Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Power Steering Noise

167891012»

Comments

• byntymebyntyme Posts: 2

Also, I reported this complaint to http://www.nhtsa.gov/

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005

I've posted my information for Amber N. from GM Customer Care on December 1, 2013 and I still have not seen an email or phone call. Amber. Please contact me.

Hi jqurick,

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner! If you are still experiencing vehicle issues, please feel free to forward your information to our inbox, as well as a few more details of what it is you are experiencing. I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• 2008 Buick enclave 90,xxx Miles.. gotta replace my rack and pinion... 1200 dollars later

• mwagar1271mwagar1271 Posts: 1

2008 Enclave; $81,000 miles. Have to replace rack...$1,571. This seems to be a common problem on this thread, so is GM doing anything about it? Does GM offer to pay the cost of parts for this?

• I'm filing a complaint on http://www.nhtsa.gov/ tonight when I get home. The rack and pinion had already been replaced when we bought my 2010 Buick Enclave last year at 45k miles. Now at 58k, exactly a year after we bought it we are having to replace the steering column. The dealership said the repair would cost $800 and was not completely neccesary to replace but reading here and on the safercar.gov website about complaints about this model I may have to because many said it started with the noise then moved to difficulty turning the wheel. I mean my water pump went out and there was a recall on it so I am sure that this will be an issue to. Seems to me like people are having an issue on this then there needs to be a recall.

My two children ride in my enclave daily, their safety is important to me.

• This just happened this morning to my 2008 Buick Enclave with 114,000 +/- miles.. My wife was driving it down and the power steering just went out. According to the dealership that I have taken it to. "The lost of steering was due to a catastrophic failure of the steering rack.". The seal at the end blew completely out.. Luckily she was driving in a straight line and approaching a stop sign when this happened. Can't imagine if this would have happened as she was driving 55 mph + down the highway. I don't even want to think about a head on collision or going around a curve and this happened, with the result of the car flipping or rolling over because of not being able to control the vehicle. As others have stated on this an other sits. I can not believe that GM hasn't fixed or recalled this issue. Maybe no one has died from this yet is the problem. This is my wife and two young son's everyday transport. I see Toyota is stepping up and fixing a problem with their vehicles suddenly shutting off while driving.. I think it's about time GM recognizes and rectifies the issue..

By the way the dealer has called and said $1,300 for the new rack and pinion as well.

Never had any oil under the vehicle (leakage) as it's parked in a garage every night no signs of oil usage just a catastrophic failure. Kind of like the time the computer, water pump and transmission all went out in the same day a few years back.. Again seems like a common thread on this and other sites

• kerrihkerrih Posts: 1

My 2010 Enclave power steering is leaking and needs replaced. So do my front struts. I found that there is a class action lawsuit against GM for faulty steering systems in GMC Acadia, Buick Enclaves and Chevrolet Traverse vehicles from 2009-2012 filed in April 2013. Does anyone know if there is an update on the lawsuit?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005

Hi kerrih,

We recognize your dissatisfaction with the power steering on your Buick Enclave and we would be more than happy look more into this matter for you. Can you please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage, and preferred dealership? We'd like to begin researching your concerns as soon as possible. If you'd like to email me, I can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please be sure to reference your screen name.

Thank you,

• lizeezlizeez Posts: 1

When it rains it pours! I took my 2008 Enclave in for new brakes & when I went to pick it up, they told me that I would not only need a new water pump (immediately!) and new struts, I would need to replace the whole steering system because of the power steering pump leaking.

My mechanic told me that I could possibly have everything cleaned & run a stop leak fluid through the power steering system to buy some time on replacing it. Has anyone heard of this working or should I just bite the bullet & get it in to do the whole thing right away?

The only reason I'm wondering which would be better is because we're planning on taking my car on a road trip to Florida in a month & I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road in the mountains if the power steering goes out.

Any help/insight would be appreciated!

• @gmcustsvc said: Hi kerrih,

We recognize your dissatisfaction with the power steering on your Buick Enclave and we would be more than happy look more into this matter for you. Can you please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage, and preferred dealership? We'd like to begin researching your concerns as soon as possible. If you'd like to email me, I can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please be sure to reference your screen name.

Thank you,

Amber,

What about the rest of us? We have concerns and issues with our vehicles. Issues that should be covered under a recall. How can you ignore the rest of us and single out one? I have tried calling the customer service line but it's busy (ALL THE TIME). I also emailed and never got a responce. This is unbelievable. Obviously most people get these type of vehicles because they have children, this is unsafe for them! Does someone have to die before GM adds this as a recall?

I'm expecting an answer, if you can not supply it send it high up! We are paying customers, most of us loyal for generations. Get it together and get back to us soon!

• Some of you probably already figured it out, I almost fell for it because of the whole GM.com email address, Amber is not legit. It you go to GM's website you can see that all brands have specific email related to the brand. Also, why would she ask for the vin number so she can look up recalls, that is give at a government website. Don't give that info out!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,742

@khrystallina said: Some of you probably already figured it out, I almost fell for it because of the whole GM.com email address, Amber is not legit

The customer service folks are legitimate. If you check, the group has a few thousand posts here on Edmunds. They also are reading and helping on some other websites.

Also, why would she ask for the vin number so she can look up recalls, that is give at a government website. Don't give that info out!

The VIN for a specific car tracks which, if any, recalls are available for that vehicle and tracks which have been performed. It's the same as stopping at your Chevy dealer and asking them to look up any open recalls for your 2012 Malibu sitting out in parking which would mean a general information lookup vs. having them take the specific vin from your Malibu and entering it into the computer system to see exactly what open recalls are there.

This message has been approved.

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,700

Thanks for your concern, but they are legitimate representatives.

@khrystallina said: Some of you probably already figured it out, I almost fell for it because of the whole GM.com email address, Amber is not legit. It you go to GM's website you can see that all brands have specific email related to the brand. Also, why would she ask for the vin number so she can look up recalls, that is give at a government website. Don't give that info out!

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,700

Stop leak only attempts to swell up the seals, and while it might work for a little bit, it generally will make the leak worse in a short time. You can try but don't get your expectations up too much and don't pay a lot to have it done.

@lizeez said: When it rains it pours! I took my 2008 Enclave in for new brakes & when I went to pick it up, they told me that I would not only need a new water pump (immediately!) and new struts, I would need to replace the whole steering system because of the power steering pump leaking.

My mechanic told me that I could possibly have everything cleaned & run a stop leak fluid through the power steering system to buy some time on replacing it. Has anyone heard of this working or should I just bite the bullet & get it in to do the whole thing right away?

The only reason I'm wondering which would be better is because we're planning on taking my car on a road trip to Florida in a month & I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road in the mountains if the power steering goes out.

Any help/insight would be appreciated!

• tedenclavetedenclave Posts: 1

Just purchased 2011 Enclave with 49K. At 54K I encountered the steering 'rubbing'. Took to the dealer and they told me it was a rubber bushing that was worn and needed to be replace to stop the noise. They said the material in the replacement part had been changed by GM and that this problem should not reoccur. This cost $225 and I was told that neither the dealer nor GM would help with the cost. They also said that this was just a noise issue and not a safety issue.

This looks like a common problem that could actually get worse. What is the status with GM on this problem? I actually saw a class action against GM but don't know much about it. What I really want to know is how to proceed. Thanks

167891012»