Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• swingmanswingman Posts: 54
    when you let go of the wheel, does the car drive straight? (sometimes cars tend to wander one direction or another).
  • when you let go of the wheel, does the car drive straight? (sometimes cars tend to wander one direction or another).

Pretty much. Like all cars it wanders a little at higher speeds and, when it does, you have to compensate with the steering wheel.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    edited April 2010
    They haven't announced the pricing but they said it will of course be more than the regular Sonata, probably somewhere in the range of the Turbo Limited (around $29K if I had to guess)

The mileage is estimated at 37 city/39 hwy, and at the Auto Show it seemed to have most of the same features as the Limited inside (leather, moonroof, turn signals on mirrors, etc.)

As someone else said, it's not due out until late fall/early winter.
  • sjwrsjwr Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Great! Finally an attractive looking large gasoline hybrid vehicle that lets you get good mileage even on mid to long distance highway trips.

Hybrids until now only did well in the city but not on highways..., so I had been looking at the VW diesel TDI for a long time(Prius, no match for TDI... only good for city).

But now, since Hyundai introduced the new Sonata Hybrid which gets good mileage both in & out of the city, I think my search is over...
  • engbertengbert Posts: 9
    The transmission on the 2011 Sonata is so smooth you will not notice the changes unless you are trying to detect them, or watch the RPM.

It does change on minor grades - that is what it is meant to do.
  • 101649101649 Posts: 192
    Are there any engineers out there who can explain the concept for the "split connecting rods" used in the new Sonata engines??
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    So assuming a fully loaded Turbo limited will at least be in spitting distance of 30k, does that add any other cars to the comparable list? Still short of a G37 or A4 and the like. Base Maxima maybe? VW CC?
  • From Hyundai:

The splitting type of steel con rod is made of high carbon micro-alloyed steel with no additional heat treatment after hot forging. This con rod blank is forged in one-die mold and later fracture splitted. Unlike the conventional types where the rods and caps are separately forged and machined, this steel split con rod needs no additional rod/cap contact face milling which means a substantial savings in machining cost. Besides, a firm contact between rod and cap improves stiffness and compatibility with other crank-train moving parts - a definite merit in engine performance.
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    Nice to see Hyundai reply
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    If you want to keep your comparable list to cars that use regular gas(not premium) you wouldn't use the either the Maxima or the CC. Plus the CC has only 200hp and a DSG which is nice to use but has a huge service bill every 40k or so and the Maxima has CVT.

The new G25 due out this late fall from Infiniti will probably list for around 30K and will have some comparable numbers/features. However, also will probably require premium fuel and is also a rear wheel drive auto so not really comparable.

The Buick Regal will be somewhat similarly priced but I think that is probably already an accepted competitior to the Sonata. Even the new Lacrosse could be but to stay in that range the Lacrosse would probably have cloth interior and the 4cyl, 182hp. Really not be comparable equipmentwise.

IMO the comparable list will still be the uplevel mainstay midsize cars like Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Fusion/Milan, Legacy, Altima etc. not entry level luxury cars. But being comparable on paper still doesn't mean people might not cross shop. I certainly would.
  • dahm21dahm21 Posts: 3
    Can get Acura for $27500 or Sonata Limited for $24000-

Is Acura $3500 better?
    I cant tell which one is bigger- I know Sonata specs are larger but minimal.

Also- i drive 25k miles year- which will have better value after 5 years (125k miles)?

Thanks
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I am very impressed with the new Hyundai Sonata! It is very attractive. I picture it with 18in wheels, decent tint and it would truly look like its on another level. Good for them for producing a nice engine with a 6spd transmission. Not only producing a new look, but newer technology. The interior looks great too! Pretty high end looking.
    It could totally be a contender with the TSX for those that don't want to spend the extra cash on the TSX. Personally, the TSX is probably worth the extra cash, but will you notice it driving the Sonata? Most people probably won't, plus you can save some cash. People that are Honda/Acura fans are going to notice that its not.

Though this is a new model, time will tell if its value will hold up well. I am sure it will. But, the Acura is known to hold very well. So if you keep it long term, your Acura will keep longer.

I am very impressed! So awesome for Hyundai to put themselves out there and produce a product with some guts. More than I can say for Honda, when the Accord fell short in terms of style, played it safe. I think they'll have no choice to come out with a bang on a new model.

Still, comparing a TSX and a Sonata is a bit of a stretch, but the Sonata has more of that appeal, I would say more so than the Accord. Family sedan, or entry level luxury sedan. Accord better watch out. I love honda, and I would totally look at this car too! I have 1 year until I am looking again for a new car.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    I too compared the TSX with the 2011 Sonata. I decided it was not worth the extra $3-4k. It might be a different comparison once the 2011 TSX comes out.

Here's what I didn't like about the TSX comparatively:

1. Ugly interior styling, especially with tech package. Too many prominent, big buttons. Too much emphasis on the cd player. Is it still 1998?
    2. Smaller interior
    3. Hard to see/read nav screen (especially in sunlight)
    4. No push button start

You do get memory seats with the TSX, which is nice.

It's hard to talk about future value since the Hyundai is a brand new car.
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Posts: 29
    I've seen all the interiors, except the 'wine'. I doubt it's what we'd choose, but I'd like to see ALL the options before I sign on the dotted line.

I can't seem to find any photos or videos with that color interior. Anybody got a link?

Thanks,
    Tuckerdog1
  • akumaakuma Posts: 70
    the Sonata is considerably larger (classified as large car), but weighs less actually (almost 200 lbs) and has a slightly shorter turning radius. if you drive 25k+ miles a year, the Sonata also gets much better fuel mileage (35 mpg highway compared to 28-30 mpg for the TSX) and with regular unleaded as well, so you might save more than 20% on gas cost. the Sonata Limited might also be a more comfortable cruiser than the sportier TSX. but really, the only way to decide is to drive the cars yourself.
  • I've seen other listings on cars.com with more/better pics, but here's one that I found quickly: Wine Interior
  • gary045gary045 Posts: 81
    Thanks engbert, I can live with a smooth downshift on grades. Especially if I don't notice it...lol I guess having a 6 spd transmission helps.

The GM I had only had a 4 spd, so when it dropped down a gear it felt like you were going to pass someone.
    Plus in order to claim a decent gas mileage the eng only turns about 1800 RPM at 70. Way out of the horsepower and torque range.
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Posts: 29
    Thanks Darkhelmet.

I think I'm going with the black.

Tuckerdog1
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    I've got a harbor gray with gray interior,on hold coming in supposedly on the 7th, would have liked black, but black gets hotter in the summer.
  • abigmuttabigmutt Posts: 37
    i'm sorry if i'm asking something already covered, but i've been away from this Sonata forum for a while ......
    are there any red limiteds coming out of the factory yet? i had a deal for one with my dealer, but they recently withdrew the solid price offer on that one, they said because there were none out there to be had.
    so i have to renegotiate if one suddenly comes along. sure is annoying, when you think you have a solid deal on a supposedly-existing item and they withdraw the offer.
    but in their defense, the contract did say it was only good for 30 days, and that expired the other day.
    right now i'm ticked off enough to just wait it out and get a turbo or hybrid once those come out.

anyone else had something similar happen to them?

thanks.