Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    You said "the only advantage of an SE would be visual improvements, fog lights and push button start"

To me, the only thing that would steer me to the SE is the paddle shifters. Why are they not available on the Limited? Foolish I say. I just do not like the Santa Fe's leather & cloth seats (they're downright uncomfortable compared to the all-cloth, strangely), and fear that the Sonata will be similarly uncomfortable. Maybe the Turbo Limited will offer both full leather and paddles...
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    The main advantage of the SE is the upgraded suspension/sportier ride. The 18 inch performance tires, paddle shifters, monotube rear shocks, sports tuned dampers, and other suspension upgrades are the main benefits over the other trims. Two extra HP/torque isn't much but I bet the duel exhaust will sound and look nicer as well. Plus it is several thousand dollars less than the Limited and surely less weight since there is no seat heaters/sunroof, it just depends what you are looking for out of the car.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Plus it is several thousand dollars less than the Limited and surely less weight since there is no seat heaters/sunroof, it just depends what you are looking for out of the car.

I'm looking for paddle shifter, 16 or 17" wheels, push button start, heated leather seats, and GPS, and no sun roof. As usual, I won't be able to get exactly what I want.
  • dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    Let me make it clear my comment was directed at The Car Connection and not you. One thought that was in my mind while posting that never seemed to make it to my fingertips was this: the press release said "Hints at future D-segment saloon". That'd be in the range of the Ford Mondeo; not the range the Grandeur competes in. In fact, I fully expect the i-40 to be a bit smaller than the YF Sonata to better compete in Europe. Europe gets a smaller Accord than we do.

From the looks of the spy photos I've seen, the next Grandeur/Azera is definitely going to be larger, significantly larger than the YF Sonata. I wouldn't even be surprised if Europe doesn't even get it or if they do it won't be a Grandeur but rather an i-something and possibly will be smaller than the Grandeur/Azera the rest of the world gets.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I appreciate the reply, but can anyone confirm the wood color/style on the Limited Camel Interior? Is it Black, or more like walnut maple etc...
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    m6, we probably walked right by each other. I was there with my wife for something over 4 hours. Hyundai was one stop among many. While I looked at the Sonata as you noted it was pretty crammed with people so I didn't get too close. I love the body lines but the car does look big & long now whereas the former body was certainly big but just didn't look it.

I did sit in a Genesis 4.6 Tech and that was one nice cabin, Very, very comfortable seats and the instrument panel was pleasingly designed. I could see myself in one if I hadn't just bought my Outlander GT (and the wife won't let me by RWD).

The big disappointment was the Elantra. My wife has an 01 and wants to replace it in a couple of years. Sitting in the current one she felt it was practically the same as her old one. At a glance I had to agree. The exterior has been made over but the interior is strikingly similar. Just evolved some and less than one would hope with a decade between them. They also had the battery disconnected so we couldn't pop the trunk open. :mad:

Equus looks awesome, as it should. But I'm thinking if they bring it over Hyundai will be very sedan-heavy with Accent (if you count it), Elantra, Sonata, Azera, Genesis, and Equus.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Seeing an interesting amount of comments on inclusion (or lack) of the paddle shifters. Very surprised that this is getting attention on a 200hp vehicle. Maybe because I'm a life-long AT driver, but I have trouble grasping how the performance-conscious driver that would typically yearn for this type of mechanism ends up in this vehicle (or even the expected turbo). Is it just the overall elimination of the clutch pedal that people are seeking?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited February 2010
    I think the Sonata's perception of being long is due to it's roofline being lowered and sloping in rear. I think the vehilce is pretty much the same length as before but the previous version had a more upright greenhouse....pulling the ends up and in so to speak.

The one thing I did notice was that several people commented on the headroom. I'm 5'9.5" and don't have a lot of hair on top :cry: and my hair, when I sat straight up, brushed the ceiling in the back seat. I saw a guy(while I was in the back seat) try to get in the drivers seat and bumped his head and gave up. He looked to be about 6'3". However, I think there was a short women in the driver's seat just before him and probably had the seat adjusted way up. All those things have to be taken into consideration and most of the time it is just a matter of getting used to something because it's a little different.

