Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Acura TSX

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Thanks for your input guys! I really enjoyed reading all of your opinions! Thanks again!! :D
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    edited March 2010
    . . .underneath the leather, Satellite Linked Navigation System, sport tuned suspension, bluetooth, voice recognition technology... lies a Honda.

Very well put; in fact, that's much of why I bought my TSX -- otherwise, I would have bought an Audi A3. I'm especially glad I got the last of the TSXs without the beak & electric steering, and who knows what else. Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper. What I really wanted was RWD, manual trans, real tires and a small diesel. Oh well. . .

Some say that Acura interiors utilize too much plastic. Others don't care/notice; I'm in the latter group.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    It is a shnoz - LOL

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    we owned a volvo that had RWD, Manual Transmission, real tires and with diesel. That was back in the 80's. I remember back then when most cars had RWD and then everyone started to want FWD. I personally love my 06 tsx-do not care whether it is luxury or not., To me it is a very comfortable riding problem free car. I bought it new 11/06. It just passed the 100,000 mile mark and still has the original brakes.
    It's been pretty well established that you're in possession of one of the seven best cars ever produced on the planet -- hope I end up so happy w/ my car in a couple of years.

Comparing an '80's Volvo diesel to the MGB, 240-Z & two Miatas I've owned and driven over 400K combined miles, to say nothing of the Lincoln LS I drove 128K miles (all RWD w/ manuals) misses the point I was trying to make. Today's diesels, available in Europe, but not here, are nothing like those we dealt with 30 years ago.

What I was trying to say was that if I could have purchased a BMW 3 w/ a 2.0 or 2.5 litre diesel, or the A3 2.0 TDI, all of which are available in Europe with manual transmissions, real tires & dipsticks, I would have done it in a heartbeat. None were available in North America or are likely to be, ever, thanks to the CARB.

Part of why I bought my TSX was to have a same-make trade when the TSX diesel was brought to the U.S. Well, that never happened (also thanks to CARB), and here I am -- not bad, just not what I was hoping for.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    must've taken a wrong turn and ended up in a Honda sales presentation training session!

Recently bought an '09 TSX Tech. Nice car, good value. Still would take a Bimmer 1 or 3 series over it, all else being equal. The sales experience was not a "luxury" experience though. And I'm on good terms with this dealer, being a repeat customer, so it wasn't like they didn't try their best. But, hey, they can only work with the resources that they have been given. It is what it is.

But I don't see why people need to justify whether or not Acura is a luxury brand. To me, it's not. But it's ok. It's for people who want Honda reliability and quality but with a little more pizzazz. It's a good product, luxury or not. Again, it is what it is.
    "Part of why I bought my TSX was to have a same-make trade when the TSX diesel was brought to the U.S."

Huh? Sorry, I don't quite follow the logic. You bought for the purpose of setting up for the next trade? And is same-make that important in a trade?
    Dynamically, the TSX doesn't hold a candle to a 328i. I love BMWs and am a BMWCCA member. Besides being expensive (a 328iA optioned up like my TSX has an MSRP of over $45,575), the 3 series is a tiny car (about the same overall length as a Civic).

For a single person or a married couple with no children, I'd take a 328i in a heartbeat (Sport Package, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 6 speed stick - that's it).

Like I said the other day, I know you're paying for BMW's RWD chassis (as opposed to an Accord platform), brakes, handling...

As a family car, the TSX holds its own against its famed competitor from Munich. Huge trunk, very comfortable & usable back seat, lots of techno-stuff, and fantastic gas mileage to go along with its wonderful driving experience.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

edited March 2010
    You stated what you really wanted was a rwd, manual, with diesel. How did you come up with me comparing my 80 diesel volvo with the cars you previously owned (none with diesel). I know you can get many more cars in Europe with manual transmission and diesel.
    Owning a honda product does not necessarily mean it will have no problems. I owned a 05 Honda civic ex-se and own a 05 Hyundai Elantra GT, both bought new, with MT. The civic had one annoying problem after another. Sold it. Still have the hyundai with 90,000+problem free miles. We, in fact, owned a 88 hyundai excel, that had 250,000+problem free miles when it was totaled by a red-light runner.
  • greenicegreenice Posts: 41
    I just looked a the specs of the upcoming TSX wagon: only the I4 with the
    automatic transmission - no stick, no V6.

I lost all interest, no stick, no sale for me. I am not sure Acura (and other makers)
    fully realize that for some of us the transmission is REALLY not negotiable. If there is no stick shift, we will go elsewhere. For now, there is always BMW (as much as I hate the image coming with being a BMW driver).
    I saw pictures of that thing today in blue and all I can say is why Acura, why?? This is not how you should be distinguishing yourself and I know you want to but this is not the way to do.

That TSX wagon is a one ugly son of $%^$%!!
    I agree-all 3 of the vehicles my husband and I currently own have manual transmission
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Acura won't sell a manual wagon in the US because they know that in North America, there are only 14 people that want one.
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    Well, I guess I am one of the 14.

