Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Far from it...

The CVT is used by Nissan in the heavier Murano, so I don't see a problem with towing a light load like yours.

Go for it.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    I agree with juice. The CVT Outback is rated to tow 2700 pounds (with trailer brakes), which is the same as last year's model with the 4EAT.

Bob
  • Today, I drove the Outback for the 2nd time. I have been shopping for a new car for the past 3 months and my wife is about to kill me. I need a trunk that is high-up because I have a troubled back. I started with the CRV which did not have enough power. Next was the RAV 4 V6 which has a very low trunk( I keep calling it a trunk. I'm not sure if that's correct). The highlander is too big and the Venza drives like a boat. I tried the 2009 Tribeca yesterday and fell in love until I saw that it would only get 16 mpg in the city. Two weeks ago I tested both the Forester Turbo and the Outback 4 cyl. The Forester was nice. I did not like the fact that the storage space compartment between the driver and passenger seat felt like it was loose on all the models in the showroom. I like the Outback but I wanted to try the V6 which the dealer did not have. I returned today and I liked it. I did not love it but to save my marriage I think I will get one.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    Does anyone know if there are any plans for HID Xenon headlights on upcoming iterations of the Subaru Outback?

On that subject, does everyone feel the Xenon HID lights would be an improvement on this vehicle or are the halogens which come on the car now adequate?
  • The Acura MDX that I have been driving for the past three years had Xenon lights. In my new vehicle, I specifically avoided them. I found that the Xenon did not provide better visibility than say my 2005 Subaru Outback. My main complaint with the Xenon is the reflectivity factor in snow... it is unbearable. I feel like most of the winter, I drove around with only my parking lights on during nightime snowfall. My Acura also had "adaptive" headlights that bent around corners. I also did not necessarily notice any advantage to this. Overall, I think the headlights in my 2005 Outback (Halogen) were better than my 2007 MDX (Xenon). Thus, in my new Volvo wagon, I avoided Xenon and stuck with traditional Halogen lights.
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    I read an article a ways back, don't remember where, but it was talking about how HID's are a fad and not a safety feature. Because HID's are so bright, it prevents our eyes from adjusting more to the darkness and makes it hard to see anything else outside the beam of HID light. As a result, slightly dimmer halogens results in better overall night time vision. Sounds like reverse logic, but I totally believe it.

For this reason, I have no desire for HID's and am personally overjoyed they're not on the new Outback.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 679
    On that subject, does everyone feel the Xenon HID lights would be an improvement on this vehicle or are the halogens which come on the car now adequate?

The halogens on my Outback are perfectly adequate at legal highway cruising speeds. However at100+ mph speeds through the Dakotas I found seeing a deer far ahead standing at the side of the road with zenons on my W8 Passat was literally a life saver.

But how much extra are you willing to pay for the zenons? And I suspect collision and theft insurance rates are escalated too.
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    The halogens on my Outback are perfectly adequate at legal highway cruising speeds. However at100+ mph speeds through the Dakotas I found seeing a deer far ahead standing at the side of the road with zenons on my W8 Passat was literally a life saver.

:surprise: So.... at the risk of sounding like a total snob, wouldn't the real life saver be, oh I dunno... to not drive 100+ MPH in darkness??? OMG, WTF? :confuse:
    Not V6, but rather H6, for horizontally opposed. :shades:

Go for it.

The HID vs. halogen debate will continue forever. I've seen good and bad samples of both.

The HIDs on the Audi TT are lousy. Many are quite good, though.

Same with halogens. The lights on our 2002 Legacy were very weak, yet I've owned 2 Forester and the lighting was excellent on both, particularly my 98 model. Dodge Intrepids also had very poor lights (rental).

So it's not just the type of lighting, but also the optics, i.e. the shape of the lens, that matters.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    So it's not just the type of lighting, but also the optics, i.e. the shape of the lens, that matters

Plus some of them don't come set correctly from the factory, and the setting and the lens angles may need to be fine-tuned a bit.
  • I ordered a new 2010 Legacy as a company car back on 9/4. Anyone order a new legacy recently? Just wondering what kind of production times I am looking at right now.
  • curvecurve Posts: 20
    I have been keeping an eye on inventory within 50 miles of the Boston area. Everyday it would rise by 2-3 post C4C. It went from around 100 back then to 170 a few days ago. Then jumped to 180 and today jumped again to 200!

The ratio of 2.5 to 3.6R has not changed since my last posting in early September. Most 95%+ are the smaller motor. A quick check on used cars ('08-'09) showed ALL smaller motors which confirms that the resell value of the 3.6R will suffer in relative terms.

Still no posts on nav experience for 2009-2010 Legacy/Outback ?!
  • Have you tried the Ford Edge? I have driven one as a rental car and really enjoyed it.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    Just returned to Alaska with my 2010 Forester, and its lights were fantastic even in the pitch black of remote Alaska Highway driving. I agree that a nice set of focused driving lights to complement the excellent lighting from the factory would have been nice, but I had no problems seeing wildlife in front or along the sides of the road without adequate warning. I was *only* going 65 mph though... ;)
  • Anyone else heard of the boxer 4 cyl diesel coming in a year or two? Outback and Forrrester. 140ish HP with 258 ft/lbs torque. Not blinding 0-60 speds, but respectable (8.6 sec.) Europe has had it already for a couple of years, of course and we should see it soon. City/hwy of 48.9 MPG. I could sure use that as I'll be commuting 95% highway fairly soon when we move up to the Manzano Mountains of New Mexico next year. ;)
    I think it's pretty likely we'll see either a Forester or Outback diesel, but it may only come in the 2011-12 model year.

Would be a nice mid-cycle update for the Forester (2012).
  • Can anyone tell me if they have put 4 average size golf bags behind the rear seat (not on the roof)? In other words can it hold 4 passengers plus 4 golf bags? How tight was it in the cargo area? I know it will hold lots of grocery bags.

If you ask some salespersons such a question they look at you like, now what would you want to know that for? It's a fairly roomy car and that might be a selling point to those who haul an occasional foursome around. Many of the cars and some SUVs today have smaller trunks that make them unusable for that function and that probably includes the Legacy.

Thanks for any info.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    I'm certain a Forester would hold four, so expect an Outback would as well!
  • Thanks guys, that web site has some good info. It looks like it should hold them with some maneuvering, but it isn't a "for sure'. We have one guy that plays in our foursome who has a Hyundai Santa Fe and the 4th bag takes some real gymnastics to get it in, then keep it in place while the hatch is closed. If anyone has practical experience with 4 in an 2010 OB pls let me know.