Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Same here for our 2009 Forester X Limited automatic (with Active AWD, 90/10 default). We had 22" the first wave of snow, then another 18" or so the 2nd round, and we got around the whole time, even while others were stranded.

So it still does the job. VTD just does it even better.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    edited February 2010
    You know, the more I think about it, in bad weather I am not so sure the VTD system is really better. In transient traction situations both systems react to the situation to provide the best result. In normal going in bad weather the 90/10 is not so bad considering that most of the weight is in the front of the vehicle. More power to the end of the vehicle without the benefit of the weight might not be beneficial as a starting point. I bet in slippery situations the VTD spends more time sending more split to the front since the rear wheels would be more likely to slip, than the 90/10 sending to the rear. This is not to say that either is bad, and given the fact that both systems are proactive based on sensor info gives both a big advantage over other reactive-only systems such as Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and others use. The 10 to 50 percent to the rear of the 90/10 provides a nice range for the light end of the vehicle.

In dry situations that isn't the case though, as the 45/55 provides more balance and driver "feel", as does the 50/50 of the viscous coupling with the manual transmissions. The best balanced vehicle I have ever driven with regard to traction was my first manual trans Forester with the 50/50. I believe that this is the main reason for why they do the 45/55.
    The best balanced vehicle I have ever driven with regard to traction was my first manual trans Forester with the 50/50

Same here. My 1998 model was a real soldier in the snow, great for drifting around corners in a controlled manner, wagging the tail, etc.

I put snow tires on it towards the end and actually missed being able to break traction. It was TOO good. :D

In a way I prefer the mechanical diffs over the electronic diffs (VDC) precisely because they allow some degree of slip.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Yeah, I would really prefer the limited-slip differential in my manual Forester. With the winter tires I have on it, I find it very difficult to slip. Even if I turn of the VDC and spin the wheels, the open differentials and impressive tire traction make it difficult to whip the car around.

By the way, I found the local ice track last weekend with the kids. I was in the Forester and drove around part of it, but thought better of playing on it after watching an old Legacy wagon slam into a snow bank. I thought, "what would my wife do to me if I damaged her car while playing out here?" :surprise:

So, I got off the track and instead climbed the side of the adjacent dike a couple of times. The kids thought that was hilarious and asked me to do it again, and again, and.... :D
  • I've had my '10 Outback for about a month and am experiencing the same reception problems with the FM radio. It has gotten worse in the past month. I'm at the point where I can't listen to the radio without getting interference or some other form of static on every station I have preset. I am going to call the dealer today, but thought I'd see if this was a known problem.

Has anyone had any luck with this?
  • previous legacy's had a limited slip differential, but from what i've been able to research, the new cvt doesn't. has subaru compensated for this with something that will perform this function,or have they dropped it altogether from the cvt models.
    They basically replaced the mechanical differential with VDC, or Subaru's traction/stability control system.

The good part is that now both axles are "managed". Before it was only the rear axle.
  • If you read the consumer reviews here on Edmunds, you will discover that several people believe the 4 cylinder does not have adequate power. You may not need the extra power all the time, but it is good to have for merging, passing, etc.

Let us know which vehicle you get and how you like it. :)
  • I am new to Subarus as my wife has been wanting a RAV4. She has a sedan now and I think she will find it easier to put her groceries in the trunk of a sedan rather than opening that rear gate with attached tire on the RAV4. Hence, I am doing a little research on the Legacy. I am not sure but it seems the 2010 model was introduced in the fall of 09. Are new Subaru models usually available in Aug./Sept.? I am a bit hesitant to buy the first year of a major overhaul like the 2010 Legacy although I have only heard of a couple of potential problems with the 2010 model. Maybe they got it right the first time.
  • I have a 2010 Legacy Limited...now with about 2200 miles on it...the radio doesn't have an equalizer system per se in this trim level without nav but it can be tweaked fairly simply for a great sound...not sure what you prefer, I tend to go the standard bass over treble for most, 60-70% bias to the rear speakers, just behind the driver's seat...that works for me. The classical station especially is amazing and the local high output rock stations sound fantastic too...my iPod/iPhone music sounds best of all though, and I don't have the upgraded media pack. The compass/self-dimming mirror is an option you have to order--I'm very happy with mine, and it includes the 3 garage interface too. I'm about 97% thrilled with this car...except that there's a boat-like creaking sound that seems to come from the dashboard when I accelerate and the cabin is music-free. VERY annoying and very slight but I've always had tomb-quiet Subarus and don't like this creak. It isn't a rattle, nor a squeak...but reminds me of the sound of a big cruise ship on rough water :surprise: ....it CREAKS....hope that helps.
  • Go with the silver outside and dark charcoal inside. Silver is safe--highly visible on the road--and it doesn't show dirt. Black inside is WAY better than the taupe alternative, especially at the bottoms of the doors, which get seriously scuffed up.
    FWIW my Miata has an all-black interior and the bottom of the doors and door sill protectors show scuffs, too. Even the outside of the map pockets have marks.
  • birdboybirdboy Posts: 158
    I agree, I had 2 black interiors and they showed scuffs, mud,scratches etc. I have the black exterior and Ivory inside and it is so very soft , open feeling, and the wood trim just finishes it off sweetly. I will however need to remove my nephews shoes as he likes to kick the seat back!Fortunately the lower area where you put your feet is black.It just seems that there is always of trade off when it comes to cars..BTW, any good ,easy, leather cleaners recommended?
    Can someone go to the About screen and tell me what version the maps are?