I know what you mean about the Elantra interior. I'm sure the new remake(I think '11 model) will address that and it will be much more modern and nice like the new Tuscon's interior hopefully. Personally, I don't like the exterior now either....kind of reminds me of a fish or soemthing.

I won't buy a rear wheel drive car anymore unless I can get it in all-wheel drive like a Legacy or something. I have a two-wheel drive pickup and don't drive it much in the winter for that reason. I know people will say "Oh with traction control and all the other stuff it doesn't matter anymore". I say thats BS however that strictly my opinion.

The only other non-lux midsize sedan's interior I like as well as the Sonata's was the Legacy and Passat but both are 3-4k more comparably equipped. I really would like to like the Fulan but it just isn't on par for me.

Besides the new Sonata, the only other time I can remember a midsize car being so dramatically changed for the better from one model year to the next was when the Malibu changed to it's current form. Didn't it win car of the year or something like that?
    edited February 2010
    Well personally, my ideal vehicle would be a sports sedan like the Infinity G37 or an M3. Being as I can't afford either of those, a lightweight 200 HP/3199 lb. Sonata SE with sports tuned suspension and paddle shifters should be plenty fun to drive, relatively powerful (0-60 in the low 7's?) and yet still roomy and luxurious inside and not bad for a long road trip or for carting three friends out to dinner. I would wait for the turbocharged SE but my current car is on the way out so I cannot afford to wait for the turbo to get here.

I am also a little bit weary about getting a turbo, although I love the idea of boosting the HP of course. Don't most turbo engines need synthetic oil and/or premium gasoline? and what about reliability - surely pushing the engine so hard all the time can't be good?

The bottom line is I can't think of many cars for $22,500 that have the balance of comfort, sporty handling, luxury, and standard features as the Sonata SE. As far as the paddle shifters - yes - I am young and don't like using a clutch, I find it to be a distraction more than anything. The best is the clutch-less manual system but those are only found on high end luxury vehicles unfortunately, so paddle shifters are the next best thing. And 200 HP certainly isn't weak, the Sonata has 3 HP and 47 lb. torque over a Honda Civic Si, and is only about 200 lbs. heavier and $400 more. Of course there are about 1000 features over the Civic that the Sonata gives you, and it looks better too. That decision is a no brainer for me.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Podcast is live .. pretty cool!
    Besides the new Sonata, the only other time I can remember a midsize car being so dramatically changed for the better from one model year to the next was when the Malibu changed to it's current form

05-06 Sonata was a big jump in quality, safety, and styling.
  • splxsplx Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2010
  • dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    :) FYI All: The IIHS just released its test results for the YF. The 2011 Sonata is a Top Safety Pick.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Wow, top safety pick! Hyundai is laying down the gauntlet. Where's the Camcords?
    Oh that's right, not on the list ..
    Yeahhh this Sonata is awesome. I was surprised to see that Hyundai only expects 10% to be the SE model, I guess people either want cheap or they want luxury, not in the middle. Plus I think there is the Sonata's stigma as traditional and not sporty compared to other models, which just isn't true if you test drive them. I have driven Malibus and Accords, it is way better than that. Above and beyond.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    fushigi,

what do you mean by same? current Elantra very different than 2001 model. exterior is different, interior is different, and it became much bigger interior volume wise. ride is definitely better than the previous model. it's a complete redesign. i don't really like them, but it's not a bad value.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/images/01elantra_int.jpg
    2001 elantra interior

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/multimedia/photo_gallery/8261067/0802_02_a+2009- _hyundai_elantra_touring+interior_view.jpg
    -current gen elantra interior

it's not the best in its class, but it's definitely not the worst. and it doesn't look same at all.
    and it doesn't look same at all.

Big difference! The new one is even in full color. ;)
  • awahooawahoo Member Posts: 15
    You guys are getting prices that are at invoice or below. I have searched every dealer in my area (Virginia) and even searched Fitzmall in Maryland. Most are quoting above MSRP for a GLS with minimal options. Does this mean they will be selling at a premium initially? I sure hate to have to drive to Georgia or Florida to get the good price.
    and even searched Fitzmall in Maryland. Most are quoting above MSRP for a GLS with minimal options.

