Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Acura TSX

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Thanks for your input guys! I really enjoyed reading all of your opinions! Thanks again!! :D
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    edited March 2010
    . . .underneath the leather, Satellite Linked Navigation System, sport tuned suspension, bluetooth, voice recognition technology... lies a Honda.

Very well put; in fact, that's much of why I bought my TSX -- otherwise, I would have bought an Audi A3. I'm especially glad I got the last of the TSXs without the beak & electric steering, and who knows what else. Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper. What I really wanted was RWD, manual trans, real tires and a small diesel. Oh well. . .

Some say that Acura interiors utilize too much plastic. Others don't care/notice; I'm in the latter group.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    It is a shnoz - LOL

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    we owned a volvo that had RWD, Manual Transmission, real tires and with diesel. That was back in the 80's. I remember back then when most cars had RWD and then everyone started to want FWD. I personally love my 06 tsx-do not care whether it is luxury or not., To me it is a very comfortable riding problem free car. I bought it new 11/06. It just passed the 100,000 mile mark and still has the original brakes.
    It's been pretty well established that you're in possession of one of the seven best cars ever produced on the planet -- hope I end up so happy w/ my car in a couple of years.

Comparing an '80's Volvo diesel to the MGB, 240-Z & two Miatas I've owned and driven over 400K combined miles, to say nothing of the Lincoln LS I drove 128K miles (all RWD w/ manuals) misses the point I was trying to make. Today's diesels, available in Europe, but not here, are nothing like those we dealt with 30 years ago.

What I was trying to say was that if I could have purchased a BMW 3 w/ a 2.0 or 2.5 litre diesel, or the A3 2.0 TDI, all of which are available in Europe with manual transmissions, real tires & dipsticks, I would have done it in a heartbeat. None were available in North America or are likely to be, ever, thanks to the CARB.

Part of why I bought my TSX was to have a same-make trade when the TSX diesel was brought to the U.S. Well, that never happened (also thanks to CARB), and here I am -- not bad, just not what I was hoping for.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    must've taken a wrong turn and ended up in a Honda sales presentation training session!

Recently bought an '09 TSX Tech. Nice car, good value. Still would take a Bimmer 1 or 3 series over it, all else being equal. The sales experience was not a "luxury" experience though. And I'm on good terms with this dealer, being a repeat customer, so it wasn't like they didn't try their best. But, hey, they can only work with the resources that they have been given. It is what it is.

But I don't see why people need to justify whether or not Acura is a luxury brand. To me, it's not. But it's ok. It's for people who want Honda reliability and quality but with a little more pizzazz. It's a good product, luxury or not. Again, it is what it is.
    "Part of why I bought my TSX was to have a same-make trade when the TSX diesel was brought to the U.S."

Huh? Sorry, I don't quite follow the logic. You bought for the purpose of setting up for the next trade? And is same-make that important in a trade?
    Dynamically, the TSX doesn't hold a candle to a 328i. I love BMWs and am a BMWCCA member. Besides being expensive (a 328iA optioned up like my TSX has an MSRP of over $45,575), the 3 series is a tiny car (about the same overall length as a Civic).

For a single person or a married couple with no children, I'd take a 328i in a heartbeat (Sport Package, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 6 speed stick - that's it).

Like I said the other day, I know you're paying for BMW's RWD chassis (as opposed to an Accord platform), brakes, handling...

As a family car, the TSX holds its own against its famed competitor from Munich. Huge trunk, very comfortable & usable back seat, lots of techno-stuff, and fantastic gas mileage to go along with its wonderful driving experience.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

edited March 2010
    You stated what you really wanted was a rwd, manual, with diesel. How did you come up with me comparing my 80 diesel volvo with the cars you previously owned (none with diesel). I know you can get many more cars in Europe with manual transmission and diesel.
    Owning a honda product does not necessarily mean it will have no problems. I owned a 05 Honda civic ex-se and own a 05 Hyundai Elantra GT, both bought new, with MT. The civic had one annoying problem after another. Sold it. Still have the hyundai with 90,000+problem free miles. We, in fact, owned a 88 hyundai excel, that had 250,000+problem free miles when it was totaled by a red-light runner.
  • greenicegreenice Posts: 41
    I just looked a the specs of the upcoming TSX wagon: only the I4 with the
    automatic transmission - no stick, no V6.

I lost all interest, no stick, no sale for me. I am not sure Acura (and other makers)
    fully realize that for some of us the transmission is REALLY not negotiable. If there is no stick shift, we will go elsewhere. For now, there is always BMW (as much as I hate the image coming with being a BMW driver).
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I saw pictures of that thing today in blue and all I can say is why Acura, why?? This is not how you should be distinguishing yourself and I know you want to but this is not the way to do.

That TSX wagon is a one ugly son of $%^$%!!
    I agree-all 3 of the vehicles my husband and I currently own have manual transmission
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Acura won't sell a manual wagon in the US because they know that in North America, there are only 14 people that want one.
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    Well, I guess I am one of the 14.

So, I have moved on to an Infiniti G37 6MT sedan with Nav. Have been driving Honda Accords since 1982, but it's time to move on to other brands.
    edited April 2010
    . . .for some of us the transmission is REALLY not negotiable.

Absolutely -- you and I think exactly alike on this.

. . .there is always BMW (as much as I hate the image coming with being a BMW driver).

I used to be with you on this as well, but since BMW went to solid rubber tires (RFTs--they may be heavy & expensive, but at least they mess up the ride & aren't available anywhere but large cities, or on the weekend or in the middle of the night), along with the anti-do-it-yourself concept (no dipstick, for starters) and unwillingness to bring the smaller diesels to North America, I've lost interest in them.

Audi still makes quite a few cars with real tires and manual transmissions.

Hope you can find something you like. The pickins are getting slimmer and slimmer for me.
    A few responses to your wagon dilemma:

I'm sure the TSX line as a whole doesn't sell that many manual transmissions, so Honda figures to play it safe and only offer the wagon with a slushbox & 4 banger (everyone's into good fuel economy numbers these days).

I'm a die hard manual transmission guy (My '01 Prelude Type SH 5 speed has almost 120K miles), but the TSX has THE BEST slushbox I've ever driven. It is ultra-responsive, downshifts when you ask it to & doesn't upshift unless you want it to (holds gear at the redline in sport or manual mode).

Don't knock the 4 cyl until you try it. It is light & has pretty decent midrange power. I'm continually impressed with its passing power & fuel economy.

There's nothing wrong with being a BMW driver. They build wonderful cars (We lease an '07 X3). My only problem with BMW is the dimunitive size of the 3 series. You want a BMW wagon with a stick, its going to be a 3 series. You're going to have to special order one. The passenger room & cargo space in a 3 series isn't exactly big.

Good luck!

Many people that want manual transmission settle on automatic because it is hard to get it in the MT. We were one of them-never again
    edited April 2010
    Bingo! I don't know why people moan and belly-ache about this. Why should Acura spend the money and effort to cater to such a minuscule number of potential customers? It's the same reason why they don't offer pink as a color choice for the 52 Avon salesladies and 21 baby-boomer Elvis fans who might consider an Acura.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Not so fast math wiz...

Those 21 baby-boomer Elvis fans also happen to all be Avon salesladies. So the total remains 52, not 73 as you would have us believe.
    The european version of the tsx wagon is offered with manual transmission. Therefore it could be offered here without additonal expense to Acura.