Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Power Steering Noise

Comments

• it is in the dealership now, repairs were to be done today..
  • They did fix my car on Monday of this week, and to my surprise they did pay for the repairs. I am happy that GM did stand up and take care of this problem, however I would really like to see them do a recall on this issue. When my power steering pump started having issues, it would totally stop working for a few seconds. The first time that issue happened I had 5 customers in the car with me turning out of a restaurant to a very busy street, and we were inches away from a bad wreck. To me these steering problems are a serious safety hazard, and should be replaced under a recall. Your transmission problems at 104K miles scare me, as I most likely put 150K miles on this car.
  • jacksparrow....we had trouble with our Enclave electrical system as a result of water saturation of a (GM Tech told us..) water-logged connector under passenger side floor mat. We live in Michigan and the car had been outdoors for several weeks in the snow and ice...freezing and thawing. Apparently the seal around the sun roof allowed moisture to seep into the sun roof drain channel which has a drain-line that sends moisture down "A" post and out...the drain either plugs or disconnects and allowed water into/around that connector. this causes lots of weird electrical stuff to happen. The DIC shut down...radio shut down...wipers failed...if shut engine off...would not re-start. Once the tech replaced the sun roof seal, dried out the connector...things were fine...BUT then when summer arrived, we were caught in a very heavy down-pour (rain) and it happened again...I took it back into the shop...they dried it out and put some "goopy" stuff on it and fiddled with the drain line...it's been over 9 months and things are fine. I just suggest checking this out as a solution...might be your problem.
    MIKE
  • Badgm1,

Have you gotten your Enclave back at this point? If so, how did the repairs go?

Happy Holidays,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I had the power sterring noise of my enclave 2008 right after a simple oil change at the dealership. well i left it alone for a bit but this noise was getting louder at times. i took my enclave back so they can take a look at it . come to find out it was some part in the wheel system. whats worse after they replaced a whole major part ,the noise was still there. left with frustration because after i explained on how this was not normal they brushed it off by saying u need to drive the vehicle for a while so the parts can lubricate. i even asked to see the oiginal part to make sure they did change it. there explaination was o we packed it up already to send it back to manufature. hmm didnt sound right. well next thing you know there was no change. i took my enclave to anothor gm service provideer explained what i was hearing and they took the time to listen. they even drove it around when i was there, something thery didnt do at the dealership. he knew what i was talking about .at coming back to pick up my car he said there were air pockets and not enough power sterring fluid and now it is running smoothly and quietly. he even let me know the wrong things the dealership did. he said when the dealership tech filled the power sterring fluid after changing the part they did not let it run to take out the air pockets it had. makes me wonder if it needed that major part in the first place. the problem with some ,they dont take the time to listen. im glad this other place did and fixed that problem. now i really hesitate to take it back for check ups at where i got the enclave. from one simple oil change to who nows if they messed up the powersterring over it.
  • I am glad to hear that you were able to have the noise taken care of in your Enclave, and sorry that your initial dealership experience was not satisfactory. Is the alternative service provider you went to convenient? If it's a GM dealership, any warranties on your vehicle would still be honored. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have worked for ford for 30 years and have seen too many problems,know i work for myself.This past year i worked on a few cobalts and 2 G6s,I have never seen so many issues in my life all the same prolems ,suspension,injectors power steeringnthese cars have 50000 to 85000 on them.I am working on an Enclave now it has 83,258 on it struts are gone,they leaked all over and links are shot,now it came back with traction,abs,and check engine light on and on start up internal engine rattle.I look for tsbs and there are at least 50 or more.I have seen Hondas and toyotas with 100,000 on them with still know problems.American companies are about bottom line not quality of car after 50,000.I drove ,Ford,chevy,and doge truuks,guss what I bought the toyota,guss what it has more American parts on it than the big 3,so whos the fool????It is very sad greed ruining are country and the consumer
  • crayjencrayjen Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I bought my 2008 Enclave in April of 2011, I know this sounds strange but we liked the wheels better than the big blingy ones on the newer models. HOWEVER, I'm thinking we need to get rid of it. The steering noises posted here are awful, and I have a loud whistling noise if the wind is blowing across the vehicle while running down the road. The 2/3/R ? plate in the transmission had to be replaced at 43,000, and I just got it back from the dealership yesterday because there was a leak in the evaporator core. AND of course the bumper to bumper, has expired, not because of miles, but because of time. Get in the car today and the driver side window doesn't work right, and the right side mirror doesn't either. Before this I drove a 2002 Chevy Venture, and didn't have a single problem until well after 100,000. I'm worried this is a piece of junk that I'm paying for every month!! NOT HAPPY! I'm going to try and call customer service today, but I'm not sure it will do any good?!? I have a cousin who was thinking about an Enclave...asked me what I thought, I honestly couldn't recommend an Enclave to anyone right now!
  • Customer Service will get you set up with a Service Request and will help you work through what options may be available. The first step in the process is going to be a visit to your dealership to have them diagnose what the cause of the concern is.

