Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
The first images (in this case a "rendering") of the next-generation Hyundai Sonata are emerging. And it looks like it will be quite a departure from the current design, if the renderings are anything close to the real car. Here's a sneak peek:

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2008/12/15/next-generation-hyundai-sonata-- yf-renderings/

The blog says "2010" Sonata, but I will be surprised if it's that early. I'd expect the car not before early 2010 as a 2011 model, since Hyundai just revamped the Sonata for the 2009 MY one year ago.

This will apparently be the car that is the basis for the Sonata Hybrid, reportedly the first production hybrid to use lithium polymer batteries.

I think this could be the first Sonata that is sold on looks alone. And if Hyundai gets the suspension right on this car.... watch out!

What do y'all think??

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    backy, I think you're right in expecting that the next generaton will debut as a 2011.

Doesn't the Sonata model year, of late, usually change around the month of June? And, doesn't Hyundai usually test their new models in Korea before selling them in the USA?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Last year the 2009 was out in March--I remember seeing them at the Twin Cities Auto Show in early March 2008 and at dealers shortly after that. So I expect the 2010 to be unveiled any day now. I don't think this is it. The blog entry said "third quarter next year for South Korea." If true, then I wouldn't expect to see it here until late next year at the earliest. Hyundai could even hold it back until early 2011 as a 2012 model, like they did with the current Sonata--introduced in the ROK in the fall of 2004, and in the US in early 2005. No reason they could not go with the current design for a couple more years, with a few running improvements. Depends on how aggressive they want to be in grabbing more share in the mid-sized market. Late 2010 could be good timing as the auto industry might be coming out of its slump by then.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    We should see the YF Sonata revealed sometimes this year. The home market would get first dip, of course.

It has been reported the hybrid model would look different from its gasoline counterpart (Genesis sedan and coupe comparo comes to mind), as well as retaining a different name, plus the usage of lithium polymer, all depatures from this class.
    I hope the Sonata hybrid is a sedan, not a coupe!
    4 door coupe :)
    The new sedan already has coupe-like styling ala the CC, so I'd be curious to how the hybrid would be even more coupe-like (and how a different body could be justified business-wise given it would be pretty low volume).
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Isn't a 4 door coupe....an oxymoron ?? :confuse:

van
    People in marketing can't spell "oxymoron", so they don't care there is no such thing as a 4-door coupe. ;)
    I was kidding around :)

Someone from Hyundai did mention the hybrid model would look different. In terms of how different, I guess we'll find that out sooner than later...
    Probably have a big HYBRID badge on it ala Camry and Fusion hybrids. Maybe a different grille too (again ala Camry hybrid).
  • ryannewsryannews Member Posts: 4
    Hyundai has got a plan to change ‘Sonata’ A to Z. The Sonata(codename: YF) has been developed to release in the F/W 2009.

YF sonata attempt to sports coupe style. The YF Sonata will be designed exterior as well as interior by mixing good things from Sedan and Coupe. The appearance of the new Sonata, a low ceiling in the back close to the style of sports coupe design reminds the recent popular Volkswagen comport coupe ‘Passat CC’ and the Opel ‘Insignia’.

*related post -> http://www.hyundaibuzz.com

The expected image of 2010 Hyundai Sonata(YF) by Photoshop
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    after seeing this photo, the current Sonata (09) looks rather out dated.
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    That photo is a Genesis chop. I've seen a blurry pic of what it actually looks like and it's a little bit different. Still has the large headlamps. It will debut soon in Korea and will debut next year for the US market.
  • wb9696wb9696 Member Posts: 9
    Yes it get revamped in 2011 not 2010 have about 14 months to wait.
    Korea seems to get these things first. I think later this year Korea will get it first then the US will get it a year later.
    We'll probably see the US debut at either this year's LA Auto Show or early next year's NAIAS. The Sonata is scheduled to arrive into showroom in 2010 as a 2011 model year, with the regular version first and then the hybrid later in the year.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I stopped by a Hyundai dealership last week to wrap up my veracruz purchase and inquired about the new sonata. The store manager walked with me into the lot area as we talked about the genesis and veracruz. He asked me how id seen the new sonata and i told him on the internet. He said a hyundai corporate stopped by their place earlier in the week and showed them the car and told them it should arrive in late 2009. I know its hearsay...but this info came straight from the top manager at this dealership...i gave him my card and told him to call me when available as i will be interested to trade my work car for the new model sonata...if its 6 months or 14 months...i can wait...
  • dudestdudest Member Posts: 19
    Just got some info that allocation on the 2010 Sonata should be around next month. Curious to know, I imagine it has to be the same as the 09 since they just revamped it, so the rendering on the one above have to be on the 2011
  • stick30stick30 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what changes will be made for the 2010.

