Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    From what I've read, the nitrogen molecules are bigger so they don't seep out as easy.

That's the theory. However, air is already 80% nitrogen. When tires leak down, oxygen and trace gases with small molecule size leak out first. After you add air 2 or 3 times, you should have over 98% nitrogen and other trace gases with bigger molecules.
  • shot_mosshot_mos Posts: 24
    edited May 2010
    Can you give us any insight to the reports of an improved horn?

I think they're retrofitting and using these guys:

Hyundai's New Horn Supplier
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    edited May 2010
    Took mine to Fairfield CT, about 55 miles away, 2 in the car, got 42 mpg, going back got 36 mpg, so going back was more hills. Not bad. See what happens next trip down.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Posts: 116
    edited May 2010
    Funny... :P

but not helpful ;)
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Posts: 29
    edited May 2010
    Odd about the door. Do you think it may have had something to do with the recall that occurred right after the Sonata was introduced? I seem to recall that it was about a door latch issue.

They told me this car was traded from another dealer in another state. The other dealer did whatever was supposed to be done to correct the early door latch problem, but apparently did it incorrectly. They fixed it. I just think it should have been caught before the car was turned over to me.

I want to say, I may be leaving the impression I'm not happy with this dealership. On the contrary. When compared with all the others I shopped ( not just the other Hyundai dealers, but the Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda & Ford ), these guys were by far the best. Now they weren't perfect. But had I bought another car at another dealer, would things have been better??? We'll never know.

BTW, that service department has a mechanic/technician named Jeff that knows more about Hyundai than most dealers would have if you combined all the mechs into one. He may not seem friendly all the time, but he is awsome to watch work, and is an artisan when it comes to turning wrenches. Most of the guys in the service department have been there for many, many years.

I'll be asking for him when I take it back for the noise problem. Thanks

Are you out here in RR? You know that is one of the bigger Hyundai dealers in the U.S.? Penske owns it.

I'm in GT.i>
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Posts: 29
    I'm not sure why anybody would complain about buying a car on a busy Saturday afternoon and it taking 4 hours.

Customers are 1/2 the problem and they want to haggle just as much and try to get everything they can and squeeze people.

And the dealer wants to sell as many add ons as possible. So everybody has their part in the car buying process.

Go in their on Tueday at 10 am,. and you'll probably get in and out a lot quicker.

The only real haggling that took place was over the price of my trade. That took all of 15-20 minutes. What took all afternoon was waiting for a turn with the finance guy. Well over two hours waiting just to get a chance to sign the paperwork. If Saturday is so busy, they need to get a 2nd finance guy on duty. Most of the rest of the time was them prepping the car.

10 A.M. Tuesday, we're working.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Posts: 205
    I'm glad I have waited thus far in getting a new car.

In fact, I may just buy a used one, if I do at all, and I'll probably pass on the Sonata.

I have been watching the forums over at hyundaiforums for a while, and there are many, many complaints about rattles in dozens of places on the 2011 Sonata.

Two things drive me crazy about cars and undermine my confidence in feeling that I am driving a piece of quality oriented engineering: suspension noises and rattles.

The 2011 is far from unusual in terms of even new cars displaying rattles on less than perfect roads - I've seen Accord, Fusion, Altima and Toyota Avalon owners complain of rattles more and more lately.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Nitrogen in the tires is another dealer assist...they don't make much money on a new car sale, no matter what, so sale add-ons are important. Years ago, it was undercoating. Then it was rustproofing. Then it was "clearcoat (wax)." Or how about fake wood appliques for the interior? Whether or not these things had any utility, you were often charged through the nose (hundreds of dollars extra), and here and there, the dealer made a few bucks more.

It is a fact that air is mostly nitrogen, and it is a fact that most tires that have working valves and a decent rim seal when installed do not need to have air added regularly. So if they throw "nitrogen" in the sale (like sometimes they did with "clearcoat,") take it. But don't pay more than a couple bucks extra for something you can get free or almost free if you check.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Most new cars, no matter the make, are pretty much rattle free. You will of course find the odd example of most makes that has a rattle. (You will also find that in some rare cases the rattle is caused by something the owner is carrying somewhere in the car.) Rattles are not a big issue in most new cars in recent years. If you have one, the dealer needs to isolate it and fix it.
  • xmechxmech Posts: 90
    OMG... the nitrogen monster is back! I'm 99% sure the only reason N2 started being used in tires was when they us split-rim wheels, that have a greased o-ring between, like on airplanes. They use much higher pressures and reach higher temperatures, and I guess there is enough oxygen in them to react with the grease and kablooey! It has happened.