So, I have moved on to an Infiniti G37 6MT sedan with Nav. Have been driving Honda Accords since 1982, but it's time to move on to other brands.
    edited April 2010
    . . .for some of us the transmission is REALLY not negotiable.

Absolutely -- you and I think exactly alike on this.

. . .there is always BMW (as much as I hate the image coming with being a BMW driver).

I used to be with you on this as well, but since BMW went to solid rubber tires (RFTs--they may be heavy & expensive, but at least they mess up the ride & aren't available anywhere but large cities, or on the weekend or in the middle of the night), along with the anti-do-it-yourself concept (no dipstick, for starters) and unwillingness to bring the smaller diesels to North America, I've lost interest in them.

Audi still makes quite a few cars with real tires and manual transmissions.

Hope you can find something you like. The pickins are getting slimmer and slimmer for me.
    A few responses to your wagon dilemma:

I'm sure the TSX line as a whole doesn't sell that many manual transmissions, so Honda figures to play it safe and only offer the wagon with a slushbox & 4 banger (everyone's into good fuel economy numbers these days).

I'm a die hard manual transmission guy (My '01 Prelude Type SH 5 speed has almost 120K miles), but the TSX has THE BEST slushbox I've ever driven. It is ultra-responsive, downshifts when you ask it to & doesn't upshift unless you want it to (holds gear at the redline in sport or manual mode).

Don't knock the 4 cyl until you try it. It is light & has pretty decent midrange power. I'm continually impressed with its passing power & fuel economy.

There's nothing wrong with being a BMW driver. They build wonderful cars (We lease an '07 X3). My only problem with BMW is the dimunitive size of the 3 series. You want a BMW wagon with a stick, its going to be a 3 series. You're going to have to special order one. The passenger room & cargo space in a 3 series isn't exactly big.

Good luck!

Many people that want manual transmission settle on automatic because it is hard to get it in the MT. We were one of them-never again
    edited April 2010
    Bingo! I don't know why people moan and belly-ache about this. Why should Acura spend the money and effort to cater to such a minuscule number of potential customers? It's the same reason why they don't offer pink as a color choice for the 52 Avon salesladies and 21 baby-boomer Elvis fans who might consider an Acura.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Not so fast math wiz...

Those 21 baby-boomer Elvis fans also happen to all be Avon salesladies. So the total remains 52, not 73 as you would have us believe.
    The european version of the tsx wagon is offered with manual transmission. Therefore it could be offered here without additonal expense to Acura.
    a fortune to get a specific drive train/platform combination through the various wickets that the EPA, CARB and who knows what other government agencies place in the way. It's a huge expense for a configuration that may not sell enough units to cover it.

The Europeans have dozens & dozens of cars available that I'd much prefer to what I'm driving now, but I'll never see any of them over here.
    edited April 2010
    I think they need to go thru a government certification process. I still say for the 14 people that want one, it's not worth the hassle for Acura.
  • wx_geekwx_geek Posts: 3
    I am going to guess this wagon will weigh about 3700 lbs. Not very svelte. So it should be slower than the sedan and handling will also be hurt. Strip it down and make it a Honda with the same engine. Less weight, better handling and you might even add 1-2 mpg.
  • I looked at a lot of confusing remarks and reviews online before I decided to go ahead and get a 2010 TSX-nav auto. The automotive press is just odd and blogs/ forums can be really nasty for no reason. So I also talked to many very, very happy Acura owners with high miles, low miles, all models including one with an early 2010 TSX. They were all like Saab 900T owners used to be if you understand what I am saying. Sort of, um, enthusiastic; even about certain weirdnesses. I write this only because the mix of thoughts on this thread have been, well, mixed and it was confusing to me when I was looking. So it seemed reasonable to add to the mix on the positive side. In case somebody is looking, for what any of this is worth, I think its a very good car and an excellent value.

I love cars and motorcycles and I've had a lot of very nice luxury-level/ performance oriented cars, MB, BMW, Saab, Volvo, Porsche, even a really nice C5 Corvette actually, (hey, I'm getting old and it was a pretty cool short-ish term relationship...) and was more or less happy with all of them until the mechanic gave me the bills or I figured out the actual depreciation and cost of ownership. But still, I really liked them all for various reasons and they all made the drive worth it. Last, I also historically like MT cars and don't really have any big financial constraints in the decisions I make about cars, so what experience I've had was maybe a bit different than many people. Still I don't like wasting $ and this is a very good automatic transmission.

