Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Power Steering Noise

Comments

• I am an original owner of a 2008 Buick Enclave - which I have loved up until this point. I had referred two people to the dealership I purchased mine at and they bought one as well - it is a great vehicle, however, I have noticed a noise in the steering column when I am turning the steering wheel. It started out small at first but has progressively gotten louder. To the point I don't have anyone ride with me because I am embarrassed that I have such a nice car but a noise I can not get rid of - I am so disppointed. I called the GMC/Buick dealership and spoke with the service manager and he advised this is an inherent issue with the Buick Enclaves!! He said he does not know why GM has not sent a fix out or recalled for this issue as they have had complaints. He said that GM told them they can replace the power steering fluid with coolant because it is thinner. I was advised it is a known issue and has to do with the proximity of the power steering cable to something else and the noise is caused from this coming up into the steering column. I am SO DISAPPOINTED!! I had heard the noise while under warranty but thought it was just something minor - it is now a little over 100k miles, out of warranty and I don't know what to do. I just knew when I told the service manager and he said it was a known inherent problem, that GM would fix this without a cost to me!! I had just paid it off and had hoped to have it for many many years as I love it other than this. I feel bad for referring others to buy one. I can not believe a company as large as GM can not help those out with the problem and provide a fix. I am just so disapointed and a bit jaded.
  • Sounds like the issue I had before they replaced the rack and pinion. I had that noise for months and yes I was also embarrassed. Eventually, while I was 5hrs from home, my steering wheel begin to lock if I turned or slowed down. It went away when they replaced the rack and pinion
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    llee1968,

Let us know if we can work with you and your dealership on this matter - we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • This post is for someone at GM.

We are the original owners of a 2008 Buick Enclave. After the dealership replaced anti-sway struts (approx 67,000 miles) I noticed a clunk when the steering wheel was turned. It seemed to be more pronounced in cold weather and when the car was cold. We took the car in to dealer and they told us that the rack and pinion needed to be changed.

I was charged $57.00 for the diagnosis. When we got the car back the power steering pump was noticeably louder. The dealer told me the steering rack was safe, but to get rid of the noise, I would have to pay about $1000 for parts and labor. I checked and the reservoir was low. There was no sign of a leak (of the closed system).

I can provide the vehicle he VIN via email.

Are there any steering related SBs on the vehicle?

Can you research the VIN to determine if the vehicle has variable steering? The owners manual indicates it has variable steering.

As an aside, we enjoyed our Enclave up until about the 67,000 mile point. The steering problem, that based on other owners' comments appears to be systemic, replaced a shock, and a replaced a water pump (included two returns to the dealer for loose clamps/leaks) have eroded my confidence in the vehicle.

Thanks,

Scott McConnell
    Sent from my iPad
    Mr. McConnell,

We would be happy to check into your questions further. Could we please have you forward your inquiries, a well as the last 8 digits of your VIN, to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • tjarm121tjarm121 Posts: 1
    I just received the same diagnosis on my 2010 Enclave with 66K miles. Never came up during any previous visits to the dealership although we had asked them to look into the noise previously, but this time I need to replace the power steering pump and steering rack at a cost over $1,800 (only covered to 50K miles per dealer). When I mentioned the noise this time they seem to know exactly what it was before looking at the car. Clearly there is a problem with the design if so many people are having the same issues. Had we been told to keep an eye on this previously, or if GM would correct what ever is causing all these leaks, there would be a lot less complaints.