Don't know which Fitzmall in MD website you checked but the one I just checked had almost two pages of '11s and the GLS were running about $500 under MSRP and the Limiteds were running about $1000 under MSRP. I checked their Florida location and they were about $1200 under MSRP for GLS and almost 2K under on LTDs.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    is there a recorded version of it anywhere on the site? i completely missed it.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My wife has driven an '01 Elantra for almost 9 years. She's familiar with it. She sat in the new one yesterday and felt it wasn't particularly different. Updated, yes, but just that. Nothing revolutionary. Nothing that says "wow, this is so much better". Nothing that would convince her to buy one over some of the other cars in that segment.

The outside was freshened to make the rear swoopy and had some other modifications but again there's nothing dramatic. As someone noted, it looks kind of like a fish now. Different but still not dramatic and to be honest not a look she nor I find all that attractive.

Oh, I will agree it's definitely not the worst in class either. She sat in the new Focus, for instance, and really did not like it at all. The switch gear was cheap and the head rest was canted too far forward. She's short and drive with the seatback nearly vertical and found it not comfortable at all.

Her favorites were the Cruze and the Lancer in that order.

But none of this relates directly to the Sonata so if you want to continue this let's move to an Elantra thread.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2010
    I'm in Ohio and I'm getting the LTD w/nav for invoice thru the Sam's Club Auto progam. See if you have something like that in you neck of the woods.

According to the Sams Club site price should be $250 below invoice for all Hyundai models...so I'm going in to see if they'll give it to me for that.

Planning on settling deal on Saturday. I will post my final outcome then.
  • jaimesonjaimeson Member Posts: 9
    Go here : Hyundai Media Live
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Equus looks awesome, as it should. But I'm thinking if they bring it over....

I take it you didn't talk to the Hyundai rep about the Equus. She told me it should be here by years end.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

During the webcast today Hyundai said the Equus was being released this year
    The Equus is being positioned against higher end Mercedes, Jaguar, Bentley type vehicles. I don't know how long Hyundai can go with this Genesis=BMW, Equus=Mercedes strategy before they have to create an entirely new luxury car division sold out of a different showroom than Hyundai.

When Lexus, Acura and Infiniti were born I don't remember them being sold out of Toyota, Honda and Nissan dealerships. Seems strange. Almost as if they trying to do too much too fast.
    no matter where hyundai position their cars, cars will battle against it's price segment. Genesis goes against Maxima, CC, avalon, ES350, lacrosse, and etc.
    Equus will fight against 50K luxury cars. Hyundai won't even sell 300 equus a year. it's just for the show. i'm all for it because all it does is to improve the brand image.
    edited February 2010
    I think the Genesis has all those cars pretty well covered. As for the Equus, that will remain to be seen but if the Genesis, Genesis Coupe, and Sonata are any indication I bet Hyundai will be offering a lot for the money.

They are going to have some work to do to convince rich people to trade in their Mercades for a new Hyundai, no matter how much better it may or may not be. I think they are mainly planning to take some market share away from cars like the Infinity M56 or 5-Series, but they better bring their A game to that one.
    Hyundai won't even sell 300 equus a year.

They'll sell that many the first month.
    edited February 2010
    No, the Equus is slated a lot higher than the 5 series. At the auto show they were showing people which seat in back of the Equus the VIP sits opposite "the driver". The Genesis is slated against the 3/5 series.

The rear wheel drive Genesis is also not slated against the front-wheel
    drive Maxima, LaCrosse or Avalon, the Azera is. At the auto show Hyundai was passing out cut sheets of the Azera with a comparo chart against the Avalon and LaCrosse. I'll go with who they think they're competitors are.

IMO they will have to develop a separate showroom concept or dealer network to really compete against Lexus, Acura etc. The level of service at a typical Hyundai dealer just won't cut it for luxury buyers. That's probably why when I go Hyundai dealers to see the new 2011 Sonata, all I see are tons of Genesis sitting out front. They look nice but I think they would sell a lot better from their own showroom.
    I doubt it but it's possible the first month. The second month probably half that at best.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    I bet Hyundai will be offering a lot for the money.

