Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    I believe you mean reliability index of a given model. Best source is Consumer Report which rates 2006-2010 Sonatas 4 cyl, as above average and well recommended. For 2011 Sonata, there is no data since it takes a year from the release year to accumulate data and CR comes out with April auto issue when all the models are rated.

2011 Sonata is a wonderful car and CR did a comparison with other vehicles rates them as no. 2 on their list of best midsize cars after Altima, based on performance, safety, value and reliability. Since CR is ad. free its less influenced by adv. dollars like other auto magazines. Another good source is JD Powers initial and 3 year old model survey. No data on 2011 Sonata there either.

CR rates Honda as most reliable brand name and Accord has the best resale of all the midsize cars. Due to heavy factory to dealer incentive besides 1200 rebates, the Accords are being marked off by 2k to 2500 k off invoice! You can get LX-P 4cyl Accord sedan with AT for 19500-19,800 (destination included) plus TTL. Add invoice value to each upgrade package, so EX will be for 1600 -1700 more!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,010
    Since CR is ad. free its less influenced by adv. dollars like other auto magazines

I've seen many, many people make this statement and I have once had anyone prove it or provide information to back it up other than "well, they take advertising dollars so they must phony up their reviews" or "they didn't agree with me so they must be on the take".

I'm not naive enuought to think that it's not possible(live in the Chicago area) but these mags have reputations to maintain. How many people have worked for them over the years and nobody has "confessed" to slanting a story because a manufacturer was a big advertiser. These mags take ad dollars from just about every manufacturer so how would they decide who to favor unless there was huge payoffs.

I just wish people would stop saying unless they can actually prove it.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    What is the horse power of the Honda 6? What is the horsepower of the Sonata Turbo? That should answer your question.
    edited June 2010
    Suggest you visit this website for your answer.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/hyundai-new-2-0-turbo-hits-60-in-6-5-seconds-- - returns-34-mpg-hi/
    I also believe the 270HP Accord is priced around $36,000
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,738
    The Accord EX V6 starts at $27.5k MSRP including destination.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 418
    I must be reading you wrong. You're saying you can not compare a turbo to a V6.

Honda V6: 271 hp Torque: 254 ft-lbs.

Hyundai Turbo: 274HP and 269 lb-ft of torque

You most certainly can compare them.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,765
    edited June 2010
    I've seen many, many people make this statement and I have once had anyone prove it or provide information to back it up other than "well, they take advertising dollars so they must phony up their reviews" or "they didn't agree with me so they must be on the take".

Next time someone tells you that ask them how much money CR spends in testing, gathering information, compiling information, writing reviews, laying out each issue, printing each issue and distribution costs. Then add in all the costs of the support (clerks, accountants, lawyers, custodians, receptionists and the like) and ask them if the $2-3 an issue CR charges covers all those costs.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

edited June 2010
    I also believe the 270HP Accord is priced around $36,000

What have you been smoking? The Acura TL is priced less than that and has 280hp and the base G37 with 328hp is priced at about $34115!
    edited June 2010
    I'm not smoking anything. When I was car shopping I can tell you that the Sonata SE I purchased was approx $6k less than an equivelent equiped Accord or Altima.
    I don't think there is a Honda made in the size and performance of the 2011 Sonata for the same price. However price was not the reason for my selection. In my opinion the styling of the new Sonata is much more appealing than the accord and the warranty is better than both Honda and Nissan.
    I even considered the Ford Fusion but again price was much higher for a less dramatic body style.
    Try this webpage:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/honda/accord/101201282/compare.html
    Where were you shopping where you found an Accord V6 priced at $36000?
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    I suppose a sonata turbo would cost $36000 if you add special wheels, top spoilers, bottom spoilers, remote starters, etc etc. Let's get real tho.
    That's pretty funny. Does you SE have remote starter too?
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

I have drove both the Maxima SV with premium package and the Sonata Limited. The Maxima is superior in every aspect. Adding the turbo is not going change that. Street prices for a loaded Sonata Turbo and a loaded Maxima will be not be that different. The extra grand or two for the Maxima is worth it. The Sonata turbo needs to be priced lower.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    Except you end up paying too much money for one of the most nondescript, boring looking cars in its price range.
  • 1) Honda's V6 does not have cylinder deactivation.

2) Hyundai's Sonata turbo produces its peak torque of 269 lb ft from 1800rpm to 4400 rpm.
    Honda's V6's peak torque of 254 lb ft is produced @ 5000 rpm.

You need to rev crap out of the V6 to even get close to what the Sonata is producing at only 1800rpm.

