Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• schdyschdy Posts: 233
    edited May 2010
    My apology. I must have misread message 3027. I thought you were posting and supporting the steering problem. I'm glad that you corrected me. And good luck with your new purchase.
    Hopefully you are more responsible and you won't drive 70mph with no hands on the steering wheel. I have the SE and I would never take that risk with any car.
    Again please accept my apology but this reported steering problem has consumed an awful lot of my personal time trying to verify the safety defect with zero results to date. The result was my reading too much into your post.
    The right Dealer is the one you feel most comfortable with.
    In my opinion the 2011 Sonata is one of the safest cars you can drive. That was reinforced by my NY insurance Co.
    I listen to the WFAN here in NY and yesterday one of the sports announcers stated that Brad Benson (former NY Giants footbal player) in NJ is the largest Hyundai dealer in the US. Anyone hear or agree with this. I think his adds are a little risqe'
  • jaimzjaimz Posts: 15
    I don't about all these problems I'm reading about....

but, my lmtd is doing great so far:

no steering problem...straight as an arrow
    horn works fine
    quiet ride
    and about 31mpg mixed city and freeway
  • meikmeik Posts: 63
    Same here.
  • ewg54ewg54 Posts: 25
    Mine is doing fine too! :) :) :) :) :)
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    Mine too.
    I think any car at any speed will drift one way or another with the road contours.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I think any car at any speed will drift one way or another with the road contours.

A car's suspension geometry can be set up to hold a straight line on a road that's not perfectly flat, but we probably wouldn't like the way it handles at low speed. Front tire wear would probably be excessive, too.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The new Tucson uses the same steering set up. We have one, and it is great.

I think one issue some folks may run into on the steering "feel" is that Hyundai uses very fast steering ratios on some of their cars. I will not comment on the Sonata specifically since I do not own one, but I do own a 2010 Tucson and a 2010 Elantra Touring SE. Both have very quick, very precise steering. When I compare either of these to our Blazer with recirculating ball steering, the difference is amazing. When my wife first started driveing the Tucson, she tended to wander a bit in the lane because she wasn't used to such a sensitive response. Now, she loves it!
  • mexjohnmexjohn Posts: 74
    edited May 2010
    What in earth are you talking about are you being stupid!!!!READ THE POSTS THE RIGHT WAY.

Keyman, I think what happened is that it seemed part of your copied forum message seemed as though it were some of your own words because the text wasn't distinguished. Try this next time: Post your opening part as you did, then, on the next line where you want to post your copied text, click on the B below. Then paste in your copy and click on the B again. That will bold all the text in your copy, and it won't be confused with your own words.
    You can do this line by line if you want to, making a comment, and pasting in something else, making another comment, etc.

I, too, was a little confused at first on your post 3027, reading it a couple of times before I realized most of it was copied text, but this should help avoid that in the future.

Also, I don't think you have a thing to worry about, the Sonata IS a great car.
  • rexgrexg Posts: 27
    I just bought a new 2011 Sonata SE. So far I love everything about the car except for the owners manual and the quick reference. I am looking for more information on one feature related to the smart key. For lack of a better term, there is what I will call a "docking station" for the smart key fob. It is located within the console in a very non-obvious location. There is a small indicator light associated with it. The dealer told me that it was used to recharge the battery in the smart key. I wanted to find out more details about this, but could find nothing in the owners manual about it. The manual does talk about dead battery procedures but says nothing about recharging the battery in the fob, and it says nothing about this docking station. Upon further reflection, I doubt that this docking station is used for recharging the smart key. My guess is that it might be required when the battery is dead in the fob -- you would use the mechanical key to gain entrance, and then you would place the smart key into this docking station in order to start the car. Does anyone have any info on this docking station? Thanks.
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    Your right.
    The battery is not re chargeable. I believe it uses a CR2032 battery, like in computers.
    The console slot is for starting it if the smart key battery goes dead.
    I think your dealer needs to get their information straight.
    I wanted to find out more details about this, but could find nothing in the owners manual about it.

See section 5, page 10 in the *NOTICE box.

My salesman told me the same thing, that it would recharge the batter in the smart key, but I had downloaded the manual beforehand and told him he needed to get up on the information on this car. He said he would get better informed.
    Thank You. I'm glad my honest mistake wasn't purely ignorance. Hopefuly we both learned from your post.
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 346
    Well get ready for a Sonata bashing post. Having seen 6 or 7 new Sonatas on the
    road in my area already I think I'll be getting as sick of seeing them as I am of
    seeing the the countless Camrys, Accords and Altimas, but not quite as sick as watching male enhancement commercials.

