moisture and age.
    Yes I have to agree that the tabs on the 2009/2010 Corolla fuel door are cheaper looking than previous models. I don't necessarily agree that the metal is thin and will bend, but I do like the looks of earlier style much better. I want to recall my post #217 as this was wrong information. I have/had so many Toyotas that sometime I post with the wrong model in mind.
  • I was looking at my local dealership on Sunday morning. I happened to see a 2001 Corolla LE in the row containing cars going to be sent to the auction. I peeked at the relese tabs and they look exactly like the 2003-08 generation tabs. I figured you might see this on your 2001 as well!

I have been doing some extensive research on these tabs. Apparently on the 03-08 generation, there is actually a release cable for both gas door and trunk. On the 09-present Corolla, there isn't a release cable. I found this by searching on "body hardware" category for the Corolla on the Toyota Parts database on my dealership's website. I compared the two generations and realized this. This is confusing because they both do the same function, but look different and are different materials. I just wish Toyota would go back to the plastic tabs on the Corolla! Heck, even the Yaris has the better quality tabs!
    That's really interesting! I do agree the older style are more stylish. Thanks for the info.
    edited June 2010
    My biggest regret ever is trading in my 2004 Corolla LE for a 2010 Avalon. The 2004 Corolla was one excellent car. Mine had 37,000 miles and was literally like new! It had every possible option for that model year, side airbags, ABS, sunroof, FACTORY leather interior, alloys, etc. It took me literally two years to find this car. No dealer in my region would special order this car with these options. They said it was impossible to get one with factory leather and would only offer to get one without the leather and install aftermarket. I refused the aftermarket as the quality and finished product doesn't compare to factory. Finally in December 2003, my local dealer found the car I wanted without the alloys in Boston (30 miles away). They swapped a car on their lot and I purchased this car. I had them put on the alloys that were offered as a Genuine Toyota accessory. It was one gorgeous car, Indigo Ink Pearl with oak leather. I thin I was one of very few people in New England to have a Corolla with this configuration! I felt very lucky driving around in such a hard to find vehicle!

I meticulously maintained this car, synthetic oil changes every 3,000 miles, garaged, washed and waxed regularly. I am the type of person who parks extra far away in a parking lot to avoid dings and shopping carts. The car was exceptional for being nearly 6 years old!

While on vacation in Florida, I was offered a free upgrade and was given an Avalon to rent from Alamo. I fell in love with the Avalon as it drove and handled awesome. Remember in Florida, it's mostly highway driving. I primarily do all city driving and the Corolla was perfect for this. I liked the Avalon so much that I decided to purcahse one last November. I also thought Toyota was going to discontinue the Avalon lineup as there was much speculation about this. So, I stupidly traded in my lovely Corolla for this horrible Avalon. I have posted before that I am very dissatisfied with the Avalon as the transmission has issues while city driving. It's confused, it hesitates and doesn't coast.

I thought long and hard about trading it in for a 2010 Corolla XLE. While carefully examining the current Corolla, the quality just doesn't compare to the 03-08 generation. In my opinion, Toyota really cut corners with this generation. If you look carefully at every detail of both 9th and 10th generations, you begin to notice things. Even looking at the undercarriages of both generations. Just Sunday, I was looking at a 2010 LE's undercarriage. The workmanship is literally sloppy underneath, compound, or undercoating smeared everywhere. Not that this is visible while driving, but the build quality just seems very sloppy. Nowhere near the quality compared to my 04. The 2010 I was looking at was built in Canada. I thought maybe as NUMMI was closing, the morale and work ethics of employees decreased and quality wasn't important, but this was a car built in Canada!

Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge Toyota fan and will only purchase Toyota vehicles. I still think the current Corolla is a good car. The quality and workmanship has partially slipped, but I am confident Toyota realizes this and they are being proactive about it. Hence the delay of the 2011 model year. Also, there is an abundance of 2010 LE's in my region that were built at NUMMI. These cars are NOT moving at all, even with the great incentives since early March! The hottest model selling right now is the Corolla S. These are flying off dealer lots! The S is a much better value, MUCH more features than the LE for a little more money. Thanks for listening to my story! By the way, I've located my 04 Corolla. Someone purchased it in the next town over from me. I saw it in their driveway and know it's my old car by the alloys and window vent visors. I also ran the CARFAX and the report states the second owner registered it in that town. I'm tempted to stop in and introduce myself as the ex. owner of their car! They're lucky to have such a fabulous used car for being 6 years old!
    That's an interesting story. I understand your thoughts entirely and agree with everything you said. I have three Corollas right now and my favorite right now is definitely my 2001 LE. I have a "92" and a "09 XLE" also. I really like my 2009 XLE quite a bit, but I'd rather drive my 2001. Your right about the quality skimping on the recent generation Corolla vs. the older style. I also had a favorite Corolla I wish I never would have gotten rid of. It was a "79" Corolla that drove like a truck, it had manual steering and you felt every bump in the road but it was great. I have previously owned a Celica and a Tercel. All great cars and would have bought them all over again. In a year or two I would love to get a fully loaded Tacoma. Wouldn't think of ever buying any other model car. I have full faith that Toyota will regroup and be a better company for all of their current woes. They sure were a victim of getting too big, too fast and started loosing the one thing that made them #1 in the first place, their known quality.
  • I agree the 1998-02 generation Corolla was also one very well built generation. Interior materials are top notch for the compact class. I drove a 2001 LE as a rental for an entire week in Florida and absolutely loved it! Gas mileage was awesome and the excellent build quality was certainly noticeable.

What I loved about the 03-08 generation was the height of the vehicle. It was super easy getting in and out of the car as it wasn't so low as previous generations!

I also currently own a 1989 Corolla sedan and love this generation as well. With 150,000 miles, the engine still runs like new. Too bad the metal was cheap in those days and the car now has excessive body rot that started 10 years ago. It's only used as a spare car and rarely driven. I certainly have gotten my moneys' worth out of this car!
    That's for sure, my "79" Corolla and my "86" Tercel were "rust buckets" but the motors ran forever. I used to take strips of aluminum as patches and rivet them on the body, then try to match the paint as close as I could. You gotta admit though, that's one area I think all car manufacturers really came leaps and bounds on, is the integrity of the cars body.