I have sat in the Equus, they are offering a lot for the money.

I think they are mainly planning to take some market share away from cars like the Infinity M56 or 5-Series

My guess is that they will be targeting people moving up from the more mainstream sedans to a more upscale one. They won't get many MB owners but they will grab a multitude of Chevy, Ford, Honda, Toyota etc owners looking to move up.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, that is really really huge IMO. That makes the 2011 Sonata the first Hyundai sedan other than the luxury Genesis to ace the IIHS crash tests. Ever. An important step in my book. It tells me Hyundai is finally getting serious about crash safety on their mainstream cars.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    They may not care if they sell that many over here. I assume they will also sell in other countries?

But it may also be just a halo car, although who knows if that actually works?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited February 2010
    Did everyone catch in the webcast that the Turbo was going to have well over 250hp. If it was over 260 he would have said it will be over 260 or something like that instead of well over 250. My guess....256.

Also, it was nice to hear that they are shooting for the same mpg numbers as the DI 2.4 and regular gas. If they can pull all that off at a decent price it would be sweet.

I wish someone from the press would have asked if the Turbo would be offered across the line or just in the higher trims or did I miss something?
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    I was kind of hoping they would have asked when the turbo is going to be on sale.
    They did and Hyundai said "this fall".
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    guess i missed that part. wish it was this summer instead.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I hope they didn't mean December 20. In the past, that is what "this fall" has translated to in Hyundai-speak. ;)
    At the auto show the Hyundai rep said this summer around July. He didn't hesitate so I took it as a totally rehearsed and approved comment for him to make. If it comes out like they want it to, it would be sweet whether its July or December. This car is now on my short list to replace my 07 Mazda6. Wife has racked up a lot of miles on it and I don't want to buy new tires. Sounds like a good reason to me. :D
    yeah I will have 20000 miles on my 2.4 SE, maybe I'll trade it in when the turbo comes out (I wish) haha
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    http://www.hyundaimedialive.com/sonata/webcast.php

About 4:30 into the Q&A

"once you drive the Sonata turbo, you'll really believe the V6 engines are going to go the way of the dinosaur in mid size sedans"

Jumped out at me. We'll see what's up soon enough I suppose.
    I'm just wondering if the current Ltd w/nav approaches 28k MSRP, what would the same combo cost w/ the turbo??? 30k? At that point, even with good discounts, you're into a territory with a lot of different kinds competition to look at.
    for 30k sonata turbo with nav is still highly competitive. let's face it, all the loaded v6 sedans are over 30k. maxima's of the world reaches 40k. 30k is no longer 30k of the past.

i think hyundai will always price sonata slightly lower than camry and accord when comparably equipped as long as they are chasing them.
    edited February 2010
    i doubt 300 people will by 55k hyundai in a month. that's just not possible. maybe my number was little too low. maybe 1000 a year?

remember genesis sedan sells about 800-1100 a month. Equus is way more expensive and it goes directly against 5/E series buyers.

but if somehow hyundai can price equus below 50k that would be a different story.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    My understanding is that it was Hyundai's original plan to launch a full luxury line (potentially even named Genesis) prior to the economy going into the tank. A full line launch costs a LOT of moolah, not just in marketing and branding but also in building out the separate showroom network. The current split between economy and luxury both under the Hyundai brand will likely change over time.
  • sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
    Just got an offer in NJ for a 2011 limited with a sticker of 26,150 at 23,715 plus tax and tags. They currently have 11 limiteds in stock and 14 more sonatas coming in the next week or so. I am looking for the red and they still dont have it but will in the coming week or two. What do you guys think?
    that's a great deal!! go for it! I always regret not waiting for the color. so would wait for the red if that's your favorite color.

For me, I'm going to keep my santa fe 1 more year and make my move with turbo with wine interior. can't wait!
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    Are you serious? I went thru Sams Club and they told me the program only allows them to sell for invoice. You got a heck of a deal! That is really awesome!

Wish I could get a deal like that!