Please keep us posted as to your progress!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I know that I made a mistake with this car, and I am actively looking to replace it. I am going to take a bath on this car, as the trade in values are terrible. When I purchased this car in Oct of 2009 consumer reports recommended it, and they have now pulled that recommendation. While I was very happy that GM took car of the last repair, I am very much concerned about what will break next. The A/C has been making some noises and not working as good, so I am sure that will be a serious issue very soon. The transmission is now very slow to shift when the car is first used after a cold night. I have owned a lot of cars over the years, and I put a ton of miles on them for my field sales job. This car is by far the most comfortable and nice car that I have owned, however it is also the biggest lemon that I have ever owned.
  • I am reading this thread after finding out my 2009 Buick Enclave will have to have its rack & pinion replaced at 61,000 miles and out of warranty. My mechanic said this is a common problem with this model and there is no quality recall. It will cost me $1100. The local dealer has done 5 of these repairs in the last month. The power steering just started not working at low speeds. GM may be making a comeback but not with this customer.
  • I'm sorry to hear that the rack & pinion needs to be replaced on your Enclave.

If we can look into any additional options that may be available, please send us an email with more information (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails, will set up your Service Request and advise you further. We can't guarantee the results of this inquiry, but will be thorough in our investigation.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I guess I should have learned my lesson from my last 2002 Buick Rendezvous but i guess I am a die hard Buick fan! I bought a 2008 Buick Enclave 3 months ago with 116,000 miles on it 2 previous owners. Mileage has never bothered me if I figured it looked like it was maintained well by previous owners! After 3 months now I can say Great riding auto but seems like it has bugs in electrical and the same whinning power steering unit everyone else complains about! Yesterday I got inside auto and decided to get something from back seat and I could not open door power door locks would not operate until I started car then radio went crazy with no display but played fine. First I thought battery went dead but it started fine! Next day my wife said all dash displays went off while driving! Oh boy! Had a problem like this on Rendezvous BCM module ! Well looks like I am in for it Again I will watch all your post . I learned a lot about the Rendezvous here and any time I took it to the dealer I heard the same thing " never heard of that problem " ! Sound familiar!
  • I'm sorry to hear about these electrical issues with your Enclave. Have you already visited your dealership? We're available to follow up with them, if you like. Please get in touch via the email address located in my profile and we'll look into this further (include the last 8 of your VIN and the name of your dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • While I love my 2008 Buick Enclave AWD, paying $1800 for a repair to the power steering unit right after it was out of warranty(55,000 miles), didn't sit well with a retired individual.

Reading the number of postings on this issue has me convinced there is a major problem here....
    How do I start a case number and have this issue become an official recall....?

I had considered buying another Enclave, but if this happens again or I have to fork over more money, why......especially if GM isn't going to stand behind their product.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Hello paiceskater,

I'm sorry to read about the recent repair you had done on your Enclave, and apologize for any unease this caused you. The repair has been completed, correct?

We can get a Service Request set up for you if you wanted to email us at socialmedia@gm.com (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). Or, if you're more comfortable discussing these matters over the phone, you can also contact our Buick Customer Assistance Center at 800-521-7300.

