Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Aerostar

Comments

• i have a '95 aerostar with 265,000 miles on it. i do regular maintenance on it and do not have a problem until the other day when i was checking the front brakes and wheel bearings. when i pulled it out of the garage the abs light came on and the back wheels are locking up. i have taken the front and back wheels off to see if anything was on wrong and everything was all right. does anyone know something else i can try to correct this prolem or even know what the problem is.
  • rapprapp Posts: 3
    The ABS light coming on can be something as simple as the brake fluid being low, possibly from opening your front calipers and the tank over flowing. This happened to me a couple of days ago and corrected by topping up the fluid. Locking rear brakes??
  • littlehlittleh Posts: 21
    Check your local wrecking yard or go to Ebay
  • joavejrjoavejr Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1993 Aerostar. The radio/tape player's volume will go up or down when ever it feels like it. This happens using the tape player as well. Does anyone know if this is something that can be repaired or do I need to replace the unit? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
  • hi ive recently aquired my motehrs 1992 ford aerostar. I love it, lots of room, great for road trips (im 20 in college), 150000+ miles. we just got the transmission replaced, runs great though.

the problem im having is that a few years back we knocked the rear whiper fluid nozzle thing off, and that allowed water into the van during a rain storm, well we go that fixed and cleaned the water out... last week i found out we didnt get all the water out and proceded to rip out the back of my van. upon removal of the carpet i set it out to dry, the cardboard under that was gone for good, and the soundboard under that was lifted from the frame and there were puddles under it. keep in mind this is like 4 years later and im finding puddles.

in the process of me getting the carpet and such out i kinda had to break some of the molding around the bench seat attachmehts, and the step from the side door. there not horribly borken but along with some other parts i would like to replace i figure i might as well replace them.

problem is i cant find anywhere to get the interior parts i need, ive got a 1992 blue xlt, and would like to keep it that way, i only need the interior in good condition, donesnt need to be running, just need the interior. but alas im having no luck thus far, i did find replacement carpet for $250, but im not looking to drop that much on carpet and that just the beginning of th parts i need.

any advice for a poor college studnet like my self

thnks (and if any one has comptuer problems feel free to email me, im very knowlegable)
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    We prefer to keep the discussions here v. in email so that everyone can benefit. Please do not encourage or request people to email you when the topic should be kept and discussed here.

Thanks!
  • scooby2scooby2 Posts: 1
    I also have a aerostar but its a 91 it has real high mileage, here lately it wont start running if it is the least bit cold but as soon as it warms up it starts up, I have already changed the fuel pump,battery and distributer, I dont know what else to change did your brother find out what was wrong with his?
  • I have a 91 Eddie Bauer with 131,000 miles. Best vehicle i have ever owned by a country mile.The only reason I am getting rid of it is due to corrosion which is now unsightly. Interestingly enough, I had an expensive rust proofing done which appears to have been a waste of money. In fact, I have been told that you should stay away from rustproofing since they plug up the venting that dries up the nooks and crannies. I understand that Ford put a lot of effort into this area and you will rarely see a rusty Windstar/Freestar. Roomy for large and tall drivers, great high ride height, sturdy construction, rear wheel drive, and in Eddie Bauer trim, one of the most handsome vans ever built. I would buy another if the rust issue was solved.

This year had rear ABS and this has happened to me before with the light coming on. The sensor gets corroded and stays on and locks up the rear brakes for the first several stops. My shop took it out, cleaned it up and put it back in. Lasted 3 years, now it is doing it again.

I have the reg. length 3.0 and I had the tranny fluid changed and flushed at 60,000. Never have had a problem. So far, I have had a steering rack, alternator, ball joint, blower motor, water pump, and issues with the radio. I feel this has stood up pretty good as I am up in central Canada where the winters are severe. Always starts, biggest problem is lack of traction on snow and ice. I am trading it in on a Freestar Limited.
  • conkoconko Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Aerostar AWD. When driving slowly, there is a definite "pull-to-the- right-then-return-to-the -left" action that is very pronounced in the steering wheel. It feels as though the wheel lug bolts are actually loose (however they are tight. As I increase speed that action seem to smooth out but a slight vibration is felt.

