Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Do you know what the first application of both the 2.4L Theta and 3.3L Lambda was? The 2006 Sonata. So Hyundai had zero track record with those two all-new engines when it put them into its bread-and-butter car five years ago. And things worked out pretty well for those engines, didn't it? And the Theta II with DI is not an all-new engine, but a revision to the Theta.

Since the probability of "something happening" is greater than zero, I said "highly unlikely to happen" instead of "won't happen." But keep in mind the probability that our sun won't come up tomorrow morning--at least not in its familiar form--is also not zero.

I agree that performance is more than hp, weight, and speed. Handling is part of it--maybe the 2011 Sonata's available 18" wheels will help there. Maybe the suspension tuning of the 2011 Sonata will be oriented more towards crisp handling (in all trims). Braking is part of it--maybe the 2011 Sonata won't have the rear brake lock-up problem reported by some owners. Also, I think fuel economy is part of performance. There is evidence that the 2011 Sonata will be the class leader in that category.

If a change is not noticeable, it isn't important. If the 1.6 cubic feet was taken out of headroom, I might not notice it (I'm only 5'10"). But someone who is 6'2" might.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Guys,

I'm blown away! Just did the factory tour in Montgomery Alabama today. If there is any way you can make the trip I highly encourage you to go to the HMMA website and register for the tour.

The place is state of the art, huge, clean and a great experience!!! The tour is well done and extremely educational and informative.

The 2011 Sonata is GORGEOUS!!!!! Breathtaking actually! Until today I had my heart set on a Genesis sedan. No longer! We will be purchasing a 2011 Sonata later this year when the Turbo is available.....Late 2010. I got to sit in a Limited 2011 Sonata fresh off the assembly line and was in seventh heaven! We thought our Veracruz and Azera were sweet.....The new Sonata is a home run!!!

Accord and Camry are obsolete as soon as this Sonata hits the streets at the end of the Month. Hyundai just had the superbowl commercials shot at this factory and will aire five Superbowl spots highlighting the new Sonata and American factory.

Craig
  • Also, I think fuel economy is part of performance. There is evidence that the 2011 Sonata will be the class leader in that category.

---------------------------------------------------

Indeed it is. The Hyundai website has these prelim numbers posted:

The weight is fantastic as well. Losing 1.6 cu.ft. of passenger volume (which is likely headroom) while dropping over 100 pounds AND improving fuel economy = a winner.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Can someone fix or remove this graphic?

It is chopping off the content of other
    comments.
  • joeg1joeg1 Posts: 17
    While the 2011 Sonata appears to be a worthy competitor to the Accord and the Camry, I continue to wonder what, if anything, Hyundai will do to lower its total cost of ownership. Earlier Sonatas beat out competitors in their initial purchase price but this was more then offset by their lower residual values.
    How do you figure the lower purchase prices were "more than offset" by lower resale values? Are you figuring that by percentages, or actual dollars out of pocket? From what I've seen over the years (including ownership of 3 Hyundais, one a Sonata), the lower purchase prices more than offset lower resale value, in terms of dollars out of pocket, if the car is kept in good condition. For the Sonata and Hyundais in general. If the car is trashed by the original owner, all bets are off.

I think you will see prices of new Sonatas continue to creep up, as they have over the past several years since the 2006 model debuted. The better the car relative to its competition, the higher the asking price can be. That will pull up resale values.
  • Your tour sounds even better than I read about, have tour date of Jan. 29th
    and have been looking forward to it very much, planed it so we could see
    the new 2011. I thought about not bringing my wife but she loves the one
    she has, not even a chance she would trade. We try to keep a "GOOD"
    vehicle at least 8 to 10 years (or longer). IMO the residual value has a
    whole lot to do with how the car was maintained (overall looks, year,
    options that work, mileage, previous repairs the list goes on). That will
    apply to any vehicle. Now Hyundai (for many reasons) lately has been
    turning a lot of heads and changing the way people and the industry
    sees them, so I do believe the resale value will be a whole lot better in
    the near future, IMO all the others will have to do a little catching up.
    Regardless some people invite change with open arms, some on the
    other hand have to be convinced. It took me a while to catch on to what
    Hyundai now has to offer, and boy am I a happy camper that we
    jumped aboard. We always get well over book price for our vehicles
    most of the time from friends or family. We go thru extra measures to
    keep them up because we usually keep them a while and travel a lot.
    So the resale is not a issue anyway to me. Have never traded a car in
    except the Cash for clunkers mess that went down and again got a lot
    more than book value (13 years old with plenty miles, but a gas guzzler)
  • I have always driven a Honda, Toyota or Nissan, but am really thinking about getting the new 2011 Sonata. The one thing I have noticed recently is that the Sonata is almost similarly priced as a Accord/Camry/Altima. The thing that made the Sonata a great buy was it costs $3-$5K lower than a Accord or Camry and therefore even though the residual value was low, you bought the Sonata at a lower initial price. I think Hyundai could lose customers if people see that the Sonata is priced the same as a Accord/Camry and they will pick the them instead of the Sonata. I believe the 2011 will be a huge success, but if Hyundai prices it same as the competitors, it will be hard to sell. If they can maintain their low price, but improve their quality and features, they will definitely rise to the top.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    i must agree with mazda-dude in that if you have a 2011 sonata that is priced at about the same as a honda accord or toyota camry but the resale values are much better as well as the quality with the honda or toyota then what's the advantage of going with the sonata except maybe for the long warranty.according to "resale value.com" the hyundai sonata will basically be worth peanuts as soon as you drive it off the dealers lot.
    It's a catch-22. The main reason the resale values of Sonatas are lower than for Camcords is because the up-front cost of the Sonata is much lower. So the best way to increase resale values is to continue to improve the car and raise its price closer to that of its main rivals. But now some people wonder about buying the Sonata at that price, even though it is very competitive in features and quality with the Camcord, because of historical resale values.