Can't speak for truck and other split-rim applications. I imagine it could be a safety issue there, too.

Maybe if you REALLY race (Not think you're racing) the tiny difference in heat expansion ( if any) could make a tenth of a second difference in your lap time, maybe...if you are that good, and that consistant. But I don't think it'll make an appreciable difference when you're flooring it to beat the other guy with a fart muffler to the next red light.

I would never waste my money on it. Sorry for the rant...happy roads! :shades:
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,992
    edited May 2010
    I think air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen so replacing the 20% seems to help in maintaining tire pressure. It's easy to poo-poo it unless you've actually tried it. The only thing I can say is that either Costco absolutely has the best valve stems and knows how to seal the rims on new tires better than others or the nitrogen has helped. I have tires that I have absolutely not added one pound of air in the last 18 months and they are still right at the pressures when installed. Each time I check them I just kind of shake my head.

Liike I said, Costco throws it in when they sell you tires so it's a very low cost. I have a third car that is 3 years old and soon will need tires and I have to add air to those about once or twice a year. The replacements will be filled with nitrogen certainly not to race but just to avoid having low tires. It seems that just about everybody that likes to make light of nitrogen seems to be a scientist and knows how it just can't be any good but has never tried it themselves.

The fact that dealers try to rip you off by charging an arm and a leg for nitrogen is not proof that it is bogus. Many things they add are just fine it's just that they charge too much for them. If they only charged $3-$4 a tire it wouldn't be an issue.
    A little back up to my previous nitrogen rant:

Car Talk

Straightdope

$100 for a nitrogen fill! Holy inert gasses batman! I'm gonna open a nitrogen shop, and have an oxygen bar next door for while you wait! :lemon:
    No harm if they do it for free. To me, I'm gonna check my pressures regularly anyway, unlike most people as it said in my previous link, and just fill with either my $12 compressor I keep in the car, or with my air tank in my garage.

Also, going from the big tires on my Grand Cherokee, to the relatively low profiles on my new Fusion, I hardly have to fill them now, when I had to almost monthly on the Cherokee.
  • larry134larry134 Posts: 40
    Isn't it fun driving by gas stations now?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Although I would be interested to see the list of at least 24 (i.e. "dozens") of places on the 2011 Sonata where owners have reported rattles. That's a LOT of places for rattles to occur, in ANY car! ;)
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    You take a chance when you buy a brand new model..it sure happens with Honda and Toyota's too. I'd wait at least a year for them to sort out the rattles and other bugs..otherwise its you who the last step in the vehicle Quality control.

I have to say the Sonata looks great. I did not think it was a great handler though. The Accord wins in that area. I am glad to see a company like Hyundai take it to Honda as Honda has been a bit out of touch with what buyers want.
  • rysterryster Posts: 480
    edited May 2010
    I own a 2011 Sonata GLS with PEP2. 2 weeks old, 730 miles so far. Several rattles have already surfaced over the past 2 weeks.

1. Constant loud, hollow metallic ticking noise from inside driver's door.
    2. Rattle in console from the plastic around the power ports/usb-ipod port
    3. Rattle from upper passenger side dash (not the infamous glove box rattle)
    4. Rattle from rear parcel shelf/deck
    5. Rattle from front passenger door area
    6. Driver's seat "knocks" when weight shifts in it. Moving the seat forward then back again eliminates the knock for a while, then it will come back.
    7. Speaker in driver's door has started to vibrate/buzz with certain bass notes or voices (and the bass is only set to +2)
    8. Driver's door window frame vibrates/buzzes randomly while driving over certain types of pavement

All of the noises have really taken some of the enjoyment out of the car. Some days I don't even want to drive it. Hopefully the dealer will be able to address a couple of the more severe ones at the first service.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    I have owned my 2011 Limited for 4 weeks and I cant not find anything wrong with this car. Not even one rattle, that's right I said not even one little rattle. Gas milage is about 30 mpg between city and open road. My 2005 Sonata V6 only gets 25mpg.
    This is my third Hyundai starting in 2005, and I have had no,notta, zerro, problems with any of them. All I have had to do in 5 years is change oil ( dealer does that free for life ) and get one set of tires and front brakes. Great cars.
    Thank you Hyundai for making a really great car.
  • I have found the posters on this forum are far more tolerant about there vehicles and Dealer than I tend to be.