Tom
    tjarm121,
    How is everything running after the replacement of the pump and rack? We're sorry that you encountered these repairs on your Enclave, but hopefully everything's operating well for you now.
  • I have a 2009 Buick Enclave and it makes noises when going over bumps. Took it in and they suggested i replace the struts at $1,000 cost. Told me they have had a lot of problems like this but that Buick has not issued any recall yet. Has anyone else here had this problem, and did you replace the struts or just leave as is. I am told it is not dangerous just noisy. And how can we get Buick to address this?
    Thanks in advance for any insight, as i love the car but HATE the noise. Maybe time to trade in on different car with less noise....
    lovemycar22,

We can check into any options available to you on the struts, but cannot guarantee any results up front. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact details, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• chosen33chosen33 Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Enclave and have this problem..I was told I need to replace front struts..it's been this way for a year..driving fine with it for awhile but now it's quite noisy , bumpy and real embarrassing when u have passengers..I'm going to break down and have them done
  • I just brought my 2009 Buick Enclave back to Keys Chevrolet in Van Nuys with more steering issues. I could feel a slight clunking when I turned the wheel. My car now has 54,900 miles on it and I'm told the gear bushings are worn and it's $547.00 to replace those. Then I was told that the steering gear is starting to seep and will need to be replaced shortly for $1290.00. Just 11 months ago I had the steering stub shaft housing, inlet hose, and front frame bolts replaced because of similar steering issues. The steering has always given me problems since I bought the car and now it's no longer covered by the warranty even though it's never worked properly. I owned a Nissan before this and didn't have any issues at all (I sold it with 95,000 miles on it and never needed to replace anything). I had heard that since 2008 GM was building better cars now that didn't have the quality issues like before so I decided to support an American company and buy one... big mistake! I've already had the door frame appliques replaced because of awful quality (bubbling and peeling) and now the appliques by the windows have faded and are stained. The first few months I bought the car everything was perfect. I raved about it to all my friends and gave high recommendations. Now with the service I've received from Keys Chevrolet and realizing the quality of the Enclave, I'll never recommend GM to anybody. I absolutely love this car but the warranty problems never get fixed correctly and then you're stuck paying a fortune fixing the same problems when the warranty runs out ... not to mention the time spent on all of this. If a car company has bugs with a newer model they should cover those mistakes under warranty to show the customer they are fixing the issues to retain business and at least have a good warranty and service reputation.(this will keep your customers buying GM) After reading these forums and others online I've found that the steering issues are quite common with the Enclaves. I brought my car in last summer for an AC issue but was told they couldn't find a problem ... I'm really looking forward to this summer when that becomes an issue again! I'm sure I have many more issues I'll have to deal with in the future. As these issues arise, I'll keep posting messages to let the public know about GM's Service Centers and how they respond to warranty issues and issues that should have been covered. I'm also going to be consulting a lemon law attorney shortly and I'll be sure to let the public know all the steps needed to get your money back from purchasing a GM Lemon.
    yogurtberry,

Have you already been in contact with the Buick Customer Assistance Center (800-521-7300) about this? If not, and if you would prefer to correspond via email, we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• fltybckfltybck Posts: 2
    Well I guess I'm joining this discussion as I'm extremely unhappy with the turnout of my 2008 Buick Enclave. As posted by MANY others I too have the oil leak, awful power steering noise and also AC cooling issues. The Buick goes in Tomorrow for Diagnostics/estimate again and this will gauge where I go with this vehicle and GM in general/future.

