Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• rexgrexg Posts: 27
    edited June 2010
    I must say I absolutely love my new Limited -- looks, performance, economy, special features. Can anyone clue me in on mounting the front license plate without damaging the finish? I don't see any holes or other obvious way to do it.

Sorry for such a tardy response, but I just encountered this issue when my temporary registration expired and I needed to mount my permanent plates. When I removed the cheap plastic frame (surrounding a plastic insert with dealer advertizing) from the front bumper, I was surprised to find that there was no proper mounting bracket for the front license plate. Just two ragged holes that were apparently drilled in haste and not properly cleaned up. This must be something that was done at the dealer. I cannot believe that such shoddy work would have come from the factory.

Anyhow, I used some thin vinyl weatherstripping to achieve an acceptable mount that protects the finish. It does not show at all and it prevents the license plate from directly contacting the bumper. I used a self-stick type of weatherstriping that is widely available at Home Depot or Lowes. I stuck the weatherstripping to the back of the license plate, not the bumper. After some experimentation, I settled on a strip running across the top of the plate just above the upper mounting holes (and slightly below the top edge of the plate). And two vertical strips which run from the upper mounting holes to the lower mounting holes on each side of the plate.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    Once every three weeks you come on this form telling people that you are doing this so we will not get killed , but yet you refuse to give GOOD information.I think you just want to cause trouble. I for one would not beleave you until you give the facts that people have asked for. If this was true and you really cared ( like you say you do ) you would give facts.I am happy you got another brand of car.
    I got my 2011 Limited on April 20th and I love it.
  • mommytmommyt Posts: 42
    Good for you. I'm glad that you got a good one! I'm glad that thousands of Hyundai customers were lucky enough to get the good one! =} I am happy for everyone who is enjoying their new sonata.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but don't flatter yourself by thinking that they would contact you. This would cause a panic and maybe a slight drop in sales.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    "It's an isolated issue."

Since to date it's about 2 cars in 100,000, I'd have to agree with that.

Hyundai never sent you an email address? But you knew how to contact Hyundai to report the problem. You know where your local dealer is. You know the Hyundai Customer Service phone number. All kinds of ways to provide them with your video.

If they know what the problem is, they can issue a recall for the specific cars affected--even if it's all 2011 Sonatas made up to the time they found the problem (assuming that once they found it, they fixed it on cars made after that). Hyundai has recalled large numbers of cars before for safety-related defects. Do you know for a fact that Hyundai will not take such action because of the expense, or is that your opinion?
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    Again you never answer the questions in the post. You just provide verbage that does nothing to help current and potential owners. I said my Dealer who has more influence than I would like info from you to procure the video you sent so he can get Hyundai to comment.
    You also avoid answering about the 5 other Sonatas at your Dealership and what the Dealer did with the Sonata he repurchased from you. If you were really concerned for the safety of others and you sold back to your Dealer a deathtrap, I would think you would be very closely following the whereabouts of that car and the 5 others.
    Just to add to your story, last week a 2010 Ford Fusion blew a tire on the NY Thruway and 3 people were seriously hurt. Should we all avoid buying a Ford Fusion because of a safety defect at Ford.
    And finaly do you truly believe Hyundai has a serious design flaw that they do not want the public to know about for fear of reduced sales. In my area it is very difficult to find a Sonata SE on the lot.
    Good for you. I wish you the best with your new car. Whenever I send an email or letter it takes a lot of time to get a response from any of them. I have stated the facts. I can't make you believe me, I can only hope you will. I wish this never happened so I could be driving around in my sonata too. Happy 4th! Be safe. :)
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I'm sorry to say I have a hard time with what your saying. To me it all sounds suspect due to the lack of cooperation on your part. People before machine right. If I were in your shoes, I'd provide all necessary information to prove that this indeed happened to me. I'm pretty sure most of the posters here think this story is exactly as it sounds, a made up story. I've seen where some people with a lesser issue with car go to great lengths to have a problem corrected on their car, I'm talking pictures, emails, letters, phone calls etc. All information they had/owned went to prove their case, while your attempt seems more like avoidance. Why are you really holding back your video footage to us?Is their something on it to disprove your concern? Who was actually doing the video taping? I always wondered that.
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    Are you for real?The trunk is very big over 16ft,what are you looking for a bus!The license goes in the front .The dealer does that and the Sonata is one of the best looking cars out thereI understand there's taste for everybody that's differant but the Sonata is beautiful.I've test drove it and buying one as soon as my girlfriend comes back from a nursing home..
    I didn't avoid answering your questions. I have already told what they did in previous posts. They replaced the column in my car and planned to sell it. Since they changed the column, they believed it to be "better than new and perfectly safe". As for the other 5 or 6, they wouldn't even admit to red tagging them. Without VIN numbers, I can only hope they replaced the columns in them too. The whole thing is being investigated. Hyundai was supposed to be investigating it themselves...also previously stated.
    I never said to not purchase the darn car!
    As for the Ford Fusion, I had also stated that I did like the car but didn't purchase it because it has the same steering unit as the sonata. Good thing...I would have really been freaked out, after what we had gone through with the sonata. :)
    I know the SE's seem to be the most popular Sonata's. It is an affordable luxury car. Middle income families are able to finally afford a car with everything.
    You would not believe how badly I want to tell you what you want to know. I am afraid of legal actions. I don't know if I have a right to give the VIN number names of dealerships and salesmen etc.... My husband and son switched seats once we were parked. My son actually used my phone to video from the back seat.
    I also didn't want the wrong person to get the video and mess with it. It is my proof.
    signing off for the day. :(
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited June 2010
    mommyt, I think you want Hyundai to call you personally, and admit the car was defective and dangerous. That's not the way it works, and you shouldn't take it personally. When they get reports like yours, they have umpteen departments that have to investigate it. The gears turn slowly, and their lawyers will never allow them to admit fault. That's why the NHSTA has a clearinghouse. You did the right thing, but don't hold it against the auto maker (whether it's Hyundai, Ford, or Toyota etc.) Blame it on the US government and the tort system, which make an impossible environment for even the best intentioned car makers to function in a friendly, personal way with their customers.