I am looking at a 2009 but hate the fact that there is no bluetooth integration with the navigation system.
  • dudestdudest Member Posts: 19
    I highly doubt there will be any change at all on the 09 since it was completly refreshed for 2009. There are no specs on it yet, but I soon as I see it I will post it here.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I hope they will add factory installed bluetooth, at least optional, on all models. Compatible with ALL newer phones.

i would also suggest to drop the standard suspension, and use the SE suspension on all models. According to all reviewers I've read, it drives better than even the Limeted.

And maybe throw in the steering system (and feel) from the Genesis... It's not Acura-like accuracy, but years ahead of Sonata...

The steering wheel, while nice, may be tuned up a bit more fancy...
    The 2010 Sonata will be a carry over from the 09 model. It won't be a very long model year. The 2011 Sonata will be an all new model coming out this March.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Some info on the 2011 model due summer 2010:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=152807#2

;)
    Thanks!

I am thinking, since I believe this discussion was created for the next-generation Sonata, and it's clear now that will NOT be a 2010 model but 2011, maybe the name of this discussion could be changed to "2011 Hyundai Sonata"?

What do you think, Hosts?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Done! :)
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Can't say I care for the profile very much. And, just guessing, but it looks like the trunk opening will be miniscule. :mad:
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Whaddya want, classy style or a real trunk opening ?? ;)
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    A trunk that I can use. Easy decision. And I prefer the more classic design of the current Sonata even if it is bland.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    If Hyundai were smart, they'd put a hatch on the 2011 Sonata, ala the Mazda6 hatch from the prior generation. With the fastback roofline, a hatch should fit fine. Then you'd have your swoopy looks and a HUGE trunk opening.

I don't mind the sleeker styling as long as rear headroom is not compromised. But I expect it will be.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    I am right with you on this. I bought a V6 Sonata SE in March, trading in my 03 6 Sedan. I had hoped the hatch would come to the next generation 6. I had also hoped the 6 would remain sporty, reasonably priced and show some modest improvement in fuel economy. SInce none of that happened I rebelled to Hyundai and am loving it. A Sonata hatch would win my heart for good.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    I kept hearing talk about a Sonata Hybrid coming out "in the fall of 2009" last winter, but I haven't heard about it since; it obviously wouldn't be a MY2010 now, with the coming change to the 2011 Sonata, so why hasen't Hyundai been talking about the Hybrid as part of the 2011 build up?

Is it still coming, or did it get cancelled?
    Supposedly it comes out a year after the 2011 model debuts.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=152807#2

;)
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Hmmm... so it's been pushed back a year. Still, seems late for them to call it a MY2011.
  • nstuffnstuff Member Posts: 25
    Latest (September) motortrend magazine says the 2010 Sonata will be a carry-over in the US. They indicate the V6 will no longer be available on the GLS. Some minor changes in colors both inside and out, and a blurb about the Navi being available in more trim levels. I checked out edmunds' 2010 sonata section and they still indicate navi is still only available for the limited. Hyundai's own website has no information on the 2010 sonata, so edmunds might be wrong about the navi until Hyundai officially updates their info.
    The 2011 Sonata will most likely debut in Korea later this year.
    Here's a link to some spy shots. They give a decent idea as to shape and some exterior details

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/07/2011-hyundai-sonata-caught-testing-in.html

;)
    Nav will be available on the SE model. A focus group recently got to see the 2011 Sonata and they say it's drop dead sexy.
    Here are some new photos of what appears to be the 2011 Sonata. Looks like they are doing some marketing photos in the cutaway shots.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2009/08/21/new-hyundai-sonata-sedan-fully-- undisguised/

:shades:
    Looks like a shoo-in to win the 2010 NACTHTLHAT award (North American Car-that-has-the-largest-headlamps-and-taillamps). ;)
    The 2010 Sonata will have a very short model run. That means the 2011 Sonata will likely be on sale early next year.
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    This is the first Hyundai design that I have seen that has something no other has had yet...attitude! Not even the Genesis Sedan or Coupe have it. Both nice looking cars, but not anything you might get out of its way when you see it in your review mirror.

:shades:
    Wait until you see the new Tucson. ;)
    Panoramic Sunroof is a KDM only feature.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I think it looks great overall, but doesn't the front end look kinda like the Toyota Venza. I'd still buy one though.
  • james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    Nice find, tenpin!
    Here are a few new pics of the 2011 Sonata. Impressive!

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2009/08/31/2011-hyundai-sonata-i40-reveale- d/

;)
  • nobody18nobody18 Member Posts: 1
    Here are 4 new pics. The movie is just slide show of the pics.

http://blog.naver.com/650i?R