Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

dan_odan_o Member Posts: 2
Stopped by a Subie dealer over the weekend to test drive the 09 Forester and the friendly sales rep causally metioned that a new 2010 Legacy/Outbook may show up in showrooms early summer 09, and among the changes will be windowsils and possibly a 5-speed automatic. He also thought the new Forester might get a 5-speed automatic in a year or two. Wondering if anyone else has heard these, or any other such rumors?

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, there will be an all-new 2010 Legacy and Outback. As with the new Forester and Impreza, it will be a bit larger in all dimensions. It should be introduced at the upcoming NY auto show, which is in about a month or so.

Subaru showed a Legacy concept at the Detroit show in January. The production car is reportedly very close to the concept.

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Legacy+concept&oe=UTF-- - - 8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Gv2jSeKLOpaitgfon9HOBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct- - - =title

As to transmissions, it will have an all-new CVT; not sure if the 5-speed auto will remain, but my guess is yes. The H6 will be the 3.6L unit from the Tribeca. Don't know if it will put out more power?

Bob
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    motortrend.com has an article on the 2010 Legacy along with pictures. Main diffferences are size (larger). framed window glass, CVT on 2.5, 5 speed auto on 3.6, 6 Speed manual on GT, big hp bump on turbo.

link title

Phil
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    Saw pics on Edmunds Inside Line today. Too big. Too much like a coming together of Legacy/Accord/Mazda6 with just a dash of Camry. I'm disappointed. I like Subies, but this one barely looks like one. Add to that the added mass. The current Accord and Camry are almost large cars. The Mazda6 loses it's nimble packaging and now the Legacy. Oh, well. So much for a tidy package that's fun to drive! :mad:
    The new Legacy is one inch longer than the current model, and is about 50 pounds heavier.

Yeah, it's 3+ inches wider and higher, and with a 3 inch longer wheelbase—all to make the interior more spacious. I understand it has 4 inches more rear legroom.

To me, Subaru made most if not all the right moves here. It will surely appeal to a larger audience, which is what they're looking to do.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I tend to prefer small cars but the Legacy was just too close in size to the Impreza sedan. You want a tidy package that's fun to drive, buy a WRX.

In fact some say the Impreza actually had more rear leg room. Not any more.
  • luvfishingluvfishing Member Posts: 4
    Really think the new Legacy looks attractive - but I understand that styling is subjective. Objectively, it is bigger - which is good, without being much heavier (+50 lbs is nothing). The larger volume, wider track and longer wheel base will probably help both handling and comfort. Subarus have always been rugged and dependable - but they needn't look "rough" too. New models always look a bit strange (okay - Subarus more than most) but eventually you get used to the new style. This is a more mainstream look - which is fine as long as they keep the inside goodness (awd, boxer engine, low center of gravity, good handling, and dependability) that is the essence of a Subaru.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "low center of gravity" and "3 inches higher" describe new 2010 Legacy.
    Strange times.

Krzys

PS I wonder if this is the same car the rest of the world will see.
    We get a wide-body version. I understand Japan, and maybe some other markets too, will get a slightly narrower version. Probably for tax reasons.

Bob
  • njchen24njchen24 Member Posts: 3
    Greetings:

I wonder how many of you will buy the 2010 Legacy GT which will available only in MT (manual transmission) and how many of you will wait until the AT shows up.

Thank you for your time.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for an auto version of the Legacy 2.5GT. Like the new WRX, an automatic just isn't in the cards.

Bob
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Here's pics off the Japanese site. http://www.subaru.jp/naias2009/
    http://www.fhi.co.jp/contents/pdf_52026.pdf

I'm not a big fan of anything copcat... and it appears this was styled by either Chinese or Korean "designers" who cannot seem to come out with anything without it looking like a collaberation of other Japanese cars.

There IS NOTHING distinctive about it. Even the back bumper looks exactly like the back bumper on a 2005 Accord.
    I see Infinity G35, Lexus taillights, even a hint of Chevy Cobalt! But I don't see anything distinctive or bold.