I'm on your side dear. I have no doubt something happened to you, and I know how frustrating it is trying to get info out of lawyered-up Corporations. I have a feeling that even Hyundai is on your side more than you know, but chances are slim you'll ever hear it from them.
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    READ THIS POST I'VE FOUND AMONG MANY POSTS I'VE FOUND ON THE HYUNDA FORUMS.

LOOK AT THIS POST ON Hyundai Forums,I LOVE THE SONATA BUT IT WORRIES ME..

I decided to look in a different direction and not purchase one because of this issue. The first time I drove an SE the pull/drift was very noticeable, especially while braking. I decided to drive a gls and then a limited, didn't notice the pull but could feel the road too much, didn't feel like a new car to me.
    I'm presently researching, yet again, other cars, will probably stay with the brand I've been with for many years now. But you will find something wrong with each one, just depends on what is acceptable and where you drive it the most. With my son going to college 3 hours north and my daughter wanting to go 3 hours south, I need something that stays on the highway without effort.
    edited June 2010
    If your husband and son switched seats I must assume the car was stopped or parked as you stated. Can you tell me what your son took video of since the car was parked and the failure had alreasdy occured. I was under the impression the video you have was taken during the failure which would show the vehicle going out of control. Sorry but now I am really confused.
    And where is your Sonata now? Did the Dealer sell it as used or new? Just curious but do you live in a state that requires a title for xferring an auto?
    Tire pressure is critical with low profile tires. I have no pull issue with my SE and neither do my friends with their Limited and GLS. I'm speaking of at least 13 Sonatas purchased by my friends at the Club. If you really like the Sonata I would try a different Dealer for a test drive and make sure tire pressure is correct. Also make sure you are not test driving a car from mommyt's dealer. We all know he has a stack of bad vehicles.
    The video was of the steering wheel shaking AFTER the car was stopped--that was made clear earlier. The other report on a similar incident, on the NHTSA web site, noted the steering wheel shook after the car was stopped also.
  • ins0mn1acins0mn1ac Posts: 4
    I asked in a post before if $1795 is a reasonable price for the platinum HPP extended warranty with zero deductible for 10yr/100K. Then I realized that different people may have purchased different levels of coverage that may be misleading. So, I request anyone in this forum who purchased the Hyundai extended warranty to please post here what they paid for what level of coverage (gold/platinum etc., year/miles). Thanks very much for all your help.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,722
    Do you know for a fact that Hyundai will not take such action because of the expense, or is that your opinion?

Let me state this. Several years ago my 7 year old 130K+ mile Elantra developed a cracked exhaust manifold. This was due t0 Hyundai getting a batch of bad ones at the time my car was made. Hyundai fixed it for no cost without me even asking.

I have heard a few other stories about Hyundai that makes me think that they will try to fix a known problem.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

My 2001 Elantra was covered under that extended warranty also--and my sister (sold it to her a few years ago) got a new manifold for free recently, after nearly 10 years.