Could the Trans Axle cause this because I also hear a "growling" of the front end when I turn sharply to the right!
  • sfrensfren Posts: 8
    After having my 93 Aerostar (3.0) in the shop replacing front pads and rear wheel cylinders the Rear ABS light and the other dash warning light for the brakes (emergency brake warning light) are lit and do not go out. I took it back to the shop but they were of no help. Live in the Bahamas so it is hard to find a good shop. Are there any ways to reset these warning lights?
  • Looking for low mileage Aerostar with 4.0 engine. Extended length. 1996 or 1997. Central or S. Florida areas.
  • brendonbrendon Posts: 1
    Hi first time poster. I have a 4.0 1990. When its cold it won't shift out of 1st (its an automatic) and races if you run it over 20-25 mph. Its an old vehicle but only has 50k on it and seems overall in good shape. bot it about 2 weeks before this started up. Sounds like trans but had a friend go over it and looks to be in good condition so he thinks is a sensor any advice. Dont want to just take it to a shop where they will look for every little thing and charge accordingly.

Thanks,
    Brendon
    Portland Oregon
  • 12shield12shield Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 94, the problem comes from moisture getting to the the distributor cap and ignition wires. Your brother needs a tune-up, Get prepared for about 3 hours of knuckle busting work but it will be worth it. Until then spray "wire dry" on the cap and on as many wires as you can get to, it will put a protective coating on them. :shades:
  • bobbym1bobbym1 Posts: 1
    I have an '87 aerostar and recently installed new brakes and master cylinder. After driving about 5 miles it felt like the emergency brake was on and i started smelling burning brakes. Pulled over , called the mechanic and he came out and bled the brakes a bit and they released. Everything seemed fine for about 2 more miles, then again same thing. He says that hes never heard of this and doesnt know why they would do that. Any ideas anybody? I really need some help here. :-) Thanks!
    Stuck in Clairemont
  • jsambo1jsambo1 Posts: 2
    I have a 93 aerostar with 116k miles but no airconditioning and I live in north carolina. I had it converted to the new coolant but it stopped working the next year and was diagnosed with the "black death". I laughed until the mechanic said it would cost $2000 to have all of the hoses blown out and replaced to fix the problem. I had another mechanic confirm that there was such a thing as"black death" that afflicted aerostar airconditioning systems. Has anyone ever dealt with such a plague and can you tell me how to get around this problem without paying such a ransom. I drove last year without air but the lack of rear windows makes opening the windows less than a useful alternative.
    thank you
  • leftys7leftys7 Posts: 2
    After 9/11 I went to the airport and they were searching the trunks of all vehicles. They opened the tailgate of my Aerostar XL and opened the two floor storage compartments and told me"Did you know that these are filled with water?" I didn't. The floor rug from mid third seat to the rear tailgate was soaked. Luckily I live in a dry climate, northern Nevada, but after a rain I find it still gets soaked. I drilled two holes in the floor of the jack well and leave the plug out on the other side. I've checked it myself and had my mechanics check it by sitting inside and having it sprayed with a hose but we cannot find a source for the leak. Any ideas? I don't want to take off all the interior panels and will probably just live with it if I can't figure out the source.
  • fordfan4fordfan4 Posts: 2
    My mo had a 88 ford aerostar van and i loved it the thing had way over 200,000 miles on it and still had the original engine and transmission and its been to las vegas and back twice in it and i live in Louisiana and we only had 3 problems with it the whole time we had it and it was the ignition module went out 2 times on it but it was an easy repair all we had to do was take the cover off the back of the engine from the inside and there it was then one of the power steering hoses broke and that was it and this van never hesitated to start and we could still spin the tires on it lol if i was u id buy another used aerostar
  • Does anyone know the kind of Light A '95 Aerostar takes for a Parking Light/ Turn Signal? Bought mine and it was broken, and I really need to replace it.
  • ncposeyncposey Posts: 1
    I also have a 97 Aerostar it only has 180,000. Some one rearended it last week an the insurance company says it is totaled. they say it is only worth 3000.00 but I can't find one for that amount. This is my 3rd Aerostar and I think they are great dependable vans. We had planned to use this one for at least 2 more years.
