Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Transmission Questions

13»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Those lock out the higher gears.

So, say you put it in 3 - it will not use 4th and 5th gear. Say you are towing and climbing a steep hill, so you don't want it to shift to 4th and lug the engine.

4 is actually not Drive, because it locks out overdrive (5th on 09 and prior and 5+6th on the new ones).
  • diesel_powerdiesel_power Posts: 16
    edited September 2010
    thanks aterixeira
    that its mean if put in 3. i will be using gear 1,2 and 3 or 3 only
    and if put in 2L. i will be using gear 1 and 2 or 2 only

i will put in 3 or 2L when the car in total stop.
    or like its kind of shifting gears from 4-D to 3 or 2L when i am driving .?????

Thanks
    That's basically how it works, as far as I can tell.
  • john535john535 Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Sienna that just had a new $4000 tranmission installed because the mechanics said 1 of the gears was comprised of "bad metal" and basically disintegrated leaving metal shards throughout the transmission. I'm amazed that there is no dealership or corporate interest in backing up thier product. All you hear from them is "your beyond th warranty and did you have it continually serviceda t a dealer. Is their any recourse for the consumers?
    The U151E is a good transmission, too, so that's pretty uncommon.

It's better than the U660E that replaced it. That got complaints about hesitation, especially the year it came out.

Sorry to hear it.

I take it no extended warranty? Not in the 5/60 powertrain standard coverage?
  • john535john535 Posts: 2
    No extended warranty just a new transmission and no interest whatsoever from the dealer or Toyota. The Trasnmission guy said he never saw anytig like this before based on the damage from the 1 failed gear. He said it was bad metal becasue all the other parts where fine.
  • ehudsehuds Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Sienna. I started hearing a noise every time I took my foot off the gas and then about 7 months ago I went to reverse and it didn't want to reverse for me and then struggled in drive. It freaked me out and I immediately took it to my dealership. The serviceman I took it to experienced the same thing and then when they went to diagnose it, it wouldn't do it anymore. They had my car for two days and said they couldn't find the problem. About a month ago it happened again and again I took it to my dealership and again they said they couldn't find the problem. Now my car won't stay in park unless I have the e brake on. I'm so frustrated! I think its been the transmission the whole time and they never did anything about it! I also had to have the 02 sensor replaced a year after I bought it and the drive shaft also needed to be replaced. I think I was sold a lemon and I'm really upset. :mad:
  • I have had the same problem with my 2007 Sienna yet Toyota says there is nothing wrong with the van and that is how it runs.
    I have had the van since new. I know when there is something not working right. The van slows down quicker than it used to and makes a faint grinding/rubbing sound when I remove my foot from the accelerator until it hits about 20mph and then it seems to stop making the noise and coast normally.
    I used to take my foot off of the accelerator when coasting down a hill as I would always end up picking up speed. Now the van slows down when going down a hill as if I'm pulling an anchor.
    Today when I got home and put it in park the van started to roll down my driveway.
    Nothing wrong with Toyota????
    Buyer beware!
  • We are the original owners of a 2008 Sienna Limited. The vehicle has 130,000 miles without a single problem. I just took the vehicle to the dealer for a transmission flush and he told me not to have it done. I've never heard of such a thing! They said the trans would go over 200.000 easily and if I've never had it done it could cause more damage by having the work performed. Has anybody else been told this. Thanks
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Your service manager is correct. Toyota only recommends a true flush as a way of cleansing the system of shrapnel in the event that your transmission self destructs and contaminates the lines and the cooler in the radiator.

Link to the TSB on my cloud site:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9s6zw96tncvtbh4

Recommended service is the "4 quarts at a time method".
  • I have a 2004 Sienna. I needed a trans pan gasket replacement at 60K miles due to a leak. So, I got a flush and fill by default at that time. Now at 100K miles, it started to really hesitate when shifting - worse than ever. The dealer recommended a flush and fill. 2 days after the flush and fill I have a check engine light (P0500) which the dealer says is the vehicle speed sensor in the trans. They say the next step, if problems continue, is a new trans. I have no way to pin this immediate turn of events to the flush and fill but the timing is really suspicious.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    edited June 2013
    Well, maybe....

There are actually two vehicle speed sensors mounted ON your transmission (not INSIDE), so they are relatively easy to test and replace if necessary. They serve several functions including comparison to the wheel speed sensors for stability control operation, they drive the speedometer, and they are used with the transmission control unit to help regulate transmission shifts including valve body pressures to ensure smooth operation. Perhaps your poor shift quality was related to a speed sensor problem all along. I certainly wouldn't jump to replacing the transmission until you know if this is a real mechanical problem or just electronics.

Is your speedometer working correctly? A dead speedometer is one outcome of a failed sensor(s). If your 2004 has stability control do you have an ABS or TRAC light? How is the transmission working now? Did the flush & fill help? Did something feel different when the code popped up? If everything seems OK, then your sensors probably just had a momentary glitch and are probably fine. Not knowing exactly how they work, I cannot tell you if a dirty system is at play here or not, or if the flush would help or hurt.

If everything is OK, I'd just reset the code and see if it returns.
13»