Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf TDI

jchbsjchbs Posts: 2
edited March 5 in Volkswagen
i'm thinking of buying a New Golf TDI. has anyone
had experience with this engine that they would
care to share with me? and, i am unclear as to
whether the turbo diesel will be harder on the
environment than the gasoline engine. i understand
the tradeoff with mpg, but is that enough?

Comments

• I've wondered myself. I've not read anything that strongly points one way or another. I'd think if you do mostly highway driving the TDI would be a good choice. The MPG difference is quite significant and the newer diesels pollute much less than older ones. The one to get (but of course the USA isn't going to) is the VW Lupo which offers a Diesel that gets 95-MPG !!! Not a typo. At 60 MPH/95 MPG you could go 15+ hours on 10 gal. of diesel!!! But with every US company competing to make a bigger SUV we must be in the minority to even give a darn about such things. I'm only 32 but even I remember waiting in line for gas during the 70's 'Oil Crisis' It will happen again I'm sure, just a matter of time. Do a search on "auto pollution" and you may find some more info. to help you. I've posted the question to a couple enviro. related mesage boards & I'll post here any response I get.
  • jofmjofm Posts: 1
    I don't have the link but you shouldn't have trouble finding it. I don't have a TDI but did go out for two test drives. Wow! Now I understand why TDI owners are so enthusiastic. This must be the most underrated engine in the country. Anyone who says the Golf/Jetta/NB TDI's are slow have not driven one. Now I understand why torque is more important than HP as far as making a car feel peppy. If you don't like having to take your engine to over 4000 rpm to get the best acceleration, then the TDI is for you.
  • I have my 99 Golf GLS tdi since May.This car performs better than all the other small cars
    I had before,and I don't have any problem during city or highway drivings.The turbo engine transforms this car to a pocket rocket and day to
    day driving is a real pleasure.I get between 50 to
    60 miles per gallon and I save 40 dollars/month
    comparing to my old Honda Civics.If anybody has any specific question about this car,please
    ask me and I will try to answer.
  • The URL of Fred's TDI forums (also with links to useful FAQs) is:
    http://www.ufies.org/~fred/forums.html

Many hours of interesting info about VW's secret weapon await...
  • Yes, the Golf Tdi is an excellent option, it has the same performance than the gas engine/115hp (it feels stronger tough), but the gas mileage and the long term reliability is just WAY better. It's a pitty that we can't enjoy here in the US the 115HP Tdi versions.
    The numbers for this race-diesel? jejeje!:
    0 to 60 in 8,9 secs.
    1/4 mile in 16,5 secs.
    Top speed of 128 mph
    50-55 miles per gallon...!
  • I have had mine since Feb. 24th . I love it. It is my 9th VW / Audi, but my first diesel. Marvelous engine, incredible mileage. I am also certain it will last longer than a similar gas engine. And as for performance, well with a chip the horsepower goes to 110-115 and the torque to 182-196 (depending on manuf.). Truly an amazing little car. The most fun has to be the fill-ups:

"He man, you know that pump is diesel?"
    "yes... I know it is."
    (puzzeled look)

Never fails...gets a good laugh out of the truckers on the other side of the pump.
  • My diesel Rabbit will be turning 18 in February. I bought it brand new. It's got over 267,000 miles on it and it still gets 42-45 mpg. When my Y2K Golf GL/TDI arrives in the next week or two I expect it will be the last car I ever own! Thanks for all the glowing reports, everyone! I KNOW I made the right decision in buying this car.
    BTW, this diesel puts out less carbon dioxide than a comparable gas engine. See "Fred's TDI Page".
  • Hello. I am considering buying a 2000 Golf TDI for my husband. He loves the car and the mpg, but we're wondering about acceleration with the lower hp. Is it "peppy"? My husband likes to drive his current 5-speed Ford Festiva like a racecar out of stoplights, etc, which is why I ask. Also, he wants to use the car to haul a small trailer for lumber, etc. Anyone had experience trying to pull anything with this car? Thanks.
  • Joy, I don't own a diesel VW, but have test-driven one and I owned an '88 Ford Festiva, so I should be able to help. Most people are probably laughing at the part about your husband driving his Festiva like a race car, but I have to agree that they are fairly peppy cars that handle like go-carts. He will love the big 4-wheel disc brakes and taut suspension of a Golf, which handles great, and will like the power increase, too. The biggest improvement in going from Festiva to Golf, though, will be in interior noise. Festivas are tin boxes that resonate with every harmonic of the engine and road, while the Golf, especially a diesel one, is very quiet on the freeway. They are a bit noisier at idle, but quieter than the standard gas engine most of the time.