Is the supplier NAVTEQ like for Garmin?
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Posts: 95
    edited February 2010
    Our 3.6R limited auto should arrive in 10 days now .. 15 weeks wait.

The point you miss about 45/55 fixed vs 90/10 variable is when the damned electronics decides to switch on you when in a corner, steady speed on unplowed roads and the big one, going down hill in snow / ice conditions.

I like to be in control - its a more predictable and for me a safer drive.

If there was a 50/50 split hold button that would do the trick.

A previous infinity FX45 had such a button, but the wise electronics turned it off above 25 mph allowing it to go back to fat tire RWD - not good.

Have had several AWD and 4WD cars and much prefer the fixed ratios and full time 4 wheel.

My wife summed it up during the test drive, this drives like your BMW 330Xi
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    edited February 2010
    Good luck with your new vehicle, I stopped waiting and bought another Forester.

The 45/55 is NOT fixed, it also is variable, just a different starting point. VTD is Variable Torque Distribution.
  • elena_lelena_l Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for your input! I am trying to talk myself into silver. I find it kind of boring, but i tend to be a color person, not a neutral (color) person; thus my consideration of the dark blue. I DO like the idea of a car not showing dirt, and visibility doesn't hurt either!

As of yesterday i realized i would be happy with either the silver or blue exteriors. My biggest concern is now with the fabric in the Limited. It is cheap, shiny polyester. I don't know why Subaru can't use a soft (fuzzy) fabric like Toyota uses :confuse: .

I DO like the fabric on the Limited (leather trimmed), but don't want to pay the extra $1000 to have it installed after market (would be willing to pay half that amount). Am not really interested in the other options that come with the Limited to pay the extra $$$.

elena

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED TO MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE. All your comments are much appreciated!.
  • gened1gened1 Posts: 256
    "Our 3.6R limited auto should arrive in 10 days now .. 15 weeks wait" I've seen that your handle is britgeezer are you living in England? If so maybe it's because you're a long way from the factory?
    I have checked local inventories in the upstate NY area and find a very low number of Legacies at each dealership within say 75 miles of the Syracuse, NY area. The dealer went as far as Vermont and Massachusetts and can't find me a 2.5 limited in Ruby Red Pearl. Most seem to be premium or GT's and in gray or blue. Gray is out because the impala we will be losing is that color and we wanted a different color,and blue because of the light colored interior and while we would love it our grandkids would ...well you get the idea. Can't figure out why the limited is in such short supply. The dealer I ordered from stated that 6-8 weeks was the usual wait time 15 weeks seems odd. I hope I don't have to wait that long. My other car is a Toyota Solara Convertible and the three grandkids will have a tough time in the back seat. (I may have to leave the wife home!!)
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    Got new 3.6 limited, LOVE the car!!!! Use to drive is350 as a daily driver. Subaru's AWD simply AWESOME!!! Don't understand why I wasted my time with lexus :)
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Posts: 95
    edited February 2010
    Actually we live in NJ and bought in CT because we got a good price. At the time of our order in NJ there were many 2.5's available and but 3.6R's only in tree hugger green and a few others that were just not our choice of color combinations.

We wanted the light interior - since we have found black is not that easy to keep clean either - add the sunroof to 3.6R and limited and the 6-8 weeks becomes 15 for orders placed in November. They said even longer if you wanted Navigation.

The communication system between SOA and SNE doesn't help either, they still use semaphore.