Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 GRAND CARAVAN/T&C FEED BACK

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    As long as it is at or under the max PSI rating of the tire, it will not hurt the tires any. Higher pressure will result in better fuel economy, but also will transmit more of the "road" through to the inside of the vehicle. It is really a matter of finding a balance that works best for you. I tend to run my van at 40 psi.
  • etpetp Posts: 153
    Ditto // good advice // run your tires at the max cold sidewall PSI rated if you want the best MPG. Then as you get more data points adjust to suite your driving needs. On bumpy roads you would be better off at 38 PSI. If you do HWY driving on a smooth road then do what you need to do to get your best MPG. I can only speak for myself and no one else. I always run at the max PSI except my Prius which is 51PSI on the side wall. I am running 44-46 PSI on smooth roads only. This is strictly a personal preference and I can not tell you what you need to do. If you are overly concerned then run them at the door jam pressures.
    I have developed a minor sliding door issue on the drivers side. Sometimes it refuses to auto close and I have to manually close it. Intermittent at best. It seemed worse when I was parked on an incline at staples on saturday. Still not bad enough to take it to the dealer until my next oil change.

Still a very nice van in all respects.
  • oldold Posts: 13
    Etp,

we have that sliding door issue too, actually, ours is, when parked on an incline, when we auto open it, the door will open to the max point, and the motor will start to click for a few seconds and stop. it's as if the motor is still trying to open the door. This happened since day 1. We haven't taken it back to the dealer yet, but will do that before the 36K warranty is up.

Also, we're at 6K miles and the oil light is up again requiring the change. If that thing shows up at 9K, I'll be pissed, since the manual states change every 6K, not 3K.
    Old
    Mine is working for the moment. However my daughters TC 4.0 6 speed is in the shop for a final output shaft bearing. It was shifting fine and just had a beaing noise.
    Just got back from Disney and we managed 25.5 MPG going down and 27.4 coming back. Still getting 23.2 in mixed driving. My daughters transmission was fixed and they have their van back. I am down to my last free oil change and will try 0W40 probably in January. A small plastic flange on the botton of the plastic surround on the drivers seat broke and is on back order. I forget to get the sliding doors checked as I was in a hurry.

I hope the transmission problem on my daughters van was a fluke as mine is running very well at this time.
    UPDATE//my MPG is starting to creap up again and I have no idea why that is!

Sliding door is noisy but ok! If you turn the key off you may not get proper sliding door operation. I still think this is the best van so far on the market! Time will tell.

Seat is fixed and my daughters trans is fine so far.
  • qwikdripqwikdrip Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    My wife is only getting 11-12 MPG locally with our 25th Anniversary 3.8. She uses it with 2 cars seats and a double stroller. Anyone else having similiar MPG problems? Any suggestions as to what my options might be? Please let me know. Thanks.
    Check your air at 40PSI or max cold inflation pressure.
    Air filter
    I just switched over to 0w40 Mobile 1 oil and my mileage is up
    Don't know about the 3.8 as I have a 4.0 with the 6 speed.
    With very heavy stop and go city driving that may be right.
    Short trips, significant idling (such as warming up the vehicle before heading out), and stop/go, will wreak havoc on mileage. When my wife used our '98 DGC w/ 3.8L in the winter time, 13 mpg was not uncommon even with relatively long trips simply because the 10-15 minutes she let the van warm up before loading up the kids would offset any gains made down the road. :sick:
  • Thanks for your advice & comments. My wife uses van back and forth to school, about 3 miles each way in minimal stop and go traffic. I'm very disappointed in her MPG, I expected alot better.
    Three miles isn't much, so that will certainly affect the performance - especially if there are not longer trips mixed in. When my wife uses our new Forester primarily to take our son to school (which is probably 4 miles), she gets as low as 18-19 mpg.... for a four cylinder manual, that's pretty bad. :cry: In comparison, we get better than 30 on 60mph highway trips.

Translating to your situation, that van would likely break 20mpg without a problem if you ran it on the highway for a tank.
  • bhs3bhs3 Posts: 1
    My 09 town & country transmission went up yesterday with only 10k miles. Good thing is it is under warranty. Anyone else with this problem? looking through the post it doesn't look like there are to many issues. What a sad day.
  • Just hit 10K last Sunday. No problem yet. (09 T&C 4.0) finger crossed.
  • oldold Posts: 13
    Just wanted to update:
    We're at about 11K right now. The Nav system and VES system stopped working. the screen was blank, so that left my wife with no radio, CD, DVD (ie. music, movie), or any controls you would do with the NAV screen. Took it to the dealer and they did fix (not replaced) the NAV system. She got the van back in 24hours, but they didn't explain what the problem was.
    Besides that, my wife says the Van is driving fine with no issues.
    My daughters T&C had the same issue with the 4.0 6 speed. Mine works fine at 30K///4.0 6 speed.
  • I have a 2008 T & C Touring with the 3.8, 45,000 miles, 3 car seats, one double stroller. My wife and I consistently get 21 mpg in combination driving, and 25-27 on strictly highway driving. We drive the speed limit, so we're not just poking along. These vehicles are heavy, and city driving will devour gas if the van is not driven smartly. If I'm gonna catch a light, have a turn coming up, or going downhill, I let the van coast some and can maintain most of that speed easily. That saves gas. We don't make jack rabbit starts in city driving since that drinks gas. I'm amazed at how many drivers do that, race from redlight to redlight, burning gas and then wearing out the brakes. Anyway, that's all we do, no special tricks, and the van gas mileage is the same week in, week out. On a side note, my brakes are fine, no problems, because of how we drive it. If it wanted to wear the brakes out, that would be easy. Good luck !!
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    edited March 2010
    I posted the following question on the "Chrysler T&C/Dodge Grand Caravan brakes" back in mid-February. Didn't get an answer, so thought I'd try here (sorry for double posting):