I test drove the 2011 Sonata GL Saturday. I was originally interested in the Limited but the Dealer didn't have one available. We did some high way, some city stop and go and some back roads. Overall I was a little disappointed in the handling of the vehicle. It certainly did not drive or handle as well as it looks. Perhaps the GL is worth the 19+K, But in my opinion not the Limited at 27+K.

But if everybody liked the same vehicle nobody could afford to buy one. so happy motoring everyone
    I have no doubts about the mechanical reliability of my Sonata, just wish for a little more attention to detail in the fit and finish department.

I am also averaging 30mpg in daily driving. Great fuel economy for a 198hp 4-cylinder engine.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    I have owned my 2011 Limited for 4 weeks and I cant not find anything wrong with this car. Not even one rattle, that's right I said not even one little rattle. Gas milage is about 30 mpg between city and open road. My 2005 Sonata V6 only gets 25mpg.
    This is my third Hyundai starting in 2005, and I have had no,notta, zerro, problems with any of them. All I have had to do in 5 years is change oil ( dealer does that free for life ) and get one set of tires and front brakes. Great cars.
    Thank you Hyundai for making a really great car.

Ditto for me with my SE.
    If I were you, I would have taken the car in right away, BEFORE you filled out the infamous survey. And told the dealer you would give them good marks on the survey IF they fixed the rattles. A little incentive never hurts.

So that's 8 places (although I wouldn't count the speaker problem as a "rattle")--which is a lot for a new car, but not close to "dozens". In 35 years of buying new cars (including 2 Hyundais), the most rattles I've ever had on a new car was on a 1992 Sentra that had rattles in 3 places. All were fixed by the dealer.
    Maybe if you wouldn't exaggerate any negative thing about the Sonata, people would take you more seriously. The discussion you linked to has at most about 10 rattle places across all people who posted there--not "dozens". And only ONE person (ryster) reported more than two rattles. Most common were the glovebox (which some posters have already fixed) and moonroof. And multiple posters reported the buzzing in the speaker.

There are a total of 16 posts in that discussion, but some people posted multiple times. Out of how many 2011 Sonatas sold to date? Maybe 50,000?
  • 2011limited2011limited Posts: 30
    I read that Forum all the time.... and I can not even remember a complaint about rattles.

Just ignore the ignorant bashers... if they don`t like the Sonata..fine. But what the heck are they doing here!
    I am not sure who you are addressing the survey comment to, but I have not received any surveys since purchasing my Sonata. When, or if, I ever do get a survey I may call the service department and mention that I have the rattles and will send my survey back after a successful service visit to repair them.

I also did not use the term "dozens"...that was another poster.

I am kind of hoping that some of the noises go away on their own as the car "settles". In any event, it will not take me too long to put 3,000 miles on the car at which time it will go in for the first service and some of the noises can hopefully be addressed.

Every brand new car I have ever purchased (10 brand new cars over the past 20 or so years) has developed rattles, however this car has developed more in a faster timeframe than any other.
    Did you check that owner's forum? Someone posted a solution to the glovebox rattle that was easy and cheap, and would allow the owner's manual to go back into the glovebox, where God intended it should go. :)
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    Here's the link on the Hyundai forums about many Sonata rattle complaints, which should put shabadoo25's credibility 6 feet under, where it belongs: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t48765-rattles.htm

And her is the link to Hyundai 2011 Consumer reviews.
    http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/consumerreview.html
    Rattles do not seem to be a problem by these owners.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Posts: 74
    I think my Limited is the first car I've bought that DIDN'T have some small rattles. I haven't heard one, and what a blessing that is for me as I really hate odd, irritating noises in my cars.

That said, I can certainly believe that some folks do have rattles. It happens. That's what the service department and a warranty are about. PIA for sure, but not a catastrophe.
  • windjammerwindjammer Posts: 25
    I live in northwest Ohio. The winters get pretty nasty, very cold, snow and ice. My wife has alloy wheels on her car and they wouldn't hold air in the winter. A couple of times a month I would have to put air in the tires. The cost of .50 cents each time was only part of it. When it's below zero and you kneel down in the snow to add the air, It's not all that pleasant. Our dealer suggested the nitrogen and for a cost of $30.00 I never had a problem again with the alloy wheels losing air in the winter.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    Nope. Just a 5-year Hyundai owner with no complaints and minimal problems.

As opposed to you, who doesn't own a Hyundai but loves to post negative spin on them for less than obvious reasons.