Other comments to above questions: VW claims a 20% reduction in CO2 with a diesel, which passes TLEV (Transitional Low Emissions Vehicle) status as defined by CARB (California Air Research Board.) I think this basically applies while the car is being driven consistently, because the exhaust is still a bit stinky at idle, and you can get a blue puff out the tailpipe when accelerating hard.
    And careful when posting mileage numbers. One of the above posts shows a mileage of 50-55mpg for the 115hp diesel, but this is in miles per English gallon, which is larger than a U.S. gallon. (The Brits haven't completely switched to the metric system...) The 90hp 1.9L engine posts 42/49mpg here in the States, but posts more like 60 in the U.K. That 115hp version probably gets more like 38-40mpg over here.
  • lckclckc Posts: 2
    I just got back from test driving the 2000 Golf GL TDI! I was trying to decide between the Honda Civic and the Golf. What an encredible difference! Peppy? Definitely! I think it corners great as well as delivering an awesome ride all around. Icabod1, if you are still there, I have some questions which I believe you might have the answers to. I asked the dealer if he had heard the oil horror stories (about the Jettas? primarily) and if they were relative to the Golfs. He hasn't heard of any problems, have you? Also, he said because of the shipping overseas the car was wrapped in plastic and a type of sealer was spayed on the bottom so the car would be air-tight. He believes this is what trips the O2 warning when it starts to burn off. Does that sound factual? Also, have you heard of any problems with this series so far? Yet one more question, MSRP on the basic GL TDI here is 16,195., would 15,000. be a reasonable offer? These questions are, of coarse, for everyone...so feel free - any additional knowledge will be much appreciated!
  • How does the TDI start in cold weather?
  • with a key, unless your in a big city...

little humor?!?
  • alextalext Posts: 63
    slfjiasofnjkbkjgv
    fnkaSDJbvckjbasd
    ancvaBjkhabvhkbvhks
    nsvhbadkvbsuvsuivbsd
    adljvnbakjvnbdajkvn
    snmdvjnvojsdnbvljksdv
    msvnsdjklvnjklv
    nsvjnosvhnbs

yes, I think so.

: )
  • Peppy, great gas mileage, and stylish. On the highway, it drives as nicely as my dad's $60k Mercedes. Who would want anyhting else?
  • Just got an e-mail from a VW dealer offering a "special" price on a '00 Golf GLS TDI w/lux pkge in the coler I want (silver.

Price is $18,700 + tax/fees???

Any thought from you Golf afficianados out there about this deal? Appreciate the input
  • Sorry the above post is price infor for a GLS NOT a GL.

Thanks
  • Good question on starting the Golf TDI in cold weather does anyone have a serious answer?
  • merpmerp Posts: 1
    A diesel actually has lower noxious emissions than a gasoline engine altough it has higher particulate levels. So I all boils down to pick your poison. I'll take the higher mpg's anyday.
  • Several testimonials regarding the cold weather starting of the tdi motors. From what was posted on Fred's tdi page my next car will have a tdi motor. Next question? When is VW coming out with their all wheel drive vehicle?
  • Just received our new silver tdi gls ten days ago and have nothing but praise so far.
    My husband is over 250 lbs and 5'11 and fits comfortably as both driver or passenger. He is used to driving a bmw 325 which he has suddenly abandoned!! I have my own specific needs because I have one arm and am only 5'1. Quite the couple u may be thinking,however, this car does it all. The three things I especially appreciate are the pump seat adjustments that handle with ease, the extraordinary handling and great visibility. I never get fatigued driving long distances. Fuel economy has been great. Our only concern is cold weather starting as we live in Montreal,Canada with lows of -30f. We paid the equivalent of $16,200 US for an automatic with the cold weather package.
This discussion has been closed.