You will IMMEDIATELY notice the power difference on the Sonata. 269 lb ft of torque is enough to throw you back in your seats
    My Sonata came with 18" premium wheels and pusbutton start. I am comparing the price I paid for my Sonata SE vs the equivelent Honda/Altima I priced in NY with similar features.
    Have you shopped for a Honda recently? Knock off the wise cracks. I'm a professional educated person and I know what I'm buying and speaking of. You don't have to like the Sonata or Hyundai corporation but give them their worth when they deserve it.
    Don't forget to add the extended warranty to compare the Honda to the Hyundai. You cannot buy an Accord/Altima with 10 yr warranty in the class of the Sonata SE for less than $29k plus sales tax.
    edited June 2010
    What's so funny? My Sonata came with pusbutton start and premium 18" wheels. As I said I priced it with same features as an Accord/Altima. Do me a favor and see if you can buy an Accord with the same or similar features as my Sonata SE with a 10 yr warranty for $23k.

Not to mention my Sonata is a 2011 vs 2010, Better styling, and roomier. My car turns heads everywhere I go. My neighbors Accord looks similar to the 2006 Sonata I previously owned.
    It is better looking than the Accord, Camry, and Sonata. The Maxima's interior and drivetrain is far superior. The Maxima feels alot faster than the Sonata.
  • ins0mn1acins0mn1ac Posts: 4
    It turns out that buying it directly from the company that sells it also is about the same, $1750. I would really like to know what price others paid for the HPP platinum plan. Thanks.
    It's definitely not better looking than the 2011 Sonata! That's my opinion shared by every auto rater in the Country except Nissan owners. And try to buy one for the same price as the Sonata! I'll grant you the Maxima will perform a little better than the Sonata but it is not bigger, better looking and costs thousands more.
    Where can you buy a Maxima loaded like the Sonata Limited for $26k.
    Maybe a previously owned with less than 10k mi. And still the warranty will not take you to the yr 2021.
  • mbzxmbzx Posts: 9
    Hi, I have tried to post a review for a 2011 Sonata SE but as soon as I hit the submit button, I get slapped with the message, "Invalid Parameter" and there is no recourse for fixing any problem in the data entry. Is this some kind of trick to curtail the review posting for a particular brand, genuine bug in the software, or my ignorance? Does anybody know? Thanks. :sick:
    U.S News and World report (which is just a gathering of data from many sources)
    rates the Maxima 8.6 exterior and 8.0 interior. Sonata 8.8 exterior and 7.8 interior.

So ...

"It's definitely not better looking than the 2011 Sonata! That's my opinion shared by every auto rater in the Country except Nissan owners."

Is an untrue statement. Pretty much a wash according to the media.

Personally I prefer the Maxima inside and out.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    Post details about what happened, at what point it happened, and what browser you were using in the Our Software discussion. That's where people who can fix such things read.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

May I ask what you presently drive?
    Shopping for a replacement to last me another 10 years.
    Looking at (in no particular order) the Acura TL, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G37X, and Sonata turbo. Leaning towards the TL or Maxima. Not sure I can wait for the Sonata turbo.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Where can you buy a Maxima loaded like the Sonata Limited for $26k.

We were comparing the Limited Turbo to the Maxima. The Limited Turbo will end up selling for about $2k less than the Maxima. If you're evaluating in terms of performance, Maxima wins that battle hands down. If you're evaluating in more subjective terms (appearance), then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Very telling that you are shopping those four cars directly against each other. 18 months ago that would have been unheard of, but it's at least worth consideration now. I'm actually shopping the exact same cars, but dismissed the TL because I HATE the new design (particularly the front end).

I'll need to drive the Turbo and see how it handles. Turbo might bump the HP up to be competitive, but I'll be curious how the Limited Turbo suspension handles against sport sedans like the others.
    edited June 2010
    I'm kind of in the same situation. I think we all would love to have the Sonata or upcoming Optima turbos to be a winner in all respects so we can save some money over a comparably equipped G37, Maxima, TL etc. However comparably equipped on paper they may be there is still a big difference in richness of materials. Leather in luxury brands is a lot nicer than the leather in the Hyundais. Bluetooth, suspensions, interior materials etc are just very much nicer in those cars. It's pie in the sky thinking that they are the same just because the appear the same on paper.

What attracts me to the Sonata/Optima turbo is nice power and the MPG to go along with it on regular gas and the warranty. If the suspension can be improved and become at least competitive(a habitual Hyundai weakness as well as less refined but perfectly good engines) I will consider the turbo models. I know that I won't be getting the same richness of the luxury brands but for a few thousand less it's a decent tradeoff. But, if the suspension isn't right I won't be buying it. I almost bought a 2007 Sonata but bought the Mazda6 instead because of the suspension. Otherwise I liked them both pretty much the same as the pros and cons were about equal but the suspension and sloppy handling I just couldn't put up with. Hopefully Hyundai will improve on that because I think they are an up and coming brand and have shown great improvement in most other aspects of their cars.