Those of you who wish for the Sonata to continue to be sold at the same low prices as in the past--if that happens, you can forget about resale values rising much, any time soon. You want better resale value? Then accept that the up-front price of the Sonata must increase. You want lower up-front prices? Then accept that you won't get as much, in dollars, for your trade. But you paid less up front.
  • Backy is right - if you want higher resale values, then you have to suffer higher initial price.

For me, I hope the Sonata continues to be priced substantially less than the Camcord. I have an '09 Sonata, and I plan on keeping it until it just flat out dies (hopefully, 10+ years, 200,000+ miles). So, to me, resale value is meaningless.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    I keep a car for 6 years typically and my focus is the loss of value over time in $$$$. As far as I'm concerned, a $40,000 car that is worth $25,000 in six years and a $25,000 car that is worth $10,000 in six years (just making up those numbers) are essentially the same price.
    You are looking at it in a practical way. But some people look only at resale/residual percentages, which can be misleading as they tend to favor the more expensive car.
  • navotinavoti Posts: 17
    You guys are missing one major factor. The Sonata can be had for much lower prices than equivalent Cam-Cord-etc.. My 2006 Sonata LTD was nearly $10,000 less than Camry with leather, heated seats, esc, The other brands nickel and dime you to death for the same stuff Hyundai includes standard. Now that gap has closed to some degree with other brands including trac control and stability control. Also one issue we have here locally is that all of the Camry's have cloth interior. The only camrys with leather around here have the works like GPS, sunroof, etc.. which drive the price way up. And finally at least in my area the other dealers act like they are gods gift. Very little dealing going on. The hyundai dealers made me a great deal on my Sonata and my wife loves her Santa Fe and she got it for a great price. Mine was 18,500 and her 2008 Santa Fe LTD with sunroof was $21,000. Sure the resale value is lower but I'd rather invest that money and over 5 years make an additional 75% from investments. It's all how you look at it. I absolutely love the 2011 Sonata and I'm chomping at the bit to get it!
    If you review my recent posts, I think you'll see I am not missing this point about the Sonata's initially lower sales price. :)

But do you want a shock? Go into your local Hyundai dealer when the first few 2011 Sonatas arrive. I predict you'll see them at MSRP or even with ADM added, and no rebates. If you doubt that, recall that is what happened in early 2005 when the Gen 4 Sonata debuted. That kind of pricing didn't last long, but it's typical when a new design comes out. So if you want a good deal on a 2011, be prepared to wait a bit. Those who are "chomping at the bit" to get one will pay a premium.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    this is the case with the new kia forte koupe.i went with my girlfriend who is interested in the new 2010 kia forte koupe to my local kia dealership.msrp for the car she wanted was $20,090.00 and dealer would not budge from the msrp being that the forte koupe is new and hot looking.however,there were no additional adm's adding to the sticker as far as i could tell.i think what the dealer is forgetting here is that once you drive the kia off the dealers lot it will be basically worth peanuts due to kia''s horrible resale values.i would rather pay msrp for a honda or toyota that will hold it's value alot better than any kia car.people will have this problem with the new 2011 sonata.it may look good and drive well but it's still a hyundai and will be worth peanuts as soon as you drive it off the dealers lot.
  • mitsu3mitsu3 Posts: 4
    Agreed. Most people buy a car with the intention of keeping it and not for the purpose of reselling it. Of all the cars that I've had, except for one, they all lasted ten years. After 10 years, i don't expect to be getting a lot of money for it. So, all this talk about resale value is just plain rediculous.
  • I predict you'll see them at MSRP or even with ADM added, and no rebates.

------------------------------------------------------

That would be a very safe bet. Especially if Hyundai keeps the price point below the competition, which they are likely to do.

I was looking at a new 2007 Elantra SE when they first came out in 2006. It was well equipped with a sticker around $17,400 I believe. I was interested until I saw $1,000 ADM on the window, making the price $18,400. I about swallowed my gum! :mad:

I haven't looked at a Hyundai since....
  • I agree with backy 100% about the possibility of the MSRP increase on
    the 2011. When it hits the showroom floor at first it may not come with
    any kind of rebate, you may try to wheel and deal but if the interest is
    as high as I think, that may not fly either. But again Hyundai will do what
    it takes to put the vehicles in their customers garage, that IMO is a plus
    for Hyundai and us. "Patience may be the cure."

To some people money is no object, so go for it, it will probably be worth
    it anyway!
  • This is probably correct, but wouldn't it be nice if the powers to be at Hyundai came out with a very special discount allowance for present Hyundai owners, for the 2011's.? I know I am dreaming.
    van