  • aeronut1aeronut1 Posts: 1
    Have a 94 4.0L AWD (bad tranny) and a 93 3.0L RWD (bad engine). Can I swap the 3.0L engine for the 4.0L?
  • rileyjamesrileyjames Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering buying a 1993 Ford Aerostar XLT 4WD Extended Passenger model. It has less than 100,000 miles on is going for $2400obo. It's in great shape, has one owner, and owner has all of the service records. Does Anyone know anything about this particular model is it very reliable? I used to own a 1992 Ford Taurus wagon and that thing was a money pit. I'm a little leery about buying a Ford but I hear Aerostars are pretty good vehicles. By the way, it also comes with the towing package. Does anyone know what the '93 towing package consists of? If I buy it I'm considering adding a tranny cooler, and an engine cooler. But if the towing package comes with those items I won't.
    Thanks for your help!
  • carter3carter3 Posts: 17
    I own a 93 Aerostar with 246000 mi. It is has a 3.0 liter w\auto. I had to purchase this vehicle because my Taurus died last year. The Aerostar had a lot of problems due to owner not caring. I had to replace the coil and ignation module to get it running. Both heater cores leaked so I disconnected both and by passed the front one. Ford wants over $70 each for the heater hoses and $60 for the front heater core, forget that ! The Ford heater hoses and core have those stupid quick disconnects on them. I went to Autozone and purchased a front heater core w\o the connectors for $26 and installed regular 5\8 in heater hose, it works just great. Auto zone carries the rear heater core, so I removed the factory hoses that run under the vehicle and replace them with regular heater hoses. I had to use two plastic "t's " to splice in the rear heater . It is a hard job, but take your time, it works great at about 1\3 the cost of using the Ford parts. I also discovered that a starter for a Mazda truck with the same engine costs $20 less than one listed for the van and it is the same part!!! The rear spark plugs can be removed and installed by reaching over the top of the engine and using a 1 in extinsion, again it is hard so you have to take your time. You can find many Aerostars in the Pick and Pull yard near your home, so parts are out there. I noticed that nobody wants to replace the engine because Ford recommends that the front sub frame be unbolted and the body raised. I have seen how engines are pulled at the yard, it can be removed if you take off the hood, grill, radiator, bumper and other various parts. So my engine will be replaced this summer, my red neck friends will help. I also have changed my headlights to the sealed beam set up off of a '90 and used the solid amber front turn signal lens, the original plastic headlights were cloudy and looked terrible. got to go now I'll check this site in a few days. NBC.
  • kencinflkencinfl Posts: 2
    Heya, I have a '95 Aerostar, big 6 cycl, auto (naturally). Getting some hesitation under acceleration...seemingly more during day than at night, but intermittent and unpredictable. My little hand-held computer gives me codes 116 (Eng.Coolant Sensor), 157 (MAF sensor voltage too low), 158 (MAF sensor voltage too high) <--- very odd, I know they contradict but it read those to me. Now, about 6 months ago I had a terrible time with extreme hesitation...so much so I couldn't go over 10mph. This happened just after I changed the alternator so I though maybe I messed up the computer and it had to take it's time to re-learn the engine. Not so (I think). It was my MAF sensor just on top of the air intake piece coming off of the air filter. Discovered this by sheer circumstance so don't read into that brilliant diagnosis. Very accessible, but funky screws (just took a hacksaw and cut a notch so flathead screwdriver would work fine). I took out the sensor and cleaned it very delicately with carb cleaner. Worked great...drove great. But now it appears to have come back, a bit differently and possibly not quite the same...but I re-cleaned it (delicately) anyway with no results. It stumbles on acceleration but then catches up and runs fine until the next episode...the check engine light comes on but then it appears to correct itself...the light goes off and no problems...until next episode. And again, more so during day than night. Could it be my MAF sensor? ECT sensor? <--- day vs. night as mentioned above, or any Wires? Anger of the Gods? I replaced my fuel filter about 2 years ago...don't live in an extreme environment but anything is possible.