But I'm sure it will sell like crazy anyway.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I want it and I want it now! actually a Legacy wagon would be even better
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    I like it. It is just what I wanted in terms of space and comfort with out going to a big SUV. I esepcially like it in black as seen in the brochure: 2010 Outback Brochure

Is it perfect, probably not, but I want nav, bluetooth, better stereo and a little cushier ride now that I am over the hill but still active! ;)
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    When will this sweet-looking 6-speed sport wagon be hitting the Dealers? I looked all thru all the Subie site, and the NYAS stuff and couldn't find. Probably no one's saying officially yet - does anyone have any inside info? I just put my Highlander on Craigslist in anticipatoin of picking up a new Venza. I'd sure like to see this Outback before I jump.
    Sometime this summer. BTW, there is no 6-speed sport wagon, at least not for the U.S. market.

Bob
    The mini-brochure two posts back showed that it will. And, I found something else online: see link title

I don't pretend to know. At this point, I can only hope. Maybe by the Fourth of July?
    Yes, there will be a 6-speed "Outback" wagon, but there will not be a Legacy wagon for the U.S. market. Most people when they say "sport wagon," are referring to the Legacy, not the Outback.

Also, the Outback turbo wagon has been dropped.

Bob
  • asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    Yeah! This outback is looking good. And so is the legacy. I'm not sure what the fiance will want but subaru is providing more options. It's great the 6 cylinder will run on regular gas. That is a plus. And there will be a base model for the 6 cylinder instead of a 32K MSRP limited only choice. I'm looking forward to late summer. Hope her car can hold out till then....
    To-may-to, To-mah-to.

What you call "distinctive", critics have called quirky or even weird.

They mainstreamed the Forester and it basically saved them from the economic slump.

Should we be surprised they took a similar strategy with the Legacy and Outback? They'd be crazy not to. Forester sales have nearly doubled, and it's far less distinctive than it used to be.
  • proreviewerproreviewer Member Posts: 2
    Venza is, from what I've seen, an Outback wannabe. Stick to the original SUW.
  • hondaruhondaru Member Posts: 11
    I like what I see so far from the new Subie, I'd like to see Subaru's parent, FHI, leverage its relationship with Toyota to bring hybrid engines to market soon, or develope their own. Otherwise when my 2003 gets ready for replacement I may have to look elsewhere.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I'm not expecting them to style it with wings or a boat-tail back.... just make it so I can recognize it. Maybe they don't trust themselves to... so they just used Infinity G35 as a base, but it doesn't look as good.

The Outback looks better... but I don't like the busy rear.
    Saw both of these in person, and was able to sit in a base Outback with appears to be the Premium package, plus a Legacy GT Limited 6 speed.

First the bad...

The side mirrors were not break-aways and the turn signals are gone, though we were not sure if these were production or not.

The interior design is a little busy, I thought the 05-09 was actually a bit cleaner (I feel the same way about the previous BMW 3 series, better than the new 3).

The moonroof on the Outback is now normal - no double, not oversized either. Get a Forester if you want a cool roof.

Now the likes...

The back seat is limo-like and offers about double the space. Night and day. Not only is legroom far better, but it's also wider, and might actually accomodate 3 across now.

The roof rack with the hidden cross bars in the Outback are absolutely TRICK. Coolest roof rack I've ever seen. Not just form, like, say, the XTerra, but also function. They hold 150 lbs (XTerra's cool aluminum one holds just 75), up from 100 lbs on the old Outback. They are easy to use, aerodynamic when not in use, and save you a bunch from having to buy cross bars since no cars some with them any more.

The Legacy GT Limited had a USB port in the console, very cool. You can play music from a flash drive, or from an iPod and even charge that iPod. Welcome to the 21st century, Subaru audio. Bummer that the Outback w/Premium pkg did not get it - an error IMHO.