I think the Sonata styling is going to get old very quickly.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    I'll bet not as old, as quickly as the Accord's has. ;)
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    Thank you for that advise I'll try that next time.I really do love the Sonata.
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    If you want to say something like that then any car you look at would be boring like the Toyota's Accord,Chevy's Ford etc.Sonata is one beautiful car that will never be dated in time,I've seen the new Buick Regal,it's nice but Sonata blows it away.I have a 1986 Chevy Cavaliar Fastback fixed up in white car looks great and I still get looks and asked what kind of car is that it's nice looking,so your wrong!
  • rexgrexg Posts: 27
    See section 5, page 10 in the *NOTICE box.

Thanks for the pointer! I made the mistake of assuming that this info would logically be placed in section 4 where the smart key functionality is described.
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the pointer! I made the mistake of assuming that this info would logically be placed in section 4 where the smart key functionality is described.

Now that would just be wrong because it would make sense! They do have a small box in sec. 4 that refers to the sec 5 page 10, but it's easy to miss.

I have edited several user manuals for a Korean tractor company, and believe me, the job done on this manual is far superior to the usual translations, but still could be well-improved.

Don't miss the part about pushing the key in past the detent before pulling it out, or the key could be damaged. It's rather like a smart card on a computer card reader, push in, click, pull out.

Enjoy.
  • 2011limited2011limited Posts: 30
    To avoid the hassle... I will keep a fresh 2032 Battery in my wallet. They are thin enough to be kept in a wallet.

Ordered one of these.....nice: http://www.sportwing.com/images/view.aspx?productId=12664
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Thanks for the clarification, mexjohn. There's no real need for hostility... sometimes intended meanings get scrambled in text form, without face-to-face communications. It'd be nice if we could be a little bit more understanding, eh?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kenymkenym Posts: 405
    If you want to say something like that then any car you look at would be boring like the Toyota's Accord,Chevy's Ford etc.Sonata is one beautiful car that will never be dated in time,I've seen the new Buick Regal,it's nice but Sonata blows it away.I have a 1986 Chevy Cavaliar Fastback fixed up in white car looks great and I still get looks and asked what kind of car is that it's nice looking,so your wrong!

What makes your opinion right and his opinion wrong :confuse:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    Personally I think the new Regal is pretty sharp looking, more "buttoned down" than the Sonata, a more conservative look that some people will prefer. But I think both are good looking in their own way.

I am not surprised the 1986 Cavalier gets looks. :)
    Where did you order from and how much. Let us know how ease of installation is and post some pics if you can. Thanks!
    I think the Sonata styling is going to get old very quickly.

Believe it or not, I actually got your point, or think I did.

Sonata is going to become as popular as the ubiquitous others, and we won't have unique styling for much longer.

I thought it was a clever post myself.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I have to disagree with you on that statement. I see Accords, Altimas, Camrys and Fusions everyday and none of them make me say "damn that's a nice piece of machinery". I saw a Indigo Blue SE yesterday and a Silver this morning and I was like "damn what an awesome looking piece of machinery". That's the wow factor that the Sonata is getting and will not get old anytime soon.
  • markleungmarkleung Posts: 44
    This is not a post to knock anyone. Just my point of view.

I noticed the Sonata when it was first launched. Honestly I liked its refreshed and smooth styling, but after finding out the only engine is the 2.4 GDI, it kind of fell off the radar for me.

All of a sudden on April 1 the 2.0T was announced. It got me intrigued. Then I looked at the equipment available (some unique in this class), fuel economy, and driving dynamics (to some extent), I find it the perfect replacement for my vehicle.

I view the 2011 Sonata as a spacious mid-size sedan with lots of power (2.0T), almost everything I wanted (Limited with Navi) with great fuel economy (22/34 on regular) at the right price, while having this nice design as a bonus.

Just need to see when the 2.0T will be actually out...
    I will keep a fresh 2032 Battery in my wallet

You're not likely to need one for many years.

I'm still using the original batteries in my Toyota's remote, 11 years later!
  • markleungmarkleung Posts: 44
    Just keep one in your car.

I currently have a 2007 Infiniti G35x (from October 2006). I have changed the battery once already, I think about a year ago. As it constantly sends and receives information, it will not last as long as a regular remote control for opening doors.