Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Civic Problems

Comments

• bryan200kbryan200k Posts: 64
    Thanks for the info 'targettuning'. I guess this is something that I'll get used to. Was actually thinking about the AC driving home this morning in this Southern PA weather. If I need it cooler, I'll just crank it a little cooler on the dial, and put it on Recirc like the dealer (AntrimW) delivered it to me.

Wasn't complaining too loud. Just reporting on my experience. Heck, my Chevy's AC worked crappy for a long time, until the garage (Jennings) finally figured out there was a Tech Bulletin on a defective (from the factory) part in the AC system.

I bought this Civic for the daughter, but I've been driving it to work at night. I really like it. .

There are four Civics in our parking lot on the graveyard shift. We've been comparing notes. One SI, one LX, one EX and mine (LX-S).

Have a great day!
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    You must be in the Chambersburg area as well!! Bought ours at Hagerstown Honda but have had it serviced lately at Antrimway....small world indeed.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623
    Don't bring in the outside air when using the a/c or it will feel hotter. Always use recirculate and the car's like a meat locker...you could hang beef in there! Usually turn it down cause it's too cold.
    Hopefully this will help y'all...great a/c in my '06 LX.

The Sandman :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• bryan200kbryan200k Posts: 64
    Yes, I live in Chambersburg. We shopped around all over Central PA and Maryland for our Civic.

I bought my son's 2007 Accord SE at AntrimWay, and now my daugher's 2009 Civic LX-S there. Their service department has always treated us fair and well. One of their service managers was GREAT with us when the wife and I surprised our son with a wing spoiler on his Accord for a graduation present. He gave us fantastic attention, and helped keep it a surprise for our son. I think he was as excited about surprising our son as much as we were.
  • 2009 Civic LX-S. The A/C is lousy. Yeah, I'm in San Antonio, Texas and it's hotter than blazes, but the '94 Geo Prizm I was in before this would freeze me out of the car within a few minutes of getting underway. The Civic A/C fluctuates in temp blowing out the vent--never getting truly cold. It seems to fluctuate less and blow cooler while running at steady highway speed. It's terrible while sitting in traffic; where the air right of the vent goes from warm to kind of cool and back to warm again--never cooling the inside of the car. Given that it does better at highway speed (i.e. higher rpms) it seems like its an issue of not getting enough electical power at lower rpms to operate properly, but who knows. I just know when I finally get a chance to take it to the dealer, they're gonna' tell me everything checks out and is functioning "within normal range."
    This is exactly the scenario the complaints centered on back when the newest generation Civic came out for the 2006 model year. At idle, at a traffic light or in traffic the AC alternated between blowing "cool" (not cold) air and warm air but works OK at speed. It isn't an electrical issue but instead it was thought to be a compressor "on-verses-off" time problem at low engine speed plus many feel the entire AC system is under designed i.e. not enough capacity. And yes they will tell you it is operating within normal parameters.
  • corgimomcorgimom Posts: 1
    I've noticed the same thing in my 2009 Civic LX. I used to drive a GMC Envoy, that thing was colder than a well digger's knee in the Klondike!

I also have another beef with Honda (this is my FIRST Honda purchase). The way the windshield and rear window are placed makes it IMPOSSIBLE to clean the inside of the window all the way down! I'm a female with medium sized hands and can't get my hands past the hump on the driver's side! Same thing with the rear window and the brake light.