Exterior looks great in person. Infiniti G37 but in a good way, and I doubt Subaru will mind comparison with a luxury nameplate. Profile especially, but even the stacked headlights remind me of other Inifitis.

6 speed manual in the Legacy GT, woo-hoo!

Now build a wagon Subaru...
  • mrbuddyleemrbuddylee Member Posts: 24
    I'm so excited to see the new legacy in person... The current one has a back seat that is terrible. If this has a nice sized back seat, I am all over the GT. 6 speed manual, all wheel drive, hopefully better gas mileage... Sounds awesome...

Anyone have any ideas what pricing will be on these? Think the GT will come in about $28k? A guy can hope I guess?
    Just curious, but I'm just about ready to jump into an Elantra Touring. The 2010 Outback would be more $$, but I'd enjoy the extra ground clearnace, and smoother all-aluminum engine of the Subie. So the question is, when will they hit dealers? You seem to have some inside track ...
    I think we might start seeing them in dealers in late June or early July. No word yet on pricing but I suspect it will be very close (maybe even under?) the '09 models.

Bob
    I think $28k is realistic because Subaru actually dropped the list price on the 2009 Forester when it came out, and that strategy worked very well for them.
    Hyundais have made great strides, but I'd compare an Elantra Touring to an Outback Sport, the Outback's smaller cousin.

The Outback is more refined and upscale, and the 2010 is probably sized closer to the Azera.

They were open at the NY Auto Show, which is cool because they had just debuted the week prior.
    Just visited the local Subie Dealer on the way home from work tonite. The official date given for the 10 was "August", but two other folks there recalled that when the redesigned Forester came out, it was dropped out a couple of months early. So - June seems probable, if not likely.

The stop-by brought back memories of why I didn't buy that Forester 2 years ago - the Telescopic Steering Wheel is not available unless you get the Turbo. So I bought the Highlander and have been wallowing around corners ever since. Maybe Subaru will make that tile/tele standard for 2010 in the Forester as well.
    I stopped by my local dealer yesterday too and asked about the 2010 Legacy. The initial sales person I talked to said expect it in September, but he went and spoke with his sales manager and realized that they just received the brochures on the legacy, and his manager said they should get the first ones in something in mid June. He didn't know how many or what styles they would get, just that they would have something by June. I was torn between the VW CC and the WRX but they didn't compete directly with each other, I'm hoping the 2010 legacy will be a nice middle ground between performance and styling/size.
    Sure does sound about half way between the other two...
  • cd68cd68 Member Posts: 11
    I've seen a few of the colors on the Subaru website. Does anyone have the complete list of 2010 available colors? Also, will they offer a choice of interior colors, or are you stuck with just one interior color choice for each exterior color?
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Production of the new Outback and Legacy commences TODAY (April 27) at the SIA plant in Lafayette, IN.

Dealer quotes of August or September availability are quoting the full manufacturing ramp-up and official launch dates when Subaru begins mainstream TV and print marketing.

For sure, there will be 2010's coming onto dealer lots by June.

Prices and full specifications are expected to be released in mid-May. I don't think anyone will have any info on colors and internal color combos until that time.

Elliot
    great info, thanks for sharing this, june will be here before too long. Do manufacturers/dealers ever offer early bird savings for people buying cars right when they hit the dealerships? :)
    Yes and no.

They did for the 2006 Tribeca launch. You could get free satellite radio for a year, or $500 in accessories, IIRC. Something like that.

But...they had no such offer for the 2009 Forester.

Thing is - the Forester was a hit and the Tribeca was not, so they'll probably mimic the sales model of the Forester, so I doubt you'll see any offers.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    "Do manufacturers/dealers ever offer early bird savings for people buying cars right when they hit the dealerships? "

On a popular car, they come in the form of pre-ordered MSRP deals. Which is great when it's the PT Cruiser in '01, for instance. They were going for $3 over sticker, and people who'd put their money down early made out.

In this market, you can even haggle on new model, but the best deals should come in the old cars.

