Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Water Leaks

2»

Comments

• Have a 2005 Jeep Grand, 5.7 Hemi, fully loaded, all the bells and whistles. Continual problem with the sunroof drains getting clogged. Had them flushed by the dealer and it only lasts for a while and then the problem comes back again and again and again... Very annoying since the water drains down the pillars on the pass side and the floor gets soaked. Now my question is what else is being damaged behind the dash that we cannot see???? Just recently my diagnostics panel has been what appears to be glitching. Hit a pothole the other night and something bizare happened; every light that could possibly come on, came on. Not only did the lights come on the dash but they began flashing along with my headlights! Ever try driving in the dark with headlights flashing?! So, wondering if the water could have damaged some of the electrical components behind the dash? Took the Jeep in for this problem and they could not get it to repeat the problem. They tell me that I have 20 different codes in this particular vehicle....
  • I experienced the same problem with my father's 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Water leaking onto the passenger floor during a rain storm. I traced it to the drain tube for the sun roof that runs down behind the interior trim on the passenger's side A-pillar. It was broken and all the water draining from around the sunroof was running down inside that trim, through the dash and onto the floor. The tube is made of very brittle plastic. It cracks and breaks off with only minor effort. I went to Home Depot and got some clear vinyl tubing and replaced the broken part.
  • dmv5dmv5 Posts: 1
    Hey saw your post my grandfather has a 2004 grand Cherokee Laredo and when he makes a left turn in rain you hear water splashing on something then water drips in from under the glove box. I looked for that drainage line next to the heater core lines and I can not find it. If you can help it would be great thanks.
  • Over the past couple of months, every time it rains, my Jeep Cherokee will have standing water on the floor board under the drivers seat and the driver floorboard. If it rains hard, it can be a significant amount but the problem is that I cannot see anywhere it is dripping so I have to assume it is leaking behind he trim where the drivers set belt is mounted and coming out at the bottom. I am guessing this becuase that is where he most water accumulates. Any ideas on what might be causing it or how I can check any drain lines that might run in that area??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Hi; My Jeep has the exact same symptoms. Did they ever fix yours? Thanks.
  • misterp1misterp1 Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Hi, I have a 98 Regular Cherokee and same problem. Unlike other posts, mine DOES NOT leak due to the a/c or defrost. It will leak:
    1) When it's parked
    2) Front end facing uphill (it won't do it if it's facing downhill)
    3) When it Rains.
    4) Passenger side only.
    The amount of water is only limited by what the passenger floor will hold! It started doing it in 2010 after no problems in the past.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a tube leading to the firewall and something rusted through. Anyone know what to do?
  • I HAVE A 2011 GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED, HAD A RECENT WATER LEAK TO THE FRONT PASSENGER FLOOR AREA, HAD IT FIX DEALER SAID IT WAS A KINK IN THE DRAIN TUBE, NOW I HAVE WATER IN THE ROOF WHICH YOU CAN HEAR SLOOSHING WHENEVER THE CAR ACCELERATES OR STOPS. MY CONCERN IS RUST EVENTUALLY. ANY SUGGESTIONS,? THE CAR IS GOING BACK TO THER DEALER.
  • joe1147joe1147 Posts: 1
    The carpet on the drivers side floor has started getting wet after a rain. I am original owner and this has started in the last 8 months. Looked at the ideas offered here. This is not an AC problem. Looked at seals on doors and sun roof, they look good. Tried to check any drain channels for clogging, found nothing, but could be missing correct drains. Floor carpet is wet but not down sides of foot area so I don't have a direction that the water is coming from, didn't find any drains in the engine compartment. This is an 8 cylinder. Any other driver side wet solutions out there? Thanks.
  • oneiwillieoneiwillie Posts: 1
    Have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler with issues of water leaks that sounds like bath water being thrown out. After a heavy rain when I take off and make a turn either left or right, water falls out from under the dash onto my feet. It's not happening on the passenger side only the driver side. There is no air conditioning. Any suggestions?? We put a new soft top on it late last fall and that is doing well, noisy but it's okay, no leaks. We also had a problem with it overheating. We replaced the thermostat, water pump, a small module on the water pump, then checked out the heater core, replaced the thermostat again (found out it was defective) and now I barely have any heat. The thermostat will register 150 to 195 and drops back down to 150 again. It's not overheating anymore, but I would like to have heat for the upcoming fall and winter.
  • jenbotjenbot Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited, I bought it used and every time it rains the floor on the drivers side becomes flooded, I am stumped as to where the water is coming from. I've looked for any drips or visable water leaking from inside, but I can't find any. Help please.
  • jwatts26jwatts26 Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this issue corrected/find what was holding the water? My 2011 has just started doing the same thing. I am taking it to dealer tomorrow.
  • sms8sms8 Posts: 1
    Saw your posts. Had a friend with a similar issue. He determined it was one (or usually more) of four issues. All are known issues per Jeep TSB's and semi related.

1) Sunroof ECU settings. The sunroof would accidently "close" at the incorrect level -- too low by up to a quarter inch. This can be solved by manually adjusting each time when you close it or paying to have someone reset the sunroof setings.

2) The roof rail has a known issue of potential water seepage at the screw points due to lost tightness. This can be solved by greasing or tightening the affected areas.

3) The door seals will eventually wear down/suffer leakage. This can be solved by replacing the door seals.

4) JGC's have a known drain tube issue whereby they get kinked, clogged or otherwise cannot handle the amount of water. This compounds issue 1 - 3 if present and can be fixed by having a mechanic fix as this does require the headliner to be removed to work on.

The key is get it addressed ASAP though. The leak typically runs down the A-pillar to the floor, but on the way passes the ECL housings... so it can short your fuses or do worse damage which will cost larger dollars if this occurs.
  • hello, same thing happened to my Grand Jeep Cherokee 2005 5.7L...turned out to be a computer problem where the room did not close all of the way. The rubber seal flap that shifts to different positions according to when you open or close the sunroof failed to go into the correct position when you would close it. The computer glitch was fixed by the dealership and the flap now closes correctly...no water any more. But, I went through the same issues...thought it was the drain tubes, thought it was the windshield seal, etc. Hope this helps.
  • btjeep95btjeep95 Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with my 03 grand cherokee. Did you find a solution? Or the source of the leak? I can't figure it out. Thanks.
  • I took the Jeep to my local dealer and they pulled out the seats, carpet and padding. They then put it in their car wash and found a few leaks and patched them. They repeated this cycle at least 3 times and now it is dry. I bought new padding (it was moldy) and carpet. The whole effort cost about $1000. A real pain in the butt.

Some were around the windshield. Others right through body welds. I do not have all details but it was worth it. That soggy carpet may be why someone traded the Jeep at a Toyota dealer.
  • zytoszytos Posts: 1
    edited February 19

Any idea what the cause of this leak is? Water beads up under the temperate/compass screen console in a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and drips down below. Additionally, the passenger side floor is frequently soaked. Are these two separate leaks, or one?

There is a sunroof.

Thanks.

2»