Is Honda behind the marketing of the "Windshield Wonder"???
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    I think it is the size of the front windshield.
    Maybe not since some other cars have this extreme sloped windshield/backlight but it works pretty well to clean the bottom and corners...I have one!!
  • wcooperwcooper Posts: 6
    Have a new Civic LX and noticed that a light is on one of the air vent buttons all the time (showing direction of air flow) even when the fan is off, a/c off, etc. Why? Anyone else notice this? Thanks in advance!
  • sabrasabra Posts: 3
    Where do you find the windshield wonder to purchase? Thanks
  • I bought my Civic at the end of March, and never used the A/C until recently. After I turned it on for 20 minutes on Highway, I was surprised to find out that the A/C was much worse than I thought. I brought the car back to the dealer this morning, and they told me (after 6 hours) that the Freon was low and needed to be refilled. They also said that the Freon was a maintenance item and WAS NOT covered by the warranty. The charge was $150. This is the first time I turn on the A/C in this new car, and I need to pay for insufficient Freon? I complained to Honda America, and they gave me a case number; I'll see how it goes.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623
    Y'all probably should've turned on the a/c at least once a week to make sure things were working according to the specs. It's a closed system so there must be a small leak somewhere for the freon to be depleted. From now on, use the a/c more and in the colder months, turn it on some to let the freon circulate.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• xxyxxy Posts: 16
    I would have been ticked--what amazes me is the length of time the civics run between oil changes. I purchased the warranty where the maintaince was done for the next 5 years or 60,000 miles. I have to wait until the little wrench icon pops up on the reminder window or the oil life is at 15. Seems odd that at 20k miles I have only had 1 oil change in the life of the vehicle--it is an 2008 civic ex-
  • alz79alz79 Posts: 4
    I have to say, my A/C has actually been great - too cold, in fact. I'm sorry to hear so many people are having so many problems.

A few months ago (between February and April) I was having trouble with starting the car. I never really gave an update... sorry! So, I was told that it was normal for the car to take up to 15 seconds to start. I think that is ridiculous, but the repair guy read it out of a book. It had trouble starting when I dropped it off. I was standing right there, and they said, "oh - is that what you're talking about?" so we all knew it happened. Then after three days, they said there wasn't a problem, so I took it home. It had trouble starting one more time in April, and then never again. I have it documented, so if something else happens, at least they'll know that it wasn't the first time.
    A few questions then my comments on what Honda told you. You say you bought the car in early April (or the end of March) correct? I see that by the title of this post it was a new 2009, correct? I will tell you that we own a 1995 Dodge and I HAD been returning it to the dealer at the beginning of the cooling season (April..May) each year for a system check thinking that from year to year it might need "topped off" with R-134a (I will use the term Freon in this post but it is R-134a) but after a few times I was told it needed none so I have not done that particular service in a couple of years. Knock wood but the car still blows cold on its original compressor and all other AC components. The AC lines have not been tapped into except to check the freon level those times I had that service done. This is a long winded way to say.....a new car should NOT need freon unless it was insufficiently filled from the factory. It could, but should not, have a leak. You should be able to "not" use your AC for years (although you should to circulate the oil that exists within the freon to condition seals and lubricate the compressor) and still have no freon loss on a new car. If this happened 12 years down the road I would say OK something developed a leak through age and use....but I disagree with Honda that you should have to pay for this service/repair since clearly there was a low level since new. The only other way this could have happened was for a stone or other road debris to puncture the condenser in front of the radiator which is a known issue with this generation Honda.
  • alz79alz79 Posts: 4
    Sorry if that was confusing... I bought the car December 1st of 2008. Then between February and April of 2009, I was having trouble starting the car. It was taking two turns to get it started or up to ten seconds for it to catch. After April - no more problems.
    I was replying to "accordhunter" who has, it seems, AC problems with a 2009? Civic.
  • I was quite surprised when they told me that the A/C work would be covered under warranty this time. The service advisor told me that the A/C is running fine for the time being, but I still need to monitor for any changes if the Freon leaks again. I’ll follow her advice, and I would like to thank you for your and Sandman’s comments to this matter.

Credit to Rt.23 Honda in NJ and American Honda.

BTW, the dealer also replaced a defective trunk release--yes, it is a new 2009 Civic and was made/assembled in Canada.
  • montiepmontiep Posts: 1
    I don't know anything about cars, so I might sound stupid here. I got a 2009 Honda Civic LX in May and I've put around 5k miles on it so far. For about two months it's been having a very intermittent issue. It's only happened maybe once every three or four weeks, but I'll go to start it and it will take 5+ seconds to turn over. I always turn it to on first before starting, and this may be inconsequential but when it happened yesterday i pushed the key in while it was cranked (like when you push it in to turn it off) and that's when it turned over.

I know once or twice I forgot I hadn't started it yet and put it into drive with it off...hopefully making that mistake two times wouldn't hurt anything?

Any idea why a brand new car would already be having issues starting in the middle of summer? Could it be a certain type of gas (I don't always go to the same station). I haven't taken it to the dealer because I was waiting for my first oil change/service appt.

Thanks