Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali Traction Control

13»

Comments

• I just had the front drivers ABS sensor replaced (part cost $50 at Napa Autoparts) and it stopped the warning lights and loud beeping noise. It also fixed the problem when i was turning left and traction contraol comes on. However now the traction control activates when I come to a complete stop (at red light) and I have a 2 second loss of power then it releases and truck runs great until I stop again. Wondering if the computer needs to be reset now that I have replaced the ABS sensor? Any thoughts?
  • All of this, sometimes individually and sometimes all at the same time, happened over the course of 2 years with my '05 Yukon XL. I had it serviced at Wright Pontiac/GMC in Wexford, which is where I bought it.

I had the ABS light come on, the traction control light come on and also experienced the lost of acceleration when pulling away from a complete stop, such as a red light. I was nervous turning left in front of oncoming traffic from a standstill because of this.

WRight wanted to change the ABS sensors and the steering wheel position sensor, which I did and the problem continued to come and go, albeit not as frequently. When driving in the snow, if the tires did slip it would immediately kick on the ABS light and traction control light. Sometimes those lights stayed lit up for weeks and wouldn't shut off, emitting a loud pinging noise for a minute every time I turned on the vehicle. When the ABS light is on, that means you DO NOT have antilock brakes working and there were a few times that I skidded and fishtailed a bit on wet roads and also had to be especially careful in the snow.

Then they wanted to replace the ABS/traction control module which is housed under the body of the vehicle. That part plus labor was over $1000. There were no guarantees that the problem would go away because it was just an educated guess on their part if that was the sole source of the problem. It seemed like too much money to throw at a "guess" with no guarantees. At that point, with the leaking fuel line, need for new brakes and four new tires I decided to not throw any more money into the Yukon and got rid of it.
  • isiisi Posts: 16
    Remove BOTH front ABS sensors and file and clean the hub where they mount. Although the shops are supposed to file/clean the surface when they replace sensors, most of them don't do it. Your "traction control" issue at a stop light / stop sign will go away after you have done this.
  • I have a 2005 Yukon XL with the same issue your having. After several times taking it in for service a local mechanic finally found the issue. Prior to him finding the issue, I was told it was a wheel sensor, then it was the pump, which the pump was replaced. It was neither of these. What he found was that you have a sensor on the steering column that if it gets out of adjustment, it will cause the issue your having. Have them adjust this sensor.
  • hjimenezhjimenez Posts: 2
    I am also having the same problem. Could you please tell me where to locate these sensors and remove them?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • hjimenezhjimenez Posts: 2
    Where are these sensors located?
  • The ABS speed sensor is located on the back of the HUB assembely (behind the tire). It is a black cable the plugs in to the HUB assembely and runs behind the black wheel well. The part should only cost $50 online. Hope this helps. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2004/gmc/yukon_denali/brake/abs_speed_sensor.ht- ml">
  • I've had my denali for about a year had have had it in the
    Four times so far over $1200 so far and I still have the same
    Problem the truck won't move when the traction comes
    On!!! The want to replace the sensor in the steering wheel
    That I just had replaced 6 months ago that cost $500
    Then the computer on and on it goes its a money
    Pit I'm getting sick of now there replacing the wheel sensors
    If it don't work this time I'm contacting DMV !!!
  • I have a 2004 yukon xl Denali. Had the traction active message coming up. My Mechanic replaced both wheel speed sensors to start with and it was still showing a problem on the right passenger side. Replaced the hub on that side and the truck is working fine. My mechanic done a great job and it was less than two hundred dollars. What a great mechanic.
  • isiisi Posts: 16
    For $200 you did well!
    However, you did not need to replace the hub. Remember this when the left side shows the same problem. All that needs to be done is to remove the wheel speed sensor and file the area where it makes contact with the hub. This area tends to rust over time, and if filed until shiny, the sensor will work properly! Tell him to put some anti-seize on the area before he replaces the wheel speed sensor.
13»