Any idea as to whether Chrysler has found the cause of the premature brake wear issue on its minivans, and fixed the problem on current 2010 production models?
    We have not had any reports on this thread for the 2009 year.
  • I bought my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan in December 2008. It was a slight used 2009 model. We are now about to put the 3rd set of brakes on the van. They wear out in just a few months. I drive 47 miles one way, 5 days a week mostly on the interstated. Suggestions as to how we get it to stop wearing out brakes? I was told by a man at the auto parts store that this problem is very common with this vehicle. He said I should be prepared to replace them about every 35,000 miles. :mad:
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Actually, I wouldn't be too upset getting 35k out of the brakes. That's about what we get with our '96 T&C LXi. But owners of '08 models have complained all over the Internet of getting less than 15k, and Chrysler doesn't pay for the first repair because it is beyond the 12k/12 month warranty and is considered a wear and tear item (although there are testimonials among many who got C to cough up a refund after loudly complaining). If the problem is indeed fixed on '10 models, we would definitely be interested in getting one. Thanks for the replies.
  • We have had some major problems with the transmission on our 2009 T&C. Last June, when it was about 6-8 weeks old, a thrust bearing broke in the transmission while we were vacationing in Florida. They fixed that while we were down there. It had been running okay since, but yesterday the van would not move and we had it towed to the dealer. He said that something has come apart in the transmission (he didn't even bother to take it apart to look inside), and they are going to replace the entire transmission. We'll see how it runs when we get it back tomorrow.

We really like how the van rides and all the conveniences that it has in it. But these transmission problems have us worried. I am glad that there is a lifetime powertrain warranty on this model/year.
    edited March 2010
    My son's 2000 TC limted brakes are even worse.
    edited March 2010
    quote///We have had some major problems with the transmission on our 2009 T&C. Last June, when it was about 6-8 weeks old, a thrust bearing broke in the transmission while we were vacationing in Florida. They fixed that while we were down there. It had been running okay since, but yesterday the van would not move and we had it towed to the dealer. He said that something has come apart in the transmission (he didn't even bother to take it apart to look inside), and they are going to replace the entire transmission. We'll see how it runs when we get it back tomorrow.

We really like how the van rides and all the conveniences that it has in it. But these transmission problems have us worried. I am glad that there is a lifetime powertrain warranty on this model/year. ///quote

My daughters TC did the same and the mechanic replaced several items in the transmission and seems to be ok now. What engine and transmission do you have?

My GC is perfect so far with the same setup.
  • We have the 4.0 L engine with the 6 speed automatic. We just got the van back now and the service advisor said something came apart in the "Rear Planetary". Hopefully this will cure our problems.
  • Just took 2010 Dodge GC. On my first long trip MPG 26.6 on 70 MPH and my best result is 27 MPG on 65 MPH. Now van has 1500 miles and MPG will be better soon
    edited April 2010
    Me and my daughter bought our 4.0/6 speed at the same time and her T&C had the tranny problem and my GC has had none so far. Seems the T&C assembly run at a particular time period had problems.

Strange!
    25.8 on this trip. 16.4-18.6 in city driving. Trans is ok so far!

Anyone think its time to stock up on brake rotors and pads?
    Dealers are selling oil change packages from $15 to $9 per change depending on how many you buy.. Good deal folks.
  • smitty1829smitty1829 Posts: 1
    We have recently bought a 2008 T&C with the VES dual screen system. I have, on two occations, the VES DVD go to sleep. That is no power lights at all. Then after an undermined amount of time, it comes back. The first time I think it was the next day. The second time took nearly a week. I had an appointment at the dealer to look at it but low and behold it started working again. I asked if there was a software or firmware upgrade but was told not for that DVD and to bring it in if it happens again. I guess maybe there is an update for the DVD behind the display on the dash. Has anyone seen this? We are trying to determine if it is DVD related (new or used) but I don't think that's it.
    Thanks
    Smitty :confuse: