Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Sienna

2»

Comments

• nobonobo Posts: 305
    47 mpg in a 4000# plus package is an engineering challenge with current technology.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..engineering challenge.."

Not really, if marketing would just stop "selling" based on 0-60MPH......
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's true...my van does 0-60 quicker than some muscle cars did back in the 70s. I have no real need for that, though I'll take it so long as the tall gearing keeps mileage up.

Still, you wonder what they could do if it has a small engine and tall gearing.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    Marketing sells 0-60MPH because people buy 0-60MPH. Marketing's job is to figure out what people are looking for and tailor the product selling points to what the customers want. Selling underpowered vehicles with excellent fuel economy is a hard sale and unless gas prices go to the stratosphere, an ineffective sales pitch.

The fuel economy is ultimately a trade off on safety. All the structure and equipment used to make crashes more survivable add weight and that weight requires more power to get moving. Having more power means using more fuel and unless you are willing to accept taking 30+s at full throttle to get to 60MPH, you aren't going to achieve 40+ MPG in a 2 ton package at the current tech level. Around here that leisurely acceleration even on surface roads will get you rear ended before a week is out.
  • yeppersyeppers Posts: 3
    Can only do so much in a minivan. That is why it is called a minivan. Get a GM or Ford van like the Savanna or E-series for more room and such. Custom order them.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    AS you may already be well aware there are numerous FWD vehicles in the market today with engines rated above 200HP that automatically detuned/derate the engine in the lower gear ranges, some quite RADICALLY with wheelspin/slip, otherwise the insurance companies would probably step up and "outlaw" FWD and F/awd altogether.
  • My wife and I purchased a 2010 Sienna today, and are wondering if anyone knows if an Ipod 's menus can be accessed through the Nav screen when plugged into the Aux input? The salesman at the dealer did not know.
  • aux port only sends audio signals.
    it doesn't control nor charge the ipod.
2»
This discussion has been closed.