As far as the Tribeca thing; that car's been a dog in the market since they first came out. So anything is possible, but I doubt there'll be deals on the 2010's early on.

-Mathias
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26537373&postcount=1

The new 3.6 H6 looks like a bargain.

As to the NAVI, you now get a rear camera, the Harmon/Kardon audio and Bluetooth included for the same price (I think?) of the old NAVI.

Bob
    yeah, looks like the car is priced really well, I guess we'll have to see how it all comes together in the showroom, but looks like I can get a GT with a sunroof, cold weather package, and upgraded stereo for under $30k, so that's good! Unfortunately, they're putting summer only tires on, that kinda sucks to drop an extra $1k on tires/wheels for winter driving, but oh well.
    Starting price down $800. At least the slight de-contenting resulted in a lower price. And you get a bigger car for the money now.

I like the stand-alone moonroof option. No more forking out $4000 for a Limited package to get one.

Nice to see they continue pricing the Premium package as a bargain ($1000) yet the Limited package is still grossly overpriced. $4000 and it does NOT include a moonroof. Ouch.

I'd want a Premium with a moonroof, just that. Heated cloth plus a M/R, my fave combo. 2.5i Premium or 3.6R Premium.

Wow, you can get a 3.6R for the price of a 2.5i Limited. Gimme the H6 any day.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am not sure I like the interior of the legacy sedan. It looks a bit harsh. I looks rather grown up, when compared to the previous model. It doesn't look as agile and sporty. But, with that said, most cars are looking all the same. Bigger design concepts.

I looked at the interior based on the debut showroom photos and it looked a bit dark and hard looking.
    I agree - less of a cockpit feel than the 05-09 models.

Plastics are comparable, though. I compared them back-to-back at the NY Auto Show. The dash may be slightly harder to the touch, but it doesn't look much different from a visual standpoint.
  • sundog2sundog2 Member Posts: 3
    Here's an article from the local Lafayette, Indiana paper covering the first US Legacy off of the line. Nice blue color, and when I click the photo to see the enlargement, it almost looks like the side mirrors are foldable, as they're half painted along a fold line.

http://www.jconline.com/article/20090530/BUSINESS/905300329
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I agree...Photoshop enhancements seemed to help show a fold line.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    The large roof is gone? What a huge mistake. Seriously, it is one of the main features my wife loves on her 08. It never creaks, groans or leaks and it is the next best thing to a true convertible. Lets in so much fresh air. Why get rid of it? :confuse: This is a huge disappointment and along with dropping the X/T from the lineup, has all but killed any interest I had in this new model. :(
    Check out the Forester's helicopter shaft I mean Moonroof. You'll fall in love.

Nice to see folding mirrors make an appearance. Pre-production cars lacked those.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Yeah, we checked out the Forester before we decided on our LL Bean Outback. My wife drove an X/T Limited and while it was a nice utility, it didn't have the comfort or high end interior to go with the pricetag. The roof was nice though, but it's not enough for me to chose it over another Outback.

Maybe like the Impreza sunroof deletion, if myself and others complain about it enough, they'll bring it back. :shades:
    The Leg/Outback are definitely more upscale. I sort of like the utilitarian look of the Forester, though, never really been a luxury car guy.

Subaru usually gets the perfect packaging late in the model cycle. Look at the Sports XT models on the previous Forester.
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    Anyone know if the new roof will be compatible with the old Thule carriers (square bar) system? I am thinking not. This is one area where I think the the old "standard" roof rails were fine (and less clunky looking). You can see good pics here: Cars 101

They are cool, withtheir folding action, but I just don't want to buy all new racks fos bikes, skis etc... Especially after I spend all theat $$ on anew car! :shades:
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Oh, I see what you mean.... the rails? It certainly does not look like they are (currently) cross-compatible with aftermarket attachment systems. But, if you are inclined to use the factory crossbars, you can get adapters that should allow round- or square-bar accessories to attach to the "aero" crossbars. At least that way you would not have to replace the accessories themselves, were you to purchase one of these vehicles.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250