    Next issue: My water temp guage fluctuates between the the letters of the word NORMAL...from O/R up to the beginning of the M and back down...almost as if my thermostat is opening and closing while I'm watching it...I recently put some stop leak in it because of a tiny little leak. Is the stop leak gummying up my thermostat? Any ideas?
    With limited funds and limited experience with a voltmeter...how can I figure out what is wrong? This just suddenly appeared and put a cloud on my week.
    Anyone who can help me on my stumbling problem and fluctuating temp guage problem...please respond.
    Help me!
  • kencinflkencinfl Posts: 2
    Yes...sorry for reply delay as I just saw your post (mine is dated 5-10-05,,,first time posting). I had to replace my left front light and lens (fender-bender). No auto parts people sell the lens as it is a dealer part, with the normal heavy price. So I went to a junk yard (when I replaced my alternator) and they simply pulled me a left front lens (and the alternator). It was very easy to replace as you simply unscrew the chrome strip frame and, pull off the old lens, replace the bulb (common part at parts stores or walmart), install the new lens, and screw it all back in. The lens was less than $40 but the actual price may vary from yard to yard. Don't go dealer...go junk yard if you can.
    If it is the wrap-around amber/clear light lens then go to a junk yard. If it is the actual little bulb you need then go to auro parts place...go to the bulbs section and look it up in the book they have...it is a very inexpensive and common part.
    KenCinFL
    First, the quality of the computer you used should be questioned, because you receive two different codes,I suggest that you have the computer scanned by some one with a more complex scanner . Some machinics may charge up to $40 to do so with out repairs. Clearing the codes can be a process of elimination since one sensor can and will effect others. Remember, to clear the codes, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Also clean the battery cables ends, this can effect the computer. I also have to work on a budget, some times you have to bite the bullet and spend the money on quality parts and mechanics. I have learned to buy Ford or Napa electrical parts, I can't afford to be stranded because I wanted to save $ for the cheaper stuff. Also my Aerostar temp guage flexes like yours, it is normal because of the therostat opening.Watch the guage closely. As long as it stays in the norman range its ok. Please don't use stop leak for a perment fix, find the leak and take care of it properly, if you plan to keep the vehicle it is worth it.
    I own a '93 w\ 3.0 litre and automatic, the vehicle has 248000 miles. The problem is that there is a transmission leak somewhere. I cleaned underneath real good, but I can not locate the leak.I removed the dust cover to the torque converter and checked both front and rear seal,both are clean and dry, some of the pan bolts were a little lose so I tightened them up,and drove it for a few days but still it leaks. I am sure that it is the trans because I have to add fluid every few days, all the other fluids are full and checked regularly. Where else can I check ? The trans was rebuilt about nine months ago. If anyone has a suggestins I would appricate it. I will check back in a few days. Thanks.
  • bajabobbajabob Posts: 2
    Had this problem before. Engine cutting out going uphill in high gear at 50 mph+. Warm or cold. Runs great when it is flat. Changed fuel filter, had fuel pump checked, new O2, new plugs, ran a ODB test and found nothing.
    Last time this happened, I took the car to a mechanic he told me he only checked the fuel pump pressure. It was fine. The problem went away for 18 months for no known reason we can pinpoint. Now it is back.
    If I turn off overdrive and put the gas pedal nearly to the floor to rev up the engine on the freeway, it runs fine. It almost seems like the engine is flooding.
    Are there any sensors that sense whether the van is level? I can't tell if the car is flooding or starving.
    A FORD Dealer mechanic wanted to change the plugs for $500.00. I had just changed them.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • plowboy34plowboy34 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the expansion valve is on a 93 A/Star??
    I told that it's complicated to swap a RWD to an AWD because the sensors, transmission housing, computer chips (93 vs 94, 3.0 L vs 4.0 L). If I were you sale the 93 and get a rebuil AWD transmission (around $700) plus labor.
    HIH,
    Mariot
    Have you check the transmission fluid level?
    Mariot
This discussion has been closed.