GM help us, the consumer!
  • llee1968llee1968 Posts: 2
    For all those that post in here and are contacted by GM Social - know that they are not here to help. They are only commenting on here for appearance purposes. Once they private message you, their "help" ends. I have a 2008 Enclave and have had power steering noise for at least the last 25k miles and it has gotten worse and I posted on here and was contacted by Stacy of GM Social and she advised me to take to my dealer for diagnostic. I did and in speaking with the service manager at my dealership, I was told the gear housing and gear bushings as well as strut mounts need to be replaced. Over $1100.00 the repairs would be. He said there was a LOT of noise coming from my car and expressed great dismay, that on a $50k vehicle one would have to put up with this with no help from GM. He said this is a very poor design and he has never seen GM step up and offer a fix or assistance of all those he had seen come in. I was also told the strut mounts are something that one never should have to replace unless you are in an accident, which of course I was not. I am very disappointed in GM. This is not the customer service I expected from a large company that promotes customer service as being quality. I will make it my goal to let EVERYONE I come in contact know about GM and to be warned to NOT purchase a GM vehicle. I had been advised before hand not to purchase one but thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and had been very pleased with my Enclave until the noises ensued. To now not receive assitance from GM on a flawed design that they are aware of is completely unacceptable. I know it is Caveat Emptor, but I will help with that all I can!!
    We hope that your visit to the dealership tomorrow results in an accurate diagnosis, fltybck. Keep us updated, and if you would like for us to check into anything, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• fltybckfltybck Posts: 2
    I hear you and afraid of not receiving the help we should as the consumer and doing our part in supporting GM...as I said tomorrow's diagnostic and what my GM service will do will guide me in the direction of my next vehicle purchase, which may be sooner than anticipated.
  • I am the original owner of a 2009 Buick Enclave with 70,000 miles. Over the past few months I have been experiencing the same power steering and strut problems described in this forum. Steering makes whining noise and the struts creak especially in cold weather. (Also had the bubbling applique issue) I had no idea this problem was widespread until today. Something made me decide to do a google search on the power steering issue today. The scary thing, this weekend I bought a new 2013 model with a sticker of $53K and I pick it up tomorrow. I am borderline freaking out after reading 17 pages of posts from people with the same issues that I have. I would like to know if GM has made any design changes to fix the steering, strut, and applique problems. If so, starting what model year?
  • tstoytstoy Posts: 1
    I LOVE my Buick Enclave but I'm starting to feel like I'm in a BAD relationship. "Our" problems started awhile back, I can't even remember at this point in time. I've been through the steering issues that everyone complains of. I've had EVERYTHING related to the steering replaced and it has FINALLY resolved the "oh shoot, i can't turn" issue... it took a good 18 months and about $2700 or so to FINALLY resolve. I've had many problems which have been able to be fixed, but at a cost. My latest visit that finally fixed the steering also turned up that the coolant system needed to be replaced. No sooner do I drive out of the dealership (just this past Saturday) that my transmission is COMPLETELY messed up. Around 2800 - 3000 RPMs it knocks down into what feels like first gear. I called my dealership and my service manager is GREAT (with so much time spent with him with so many repairs, thank goodness) about the NEW problem with the transmission. Over the phone he says it's hard to diagnose but he's guessing it's an internal transmission issue which can cost anywhere between $2,000 and $4,000!!! I literally just passed the 100,000 mile mark 2 weeks ago and it seems that the car is falling apart. I've put about as much money as I can into fixing this vehicle that wasn't a cheap car. I fully expected it to last much longer than 90,000 miles and 4.5 years. Completely disappointed. I already boycott Ford due to a terrible 2000 Ford Focus debacle. Here's hoping I don't have to add Buick to that list now too.
    tstoy,
    Let us know if you would like for us to check into this situation further with you. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • bobs124bobs124 Posts: 4
    I too have a problem with my 2010 Buick enclave. 72,000 mile and the rack and pinion needs to be replaced as well as control arm. In all it cost me more than 1500.00 dollars. The dealership did help out by lowering their parts cost by $100.00. They told me they contacted GM to help out on the parts cost but GM refused. This comes on top of replacing both front struts 6 months ago.
    I wish I had room in this blog to tell y'all about my experience with my 2008 Acadia that I ordered new but like I said "no room" My file was more than an inch thick and the car was in the shop once a month, for 2 years, to fix issues. After I had enough I contacted GM and they told me they were going to do nothing because it was 2 years old and I should have contacted them sooner. I just thought each time it was fixed for good.
    So I traded it in for a new Buick Enclave CLX. Was great tell 6 months ago. I bought it with a warranty till 62,000 miles. I suppose I should have bought a longer warranty!
    I will be contacting GM and let everyone know what happens.
    :(