Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

dan_odan_o Posts: 2
Stopped by a Subie dealer over the weekend to test drive the 09 Forester and the friendly sales rep causally metioned that a new 2010 Legacy/Outbook may show up in showrooms early summer 09, and among the changes will be windowsils and possibly a 5-speed automatic. He also thought the new Forester might get a 5-speed automatic in a year or two. Wondering if anyone else has heard these, or any other such rumors?

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,653
    Yes, there will be an all-new 2010 Legacy and Outback. As with the new Forester and Impreza, it will be a bit larger in all dimensions. It should be introduced at the upcoming NY auto show, which is in about a month or so.

Subaru showed a Legacy concept at the Detroit show in January. The production car is reportedly very close to the concept.

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Legacy+concept&oe=UTF-- - - 8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Gv2jSeKLOpaitgfon9HOBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct- - - =title

As to transmissions, it will have an all-new CVT; not sure if the 5-speed auto will remain, but my guess is yes. The H6 will be the 3.6L unit from the Tribeca. Don't know if it will put out more power?

Bob
  • red927red927 Posts: 118
    motortrend.com has an article on the 2010 Legacy along with pictures. Main diffferences are size (larger). framed window glass, CVT on 2.5, 5 speed auto on 3.6, 6 Speed manual on GT, big hp bump on turbo.

link title

Phil
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Posts: 24
    Saw pics on Edmunds Inside Line today. Too big. Too much like a coming together of Legacy/Accord/Mazda6 with just a dash of Camry. I'm disappointed. I like Subies, but this one barely looks like one. Add to that the added mass. The current Accord and Camry are almost large cars. The Mazda6 loses it's nimble packaging and now the Legacy. Oh, well. So much for a tidy package that's fun to drive! :mad:
    The new Legacy is one inch longer than the current model, and is about 50 pounds heavier.

Yeah, it's 3+ inches wider and higher, and with a 3 inch longer wheelbase—all to make the interior more spacious. I understand it has 4 inches more rear legroom.

To me, Subaru made most if not all the right moves here. It will surely appeal to a larger audience, which is what they're looking to do.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I tend to prefer small cars but the Legacy was just too close in size to the Impreza sedan. You want a tidy package that's fun to drive, buy a WRX.

In fact some say the Impreza actually had more rear leg room. Not any more.
  • Really think the new Legacy looks attractive - but I understand that styling is subjective. Objectively, it is bigger - which is good, without being much heavier (+50 lbs is nothing). The larger volume, wider track and longer wheel base will probably help both handling and comfort. Subarus have always been rugged and dependable - but they needn't look "rough" too. New models always look a bit strange (okay - Subarus more than most) but eventually you get used to the new style. This is a more mainstream look - which is fine as long as they keep the inside goodness (awd, boxer engine, low center of gravity, good handling, and dependability) that is the essence of a Subaru.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    "low center of gravity" and "3 inches higher" describe new 2010 Legacy.
    Strange times.

Krzys

PS I wonder if this is the same car the rest of the world will see.
    We get a wide-body version. I understand Japan, and maybe some other markets too, will get a slightly narrower version. Probably for tax reasons.

Bob
  • njchen24njchen24 Posts: 3
    Greetings:

I wonder how many of you will buy the 2010 Legacy GT which will available only in MT (manual transmission) and how many of you will wait until the AT shows up.

Thank you for your time.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for an auto version of the Legacy 2.5GT. Like the new WRX, an automatic just isn't in the cards.

Bob
  • Here's pics off the Japanese site. http://www.subaru.jp/naias2009/
    http://www.fhi.co.jp/contents/pdf_52026.pdf

I'm not a big fan of anything copcat... and it appears this was styled by either Chinese or Korean "designers" who cannot seem to come out with anything without it looking like a collaberation of other Japanese cars.

There IS NOTHING distinctive about it. Even the back bumper looks exactly like the back bumper on a 2005 Accord.
    I see Infinity G35, Lexus taillights, even a hint of Chevy Cobalt! But I don't see anything distinctive or bold.

But I'm sure it will sell like crazy anyway.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    I want it and I want it now! actually a Legacy wagon would be even better
  • blackbeanblackbean Posts: 100
    I like it. It is just what I wanted in terms of space and comfort with out going to a big SUV. I esepcially like it in black as seen in the brochure: 2010 Outback Brochure

Is it perfect, probably not, but I want nav, bluetooth, better stereo and a little cushier ride now that I am over the hill but still active! ;)
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    When will this sweet-looking 6-speed sport wagon be hitting the Dealers? I looked all thru all the Subie site, and the NYAS stuff and couldn't find. Probably no one's saying officially yet - does anyone have any inside info? I just put my Highlander on Craigslist in anticipatoin of picking up a new Venza. I'd sure like to see this Outback before I jump.
    Sometime this summer. BTW, there is no 6-speed sport wagon, at least not for the U.S. market.

Bob
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    The mini-brochure two posts back showed that it will. And, I found something else online: see link title

I don't pretend to know. At this point, I can only hope. Maybe by the Fourth of July?
    Yes, there will be a 6-speed "Outback" wagon, but there will not be a Legacy wagon for the U.S. market. Most people when they say "sport wagon," are referring to the Legacy, not the Outback.

Also, the Outback turbo wagon has been dropped.

Bob
  • asdf9asdf9 Posts: 26
    Yeah! This outback is looking good. And so is the legacy. I'm not sure what the fiance will want but subaru is providing more options. It's great the 6 cylinder will run on regular gas. That is a plus. And there will be a base model for the 6 cylinder instead of a 32K MSRP limited only choice. I'm looking forward to late summer. Hope her car can hold out till then....
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    To-may-to, To-mah-to.

What you call "distinctive", critics have called quirky or even weird.

They mainstreamed the Forester and it basically saved them from the economic slump.

Should we be surprised they took a similar strategy with the Legacy and Outback? They'd be crazy not to. Forester sales have nearly doubled, and it's far less distinctive than it used to be.