Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    These forums are great as sources of info and also to vent, but sending a direct complaint to SOA works best.

It is easy to let them know what you like and what you dislike. Your complaint will carry more weight than the 10K customers who didn't bother.

I complained too about the lack of folding mirrors and external turn signal indicators and the removal of weather band radios that could save lives, as well as the lack of map net behind the the driver's seat. Why cut corners? $100 would have covered everything. Car manufacturers are foolish to be penny wise and pound foolish.
  • pf2001pf2001 Posts: 110
    It is strange to see only the map net on the passenger's side but not the driver side :confuse:
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,979
    It is strange to see only the map net on the passenger's side but not the driver side

The presumtion is the driver would be the one reaching for a map most often so not having one on the back of the driver seat (where the driver couldn't reach) makes the most sense.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Your presumption may be correct. My original point was that by eliminating some very practical and useful features was penny wise and pound foolish. How much more could a seat back net or folding mirrors cost?

In my case even though I have the navigation, the co-pilot (often my wife) is the one normally reaching for maps or literature, and not having the net behind the driver makes it more difficult. Another thing needed is for the nav system to have an interlock override that allows it to be fiddled with when the vehicle is in motion when the passenger seat is occupied.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The new ones are bigger so they probably felt like they had to cut costs in other places to balance it out a bit.

The alternative is to raise prices, which I'm sure would have been just fine with some folks here.
    edited March 2010
    My original point was that by eliminating some very practical and useful features was penny wise and pound foolish. How much more could a seat back net or folding mirrors cost?

Your original post noted the mirrors, weather band and a couple of other things at a guesstimate cost of $100. In reality, those items would probably add $500-700 at retail. Keep in mind when discussing cost - it's more than the cost to make the item. Add in design, transportation, part support, computer space, order processing, et al. It adds up.

Car makers (just like all manufacturers) have to cut things in order to meet price targets. Heck I love the standard trip computer on my Passat but AFAIK, no VW comes with it anymore.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I bet yours is Audi-based, the new ones aren't IIRC.
    IIRC, the platform is related to the previous gen A6. But I don't believe the computer is related to the platform. The previous Jetta had one and IIRC, it didn't share a platform.
  • The folding mirrors are already designed and in use in other markets. Subaru just wanted to see what they could get away with. A map pocket on the driver's seat back probably would cost another $2 per car (I'm not a fan of those nets that stretch out of shape, anyway). Weather band? There's already a radio going into the car, so how much difference could the price be?

I can understand these deductions on the lesser models, but even on the top model, you don't get them.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,040
    Probably a tire out of balance. Also check your tire pressure. Veering is sometimes tire pressure. Vibration at certain speed is usually a wheel out of balance. Alignment could cause either but usually more to the veering one way or the other.
  • gtbdevsgtbdevs Posts: 19
    Not sure if you have seen this link, if not check it out.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20843

I am one of many who are going thru the same issue, SOA has offered to buy back our OB, because they can't fix the problem.

Have had numerous road force balances done, did the spring fix, none fixed the issue. Our 1st OB has a build date of 8/09, the dealer got us another OB, this one had a 1/10 build date, the shake/vibration on this OB, way so much worse, then on our 1st OB, before the attempted fixes.

Our dealer is going to find another match to our OB, we are going to try once more.
    If no good, SOA has agreed(we have it in writing), to repurchase our OB.

Good luck to all that have this problem.
  • birdboybirdboy Posts: 158
    Thank you. I hope that SOA will come up with a fix for this steering wheel vibration. Aside from that I really like the car a lot and would not like to part with it. They could not possibly buy back all our vehicles affected, could they? would they??
  • mkmc1mkmc1 Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 3.6 Limited without Nav. WHen I try to transfer my contacts the phone says 'Cannot locate Object Push Server'. Everything else works fine - Ican send and receive calls, load some 'dial by name' numbers, etc...Can anyone help?
  • Hi

i just purchased a 2010 legacy with nav system. I have it mostly figured out but the instructions on the voice commands are written very poorly. Can someone explain the exact voice command sequence to enter in a destination by voice and also to enter in a destination by voice using preset memory points
  • pf2001pf2001 Posts: 110
    I was wondering if anyone has found out if SV is on the OB Limited? Book shows it on the single CD radio but not on the upgraded system. That would not make sense not to have it on the upgraded system...
  • mike1944mike1944 Posts: 16
    These tires are atrocious on snow and ice,I fished tailed coming out of a parking lot and almost did a 180,before the vdc and steering took over. The 2010 Legacy 2.5I Limited sedan,is my 4th Subaru, and the first that behaved so badly on snow/ice.My prevoius cars were a 2000 GT Limited,2005 GT Limited and a 2008 Tribeca limited.

