Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving our Drivers, Roads, Speed Limits and Enforcement

2»

Comments

• vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    For each stretch of road, speed limits should be determined at the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic, and these limits must be assessed periodically.

It is as simple as that. With technological improvements, the limits can go up. With dumb drivers content on yapping on their cell phones, the limits can move down.

However, real life is NOT that simple! :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,562
    "The basic speed law in California does not say you are guilty just because you were over the limit as long as your speed was safe and prudent for the conditions. On the other hand, in California if the officer used radar and the prosecution cannot justify the posted limit, the officer violated the law by using an illegal speed trap," said Geo. "

Fighting the Tickets for Revenue Scam (Straightline)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    There's a slippery slope though - proving to the judge that your speed in excess of the posted limit was "safe and prudent". Would I want to waste a day of my vacation time from work to pursue that defense? Probably not unless it was going to raise my insurance rates.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Talk Back Tuesday: Top 10 Differences Between German and American Drivers (Karl on Cars)

May as well spoil it - you know what the #1 is:

SLOW TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,722
    Fun article

In Europe, LLCing is seen as a social taboo rather than a god-given right.

Lots of well-hidden cops in Germany though, especially in urban areas...they blend in more than those in NA. The speed trap mentality isn't as big, enforcement actually centers around problem areas rather than revenue enhancers.

The roads are vastly superior, but that's one reason fuel costs twice as much. The US would have to tax fuel similarly to avoid the second world conditions which are quickly approaching :sick:
    I think what we will ultimately see is these mileage-based charges for registration renewal be put into effect, while KEEPING the existing fuel tax, thereby raising revenue generation to the point where it is enough to properly maintain the roads.

I have NO HOPE that there will ever be enough popular support for improving driver training in the U.S. to actually make it happen. LLC will continue to be the norm.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,722
    I can see revenue generation being raised by some kind of mileage scheme...but where the revenues go, I am not so sure. We might all pay more to get the same, or even less. There's a lot of catch-up work to be done before the roads are in a state where they can be maintained to a competent level.

I agree about the driver training. This is, after all, the land of the lowest common denominator :lemon:
    edited June 2010
    GMAC Insurance Survey Finds 38 Million Drivers Unfit for Roads (Edmunds Daily)

Green is good; red is bad.

I got a 90 on the quiz. Can I keep my license?! :-P

I am amused to see this is one of the few places that California comes up red. But California drivers being unfit to drive more than the average doesn't surprise me at all.....

Not all that topical, but it's a cool photo and I didn't know of a better place to put it.

Pacific Coast Highway Turns More Pacific Than Highway, Collapses Near Big Sur (Straightline)

"Adapting a program they run successfully in Europe, Mercedes-Benz is bringing the Mercedes-Benz Academy teen driving program to the U.S. And while well-to-do teenagers hopefully thumb the keys to daddy's Benz dreaming of pulling off moves like Dan Edmunds (above), the course is actually an accredited instruction course with driving instruction that eclipses the basic requirements of the DMV."

Mercedes-Benz Offering Teen Driving Academy in the U.S. (Straightline)

2»