Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-3... any good?

2»

Comments

• mjlohmanmjlohman Posts: 1
    Refridgerant is the old 12 type. Does anybody know of a kit to update it to the new type?
  • Help! I've looked for the fill plug for my 1994 MX3 transaxle fill plug, 1.6 liter 4cyl. The service manual says to ck it on the side of the case but it isn't there. I had 3 other mechs. put it on a lift and they couldn't find it either! I found the drain plug no problem. Can anyone help me here? Do I fill through the speedometer cable housing like on a 6 cylinder? Did they do a mid-year engine change and not put it in the Mitchells Service Manual? Please post or email me at spoonkwsn@yahoo.com...Thanks for any help with this STRANGE problem.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    For more expedient feedback, you may also want to post (copy/paste) your message on our Town Hall Maintenance & Repair message board. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    the V-6 in the MX-3 was a 1.8 liter engine??? That has to be the smallest displacement I have ever heard of for a V-6. I am wondering if this is a misprint...

I heard the V-6 MX-3 was amazingly reliable and trouble-free, a really good buy, and the only slight disappointment with it was that it was nose-heavy in handling character.

Too bad they are so rare or I would have bought one a couple of years back, and probably would still have it today.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The MX3 GS did in fact have a 1.8 liter 130 horse DOHC 24 valve V-6. It was known as the smallest displacement V6 in the world.
  • The stalling could be caused by a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator, or a faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve, It could be either of those,since you said it only did that when the vehicle was at operating temp.
  • mx5mx5 Posts: 2
    I have a Miata that had the same stalling problem - only happened at stop signs/lights. I used to "blip" the gas pedal to keep it from stalling.
    I first went to a Mazda dealer, who didn't know what the problem might be. I then went to my regular mechanic. He said he'd seen the problem before and that the injectors needed to be properly cleaned. He cleaned them, problem gone, car runs better than ever.
  • I just recently received a '93 MX-3 GS for XMas =) It's got the 5-speed so hopefully it'll have the zip my '97 2.4L Sunfire did. It looks like I got a good one since mine only has 56K miles on it.
  • The MX-3 GS is a great little car. I've had mine for 11 years now. Bought it off the showroom floor in December 1991...one of the first little V-6s on the road. It is so much fun to drive. Not too quick off the line but when that little six gets up to 3,500 rpm look out!

I just bought a brand new Accord V6. The GS was so good I didn't want to trade it, so gave it to my daughter.

I never had a major mechanical problem with mine. Parked it outside year round for the first 6-7 years, and drove it winter and summer (Maine winters). The car started without a hitch every time..even in below zero temps.

It is a rugged little car in the snow too. Put snows on the front and it had great traction as long as you start off in second gear.

The car has about 80,000 miles on it now and has a couple of problems. Would be interested in some feed back...

She is starting to burn some oil between oil changes. Usually down about a quart or quart and a half. Also, in extremely warm and muggy conditions the car idles high...at around 2500 rpm vs the usual 500. This goes away as soon as the weather cools or the car cools down. The car is not hot..at least the temp gauge doesnt indicate it is overheating.

Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.
2»
This discussion has been closed.