Setting up a Service Request will not generate a recall, but that database as well as the database that our dealerships use are used by GM to make decisions along those lines.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mgmd11mgmd11 Posts: 4
    Buick does have a serious quality issue with their Enclave power steering pumps and the cascading problems it causes. Just replacing the pump does not fix the problem because the metal chips from the pump get into the rack and pinion gear causing it to fail as well. Both parts have to be replace. Buick will only consider resolving an out of warranty issue if the repair it done at a GM dealer. I had my repair done elsewhere after finding out it was out of warranty. So Buick chooses to ignore the issue and not resolve a serious customer satisfaction issue. This customer chooses to never buy another GM product and share my experience with others.
  • I have a 2008 Buick Enclave that was purchased new and as of today I an labeling it a lemon! First the sun roof leaked so frequently that the head lining is now ruined, but apparently the leak is repaired. Then the water pump failed and had to be replaced. Next the power steering pump failed. Then the main seal on the transmission failed and it took two weeks to be repaired. All that was under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Now at 63000 the steering is once again an issue. First the dealer said the noise was caused by the power steering pump but when I reminded them it had been replaced once they decided to check further and now they say it is the rack and pinion; apparently the "steering gear" has failed and repairs will run $1300 or more. But they say it is perfectly safe to drive as is and is not in danger of failing on the highway - its just noisy??? How can that be? I bought this GM because of all the prior GM vehicles we owned. The last was a 3/4-ton van that had 250,000 when we traded it in. We never had these problems with it and expect the same service from this vehicle. I though that our government did the right thing in bailing out GM. Now I seriously wonder. We purchased an American product and our own manufacturer won't stand behind it. With all the bailout money GM received I think their customers deserve much better service."> I intend to complain loudly to every consumer organization I can think of and unless GM fixes this at their cost I won't recommend GM vehicles to anyone else - and I've done that lots of times in the past. And next time I will seriously consider buying a Lexus!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    tickedowner,
    I apologize for your frustrations and concerns. Can you please email me directly? Please include your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, as well as a description of your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I would be happy to send the information to you. What is the email address?
    Good morning tickedowner,

You can email us at socialmedia@gm.com.

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gerryrapgerryrap Posts: 1
    I finally got tired of this power steering enclave constantly makes. The final straw was when my friend commented about the noise even when the radio was on. I've created a case with GM about the issue. The quote from the dealer was $1800 to replace the rack and pinion and steering pump. The GM rep called and offered to pay for just the parts. Which leaves me with an $800 bill. I am not very happy with this bill to say the least, but the embarrassing noise is just too much. I had hoped that the recent recall would cover this already, but of course it doesn't. So now, I am starting to get the electrical problems I've been reading about. My friends really like the car, but they wonder why I won't recommend it. I just tell them to go with a more reliable car that would last without costly repairs. I still love my enclave, but I drive it with some anxiety waiting for the next unexplainable issue.
  • 2009 Buick Enclave CXL 84000. Bought used - since then had to replace water pump; rebuild transmission; now in show for power steering pump and gears. Take my car to dealership for maintenance (except 1 oil change). Paid the crazy price of $600 for their Service II. 3/27 took for oil change, today find out power steering fluid low; power steering pump blown; gear needs replaced and not covered under warranty thank you very much! Very frustrated! Should have stuck with Ford!
    buckeyewife,

If you wanted to send the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com, I would be happy to check into your warranty status and get you more information on what is/is not covered.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I too have had to replace the power steering on my 63,000 2010 Enclave. This is ridiculous and the Lupient Buick in Golden Valley, MN was very happy to take my $1,800.00 to fix the car. I had two Envoy's and one Enclave prior to this lemon. I can not believe that GMC Buick would not recall this problem and fix the part that is going bad. The part was probably made in China.

Toyota here I come.
  • Can beat you all on this. We actually had the Steering Column replaced under warrantly when it was two years old. Now at almost four years old - it has failed again! And all GM
    will do (after complaining) - is to cover the parts. So we are being asked to cover $700 labor
    bill for something they should have fixed right in the first place. Plus we actually reported noise at least two times last year - on it - so it really wasn't fix right to begin with! Our 2003 Odyssey is going on 200,000 miles and has never had any maintenance problems. Wonder what type of car we are going with our next purchase - if GM can't even fix something they should have fixed correctly the first time around :(
  • kkunzler64kkunzler64 Posts: 4
    I finally traded my Enclave in on a new Honda Pilot, as I could no longer afford the monthly payment + 500 to 1000 in repair bills the last 4 months I had it. I am done with GM products moving forward. GM did pay for the rack & pinon replacement, but I still had to pay for the power steering. I feel like the government should step in and make GM recall the enclaves to have the steering problems fixed free of charge, and they should re-pay all of us that have already paid for repairs on this problem.
    Do you have a Service Request open with us, dpharrington (71-**********)? We'd be happy to check into the progress of the case, if you like.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rod640rod640 Posts: 2
    This post caught my eye as I also have a 2009 Enclave and have 62,000 miles on it. Took it to the dealer yesterday to see why my check engine light came on and also asked that they check out the humming noise in my steering. Today I find out that the steering "rack" is leaking and it will cost $1,300 to repair. Since this appears to be a common problem among faithful GMC owners, it's hard to believe that there would not be a recall or some relief for this. No way there should be a problem like this in a 3 year old car with 60K miles on it. Very disappointed if GM doesn't step up to help.
    Do you already have a case going, either through the Customer Assistance Center or through us? If not, we're happy to set up a Service Request if you would please email the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, address and phone, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service