Also, my 2004 Elantra was recalled for a problem with the gas filler tube. I don't know if my car actually had a problem, but a lot of cars were affected by the recall. There have been other Hyundai recalls that affected quite a few cars. Consider that in the early days of the 2011 Sonata, Hyundai recalled all made to date because of a problem with the power lock switch--door wouldn't open if the "lock" button were held down. :confuse: So this kind of history leads me to believe Hyundai would recall a car with a serious problem with the steering.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867
    After the Toyota fiasco, and how they handled it, I doubt any of the major manufacturers would risk a cover-up. It can be more costly than a recall. I believe that if Toyota hadn't taken so long, they'd have had fewer people in panic mode. As it was, news about the issue was leaking out, and people freaked out.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jsmit86jsmit86 Posts: 116
    Huh????? SPAM! :mad:
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    Thank you very much for nothing and you have a good life. It was nice hearing from you again,and maybe you can post again next year.
  • mbzxmbzx Posts: 9
    I purchased 2011 Sonata SE 4 days ago from a dealer in MD and drove back home (NJ) driving about 180 miles. It was the most exciting time I have ever had in driving a family car. The acceleration was unbelievably smooth for a 4 banger and it was just the best highway driving machine that's way better than my 2008 ML320 that I drove there to pick it up. The car is so much fun and exciting to drive and it easily accelerates to 80-100 MPH if you don't watch your speed. I was a little apprehensive about the decision to go with 2011 Sonata due to some persistent negative comments here but now I am a convert to Hyundai for life. My next purchase will not be a Merc but Hyundai. :)
  • jasony79jasony79 Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    It would actually take you 4 years at 10,000 miles/year with the federal tax credit. If you're looking at it strictly from a frugal point of view, which is likely for many GLS buyers, the hybrid would actually make more sense if you can tolerate the smaller trunk space.

$25k-$3.4k = $21.6k. A base automatic with nothing added on is $20,195. $21,600-$20,195 = $1,405. At 38mpg for 10,000 with $3/gal, you pay $789 a year. At 26mpg for 10,000 with $3/gal, you pay $1,154 a year. $1,154-$789 = $365. $1,405/$365 = 3.85 years. That's about 4 years with interest accrued. If you drove it for 10 years, you'd save over $2k.

The negative impacts to the environment are far less in the life cycle of a hybrid.
    Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnNEVdtzi4
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,722
    Just remember that you have 6 more months to get that federal tax credit and the Sonata Hybrid isn't out yet. There is going to be a mighty small window to get that credit.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

I didn't say that they wouldn't fix it. I said that they are not going to contact their customers and ask them to bring the car in to make sure that it doesn't have the same problem as mine did!
    I know this for a fact, because I requested that they do that and they told me that it would be too much of an expense. I even suggested that they check for the defect when the customers bring the car in for a service. This way they don't have to tell the customer that there is a possible problem. They told me that there is no reason to do that because it is an isolated issue! I asked both the Dealership and Hyundai and got the same answer from both! They just don't care. :(
    You have to go to them....they aren't going to voluntarily contact you unless they do a recall. :surprise:
    Seriously?
    Why do you continue to ask questions that have already been answered over and over? :confuse:
    We all know that you aren't having a problem with your car, and that's great!
    We all know that you think that what happened to me and my family was made up. Now you are upset because more people are reporting the same issue and it is just eating at you. You will never admit that you were wrong about me and this whole situation. There are people out there that will make things up just to get you going, but I am not one of them. :shades:
    Comments that just say "spam" are as annoying as the spam itself. Just sayin'.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thank you so much. It's nice to know that someone understands my view of this. :)
    It is frustrating and hurtful to know that people could possibly be injured and they won't or can't tell anyone what is going on. It is making me crazy! :P
    I hope Hyundai is on my side. It would be nice if they would call me back like they said they would. I hope that they didn't just dismiss what happened. I get the feeling that they did dismiss it because they didn't follow up with us.
    I don't expect them to admit that the car is defective and dangerous. I do expect them to at least check and make sure that everyone was safe by at least admitting that there were some defective parts that may have slipped through. But they won't because of the repercussions.
    It is a fabulous car, and I hope this is the last issue they will have with it.
    It was my first brand new car. I didn't know how the system worked. It is what it is, but I don't have to agree with it.
    :D I am very new to this internet stuff. This is the first time I have joined a forum. I am learning the hard way with this too.
    We're going to put a close to this line of conversation, barring additional information. It's gotten beyond the point where it's useful to anyone, and if we continue, it'll all end in tears.

All of the info I have (and I have slightly more) indicates that mommyt DID experience a traumatic accident in her Hyundai Sonata, and something was amiss.

As there is no way to verify additional reports, I'm going to ask that we not post allegations of other incidents or potential defects unless new, verifiable info becomes available. If that happens, we can continue, but mommyt has apparently posted all the info she's comfortable posting, and further exhortations to divulge more info aren't likely to produce a different result.

Thank you.

I want to thank you for all of your help. I also wanted to let you know that the video is on youtube under the title of: My 2011 Hyundai Sonata Steering Problem. At least everyone will now know that it is true. Thanks again :)