For sure I do not care at all if anybody else wonders if my car is a luxury car or a sport sedan. That's wierd. My TSX is pretty luxurious compared to anything and its also pretty sporty. Mine gets a bit over 30mpg average and way over that on the highway (I've just put 1K miles on it, but I didn't really monkey around going extra slow or anything, I'm not sure why others apparently get less). The paddles/auto work very well, the two-stage suspension is car-like slow and go-cart like fast which is nice, the chassis is pretty stiff, the VSA seems to work well, I personally like the steering and, after RWD, AWD, 4WD, FWD experience over years, I think modern FWD is the best all around drive system for the real world; they are all compromised. The I4 reminds me of my favorite old BMWs' 4 cyl earnest and sophisticated character, but this is better and can really wind up. I also got a super duper warranty upgrade for low dollars with the already, as I said above, very interesting price that was driven by a factory incentive to the dealer. Great interior, exterior, electronics, chassis, motor, performance, warranty, resale, ...... Its a really an excellent world-class little car and I am glad I got it. No need to spend 50% more on a bottom end BMW with pages of options to equal this car as far as I can see-- and I wanted a normally aspirated 4. Plus while I'm enjoying the ride, all the goodies and the handling, nobody pays any undue attention to me on the road. Pretty a much perfect situation. Well, nothing's actually perfect of course.

There are undoubtedly other very good cars. Its hard to see how buying a '10 TSX would be a completely *wrong* decision though, if a nice running/riding/looking mid-sized comfy, reliable street car is what you need/want. But I'm far beyond that, I think the TSX-nav is actually a great car and a great value. Happy guy. I think it will stand the test of aging gracefully as times change too. (This is an attribute I've come to appreciate more as years go by :) ) We'll be testing that out for sure and maybe we'll let you know!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,201
    Suggest that Acura fans check out the "Where Is Honda Taking Acura" discussion in News & Views. We're the original owners of a '99 TL (2nd generation), and have been very happy with it, but we wouldn't consider the lastest generation TL. It's too large and heavy, and we don't like Acura's current styling direction.

Would consider a TSX, but the foot space for entering the back seat (between the bottom of the rear door and the bottom of the rear seat cushion) is unusually tight. I think it's a design flaw. Has anyone else noticed this?

The rear seat of a mid size car should provide easy access, but the one in the TSX isn't designed for average size adults, much less taller ones.

Acura needs to get its mojo back. Its sedans used to be innovative, fun-to-drive, and excellent values. The new ones are unremarkable, as reflected in the absence of new messages in the "Where Is Honda Taking Acura" site. It seems to me that fewer people will cross-shop Acura sedans if things don't change. Look what happened to the Maxima, a once hot car.

I don't think expanding the hybrid line will do the trick, because while hybrids
    edited July 2010
    "..... but the foot space for entering the back seat (between the bottom of the rear door and the bottom of the rear seat cushion) is unusually tight. I think it's a design flaw. Has anyone else noticed this?"

My brother bought an '09, and yes, we noticed the back seat is somewhat cumbersome to get in and out of due to the problem you pointed out....and we're not tall people, or long-legged.

I have an '04 TL, and I too find the current TL just too big. The styling I can get used to, but not the sheer size of the car.

(But be careful criticizing the TL. There are a couple of Acura sheeps over in the TL thread that will jump all over you, if they hear you! They interpret the lack of discussion on the car to mean everyone is too busy enjoying their TL!! :surprise: )
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,201
    Good sense of humor in your last paragraph!

Interesting that others noticed the back seat entry/exit issue, and I'm not a tall person, either. When I pointed it out to an Acura sales person, he agreed with me, and acknowledged that others had complained about this.
    Yes, the back seat of the 09-10 TSX is a little bit on the cramped-small side but its a heck of a lot better than the 1G TSX in size and if you think that is bad, take a look at the back seat of the IS. In the IS, the backseat is completely useless for passengers and only serves the purpose of an extension of the trunk. While the TSX rear is cramped, if your 6ft tall and under you can get two full size adults back there in the TSX if you have too. I'm about 5'9'' and I was able to get back there and still have some head clearance and a little bit of legroom, but not much. You can not do this with the IS.

I too, have a 3G TL, and have been more interested in the new TSX then the new TL. The combo of the new TL grill and overall size is a turnoff for me. Apparently the TL and TSX are supposed to be moving upmarket, so I suspect that the 3G TSX will grow in size and the back seat won't feel as cramped anymore.
    "....so I suspect that the 3G TSX will grow in size....."

If true, Acura will continue to move in the wrong direction, at least for me. :sick:
    Supposedly, and that being the key word, the sedan line-up is suppose to be moving upmarket, with the 2G TSX and 4G TL being tweener's right now compared to their next generations!

The RL is supposed to be gutted and completely redone as the flagship to compete with the likes of the LS, S-Class, 7-Series, A8, etc, with the 5G TL moving up to compete with the M, GS, E-Class, 5-Series, and A6, the 3G TSX to compete with the G37, 335i, A4, C350, etc

and a new entry level model to compete with the IS, G25, 328i, C300, Regal, etc
This discussion has been closed.