Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Water Leaks

2»

Comments

• jwatts26jwatts26 Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this issue corrected/find what was holding the water? My 2011 has just started doing the same thing. I am taking it to dealer tomorrow.
  • sms8sms8 Posts: 1
    Saw your posts. Had a friend with a similar issue. He determined it was one (or usually more) of four issues. All are known issues per Jeep TSB's and semi related.

1) Sunroof ECU settings. The sunroof would accidently "close" at the incorrect level -- too low by up to a quarter inch. This can be solved by manually adjusting each time when you close it or paying to have someone reset the sunroof setings.

2) The roof rail has a known issue of potential water seepage at the screw points due to lost tightness. This can be solved by greasing or tightening the affected areas.

3) The door seals will eventually wear down/suffer leakage. This can be solved by replacing the door seals.

4) JGC's have a known drain tube issue whereby they get kinked, clogged or otherwise cannot handle the amount of water. This compounds issue 1 - 3 if present and can be fixed by having a mechanic fix as this does require the headliner to be removed to work on.

The key is get it addressed ASAP though. The leak typically runs down the A-pillar to the floor, but on the way passes the ECL housings... so it can short your fuses or do worse damage which will cost larger dollars if this occurs.
  • hello, same thing happened to my Grand Jeep Cherokee 2005 5.7L...turned out to be a computer problem where the room did not close all of the way. The rubber seal flap that shifts to different positions according to when you open or close the sunroof failed to go into the correct position when you would close it. The computer glitch was fixed by the dealership and the flap now closes correctly...no water any more. But, I went through the same issues...thought it was the drain tubes, thought it was the windshield seal, etc. Hope this helps.
  • btjeep95btjeep95 Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with my 03 grand cherokee. Did you find a solution? Or the source of the leak? I can't figure it out. Thanks.
  • I took the Jeep to my local dealer and they pulled out the seats, carpet and padding. They then put it in their car wash and found a few leaks and patched them. They repeated this cycle at least 3 times and now it is dry. I bought new padding (it was moldy) and carpet. The whole effort cost about $1000. A real pain in the butt.

Some were around the windshield. Others right through body welds. I do not have all details but it was worth it. That soggy carpet may be why someone traded the Jeep at a Toyota dealer.
  • zytoszytos Posts: 1
    edited February 19

Any idea what the cause of this leak is? Water beads up under the temperate/compass screen console in a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and drips down below. Additionally, the passenger side floor is frequently soaked. Are these two separate leaks, or one?

There is a sunroof.

Thanks.

2»