Has anyone replaced the EL400's,or can recommend a replacement all-season tire. If you changed tires, any adverse affect on the MPG.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,712
    You might look into the tire used on the 2010 Outback, but in a size to fit your car? Not sure if these tires are any better or not, however? I don't know what tires they are, but a quick trip down to your local Subie dealer will answer that. :)

Bob
  • jtny1jtny1 Posts: 18
    mike
    i did not think my 10 subi legacy was that good in snow this year either and it slipped more than any subi i remember

i hope thats all it is is the tires?????????
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    I don't believe in all-season tire for Midwest & other regions with Snow and Ice. Those regions must implement German's law required winter rubber at winter time and summer tire when whether isn't cold. There no such thing like all season buts.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    If you plan to use them year-round and really want a capable tire in all conditions, I recommend the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • jtny1jtny1 Posts: 18
    i understand your thoughts on winter tires but i had many all season tires with awd that did great in the winter driving condition in upstate ny! I find these tires or its awd system not to be as good as older subi's period! I hope its just the tires or it will be going bye bye next year
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    It is definitely the tires; ironically, Subaru puts rather worthless tires on its cars while touting the safety of AWD!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • gened1gened1 Posts: 256
    I think the Lexus ES model uses the EL400 tire. I wonder if they have the sametrouble?
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 OregonPosts: 43
    The Bridgestone tires apparently come in more than one version. Mine are EL400 followed by the numeral 2. Perhaps there are quality or performance differences among the various sub-numbered tires.
  • jlengjleng Posts: 5
    I recently got a price quote of $23934 for Subaru 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium. I wonder what the best price you got for the same model. How about the best price for Subaru 2010 Outback 2.5 limited? Thank you very much!
  • gus_h_nogus_h_no Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I just picked up a limited at the dealer yesterday. Test drive was only 45 mph max. Noticed a little steering wheel vibration, not shimmy, a.lmost like the vibrator on a massage chair. It became more prominent as I went faster on the highway. also..the car drifted significantly. I originally thought the drift was the wind, but after this morning I think it is the issues discussed here.

How do you file complaint with regulatory agencies?

If not many people are impacted by this problem is it realistc SOA will find a remedy?
  • birdboybirdboy Posts: 158
    I believe there are a lot of us affected. There are 23 complaints to date at the National Highway traffic and Saftey Admin. Go to their site and register the vehicle as well as the specific complaint. Be sure to call SOA as well to report this complaint and get a complaint number should you need it down the line.Aside from this issue , the car is really sweet, however we do not know what specifically the cause is .I want to believe that SOA is working on a fix . We all must however report this if it pertains to your car.If anyone out there has any recent information regarding the steering vibrations especially at higher speeds, please share.
    Thanks
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    It's the same junk. I drove just 1 day on those tires and changed it.
  • mike1944mike1944 Posts: 16
    What tire did you change to.
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 187
    I've got the same tires on my Legacy, about 4500 miles on them and I don't understand the hate. Maybe 800 or so miles of mine have been in the snow, either here or in ski areas and I don't expect any combination of tires and AWD system to give me the same traction or feel as on dry pavement.

So, I adjust my speed and driving style accordingly. I've never noticed any problem with traction, not even laterally. I've read a lot of reviews on these tires that complained about short tread life, so I expect the manufacturer might have tried to save a few $$ per car on the tires. I expect they'll outlast the OEM tires on my wife's Lexus RX, about 22,000.

In my experience people who expect their tires and AWD to give them the same roadability on snow/ice as dry pavement are heading toward a serious disappointment. They can generally be spotted sitting in the median or in a ditch in their Audi!

easypar